Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn

Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  45 reviews
In the spirit of Cinderella: An Art Deco Love Story, Lynn and David Roberts give the classic tale of Little Red Riding Hood a new, fun historical twist.

Little Red is happily taking a basket of ginger ale to his grandmother when he stops to gather apples in the woods. Who should grab his red cape, but none other than the wily wolf, who runs immediately to the grandmother's...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Harry N. Abrams (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Little Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Red

Tatiana
Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn is a post-Revolutionary War variation of the classic Little Red Riding Hood fairy tale. Little Red, a boy, strays from the path while on his way to visit his nearsighted Grandma, who was eaten and impersonated by the devious wolf. Little Red avoids being eaten, too, and saves his Grandma by feeding the wolf ginger ale. In the end, Little Red strikes a deal with the wolf: in exchange for never again eating a person, Little Red provides the wolf with a keg of ale...more
CH13_Kieran
Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn is a wonderful picture book by Lynn and David Roberts. It is a funny little twist on the traditional story of Little Red Riding Hood. In this case Red is a young boy who has a family that makes very tasty ginger ale.

This story could be used as an example of what can happen if young children do not listen to their parents, teachers, etc. Little Red is tempted and doesn’t listen to the rules his parents provided. It results in a tumultuous and dangerous goings on...more
Jen
I really liked this story. Both the illustrations and textual story were great fun. At first, I was a little taken aback by the fact that in this retelling, Lynn Roberts and David Roberts wrote/drew a male Little Red. But I very quickly adapted to this quirk in a familiar tale and I found that having Little Red be a boy didn't negatively impact the story one little bit. :)

I also really enjoyed the method of saving Grandma from being digested. Rather than having a wood cutter arrive to save them,...more
Lisa
Fantastic. I would read anything by this sister/brother duo. Kids will appreciate this new version of Red Riding Hood told complete with David Roberts irresistable (sp?) illustrations!
David
Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn by Lynn Roberts, illustrated by David Roberts is a twist on Little Red Riding Hood, with a boy called Little Red, and is set in post-colonial America.

When Little Red stops to pick apples for his grandma, the wolf steals his jacket and impersonates Little Red. Once inside, the wolf swallows grandma whole, then tries to fool and eat Little Red too. Little Red outsmarts the wolf, saves Grandma, and strikes a cunning bargain with the wolf featuring ginger ale.

This c...more
Sherry
David Roberts' sharp, colorful, and striking illustations are what makes this version of Little Red Riding Hood such a standout. They carry this tale, told well by author Lynn Roberts, back to the post-American Revolution era, complete with portraits of George and Martha Washington and a very good imitation of a well-known Sir Thomas Gainsborough oil portrait of an aristocratic boy. The forest is eerie in a colorful, yet sinister Neil Gaiman type of way. Protgaonist Thomas, aka Little Red, may b...more
Ch_jank-caporale
I really enjoyed this twist on Little Red Riding Hood. First of all, Red is male, not female. Set in early America, Red's family owns a tavern which is famous for its fizzly ginger ale. The wolf steals Red's jacket when the wayward boy stops to pick apples in the woods. The wolf then passes himself off as the boy, and swallows poor granny in one tremedous gulp. When Red arrives,finding the wolf in granny's stead, he instantly realizes the peril of his predicament. Being quick and clever, he offe...more
Erin
In this off-beat telling of Little Red Riding Hood, Red is a little boy who always wears red. To get Grandma out of the wolf, Red tricked the wolf into drinking a week's worth of ginger ale which made him burp her out. Then, it was decided that the wolf would no longer eat people if he was given a supply of ginger ale every week.

Okay for preschool storytimes.
CH13_Caitlin Murphy
Lynn and David Roberts do an excellent job of putting a new spin on the story of Little Red Riding Hood. In this particular version, Little Red is a boy with a red coat who makes a weekly visit to his grandma's house to deliver apples and ginger ale. One of the best parts of this particular version is Little Red outsmarts the wolf instead of waiting to be saved by a huntsman. The illustrations are painted beautiful with water colors and convey an eerie feeling with shadows in the forest and eyes...more
Bethany Vines
Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn is a book that is a take on the well-known tale "Little Red Riding Hood". This book tells of a boy that is going to see grandma, but stops on the way to get red apples. When he does this, he loses his red cape and the wolf steals it so that he can pretend to be the young boy to eat the grandma. Another twist on the story is that the boy carries a keg of ginger ale to give to grandma. In the end, the ginger ale ends up saving the boy and his grandma. I thought th...more
Suzi
I love this alternative tale to Little Red Riding Hood. Kids love it, especially boys, and it's great for a short story to work on in English lessons.
Desiree K
Loved the twist from the traditional story of Little Red Riding Hood!
Leslie Inglis
I adored this fun twist, the humor & the lovely illustrations.
Jess
Nov 17, 2008 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Roberts & Roberts' other books, adults who like picture books, kids with style
Thomas--little red--takes the journey through the forest to grandmother's house. There's always a wolf.

Roberts and Roberts are back with ginger ale (no wine) and a new solution to the grandma / wolf dilemma. This time we're in late eighteenth century America, we're got a boy instead of a lass, and we're having fun.

