Start by marking “One Thousand Paper Cranes: The Story of Sadako and the Children's Peace Statue” as Want to Read:
One Thousand Paper Cranes: The Story of Sadako and the Children's Peace Statue

One Thousand Paper Cranes: The Story of Sadako and the Children's Peace Statue

The book accounts how Sadako inspired a national campaign to build the Children's Peace Statue and how it is still beautifully decorated today with thousands of paper cranes brought and sent by people around the world.
Published January 9th 2001 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about One Thousand Paper Cranes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Thousand Paper Cranes

K.D. Absolutely
Thousand origami cranes (千羽鶴 Senbadsuru) is a group of one thousand origami cranes together by strings. An ancient Japanese legend promises that anyone who folds a thousand origami cranes will be granted a wish by a crane, such as long life or recovery from illness or injury. The crane in Japan is one of the mystical or holy creatures (others include the dragon and the tortoise), and is said to live for a thousand years. In Japan, it is commonly said that folding 1000 paper origami cranes makes ...more
Mebarka Fekih
Nov 01, 2016 Mebarka Fekih rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction

On August 6, 1945,based on the Pacific island of Tinian (Hawaii) the United States dropped an atomic bomb nicknamed Little Boy on the Japanese city of Hiroshima in an attempt to end World War II.

Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes , tells the true story of a young girl named Sadako Sasaki, who died in
Susana
Sep 24, 2007 Susana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-come-home-to
a secret.

i read this as a child.
and it somehow so deeply affected me.
i completely forgot the title and spent much time (before the wide spread use of internet) searching for some book with cranes.

fortunately it was found and i do have my own copy.
psst. read this.
Phoebe Andamo
description
I'm starting to make a thousand paper cranes.

I had little expectations from this book but it really moved me. Why do innocent people suffer from violence, war and such?

In Hiroshima, an atomic bomb called little boy was dropped by the US Army. It was targeted simply because it was where the military equipment was manufactured. This book tells the story of Sadako Sasaki and the after-effects of what happened to the atomic bombing.

People around Sadako were kind and generous. Her family was so str
Zi Yi
Jun 11, 2008 Zi Yi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caleb Anderson
Very brief and basic, but at least I know a little bit more about the girl that inspired the children's peace memorial in Hiroshima.
Simsim 空
Mar 13, 2014 Simsim 空 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
من أجمل الكتب التي قرأتها، يسرد وقائع حدثت في الحرب وتتركز قصته حول فتاة صغيرة
شخصياً، الكتب من هذا النوع يجعلني أستشعر النعمة التي أعيشها وأحاسيس البشر أيضاً، وحتى آيات من القرآن طرأت كثيراً في بالي بينما كنت أقرأه
جميل جداً وقصير، أنصح بقراءته
Ahmed Hichem
Nov 01, 2016 Ahmed Hichem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I get a lot of information about Hiroshima atomic bomb , how the protagonist suffers and how the Japanese suffer and overcome this tragedy. To see how the people of this nation worked together and try to make a better place , and to spread peace. I like the touch of cranes , I like the quote "In Japan, children are often told that when people die , they go to heaven and become stars in the sky".
Mary Kelly
This focused more on the Hiroshima bombing than on the legend of the 1000 cranes or the memorial at peace park. It kind of lost its thread about halfway through and stuffed the end with facts as if the author had planned a much longer and more in depth book but quickly shoved his work into a shorter version instead.
Michael Havens
Aug 08, 2008 Michael Havens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in HIroshima/the Atomic bomb/Peace
Reverend Takayuki Ishii, a United Methodist minister, has written an excellent book on the life and tragic death of Hiroshima atomic bomb survivor Sadako Sasaki, who is known the world over as the inspiration, not only of the Children's Peace Memorial Stature located at Hiroshima Peace Park, but indirectly introducing the world to the Japanese art of origami and the custom of making paper cranes for someone who is sick. A thousand cranes symbolizes health and vitality, "...if one crane represent ...more
Tsedai
Feb 27, 2014 Tsedai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
One Thousand Paper Cranes is the non-fiction story of Sadako Sasaki, a Japanese girl who was two years old at the time of the atomic bombing in Hiroshima, Japan during World War II. This book tells the story of how Sadako grew to be a young girl, but eventually developed lymphoma from the radiation and died. During her sickness, she believed that if she folded a thousand origami paper cranes, she would be able to make a wish and survive her illness. Although she managed to complete her goal, she ...more
Leah
Nov 29, 2015 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first introduction to Sadako Sasaki was reading Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes in middle school. At first I didn't realize it was historical fiction; I thought it was a biography. So I often wondered about the "true story" that inspired Coerr's book.

Thankfully, earlier this year, I discovered Takayuki Ishii's One Thousand Paper Cranes: The Story of Sadako and the Children's Peace Statue. Written in a simple, just-the-facts narrative, Ishii's book presented a brief history of the day Hir
Susan
May 24, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this kindle book having just returned from Japan where we visited the monument that was erected in memory of Sadako and all the children who died as a result of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

It was a very emotional visit to the Peace park and the museum and I was particularly drawn to this memorial which has obviously inspired people all around the world as there were so many different origami crane creations near the statue.

This is a non fiction book telling the very sad story o
Irene McHugh
I've taught the novel Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes and I let students know some of the events and facts presented in the novel are not accurate. When I saw this little non-fiction book at my library, I picked it up to evaluate it.

Overall, I enjoyed this super fast read. The author gives a bit of background on WWII before getting into the details of Sadako's life. He ends with her death and the campaign to raise money for the Children's Peace Statue of Sadako in Hiroshima.

