Start by marking “The Glycemic-Load Diet” as Want to Read:
The Glycemic-Load Diet

The Glycemic-Load Diet

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"A cardiologist's revolutionary weight-loss plan that allows dieters to enjoy good carbs while still losing weight"

The glycemic index has been the basis of many popular diets. But it doesn't take into account the serving sizes people actually eat and eliminates too many foods for dieters to stick with it. Now Dr. Robert Thompson's breakthrough program uses the glycemic loa
Published March 23rd 2006 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Glycemic-Load Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glycemic-Load Diet

Weight Loss Secrets - How to get a slim, energetic, good look... by Lise GottliebThe Glycemic-Load Diet by Rob Thompson10 Years Younger in 10 Weeks by Thorbjörg HafsteinsdottirStop Losing Sleep by Kyle RichardsBreaking Up with Gluten by Roxanne N. McDonald
Best Health and Diet Books
2nd out of 17 books — 9 voters
Weight Loss Secrets - How to get a slim, energetic, good look... by Lise GottliebBreaking Up with Gluten by Roxanne N. McDonaldFood Yoga by Paul Rodney TurnerStop Losing Sleep by Kyle RichardsThe Healthy and Happy Life Series by Jonathon Jones
Sanest Health and Diet Books
8th out of 13 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Ann-marie
Nov 04, 2011 Ann-marie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with Insulin issues
Recommended to Ann-marie by: My doctor
Buy this book.

About a month ago, I was diagnosed with PCOS. I had never heard of it before it came out of my Doctors mouth. After a 1/2hr talk with the doc and a days worth of googling, I discovered I have a genetic disorder that makes my body produces homones in a wonky way. All hormones, including insulin.

Much googling later, I came across this book. I've read it and it seems to make sense to me. He's not promising the moon, or for anyone to lose 20lbs in a week. He is promising a better, heal
Ruth
This book is neither long nor complicated, which is exactly how weight loss advice should be. This is all about common sense - eat your veggies, eat real food, move on a regular basis, eat little to no "white foods." Dr. Thompson does go into a little more scientific detail about how and why the above advice works but it's still simple to understand. He also explains why once you lose muscle tone reducing calories will only backfire, you MUST exercise to lose weight. If you get bogged down on th ...more
Rebecca
Highly sensible, science-based recommendations for losing weight. Roughly aligns with Gary Taubes's (Good Calories, Bad Calories; Why We Get Fat) conclusions about the importance of insulin in determining body composition, but offers more in the way of practical advice. [return][return]Takeaways: 1) starch is much more of a culprit than sugar, because we tend to eat so much at a serving; 2) whole grains are not really much better than white versions when it comes to insulin response (they do hav ...more
Claudia
Sooo, when I was growing up, the diet 'rule' was 'don't eat anything white...potatoes, noodles, pasta, bread.' Then we went through Adkins, very similar: load up on meats and fats; but stay away from starches. Then low-fat, and low-sugar.

Thompson's saying pretty much 'no white food.' I've heard of the glycemic index, but the glycemic load is somehow different...confusing, but I don't need to understand to know all my favorite foods are not good for me. I LOVE bread. I love potatoes. Pasta too. A
Emily
I'm really glad I borrowed this from the library. It's more of a pamphlet than a proper book. The main portion of the book is only a 110 pages, with the rest being occupied by recipes and a few glycemic load charts, which pale in comparison to what is available on the internet. Moreover, Thompson repeats himself several times in those few short pages.

That's not to say that it is entirely worthless or that I didn't learn anything, but this isn't a book I can see myself referring back to, and it
Gerald Kinro
Insulin, the enzyme needed to digest glucose is the devil. Sharp rises in it cause problems such as obesity (It is lipogenic), Type II diabetes, and the rest. Dr. Thompson discusses the basis of a diet that limits the amount of high-glycemic foods, those like sugar and other simple carbohydrates. It is the glycemic index—how foods compare with pure sugar, glucose, in raising one’s insulin level. He uses this as a basis of food selection and serving size.

I may add that I am not overweight. Type
A friend recommended this book. Good, balanced perspective on a low carb diet, but outdated info on fat. Also, a helpful explanation about the need for exercise- specifically walking and minimal weights. Why We Get Fat is a better, more up-to-date read.
Susan Gast
I absolutely LOVED this book. It reminded me of when my mum told me that when we were "told not to eat eggs" (this was when we were back in the UK), that she read that the UK suffered so much from macular degeneration (due to lack of egg consumption during a 20-year study).

It's the STARCH that we're eating that is making us FAT - the body can't get to USE the fat we have stored as FUEL because it has to use the carbs first - and hey, if you're eating tons of cookies, cakes, and bread - well - th
Jon Sagara
Amazing what a little knowledge can do.

