Start by marking “Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)

Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery #4)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  16 reviews

When Rose Engleman is found dead after a thunder-storm, lightning is blamed. But soon Holly Winter starts to think it wasn't an act of God that killed the elderly woman. Was it an act of vengeance? Jealousy? Hatred? Greed? Accompanied by her malamutes Rowdy and Kimi--and her visiting sixteen-year-old cousin Leah--Holly tracks down the truth, and discovers tha
Published by Diamond Books (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Paws Before Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paws Before Dying

I've read a bunch of Conant's books in the last few months and this was one of the better ones. As an early book in the Holly Winter series, 'Paws Before Dying' features some characters who show up again later in the series, but the inclusion of Winter's 16 year-old cousin, who is a grown woman in later books, here is a sign Conant is taking a bit of literary license here, as Winter's 2 Alaskan Malamutes are among those recurring characters, but they don't seem to age as quickly as regular dogs ...more
Deborah Darsie
Holly Winter - she was born to a couple who were so compulsive about their breeding kennel of golden retrievers they raised Holly with a lot of the same methods as raising and socializing a puppy.

She rebelled and is doing obedience trials with Malamutes - not your most compliant dog breed!
And she seems to have this ability to become embroiled in a mystery.

A little slow paced...but it made a number of good points about abuse & neglect (human & animal...but not graphically!), training me
#4 in the Dog Lover's series. Holly Winter Is a Cambridge, MA based columnist for dog based magazines. Her avocation in obedience training her notoriously difficult malamutes.

Dog Lover's series - Holly Winter looks into the death of dog trainer Rose Englemann. Rose is originally thought to have been killed by lightning but Holly believes it could have been a training collar that disrupted her pacemaker. Holly's cousin Leah visits for the summer and becomes the primary trainer of malamute bitch K
Sandra Knapp
Now that I've read all 4 books of this series, I can honestly say I learned quite a bit about showing dogs, training dogs, and even some interesting facts about certain breeds of dogs, especially the Alaskan Malamute, that I had not known about before. I also enjoyed 4 fairly decent murder mysteries, although that was not REALLY what these books seemed to be about. To me they were more like the medium used by the author to state her thoughts, opinions, and ideas about how dogs are bred, trained, ...more
Either the book was better, or I am getting used to her judging everyone and everything through the eyes of a dog. The addition of her cousin spending the summer probably helped the story along.
I really enjoyed this book and read it all in one day. Although Holly can get a little carried away in her interactions with her dogs, I still find her an interesting character. I liked the addition of Holly's cousin Leah in the story. I hope she comes back in future books.
I was pleased when a friend informed me of Conant's dog/detective series. Growing up with a grandmother who devoured every "The Cat Who..." story, which never interested me, I have long wanted dog-themed books of same.

The author does not disappoint. The books are witty, informational, and quick-reads, without being too predictable.
Holly's 16 year old cousin visits for the summer and trains Kimi. Rescue dogs. Holly meets boy from "dysfunctional" family.
It was a really busy month, which means it's time for.....animal themed murder mysteries! I liked this at the time, but entering these reviews in 2010, I do not remember one iota of any of the plot. Good brainless reading.
A cozy mystery based on Holly Winter… who is a magazine writer who gets involved in mysteries and has her malamutes with her…. always interesting but again light reading.
This was a good read, but for most of the book I was trying to figure out if they really believed the murdered woman was murdered. Other than that, I really did enjoy it.
Didn't like this one as much as previous books. Although the introduction of Leah was amusing, unfortunately real doggy people are exactly like that.
So far, this is my favorite. Holly Winter's niece comes to stay for the summer. They have a lot in common. I hope she returns in future books.
Jul 03, 2010 Daelith marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
By chapter 4 I was tired of all the obedience training talk and no one had died yet. Stopped after 20 pages,
A good book....a bit confusing at times....but enjoyed it.
Tara Choate
Huh. But good dog stuff.
Doris Jenkins
Doris Jenkins marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Melissa Sauls
Melissa Sauls marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Shirley Karabian
Shirley Karabian marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Pamela Holloway
Pamela Holloway marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Maria marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Vicki marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Di marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)
  • Rottweiler Rescue (Diane Brennan Mystery #1)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)

Mother of author Jessica Park aka Jessica Conant-Park

The photo is of Jessica Conant-Park and Susan Conant, daughter and mother.
More about Susan Conant...

A Dog Lover's Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • A Bite of Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Bloodlines (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #5)
  • Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6)
  • Ruffly Speaking (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • Black Ribbon (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #8)
  • Stud Rites
  • Animal Appetite (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #10)
  • The Barker Street Regulars (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #11)