Start by marking “Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn” as Want to Read:
Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn

Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn

In the spirit of "Cinderella: An Art Deco Love Story," Lynn and David Roberts give the classic tale of Little Red Riding Hood a new, fun historical twist.
Little Red is happily taking a basket of ginger ale to his grandmother when he stops to gather apples in the woods. Who should grab his red cape, but none other than the wily wolf, who runs immediately to the grandmother
Published October 1st 2005 by Harry N. Abrams (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Little Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Red

Tatiana
Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn is a post-Revolutionary War variation of the classic Little Red Riding Hood fairy tale. Little Red, a boy, strays from the path while on his way to visit his nearsighted Grandma, who was eaten and impersonated by the devious wolf. Little Red avoids being eaten, too, and saves his Grandma by feeding the wolf ginger ale. In the end, Little Red strikes a deal with the wolf: in exchange for never again eating a person, Little Red provides the wolf with a keg of ale ...more
CH13_Kieran
Feb 05, 2013 CH13_Kieran rated it it was amazing
Shelves: traditional-lit
Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn is a wonderful picture book by Lynn and David Roberts. It is a funny little twist on the traditional story of Little Red Riding Hood. In this case Red is a young boy who has a family that makes very tasty ginger ale.

This story could be used as an example of what can happen if young children do not listen to their parents, teachers, etc. Little Red is tempted and doesn’t listen to the rules his parents provided. It results in a tumultuous and dangerous goings on
Lisa
Fantastic. I would read anything by this sister/brother duo. Kids will appreciate this new version of Red Riding Hood told complete with David Roberts irresistable (sp?) illustrations!
Jen
I really liked this story. Both the illustrations and textual story were great fun. At first, I was a little taken aback by the fact that in this retelling, Lynn Roberts and David Roberts wrote/drew a male Little Red. But I very quickly adapted to this quirk in a familiar tale and I found that having Little Red be a boy didn't negatively impact the story one little bit. :)

I also really enjoyed the method of saving Grandma from being digested. Rather than having a wood cutter arrive to save them,
David
Sep 10, 2011 David rated it liked it
Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn by Lynn Roberts, illustrated by David Roberts is a twist on Little Red Riding Hood, with a boy called Little Red, and is set in post-colonial America.

When Little Red stops to pick apples for his grandma, the wolf steals his jacket and impersonates Little Red. Once inside, the wolf swallows grandma whole, then tries to fool and eat Little Red too. Little Red outsmarts the wolf, saves Grandma, and strikes a cunning bargain with the wolf featuring ginger ale.

This c
Todd Strader
Oct 14, 2016 Todd Strader rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Recently I read 20 picture book depictions of Little Red Riding Hood in preparing to write my own version. Of the twenty, several stood out to me as outstanding for one reason or another. This was one of those.

