Start by marking “Animal Appetite (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #10)” as Want to Read:
Animal Appetite (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #10)

Animal Appetite (A Dog Lover's Mystery #10)

When Holly Winter accepts her friend's challenge to write about something other than dogs, her presumed subject is the story of Hannah Duston, an early settler of Massachusetts who was captured by Native Americans, escaped, and
lived to tell the tale.

Soon enough, however, Holly is diverted by the much more contemporary death of one Jack Winter Andrews (no relation, as it tu
Published March 17th 1997 by Doubleday Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Appetite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Appetite

Kristin
Jan 03, 2011 Kristin rated it liked it
I felt like this was really 2 books in one, with Holly Winter, the narrator of every Conat book I've read, investigating 2 old murders. 18 years ago, Jack Winter Andrews (no relation) was murdered in his office, but the discovery of his pet golden retreiver leashed to his desk leaves doubt as to whether the murderer was indeed the man's longtime business partner or a stranger whose presence would force Andrews to keep the dog at bay. Concurrently, Winter is challenged by her neighbor to write a ...more
Jeri
Oct 05, 2010 Jeri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dog writer (Dog's Life columnist) Holly Winter is challenged to write about people for a change and decides to research the story of a frontier woman who escaped her Indian captors to return home a heroine. She finds a lot more to the story than the heroic legend, and also gets interested in another mystery, the story of a man murdered eighteen years ago with his dog as witness.

Holly and her two malamutes, Rowdy and Kimi, are always fun to visit. The mystery in this one is particularly interest
Kristen
If you love great mysteries, you'll love the next installment in the Holly Winter Dog Lovers series. In this one, Holly's researching Hannah Duston, a 40-year-woman who have been an Indian captive and scalped 10 Indian children. She learned about her family history and her captivity, while she's on a cold case of Jack Andrews, who have been murdered 18 years ago, and his dog, Chip. From there, she learned about his family and the people who associated it, even with the murder of Shaun McGrath. P ...more
J
May 03, 2009 J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Loved the combination of the main character's -- Holly Winter's -- day job (dog trainer and writer of dog column), her personal love of Alaskan malamutes and her sleuthing -- which takes place on two levels.
One level is her research into the historical figure Hannah Duston (who goes fr. being heroine to victimized member of abusive family) and her research into several murders.

Liked the descriptions of Holly's relationships with her boyfriend, her therapist-tenant.

Don't know
Donna Jo Atwood
Subtitled A Dog Lover's Mystery, our heroine Holly Winter, is a dog trainer and freelance writer about dogs. She owns two Alaskan malamutes and dates a vet.
In this book she is entangled in two old murders, one eighteen years in the past and the other four hundred years old.
If you enjoy dogs (especially large ones), genealogy, and/or mysteries with the blood and gory at a distance, this might be the book for you
Kim
Feb 04, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My new favorite by Susan! Okay, I don't remember if I've had a favorite of her's before, but THIS is it ... for now. I'm reading #11 now, so that could change!

This was a good one with some history of the area. Looked it up on the internet, and it's accurate in the book (so far as I can tell). Plus a good mystery for the dog lovers with a dog marking that fact that death was murder and not suicide. God bless our more intelligent doggie companions!
Jen
Mar 18, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pleased when a friend informed me of Conant's dog/detective series. Growing up with a grandmother who devoured every "The Cat Who..." story, which never interested me, I have long wanted dog-themed books of same.

The author does not disappoint. The books are witty, informational, and quick-reads, without being too predictable.
Sherry
Nov 23, 2009 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read particularly if you enjoy dogs mixed into your murder mystery. Good flow, excellent humor, I wish it was longer. Some twists I totally did not expect which is a real change let me tell you.
Sherry
Nov 23, 2009 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dixie
Aug 09, 2009 Dixie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feared this would be a shoddy read with a dog somehow solving the mystery. Not so. The plot was decent with some true historical information thrown in as well. I can relate to the dog/pack issues in the book, not so much the dog breeding aspects.

I would like to read more in the series.
Karen-Leigh
Jan 29, 2015 Karen-Leigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cosy-mysteries
Not terribly gripping and subject of mystery was not particularly interesting to me either.
Rats :-)
Terri
May 08, 2016 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, animal
One of the better of this series. It concentrates on 2 mysteries, one that occurred in the 1600s, the other '18 years ago', and they both have ties to now, of course. Good story, though.
Lucy
Jun 18, 2012 Lucy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an engaging dog lover's mystery with interesting characters and plot, but I too easily guessed the culprit before the ending, although there was a quirky surprise left.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing
Malamutes in Boston living with a PI. Mystery cozies at their best. There are new edition available. Dog Lover's Mystery #10
Joe O'c
Aug 28, 2009 Joe O'c rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good; continuing character: Holly Winter; author who writes about dogs solves mystery of poisonings of two people.
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2011
James Lovecraft
James Lovecraft rated it liked it
May 05, 2010
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2012
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2007
Jessica Mowry
Jessica Mowry rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2013
Bluewhippets
Bluewhippets rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2012
Becky
Becky rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2012
Mommahelen
Mommahelen rated it really liked it
May 14, 2013
Sfdreams
Sfdreams rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2007
Mareth Perry
Mareth Perry rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2011
Antoinette Starratt
Antoinette Starratt rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Colleen Burns
Colleen Burns rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • Rottweiler Rescue (Diane Brennan Mystery #1)
  • Jingle Bell Bark (Melanie Travis, #11)
  • The More the Terrier (Pet Rescue Mystery #2)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)
  • Tail of Vengeance (Chet and Bernie Mystery 0.3)
  • The Original Dog Bible: The Definitive New Source To All Things Dog
(1)mysteries

Mother of author Jessica Park aka Jessica Conant-Park

The photo is of Jessica Conant-Park and Susan Conant, daughter and mother.
More about Susan Conant...

A Dog Lover's Mystery (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • A Bite of Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Bloodlines (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #5)
  • Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6)
  • Ruffly Speaking (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #7)
  • Black Ribbon (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #8)
  • Stud Rites
  • The Barker Street Regulars (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #11)