Start by marking “The Wicked Flea (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #14)” as Want to Read:
The Wicked Flea (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #14)

The Wicked Flea (A Dog Lover's Mystery #14)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Holly Winter's Alaskan malamutes, Rowdy and Kimi, are as sweetly rambunctious as ever, and her cookbook-in-progress - tentatively titled A Hundred and One Ways to Cook Liver - is really coming along. But everything else is a mess. A recent concussion has robbed her of much-needed sleep - and a failed relationship has left her with a bitter, broken heart. And her incredibly ...more
Published March 5th 2002 by Berkley Hardcover (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked Flea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wicked Flea

Dagny
This is Conant's fourteenth Holly Winter mystery. Holly is a writer for dog magazines and an owner and rescuer of malamutes. The mystery in this novel is particularly twisted and interesting. Holly has gotten involved with a recreational dog group through one of her adopted aunts. Ceci has requested that she come to the park to help out with an unruly golden retriever with an irresponsible owner. Ceci also has a man in mind for Holly whose long-time boyfriend has recently married someone else.
chrisa
I really didn't enjoy this book at all. I didn't find any of the characters likable and actually most of them pretty disgusting both in description and ethically. The narrator is snobby, judgmental, and only very occasionally amusing. The characterization of the psychiatric profession was pretty disturbing too. I was disappointed by this book because I was looking forward to enjoying a new (to me) well-established series. However, I will be giving away the few books I had acquired in this series ...more
Jen
Started it at noon, finished it this evening.
Becky Rippel
Susan Conant doesn't write bad books. Kimi and Rowdy are golden and a pleasure to read. The two Alaskan malamutes love the popular dog park, but Holly is nervous about so many unleashed dogs. It doesn't help when a tempermental golden retriever attacks Rowdy. Then one of the owners is found murdered in the park, Holly is on the hunt for the killer. This is mystery # 14 and the previous 13 are winners also.
Karen Fyke
Jan 24, 2008 Karen Fyke rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog lovers
Shelves: mysteries
This series is supposed to be the canine version of the "Cat Who..." books by Lilian Jackson Braun. They don't make it. There's WAAAAAY too much info about dog shows, raising, pedigrees, etc. It reminded me of textbooks.

After completing the book, I still have no idea what the title had to do with anything. One interesting sidenote is that one of the characters has the same last name as one of my historical society buddies: Goodenaugh. He turned out to be the killer, too. Now you don't have to re
Kim
As usual, this was another enjoyable read. It was hard at first, because she explains how people who show their dogs don't find pet people responsible owners. Yet, it is funny because that's how I feel about people who show their cats! As a person owned by cats, I don't find it appropriate to show them and remove them from their comfort zone. But I'd guess that people who show their cats find those of us with pet cats less than desirable as well.
Kirsten
Susan Conant's series just gets better. Though, I hesitate to classify as a cozy anymore. Too much serious stuff is happening to Holly for me to think of it in those terms anymore.

Holly is just so funny. She always is thinking in terms of dogs. Even to the point of viewing human behavior through the lens of dog behavior.

This book and the previous book seem to be the best in series. Can't wait to find a copy of The Dogfather!
Lisa
A fun little romp for the dog-obsessed. The plot is well-done and ties together nicely. Enjoyed the multiple formats Conant uses -- emails and psychiatrists notes included. Read this quickly and truly enjoyed it. . . . like a little mini-vacation :-)
☯Emily
This is the first book I read in this series and I have read quite a few since. Even though I don't like dogs, this series is both informative and funny.
Julie
These books are perfect for a rainy afternoon, preferably one with a dog at your feet.
Tara Choate
The "usual" convolted mystery elements, but lots of dog stuff.
Helen
fast-paced, fun
Grace Edwards
Grace Edwards marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
mary meacher
mary meacher marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Luvpoodlez
Luvpoodlez marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Mburrows
Mburrows marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Sabrina The Book Lover
Sabrina The Book Lover marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Olivia Burdon
Olivia Burdon marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Angelika Riffel
Angelika Riffel marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
  • Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • Rottweiler Rescue: a Dianne Brennan mystery for dog lovers
  • Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)
  • Sit, Stay, Slay (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #1)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • Catnapped (An Animal Instinct Mystery #1)
  • Putting On The Dog (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #2)
(1)mysteries

Mother of author Jessica Park aka Jessica Conant-Park

The photo is of Jessica Conant-Park and Susan Conant, daughter and mother.
More about Susan Conant...

A Dog Lover's Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • A Bite of Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Bloodlines (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #5)
  • Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6)
  • Ruffly Speaking (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • Black Ribbon (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #8)
  • Stud Rites
  • Animal Appetite (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #10)
A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1) Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2) A Bite of Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #3) Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6) Bloodlines (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #5)