The book has man
Ape
2007 bookcrossing:

In April and May this year I was travelling in Japan and I did go to Hiroshima. I visited the museum there (which was really quite harrowing) and also walked around the peace memorial park where there are lots of memorials and also the A Dome. There were these tall shelf-things around the children's memorial with transparent plastic walls, and thousands and thousands of paper crane chains hanging inside of them.

It was interesting to get to read a bit more about Sadako and the s
David
Oct 12, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read any number of books about WWII that cover the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. And the debate still goes on about whether it was necessary to drop one or both of them to hurry the end of the war. I have also read books about the effects on the people in those cities. But this is the first book that I have read that focused on the life of one girl and her family. From the initial effects from the blast to other medical issues that can take a long time to develop the author pai ...more
Yashada Jadhav
Aug 29, 2016 Yashada Jadhav rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thousand paper cranes is the story of a Japanese girl, Sadako Sasaki who was 2 years old when the atomic bomb was dropped over Hiroshima. This book tells the story of how Sadako grew up for 12 years but suddenly developed lymphoma because of the radiation and passed away after a brave year.

The book is only 100 pages but it leaves a lasting impression. Specially because it is written as a non fiction children's book. The simplistic child like language conveys the tragedy much more impact full
Kristen
I read this book in about 2 hours, including the hour and ten minute nap that happened midway through. :)

I really wanted to like this book, for the seriousness of the topic and the individual story of Sadako, if no other reason. But although I know it was written for younger children, it felt dumbed down. One can write a simpler story for children without making it seem as though those children are a bit dim-witted. I just couldn't stomach the writing style and it's a shame, because I think this
Carol
Dec 24, 2007 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a non-fiction book. It is a biography, of which the first two chapters are spent on historial background of the Japanese society, about Sadako. The statue of Sadako can be found in Hiroshima Peace's Park. Memorial Services are held every year at the Hiroshima Peace Park. There are various establishment at the place too.

For the book, I think it is a classic, a must read.

Compared to the novel version, the English is a lot more difficult. Students are required to make a comparison between bio
Kristy
Apr 04, 2013 Kristy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book so much. I am currently doing the show: A Thousand Cranes and it is all about Sadako and peace. It has helped so much to read it because after we do the show many children have questions about Sadako and the bomb. At the Theatre, we are trying to collect at least 1,000 paper cranes to send to the Peace Park. Sadako and her classmates story is such a beautiful reminder to everyone that everyone can contribute to peace and we must.
Heather Buelow
I'd heard contradictory tales about the origin of folding a thousand paper cranes: 1) that it is an ancient tradition, and 2) that it is a modern tradition started by a girl dying of cancer. Turns out both are true. While the work itself is written poorly and certainly for a younger reading level, it was nice to get some facts behind the legends I'd heard. Recommended reading for a light afternoon of fact-checking.
Amy
Mar 19, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm...I was excited to read this-my class has fallen in love with Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. I am planning to show them the real photographs and read some parts to them. But I was disappointed because some of the "true" things mentioned here were changed or left out in the children's book. A BIG one, in fact-one that my kids obsessed over. I hate to tell them....
Katherine
Apr 14, 2014 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
The writing of the book was fine. It was simple to understand and pull text from for assignments. It was straight to the point and was probably made like that because the book is nonfiction. I don;t think the purpose of the book is to be the best story ever. It's probably to inform or educate others about the effect of the atomic bomb and persuade people to show that they want peace.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
after hiroshima a little girl is dieing from the exposure to the atom bomb, she makes a wish to get better, she believes that if she takes 1000 doeses she would be better, she does not make it but her symbol of health a paper crane becomes a symbol for the world of trying to save yourself.
the sad story of a atomic bomb victum and her struggle to get well. very inspiring
Lady Avalon Of Oceania
This story is very sad but good. It makes me want to do something to make peace for the world. This story shows how evil the United States of America was to Japan. It is about Sadako, how she died and is very sad.
Thunderfury
P_campbe
Sep 23, 2011 P_campbe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book and while also saddening me, it gave me hope for peace in not only small communities but a global peace. I desire for a trip to sit my paper crane at the Hiroshima statue for Children's Peace.
Lis
Aug 20, 2012 Lis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012, japan
A book written for children but not oversimplified or shy of sharing the details of the dropping of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The results of the first bomb on one family and on one child in particular.
Renae
Feb 07, 2014 Renae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very sad, but also touching, historic, and thought-provoking. The hope that permeates through Sadako and this book are what make it so powerful.
J.R. Wagner
Oct 10, 2012 J.R. Wagner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this years ago and recall enjoying it. I do not recall the part about the Children's Peace Statue in the version I read.
  • The Kids' Book of Questions
  • Let It Shine: Stories of Black Women Freedom Fighters
  • Annie and Helen
  • Lisa's War (Lisa's War, #1)
  • Two Bobbies: A True Story of Hurricane Katrina, Friendship, and Survival
  • A Pair of Red Clogs
  • Sonic Boom: Globalization at Mach Speed
  • Fly Away Home
  • We Were There, Too!: Young People in U.S. History
  • Buddha
  • We'll Paint the Octopus Red
  • Heaven's Bride: The Unprintable Life of Ida C. Craddock, American Mystic, Scholar, Sexologist, Martyr, and Madwoman
  • Freedom Summer: The 1964 Struggle for Civil Rights in Mississippi
  • Twelve Rounds to Glory: The Story of Muhammad Ali
  • Stumptown Kid
  • Brand New School, Brave New Ruby
  • Steal Away
  • Roommates (The Girls of Canby Hall, #1)

“Every war invariably results in terrible tragedies, immense waste and sinful destruction. All wars, no matter how big or small, how nearby or far away, diminish OUR humanity to a barbaric level.” 1 likes