Start by marking “Scissors” as Want to Read:
Scissors

Scissors

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Stuart will never forget the horrible thing Dr. Ferguson did to him when he was a boy. The pain, the blood and the snip-snip of those glinting scissors will live in his nightmares for the rest of his life. But now Dr. Ferguson is back and not just in Stuart's dreams. He's very real. He's determined to perform that same horrible procedure on Stuart's young son. And his scis ...more
Published May 28th 2004 by Cemetery Dance Pubns

To ask other readers questions about Scissors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scissors

Tressa
Not one of Ray Garton's best, but still an enjoyable coupla-days read. I agree with another reviewer's comment about this not being a scary read, but there were some thrilling moments.

Garton is good at making his characters believable and not just some generic figures to fill up a page so the plot can revolve around them. I enjoyed the main character's Bible-thumping mother, as well as the touching relationship between father and son.

I also liked the way the plot took a different turn that I did
William M.
I started this book with an open mind, ready for Ray Garton to impress me. However, like most of the other books I've read by him - "The Loveliest Dead" and "Night Life" - I was fairly underwhelmed. Garton's "Live Girls" is the only one above average that has kept me coming back.

Besides not liking any of the characters in "Scissors", I felt a lot of the dialogue was unnecessary and repetitive, not adding to the characters or the story. Many passages seemed almost like filler, as if the word cou
Mike Kazmierczak
Despite some difficulty identifying with some characters and some shifts in the story, I did like this book and would recommend it. The story follows Stuart Mullond at a particularly troublesome point in his life. Despite it being years in the past, he's still tormented by a botched operation on his penis from when he was a little boy. In fact, he starts believing that he is being followed by Dr. Furgeson, the doctor who botched things. It is very obviously creating mental problems for him as hi ...more
Amy
Scissors is the story of a man whose distorted memory of a traumatic childhood medical procedure, continues to haunt him as an adult. The story took an unexpected turn toward the end, which made it more interesting. We know Molly, James, and Amelia weren't the only ones who saw inside Stuart's head. I wish we could have found out what sort of strange things Betty experienced while raising Stuart. Not my favorite by Ray Garton, but I enjoyed it.
Elia
Weird weird weird. And I don't normally feel that's a negative thing, but I was mostly confused and vaguely embarrassed throughout this book.

Stuart has developed a paranoid fear that a urologist he went to as a child is going to cut off his penis. He is also under the impression that this doctor did something totally inappropriate (snipped his winky with some scissors while he was conscious) in his childhood procedure to help him "pee right". He has a teenage son he's worried the doctor is goin
Scott Johnson
Occasionally, I read a book and wonder how it got published. I wonder how such a well-respected author could put out something so...bad. I suppose it comes from the idea that horror is subjective, what's scary to one person won't be scary to another. But in the case of Ray Garton's Scissors, the premise is so odd that the reader has a hard time staying in the story.

Scissors is the story of Stuart, an artist who works for a greeting card company. Many years ago, as a boy, his urologist performed
Robert Burnett
Folks,

I don't know, having the tip of my penis cut off by some mad doctor, then fearing the same fate for my son, seems like a cheap way to illict thrills. Of COURSE male readers will have some kind of reaction. Just an easy and predictable one.

While a nice hardcover edition, this just doesn't live up to the eighties splatterpunk delight of LIVE GIRLS or CRUCIFAX AUTUMN (with it's celebrated and notorious abortion-by-tongue scene). Read more like an expanded short story.

I still find Mr. Garto
Heather Wildman
Ray Garton weaves a character driven tale of the past coming back to haunt in ways a person can never imagine. Though the story did drag on in some places, I related well with the characters and would recommend this story to others like myself who enjoy a good character driven plot.
Paul Hollis
Scissors is a fast easy read reminescant of Koontz.
Godd characterizations. The author keeps the pacing fairly tight and while not a particluarly scary book it does provide some thrills and is enjoyable.
Irene
Kept me guessing from the start. Through much of the book I wasn't sure whether there were supernatural elements at work or whether the main character was sinking into insanity. Very original.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
A real page turner. I couldn't put it down. I really enjoyed the premise of this book. Stuart definitely had a screw or two loose. And scissors wasn't going to be tightening them.
DJMikeG
Interesting, very strange novel. Wasn't one of Garton's better works, but I still appreciate that he is taking chances and putting together very non-conventional stories.
Scott Tyson
I don't think it's possible for Ray Garton to write a bad novel.
Scissors went in a direction I didn't see coming, and I loved every minute of it.
Another recommended read.
Tanya
The first half of the book annoyed the hell out of me and made me hate humanity, and then it got interesting. Second half made it all worth while
A.R.
A good novel that gets into the disturbed psyche of the protagonist, but reveals the chilling reality of the antagonist.
Anthony
I couldnt finish this one. Live Girls and The Loveliest Dead are far better books.
Alicia
I think this is a scarier book for a man than for a woman. It kind of made me giggle.
Gizmatic Cantor
Not my favorite by Garton but an enjoyable fun read!!!
Kevin Gallan
i really enjoyed this book
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Unsolved Mystery
Unsolved Mystery marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Deb Clark
Deb Clark marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Alexis Fountain
Alexis Fountain marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
  • The Resurrectionist
  • The Policy
  • Death Mask
20559
Ray Garton is the author of several books, including horror novels such as LIVE GIRLS (which has a movie in the works), CRUCIFAX, E4 AUTUMN, and THE FOLKS; thrillers like TRADE SECRETS and SHACKLED; and numerous short stories and novellas. He's also written a number of movie and television tie-ins for young readers. He lives with his wife, Dawn, in California.
More about Ray Garton...
Live Girls Resurrecting Ravana (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #13) Ravenous The Loveliest Dead Bestial