Oh David Robert! The Bulletin called his illustrations "stylish pen-and-ink and watercolor art, which creates a shadowy, detailed world that is deliciously creepy yet packed with hum...more
Sarah Brock
I thought this book was an interesting twist on the story of Little Red Riding Hood that I am familiar with. It was neat to me that the main character in the story was a boy this time. I feel like that may perhaps get young boy readers more interested in the story. I found it comical that the book started out by "in a time not too long ago and in a land much like our own" instead of the usual "in a land far, far away." Overall, I would suggest that students who know the usual Red Riding Hood sto...more
Hana Doran
The twist at the end of the book when the boy, Little Red, saves the day and makes a good deal with the wolf is hilarious. This story fooled me bc it followed pretty much the entire story plot of Little Red Riding Hood up until the wolf goes to eat the little boy for his “dessert”, after consuming grandma as his entrée and dressing in her clothes to fool Little Red. Nonetheless, the boy uses his wits and everyone comes out happy and uneaten in the end. I also really enjoyed the illustrations for...more
Marcie
My girls really like listening to this book, and they find it hilarious that the wolf belches out Granny at the end. I think the illustrations are fun to look at, kind of a Coraline-type version of the post-Revolutionary War era. My kids missed all the historical references in the illustrations, of course, but I thought they were fun (although did the Granny really need to show so much cleavage?). Sure, the story is a little gory, but it's less so than the original Little Red Riding Hood.
Carol
Year Published: 2005
Grade Level: PreK-?

This take on Little Red Riding Hood has a boy as Little Red who delivers the tastiest ginger ale to his Grandma. When he gets to Grandma's it is still the wolf waiting only this time he bargains with the wolf to drink the tasty ginger ale instead of him. This forces the wolf to burp and the grandma flies out of his mouth, but he agrees to leave Little Red alone if he can get some ginger ale because it is so tasty.
Lisa the Librarian
A fractured fairy tale version of Little Red Riding Hood. This time red is a boy with a red jacket.

Not hugely original even with the "fracture" this was nonetheless cute. I felt the style, especially the artwork, was trying (unsuccessfully) to compete with those masters of fractured tales for young readers: Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith.

The subtitle, and how it ties into the story, is my favorite part of the book.
Liza Gilbert
This book is always received with riotous exclamations when the kids find out Little Red is a boy! Oh the horror! This is another story where the kids like pointing out the difference between the story they know and the story you're showing them. Also, since this version is set in the past, you can point out the things that have changed over time. And, if you get a chance, just look at it to gawk at the art.
Alicia Jones
Little Red is a remake of the well known children's story, "Little Red Riding Hood". This story tells the same story, but the main character is a boy instead of the girl in Little Red Riding Hood. This would be a great story to use in comparison with the well known tell to help kids understand about different social issues ands standards in society today.
Margaret Cobb
This alternative fairy tale adds a funny spin to the traditional "Little Red Riding Hood" story. It follows the same structure as the original tale with the "What big eyes you have" sequence, but ends with a large burp on behalf of the wolf. This allows the grandmother to safely return to the boy and them to live happily ever after.
Emmeline Guest
A gentle twist on the classic tale - Little Red tells the tale of a boy in a red jacket, a mean wolf, a nearsighted grandma, ginger ale, and big burps.

Lovely, and slightly frightening, illustrations accompany this rewoven fairy tale - that incorporates just the fight amount of scariness and silliness.
Ryan
Hilarious art, although I wish the illustrator would've held back on the exaggerated cleavage. It's a picture book, for crying out loud.
The story had a fun twist, but I found myself wishing there were more of them. Where the story held true to the original, I found myself falling asleep.
Katharine
The art is stunning! We liked the twist that Little Red was a boy, and all the details to look for in the pictures. It inspired my 5 year old to try drawing birds and rabbits in the same way, as well as the forests with a huge yellow pillow-like leaf overhang. Just gorgeous.
A great addition to any fractured fairy tales or forest animal storytime. Ending with a giant belch always gets the kids laughing. The pictures are amazing - a little Edward Gorey-like but can be a bit muted for large storytime groups.
Julia
I love this illustrator (same one who did Iggy Peck Architect) and this reworking of the Little Red Riding Hood story is very fun: full of cross-dressing wolves and hilarious belching moments.
Nojood Alsudairi
What if little red riding-hood were a boy? He will out-smart the wolf and save his granmother and not wait for any other to save him. What bothers me about it is it's advertisment for beer.
Joelle
Clever take on the Little Red Riding Hood story. The illustrations reminded me of Tim Burton and my 4 year old thought it was a bit scary. He did think the end was pretty funny though.
Amy
little red is a take off on little red riding hood. this time it's "little red" and he's a boy. it's funny.there's a moment with a burp and fizzy soda. the illustrations are very nice.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Pretty Salma: A Little Red Riding Hood Story from Africa
  • Petite Rouge: A Cajun Red Riding Hood
  • Honestly, Red Riding Hood Was Rotten!
  • Gigantic Turnip
  • Wodney Wat's Wobot
  • Bone Soup
  • Those Darn Squirrels and the Cat Next Door
  • The Big Elephant in the Room
  • Little Red Riding Hood: A Newfangled Prairie Tale (Stories to Go!)
  • Martina the Beautiful Cockroach: A Cuban Folktale
  • That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown
  • Footprints in the Snow
  • The Princess and the Packet of Frozen Peas
  • Pish, Posh, Said Hieronymus Bosch
  • Lester's Dreadful Sweaters
  • Big Smelly Bear
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • What's the Time, Mr. Wolf?
Cinderella: An Art Deco Love Story Rapunzel: A Groovy Fairy Tale Disney/ Pixar Toy Story 2 A Simple Choice A Persevering Love