Start by marking “The Glycemic-Load Diet” as Want to Read:
The Glycemic-Load Diet

The Glycemic-Load Diet

A cardiologist's revolutionary weight-loss plan that allows dieters to enjoy good carbs while still losing weight

The glycemic index has been the basis of many popular diets. But it doesn't take into account the serving sizes people actually eat and eliminates too many foods for dieters to stick with it. Now Dr. Robert Thompson's breakthrough program uses the glycemic loa
Published March 23rd 2006 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published 2006)

Weight Loss Secrets - How to get a slim, energetic, good look... by Lise GottliebSlim And Healthy You by Sahara SandersThe Glycemic-Load Diet by Rob ThompsonBalanced Being by Natalie GroverAmazing Un-Processed Raw Food Diet by Susan Gast
Best Health and Diet Books
3rd out of 57 books — 18 voters
A Nerd's Approach to Fitness by Andrew PapierSlim And Healthy You by Sahara SandersWeight Loss Secrets - How to get a slim, energetic, good look... by Lise GottliebPALEO by Tanya SimonsHealthy Heart Healthy Planet by Rajiv Misquitta
Sanest Health and Diet Books
16th out of 23 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Ann-marie
Nov 04, 2011 Ann-marie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with Insulin issues
Recommended to Ann-marie by: My doctor
Buy this book.

About a month ago, I was diagnosed with PCOS. I had never heard of it before it came out of my Doctors mouth. After a 1/2hr talk with the doc and a days worth of googling, I discovered I have a genetic disorder that makes my body produces homones in a wonky way. All hormones, including insulin.

Much googling later, I came across this book. I've read it and it seems to make sense to me. He's not promising the moon, or for anyone to lose 20lbs in a week. He is promising a better, heal
Ruth
Jun 03, 2014 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is neither long nor complicated, which is exactly how weight loss advice should be. This is all about common sense - eat your veggies, eat real food, move on a regular basis, eat little to no "white foods." Dr. Thompson does go into a little more scientific detail about how and why the above advice works but it's still simple to understand. He also explains why once you lose muscle tone reducing calories will only backfire, you MUST exercise to lose weight. If you get bogged down on th ...more
Cathie
Jun 03, 2016 Cathie rated it liked it
Quick read. Almost half of it is recipes and references. Written by a doctor.

His point is that glycemic index is misleading because it should really be comparing serving sizes, i.e. the glycemic load. For example, 7 carrots equals the same glycemic load as 1/2 cup of rice even though carrots have a glycemic index almost as high as rice.

* Starch (rice, potatoes, wheat and other grains) is really a filler, it has to have things added to it to give it much taste, it hits your bloodstream from your
Thomas
Apr 27, 2016 Thomas added it
I like this book. I have seen no negative reviews that actually say more than it could have been shorter, and no more recent books that call it in question, but am open to news of either.

Rob Thompson (Glycemic Load Diabetes Solution) takes a good look at the glycemic load rankings of foods. The old GI (glycemic index) only measured the carbs in food, but not how fast they were converted to glucose in actual humans. GL measures how quickly actual humans (Canadian and Australian human subjects, f
Rebecca
Sep 15, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Highly sensible, science-based recommendations for losing weight. Roughly aligns with Gary Taubes's (Good Calories, Bad Calories; Why We Get Fat) conclusions about the importance of insulin in determining body composition, but offers more in the way of practical advice. [return][return]Takeaways: 1) starch is much more of a culprit than sugar, because we tend to eat so much at a serving; 2) whole grains are not really much better than white versions when it comes to insulin response (they do hav ...more
Claudia
Nov 25, 2012 Claudia rated it really liked it
Sooo, when I was growing up, the diet 'rule' was 'don't eat anything white...potatoes, noodles, pasta, bread.' Then we went through Adkins, very similar: load up on meats and fats; but stay away from starches. Then low-fat, and low-sugar.

