Start by marking “Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)

Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery #4)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  401 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
MURDER STRIKES

When Rose Engleman is found dead after a thunder-storm, lightning is blamed. But soon Holly Winter starts to think it wasn't an act of God that killed the elderly woman. Was it an act of vengeance? Jealousy? Hatred? Greed? Accompanied by her malamutes Rowdy and Kimi--and her visiting sixteen-year-old cousin Leah--Holly tracks down the truth, and discovers tha
Paperback
Published by Diamond Books (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Paws Before Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paws Before Dying

Kristin
I've read a bunch of Conant's books in the last few months and this was one of the better ones. As an early book in the Holly Winter series, 'Paws Before Dying' features some characters who show up again later in the series, but the inclusion of Winter's 16 year-old cousin, who is a grown woman in later books, here is a sign Conant is taking a bit of literary license here, as Winter's 2 Alaskan Malamutes are among those recurring characters, but they don't seem to age as quickly as regular dogs ...more
Deborah Darsie
Holly Winter - she was born to a couple who were so compulsive about their breeding kennel of golden retrievers they raised Holly with a lot of the same methods as raising and socializing a puppy.

She rebelled and is doing obedience trials with Malamutes - not your most compliant dog breed!
And she seems to have this ability to become embroiled in a mystery.

A little slow paced...but it made a number of good points about abuse & neglect (human & animal...but not graphically!), training me
Ed
#4 in the Dog Lover's series. Holly Winter Is a Cambridge, MA based columnist for dog based magazines. Her avocation in obedience training her notoriously difficult malamutes.

Dog Lover's series - Holly Winter looks into the death of dog trainer Rose Englemann. Rose is originally thought to have been killed by lightning but Holly believes it could have been a training collar that disrupted her pacemaker. Holly's cousin Leah visits for the summer and becomes the primary trainer of malamute bitch K
Sandra Knapp
Nov 19, 2012 Sandra Knapp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that I've read all 4 books of this series, I can honestly say I learned quite a bit about showing dogs, training dogs, and even some interesting facts about certain breeds of dogs, especially the Alaskan Malamute, that I had not known about before. I also enjoyed 4 fairly decent murder mysteries, although that was not REALLY what these books seemed to be about. To me they were more like the medium used by the author to state her thoughts, opinions, and ideas about how dogs are bred, trained, ...more
Kathy
Mar 06, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Either the book was better, or I am getting used to her judging everyone and everything through the eyes of a dog. The addition of her cousin spending the summer probably helped the story along.
Julia
Jan 10, 2014 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and read it all in one day. Although Holly can get a little carried away in her interactions with her dogs, I still find her an interesting character. I liked the addition of Holly's cousin Leah in the story. I hope she comes back in future books.
Jen
Jan 31, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pleased when a friend informed me of Conant's dog/detective series. Growing up with a grandmother who devoured every "The Cat Who..." story, which never interested me, I have long wanted dog-themed books of same.

The author does not disappoint. The books are witty, informational, and quick-reads, without being too predictable.
Pat
Jan 04, 2014 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Holly's 16 year old cousin visits for the summer and trains Kimi. Rescue dogs. Holly meets boy from "dysfunctional" family.
Good.
Virginia
Sep 11, 2010 Virginia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007books
It was a really busy month, which means it's time for.....animal themed murder mysteries! I liked this at the time, but entering these reviews in 2010, I do not remember one iota of any of the plot. Good brainless reading.
Vicky
Mar 05, 2015 Vicky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cozy mystery based on Holly Winter… who is a magazine writer who gets involved in mysteries and has her malamutes with her…. always interesting but again light reading.
Michelle
This was a good read, but for most of the book I was trying to figure out if they really believed the murdered woman was murdered. Other than that, I really did enjoy it.
Helene
Oct 29, 2014 Helene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like this one as much as previous books. Although the introduction of Leah was amusing, unfortunately real doggy people are exactly like that.
Kim
Nov 01, 2008 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, this is my favorite. Holly Winter's niece comes to stay for the summer. They have a lot in common. I hope she returns in future books.
Daelith
Jul 03, 2010 Daelith marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
By chapter 4 I was tired of all the obedience training talk and no one had died yet. Stopped after 20 pages,
Carol
Aug 27, 2009 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book....a bit confusing at times....but enjoyed it.
Tara Choate
Huh. But good dog stuff.
Julia
Julia added it
Jun 24, 2016
Maya McMullan
Maya McMullan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Rena
Rena marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Betty Miller
Betty Miller rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Lesa
Lesa added it
Jun 15, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Andrea Harris
Andrea Harris marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Tara Fleming
Tara Fleming marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Tabitha
Tabitha rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Sandy
Sandy rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)
  • Rottweiler Rescue (Diane Brennan Mystery #1)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • Howl: A Collection of the Best Contemporary Dog Wit
  • A Dog About Town
(1)mysteries

Mother of author Jessica Park aka Jessica Conant-Park

The photo is of Jessica Conant-Park and Susan Conant, daughter and mother.
More about Susan Conant...

A Dog Lover's Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • A Bite of Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Bloodlines (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #5)
  • Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6)
  • Ruffly Speaking (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • Black Ribbon (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #8)
  • Stud Rites
  • Animal Appetite (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • The Barker Street Regulars (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #11)