Animal Appetite (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #10)

Animal Appetite (A Dog Lover's Mystery #10)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When Holly Winter accepts her friend's challenge to write about something other than dogs, her presumed subject is the story of Hannah Duston, an early settler of Massachusetts who was captured by Native Americans, escaped, and
lived to tell the tale.

Soon enough, however, Holly is diverted by the much more contemporary death of one Jack Winter Andrews (no relation, as it tu...more
Published March 17th 1997 by Doubleday Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Appetite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Appetite

Jeri
Dog writer (Dog's Life columnist) Holly Winter is challenged to write about people for a change and decides to research the story of a frontier woman who escaped her Indian captors to return home a heroine. She finds a lot more to the story than the heroic legend, and also gets interested in another mystery, the story of a man murdered eighteen years ago with his dog as witness.

Holly and her two malamutes, Rowdy and Kimi, are always fun to visit. The mystery in this one is particularly interest...more
Kristin
I felt like this was really 2 books in one, with Holly Winter, the narrator of every Conat book I've read, investigating 2 old murders. 18 years ago, Jack Winter Andrews (no relation) was murdered in his office, but the discovery of his pet golden retreiver leashed to his desk leaves doubt as to whether the murderer was indeed the man's longtime business partner or a stranger whose presence would force Andrews to keep the dog at bay. Concurrently, Winter is challenged by her neighbor to write a...more
Kristen
If you love great mysteries, you'll love the next installment in the Holly Winter Dog Lovers series. In this one, Holly's researching Hannah Duston, a 40-year-woman who have been an Indian captive and scalped 10 Indian children. She learned about her family history and her captivity, while she's on a cold case of Jack Andrews, who have been murdered 18 years ago, and his dog, Chip. From there, she learned about his family and the people who associated it, even with the murder of Shaun McGrath. P...more
J
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Loved the combination of the main character's -- Holly Winter's -- day job (dog trainer and writer of dog column), her personal love of Alaskan malamutes and her sleuthing -- which takes place on two levels.
One level is her research into the historical figure Hannah Duston (who goes fr. being heroine to victimized member of abusive family) and her research into several murders.

Liked the descriptions of Holly's relationships with her boyfriend, her therapist-tenant.

Don't know...more
Kim
My new favorite by Susan! Okay, I don't remember if I've had a favorite of her's before, but THIS is it ... for now. I'm reading #11 now, so that could change!

This was a good one with some history of the area. Looked it up on the internet, and it's accurate in the book (so far as I can tell). Plus a good mystery for the dog lovers with a dog marking that fact that death was murder and not suicide. God bless our more intelligent doggie companions!
Donna Jo Atwood
Subtitled A Dog Lover's Mystery, our heroine Holly Winter, is a dog trainer and freelance writer about dogs. She owns two Alaskan malamutes and dates a vet.
In this book she is entangled in two old murders, one eighteen years in the past and the other four hundred years old.
If you enjoy dogs (especially large ones), genealogy, and/or mysteries with the blood and gory at a distance, this might be the book for you
I was pleased when a friend informed me of Conant's dog/detective series. Growing up with a grandmother who devoured every "The Cat Who..." story, which never interested me, I have long wanted dog-themed books of same.

The author does not disappoint. The books are witty, informational, and quick-reads, without being too predictable.
Dixie
I feared this would be a shoddy read with a dog somehow solving the mystery. Not so. The plot was decent with some true historical information thrown in as well. I can relate to the dog/pack issues in the book, not so much the dog breeding aspects.

I would like to read more in the series.
Sherry
A great read particularly if you enjoy dogs mixed into your murder mystery. Good flow, excellent humor, I wish it was longer. Some twists I totally did not expect which is a real change let me tell you.
Sherry
Lucy
This is an engaging dog lover's mystery with interesting characters and plot, but I too easily guessed the culprit before the ending, although there was a quirky surprise left.
Joe O'c
Good; continuing character: Holly Winter; author who writes about dogs solves mystery of poisonings of two people.
Helen
okay story, inconclusive historic thread, disjoint, abrupt denoument
Minrose
Good read as it has a nice murder mystery with plenty of dog humor
Lee
A cozy dog mystery. Easy to read.
Ajcc
Aug 22, 2009 Susan Laine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have
have
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Khd
Khd added it
Aug 29, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)
  • The More the Terrier
  • A Shot in the Bark (Dog Park Mystery, #1)
  • Putting On The Dog (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #2)
  • Death in Show (Dog Walker Mysteries, #3)
(1)mysteries

Mother of author Jessica Park aka Jessica Conant-Park

The photo is of Jessica Conant-Park and Susan Conant, daughter and mother.
More about Susan Conant...
A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1) Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2) A Bite of Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #3) Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6) Bloodlines (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #5)