Since February 21, 2014 (today is March 29, 2014), I have dropped 18 pounds by doing these two things:

1) Cutting refined carbs out of my diet.
2) Walking for 20-30 minutes at least every other day.

If you're used to eating potatoes, rice, bread, and sugary treats, it's going to take a lot to convince yourself to give up those things. However, the author is pretty persuasive in enumerating the health risks of having too much sugar in your blood.
Tamahome
I'm all about what this guy is saying. It's starch (all breads, all cereals, and potatoes) that's making America fat. He advises 1/4 starch portions, but don't undereat. He uses a weird scale for glycemic load though where below 100 is good, but if you look on nutritiondata.com or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic..., below 10 is good. Plus he advises at least 20 minute walks every other day, which I do anyway, to help my sleep.

My only problem is I sometimes cut starches too low and get reac
Andrea
Easy to read and follow. Good info.
Mom
This was the first book I read - then I read his Sugar Blockers book. Both helped me change the course of my weight management and brought great freedom. Love it.
Jamie Harris
Very interesting. I'm a nut for diet/health books and this one was interesting. pretty similar to South Beach, Atkins but allows for fruits, beans and other carbs and mainly focuses on what foods spike your insulin, thus causing you to store more fat. Cookbook is pretty good too.
Sara Branmore
Ab fab - makes total sense. Cut the starchy carbs so the body can get to the (fat) fuel! And get those 'slow-twitch' muscles BACK in action! Treadmill is on its way as I type this. I do too much sittin' at this PC...
This book is fantastic. Many principles I'm applying now... you learn just how bad starches can be. (only 1/4 serving per meal!) and how a leisurely walk improves your blood sugar faster than a hard work-out.
Rebecca Coday
This book saved me from diabetes! I had an A1C of 6.0 and lowered it to 5.0 in four months, my Dr. was ecstatic, the glycemic diet really does work for lowering your blood glucose. I now have the cookbook :)
Matt
Focuses on the glycaemic index (GI) of foods as a way to managing and reducing weight. Haven't read the papers it refers to yet, so the jury is still out.
Lydia
Seems much more doable than Atkins, but I'm not agreeing with his chapter on statin drugs.
Jon
Jan 12, 2011 Jon marked it as to-read
recommended by a friend. and seems to make sense from her capsule summary. :)
Andrea
Finally, a plan that makes sense and that I think will work for me!
Rachel
liked it. provided alot of info. recommend reading
Tammi
Mar 08, 2011 Tammi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Great book for anyone with PCOS
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 19, 2014
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Gloria Mercado
Gloria Mercado marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Nennys
Nennys added it
Oct 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • 1,001 Low-Carb Recipes: Hundreds of Delicious Recipes from Dinner to Dessert That Let You Live Your Low-Carb Lifestyle and Never Look Back
  • Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals: Delicious, Primal-Approved Meals You Can Make in Under 30 Minutes
  • 12 Steps to Raw Foods: How to End Your Addiction to Cooked Food
  • Weight Watchers One Pot Cookbook
  • Conscious Eating
  • The New Glucose Revolution: The Authoritative Guide to the Glycemic Index -- The Dietary Solution for Lifelong Health
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?
  • 21 Pounds in 21 Days: The Martha's Vineyard Diet Detox
  • Good Calories, Bad Calories
  • Scandinavian Stitches: 21 Playful Projects with Seasonal Flair
  • Joy Bauer's Food Cures: Treat Common Health Concerns, Look Younger and Live Longer
  • Denise's Daily Dozen: The Easy, Every Day Program to Lose Up to 12 Pounds in 2 Weeks
  • Your Medical Mind: How to Decide What Is Right for You
  • The Inflammation Syndrome: The Complete Nutritional Program to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies, and Asthma
  • Show and Tell: Exploring the Fine Art of Children's Book Illustration
  • Slow Decay (Torchwood, #3)
  • Essential Pleasures: A New Anthology of Poems to Read Aloud
Manufacturing Processes for Design Professionals The Glycemic Load Diet Cookbook: 150 Recipes to Help You Lose Weight and Reverse Insulin Resistance The Glycemic Load Diabetes Solution: Six Steps to Optimal Control of Your Adult-Onset (Type 2) Diabetes The Sugar Blockers Diet: The Doctor-Designed 3-Step Plan to Lose Weight, Lower Blood Sugar, and Beat Diabetes--While Eating the Carbs You Love The Low-Starch Diabetes Solution: Six Steps to Optimal Control of Your Adult-Onset (Type 2) Diabetes with the Science of Insulin Resistance and the Glycemic Load