What caught my attention about LITTLE RED: A FIZZINGLY GOOD YARD by Lynn Roberts (Illustrated by David Roberts) was, first of all, the juxtaposition of the traditional little girl for a little boy. The story is told in a light hearted vein with a jug of ginger ale replacing the more tradit
Ch_jank-caporale
I really enjoyed this twist on Little Red Riding Hood. First of all, Red is male, not female. Set in early America, Red's family owns a tavern which is famous for its fizzly ginger ale. The wolf steals Red's jacket when the wayward boy stops to pick apples in the woods. The wolf then passes himself off as the boy, and swallows poor granny in one tremedous gulp. When Red arrives,finding the wolf in granny's stead, he instantly realizes the peril of his predicament. Being quick and clever, he offe ...more
Elizabeth Smith
Jun 19, 2015 Elizabeth Smith rated it really liked it
Roberts, Lynn. Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn. Illus: David Roberts. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 2005. Print. Fairy tales, fiction, problem solving. A little boy name Thomas, who everybody calls Little Red goes every week to visit his grandmother and bring her some of his family’s famous ginger ale. One day a wolf sees him, goes to his grandma’s house, eats her, and waits for him to arrive so Little Red can be his dessert. When there though Little Red and the wolf decide to compromise by ...more
Theresa
Oct 18, 2016 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional
1. This book has not received any awards.
2. The appropriate grade level is first to third grade.
3. Thomas, Little Red, visits Grandmother with a basket of treats and ginger ale. The wolf waits for Thomas. As the wolf tries to eat Thomas, he suggests ginger ale. The wolf drinks it and burps out Grandma. Thomas promises the wolf supplies of ginger ale as long as the wolf doesn't eat anyone.
4. My jaw dropped when I read the part of the wolf eating Grandma and seeing the illustration. At that moment
Sherry
David Roberts' sharp, colorful, and striking illustations are what makes this version of Little Red Riding Hood such a standout. They carry this tale, told well by author Lynn Roberts, back to the post-American Revolution era, complete with portraits of George and Martha Washington and a very good imitation of a well-known Sir Thomas Gainsborough oil portrait of an aristocratic boy. The forest is eerie in a colorful, yet sinister Neil Gaiman type of way. Protgaonist Thomas, aka Little Red, may b ...more
Melanie Knight
Feb 11, 2017 Melanie Knight rated it liked it
I liked the Victorian style in the illustrations.
Bethany Vines
Mar 14, 2012 Bethany Vines rated it it was ok
Little Red: A Fizzingly Good Yarn is a book that is a take on the well-known tale "Little Red Riding Hood". This book tells of a boy that is going to see grandma, but stops on the way to get red apples. When he does this, he loses his red cape and the wolf steals it so that he can pretend to be the young boy to eat the grandma. Another twist on the story is that the boy carries a keg of ginger ale to give to grandma. In the end, the ginger ale ends up saving the boy and his grandma. I thought th ...more
CH13_Caitlin Murphy
Feb 05, 2013 CH13_Caitlin Murphy rated it really liked it
Shelves: traditional-lit
Lynn and David Roberts do an excellent job of putting a new spin on the story of Little Red Riding Hood. In this particular version, Little Red is a boy with a red coat who makes a weekly visit to his grandma's house to deliver apples and ginger ale. One of the best parts of this particular version is Little Red outsmarts the wolf instead of waiting to be saved by a huntsman. The illustrations are painted beautiful with water colors and convey an eerie feeling with shadows in the forest and eyes ...more
Hana Doran
The twist at the end of the book when the boy, Little Red, saves the day and makes a good deal with the wolf is hilarious. This story fooled me bc it followed pretty much the entire story plot of Little Red Riding Hood up until the wolf goes to eat the little boy for his “dessert”, after consuming grandma as his entrée and dressing in her clothes to fool Little Red. Nonetheless, the boy uses his wits and everyone comes out happy and uneaten in the end. I also really enjoyed the illustrations for ...more
Sarah Brock
I thought this book was an interesting twist on the story of Little Red Riding Hood that I am familiar with. It was neat to me that the main character in the story was a boy this time. I feel like that may perhaps get young boy readers more interested in the story. I found it comical that the book started out by "in a time not too long ago and in a land much like our own" instead of the usual "in a land far, far away." Overall, I would suggest that students who know the usual Red Riding Hood sto ...more
Jess
Nov 12, 2008 Jess rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Roberts & Roberts' other books, adults who like picture books, kids with style
Thomas--little red--takes the journey through the forest to grandmother's house. There's always a wolf.

Roberts and Roberts are back with ginger ale (no wine) and a new solution to the grandma / wolf dilemma. This time we're in late eighteenth century America, we're got a boy instead of a lass, and we're having fun.

Oh David Robert! The Bulletin called his illustrations "stylish pen-and-ink and watercolor art, which creates a shadowy, detailed world that is deliciously creepy yet packed with hum
CalamityMane
This is a good retelling if you like bodily noise humour and the gentrification of fairy tales - two things I don't not like.

I'm not a fan of Roberts' writing style, so that may have contributed to my dislike of this alternative version of "Little Red Riding Hood".

I'm even less enchanted that there is no compelling reason for this retelling, even if you're as much of a fan of ginger beer as I am (try Fentiman's - you won't be sorry!).
Lisa the Librarian
Feb 18, 2009 Lisa the Librarian rated it it was ok
A fractured fairy tale version of Little Red Riding Hood. This time red is a boy with a red jacket.

Not hugely original even with the "fracture" this was nonetheless cute. I felt the style, especially the artwork, was trying (unsuccessfully) to compete with those masters of fractured tales for young readers: Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith.

