Start by marking “Iced” as Want to Read:
Iced

Iced

Meg Gardner has one of the choice job in Missoula, Montana, open to ex-cons. She's a repo lady, snagging cars back from deadbeat owners. Although dogged by bad memories and a glass half-empty attitude, Meg believe she can get her life together. A new boyfriend and a cozy cottage are helping her to do it--until she picks up a Jeep Cherokee belonging to a murdered man...

On t
Published December 9th 2001 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 11th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Iced, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iced

James Thane
Sep 08, 2016 James Thane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Meg Gardner is in her middle thirties and recently released from prison in New Mexico where she served time for stabbing her boyfriend. Now free, she returns home to Missoula, Montana, and takes a job as a repo woman for GMAC. During a bitterly cold Christmas season, she's told to repossess the Jeep belonging to a pilot named Clayton Bennett. She arrives at the fleabag motel where Bennett is in residence only to discover that he had just been knifed to death. The cops are swarming all over the p ...more
Debbi Mack
Jul 17, 2009 Debbi Mack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As readers of my reviews may know, I'm working my way through Jenny Siler's backlist (the books she wrote before she started writing spy novels under the name Alex Carr). I recently read ICED and found it to be everything I've come to expect from a Jenny Siler novel, a highly-readable combination of hardboiled mystery, a likable (if flawed) protagonist and (in this case) finely detailed description that will make you feel like you're right in Missoula, Montana in winter.

The protagonist, Meg Gard
Maddy
Sep 27, 2014 Maddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2002-reads
RATING: 4.25

Have you ever been going about your daily business and had something happen that at the time seems inconsequential but subsequently turns out to be of great import, even life changing? That's what happens to Meg Gardner. Originally from Missoula, Montana, Meg screwed up and ended up in jail in New Mexico for petty criminal activities. On returning home, she's lucky to get a job where her background doesn't matter. She repossesses cars. And in the course of repossessing a Jeep owned b
Lib Chelle
Mar 18, 2016 Lib Chelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an audio book. Good story but what made it better was the reader as she had a Kathy Bates style and it kept me listening.
Desertgirl_2
Jul 11, 2010 Desertgirl_2 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favourite of the Siler novels. Scary, thought provoking, strong female character in the lead.
Bob
Aug 08, 2013 Bob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nearly didn't read "Iced" after forcing my way through Siler's first book. This one was marginally better. 50% of the text consists of flashbacks, which are supposed to explain why Gardner is so screwed up. Again Siler takes an interesting plot and makes it so dark, you just don't care about most of her characters. Gardner is supposed to be so tough, but makes no effort to defend herself at all. Constantly getting pounded on, but never learns. I enjoy strong female protagonists, but Siler's wome ...more
Any Length
This was not one of my favourite books. I can't fault the plot and the characters are true to themselves. But the book left me somewhat cold.
I didn't like the excessive smoking of the characters who hardly ever ate, but drank way too much and drove vehicles after ward. Not a good model for heros. The main character was the anti-romantic woman, who was smart enough to solve a murder, but not smart enough to improve her life and work through her stuff.
It didn't help that I listened to an audio v
Kirsty Darbyshire

this book from the beach is set in manitoba at a constant temperature of about 20 below; i presume that's fahrenheit but whatever units it's in i'd class it as pretty damned cold. i loved siler's first book easy money and i don't think this one was quite as good as that first effort. the story isn't as multi faceted and the narrator is more reliable and the overall experience wasn't as engaging or as mind twisting. it was still an interesting book but i found it a bit of a disappointment.

Publishsavvy
Interesting book. I read the ARC (not sure where I got it!) so there were a few typos throughout. I was a little disturbed by the break in the relationship of the major characters, and that the main character wasn't able to resolve anything with her parents either. But I suppose that is more like real life, right? Overall the snarky tone of the narrator/main character had me laughing out loud in places.
Judi
Sep 15, 2012 Judi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2000
Twenty-nine year old Megan Gardner is a loner and an ex-con. She spent 18-months in a New Mexico prison and when released she buys a bus ticket to Missoula, Montana. She chose her hometown partially because she felt she had nowhere else left to go and partially driven by a nostalgic remorse for her family....

My review:
Margaret
I was shivering every time I picked up this book - the author describes winter in Missoula, Montana in every chapter. I've decided I never want to live there! (at least in the winter). Not a bad book - liked the character of Meg - she was a little rough around the edges but her repo job kind of made that a necessity. A different sort of book than my normal cozy mysteries.
Letha
May 29, 2009 Letha is currently reading it
Jenny Siler is an unexpected find! Montana setting, tough female protagonist, fluid and poetic writing. I'm really getting into this story of an ex-con turned repo worker who stumbles into a series of violent murders.
Jimmy Mueller
Nov 07, 2013 Jimmy Mueller rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just not much to it. If it wasn't for the plot's proximity to where I live, I would stop reading after 20 pages. Instead, I stopped reading after 70 pages. Just a boring author without talent. Don't waste your time.
Don
Jan 17, 2016 Don rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-2013_goal-33
Not sure why I gave it two stars. It was not a page turner, even though It was an audio book. Unfortunately I have decided that I do not like Betty Bobbitt's style of reading, which is disappointing as I enjoy her work all those year ago on television.
Daelith
Apr 10, 2009 Daelith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-read
I would have given this book a higher rating except for all the unnecessary descriptions. Waste of words in my opinion.
Grace
May 21, 2012 Grace rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I guess the book was OK, tho the story didn't seem to have much continuity, and not really much of a point, either. Not a book I really liked much, tho it wasn't so bad I had to put it down.
Penny
Oct 06, 2014 Penny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It had quite lyrical descriptions of Montana, and a strong female lead ... but it was hard to care about her.
Anne
Nov 05, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fast-paced and quick read. Great for a car ride or lazy afternoon reading. Great story that leaves you wanting a little more at the end.
Eric
Eric rated it it was ok
May 06, 2012
Valerie Curtis
Valerie Curtis rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2011
Kaipolani
Kaipolani rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2009
Gibberish
Gibberish rated it really liked it
May 10, 2011
Mickey
Mickey rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2011
Emmy Jackson
Emmy Jackson rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2012
Ros Elkin
Ros Elkin rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2008
Bruce
Bruce rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Nina
Nina rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Nacole
Nacole rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2008