Thompson's saying pretty much 'no white food.' I've heard of the glycemic index, but the glycemic load is somehow different...confusing, but I don't need to understand to know all my favorite foods are not good for me. I LOVE bread. I love potatoes. Pasta too. A
Emily
Jan 26, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: public-library
I'm really glad I borrowed this from the library. It's more of a pamphlet than a proper book. The main portion of the book is only a 110 pages, with the rest being occupied by recipes and a few glycemic load charts, which pale in comparison to what is available on the internet. Moreover, Thompson repeats himself several times in those few short pages.

That's not to say that it is entirely worthless or that I didn't learn anything, but this isn't a book I can see myself referring back to, and it
Jane E
Jun 19, 2016 Jane E rated it it was ok
I have to come to the conclusion that this philosophy is flawed.
It is evolution based(biased) and may work with those who have gluten intolerance or Celiacs, but doesn't make sense that the One who created us made such an error with the "Bread of Life."
It's been a key part of our diet since creation. However, since grain has only recently been refined for shelf life, it has changed how we eat bread.

So grind your own and use it while fresh. This should take care of the problem for most people.
Gerald Kinro
Nov 11, 2013 Gerald Kinro rated it it was ok
Insulin, the enzyme needed to digest glucose is the devil. Sharp rises in it cause problems such as obesity (It is lipogenic), Type II diabetes, and the rest. Dr. Thompson discusses the basis of a diet that limits the amount of high-glycemic foods, those like sugar and other simple carbohydrates. It is the glycemic index—how foods compare with pure sugar, glucose, in raising one’s insulin level. He uses this as a basis of food selection and serving size.

I may add that I am not overweight. Type
Russell
Oct 22, 2015 Russell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enlightening read about glycemic load

This book provides incredible insight into why this way of eating makes so much sense. However it started to become obnoxious with the amount of reference to the author's viewpoint on the earth being millions of years old and prehistoric people.

A lightbulb has definitely gone off in regards to insulin resistance!
Michelle Mehlos
Jan 03, 2016 Michelle Mehlos rated it really liked it
This book is not complicated. So far, it's my favorite on the subject. I've been using a library copy. I just ordered a copy for myself so I would be free to take notes and make highlights in it. I've already followed several suggestions and have noticed a difference in how I feel...and my labs have come back with slightly better numbers. I gave it 4 stars because several things on chapters 10-12 seem to contradict the first half of the book. I would not refer this book for that reason, unless I ...more
Megan
Aug 13, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great concepts. I finally realized I have metabolic syndrome, and losing weight is a challenge for me. This book introduced a new way to look at nutrition and dietary starch. It rings true for me. Repetative yes, and not a book you need to necessarily buy, but DEFINITELY worth reading if you care about your health.
Lisa
Mar 09, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I give the first half of the book 4 stars, it was super informative about insulin resistance, glycemic index and carbs. The last half I'd give 3 stars, the recipes weren't very interesting, but then again that isn't why I was reading the book anyway.
Jun 19, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
A friend recommended this book. Good, balanced perspective on a low carb diet, but outdated info on fat. Also, a helpful explanation about the need for exercise- specifically walking and minimal weights. Why We Get Fat is a better, more up-to-date read.
Craig
Sep 21, 2015 Craig rated it really liked it
Excellent and informative book about the effects starchy carbs have on out bodies and why it causes a myriad of health problems like incline resistance and weight gain. Only half of the book is about the diet though. The other half is all recipes. Over all I learned a great deal and found it very helpful and enlightening.
Susan Gast
Jul 07, 2013 Susan Gast rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-and-health
I absolutely LOVED this book. It reminded me of when my mum told me that when we were "told not to eat eggs" (this was when we were back in the UK), that she read that the UK suffered so much from macular degeneration (due to lack of egg consumption during a 20-year study).

It's the STARCH that we're eating that is making us FAT - the body can't get to USE the fat we have stored as FUEL because it has to use the carbs first - and hey, if you're eating tons of cookies, cakes, and bread - well - th
Jon Sagara
Mar 29, 2014 Jon Sagara rated it it was amazing
Amazing what a little knowledge can do.

Since February 21, 2014 (today is March 29, 2014), I have dropped 18 pounds by doing these two things:

1) Cutting refined carbs out of my diet.
2) Walking for 20-30 minutes at least every other day.