The subtitle, and how it ties into the story, is my favorite part of the book.
Liza Gilbert
Jul 28, 2009 Liza Gilbert rated it it was amazing
This book is always received with riotous exclamations when the kids find out Little Red is a boy! Oh the horror! This is another story where the kids like pointing out the difference between the story they know and the story you're showing them. Also, since this version is set in the past, you can point out the things that have changed over time. And, if you get a chance, just look at it to gawk at the art.
Melissa Mcavoy
Oct 18, 2014 Melissa Mcavoy rated it really liked it
A fractured fairy tale version of Little Red Ridinghood. I love the illustrations- detailed, graphically strong and very funny. Unfortunately the text doesn't perform at the same level. It is perfectly fine, but the changes-Red is a boy and feeds the wolf ginger ale to make him belch up Grandma, aren't enough of a meaningful twist to truly distinguish the story. However the illustrations are so fun and the gender switch allows this version to win over boy readers.
Marcie
Oct 13, 2013 Marcie rated it really liked it
My girls really like listening to this book, and they find it hilarious that the wolf belches out Granny at the end. I think the illustrations are fun to look at, kind of a Coraline-type version of the post-Revolutionary War era. My kids missed all the historical references in the illustrations, of course, but I thought they were fun (although did the Granny really need to show so much cleavage?). Sure, the story is a little gory, but it's less so than the original Little Red Riding Hood.
Carol
Oct 16, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it
Year Published: 2005
Grade Level: PreK-?

This take on Little Red Riding Hood has a boy as Little Red who delivers the tastiest ginger ale to his Grandma. When he gets to Grandma's it is still the wolf waiting only this time he bargains with the wolf to drink the tasty ginger ale instead of him. This forces the wolf to burp and the grandma flies out of his mouth, but he agrees to leave Little Red alone if he can get some ginger ale because it is so tasty.
Alicia Jones
Little Red is a remake of the well known children's story, "Little Red Riding Hood". This story tells the same story, but the main character is a boy instead of the girl in Little Red Riding Hood. This would be a great story to use in comparison with the well known tell to help kids understand about different social issues ands standards in society today.
Margaret Cobb
This alternative fairy tale adds a funny spin to the traditional "Little Red Riding Hood" story. It follows the same structure as the original tale with the "What big eyes you have" sequence, but ends with a large burp on behalf of the wolf. This allows the grandmother to safely return to the boy and them to live happily ever after.
Emmeline Guest
A gentle twist on the classic tale - Little Red tells the tale of a boy in a red jacket, a mean wolf, a nearsighted grandma, ginger ale, and big burps.

Lovely, and slightly frightening, illustrations accompany this rewoven fairy tale - that incorporates just the fight amount of scariness and silliness.
Erin
Jul 23, 2014 Erin rated it liked it
In this off-beat telling of Little Red Riding Hood, Red is a little boy who always wears red. To get Grandma out of the wolf, Red tricked the wolf into drinking a week's worth of ginger ale which made him burp her out. Then, it was decided that the wolf would no longer eat people if he was given a supply of ginger ale every week.

Okay for preschool storytimes.
The Brothers
A nice re-telling of Little Red Riding Hood, only with a boy going through the woods to Grandma's to give her ginger ale.

The illustrations are very Tim Burton-esque. Quite fun, but a little dark!
Jan 26, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
A great addition to any fractured fairy tales or forest animal storytime. Ending with a giant belch always gets the kids laughing. The pictures are amazing - a little Edward Gorey-like but can be a bit muted for large storytime groups.
Katharine
Jan 03, 2011 Katharine rated it really liked it
The art is stunning! We liked the twist that Little Red was a boy, and all the details to look for in the pictures. It inspired my 5 year old to try drawing birds and rabbits in the same way, as well as the forests with a huge yellow pillow-like leaf overhang. Just gorgeous.
Hamster
Mar 12, 2013 Hamster rated it really liked it
Hilarious art, although I wish the illustrator would've held back on the exaggerated cleavage. It's a picture book, for crying out loud.
The story had a fun twist, but I found myself wishing there were more of them. Where the story held true to the original, I found myself falling asleep.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Pretty Salma: A Little Red Riding Hood Story from Africa
  • Petite Rouge: A Cajun Red Riding Hood
  • Honestly, Red Riding Hood Was Rotten!
  • The Princess and the Packet of Frozen Peas
  • That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown
  • Prince Cinders
  • Little Red Riding Hood: A Newfangled Prairie Tale (Stories to Go!)
  • Little Roja Riding Hood