If you're used to eating potatoes, rice, bread, and sugary treats, it's going to take a lot to convince yourself to give up those things. However, the author is pretty persuasive in enumerating the health risks of having too much sugar in your blood.
Jill
Nov 11, 2015 Jill rated it it was amazing
most excellent resource on how carbs affect blood sugar and how all that works in the body - easy to understand - great advice
Tamahome
I'm all about what this guy is saying. It's starch (all breads, all cereals, and potatoes) that's making America fat. He advises 1/4 starch portions, but don't undereat. He uses a weird scale for glycemic load though where below 100 is good, but if you look on nutritiondata.com or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic..., below 10 is good. Plus he advises at least 20 minute walks every other day, which I do anyway, to help my sleep.

My only problem is I sometimes cut starches too low and get reac
Andrea
Nov 19, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it
Easy to read and follow. Good info.
Launi
Jan 02, 2016 Launi rated it liked it
Good info and definitely worth trying. The book itself isn't organized that well but I liked the general concept of the book.
Mom
Jan 08, 2014 Mom rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read - then I read his Sugar Blockers book. Both helped me change the course of my weight management and brought great freedom. Love it.
Jamie Harris
Apr 05, 2009 Jamie Harris rated it really liked it
Very interesting. I'm a nut for diet/health books and this one was interesting. pretty similar to South Beach, Atkins but allows for fruits, beans and other carbs and mainly focuses on what foods spike your insulin, thus causing you to store more fat. Cookbook is pretty good too.
Sara Branmore
Jul 07, 2013 Sara Branmore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: healthy-stuff
Ab fab - makes total sense. Cut the starchy carbs so the body can get to the (fat) fuel! And get those 'slow-twitch' muscles BACK in action! Treadmill is on its way as I type this. I do too much sittin' at this PC...
Mar 01, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic. Many principles I'm applying now... you learn just how bad starches can be. (only 1/4 serving per meal!) and how a leisurely walk improves your blood sugar faster than a hard work-out.
Rebecca
Jan 24, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This book saved me from diabetes! I had an A1C of 6.0 and lowered it to 5.0 in four months, my Dr. was ecstatic, the glycemic diet really does work for lowering your blood glucose. I now have the cookbook :)
Matt
Apr 15, 2010 Matt rated it it was ok
Focuses on the glycaemic index (GI) of foods as a way to managing and reducing weight. Haven't read the papers it refers to yet, so the jury is still out.
Lydia
Jul 25, 2011 Lydia rated it liked it
Seems much more doable than Atkins, but I'm not agreeing with his chapter on statin drugs.
Jon
Jan 12, 2011 Jon marked it as to-read
recommended by a friend. and seems to make sense from her capsule summary. :)
Andrea
Apr 18, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it
Finally, a plan that makes sense and that I think will work for me!
  • 1,001 Low-Carb Recipes: Hundreds of Delicious Recipes from Dinner to Dessert That Let You Live Your Low-Carb Lifestyle and Never Look Back
  • This Is Why You're Fat: Where Dreams Become Heart Attacks
  • Green for Life
  • Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals: Delicious, Primal-Approved Meals You Can Make in Under 30 Minutes
  • Weight Watchers One Pot Cookbook
  • Earthing: The Most Important Health Discovery Ever?
  • Conscious Eating
  • Scandinavian Stitches: 21 Playful Projects with Seasonal Flair
  • Denise's Daily Dozen: The Easy, Every Day Program to Lose Up to 12 Pounds in 2 Weeks
  • Now Write! Mysteries: Suspense, Crime, Thriller, and Other Mystery Fiction Exercises from Today's Best  Writers and Teachers
  • Prescription Alternatives: Hundreds of Safe, Natural, Prescription-Free Remedies to Restore and Maintain Your Health
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking
  • The Inflammation Syndrome: The Complete Nutritional Program to Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Arthritis, Diabetes, Allergies, and Asthma
  • Show and Tell: Exploring the Fine Art of Children's Book Illustration