Start by marking “The Windy Hill” as Want to Read:
The Windy Hill

The Windy Hill

A family mystery is unraveled by a boy and girl visiting their uncle one summer.
Published 1921 by MacMillan Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Windy Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Windy Hill

Jane
Oct 16, 2013 Jane rated it liked it
The title ‘The Windy Hill’ caught my eye as I was looking through a list of books published in 1921, because none of the books I had lined up to fill that slot in my Century of Books were really calling me. I liked the title, I liked the cover, and a little basic research revealed the ‘The Windy Hill’ was a runner-up for the inaugural Newbery Medal, and that it was available on Project Gutenberg. And so I began to read …

Oliver and his sister, Janet, were spending the summer with their mother’s f
Elisabeth
While not quite as brilliant as the other two Meigs books I've read so far, this is a pleasant story. The character development (particularly of the antagonist, I thought) isn't quite as good as in her later books, but it has the same beautiful descriptive writing. One of the most interesting elements is the series of flashback stories, each taking place around the Windy Hill at a different period in American history, which have apparently no other connection at first, but have the link between ...more
Mckinley
Feb 12, 2014 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: newbery, ya, family
A history of a family. Story develops is a interesting fashion through supplemental stories and a bit of intrigue.
Sherry
May 14, 2014 Sherry rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Newbery Honor Book. It's probably unsuited for the internet generation, but I enjoyed the slower pace.
Amanda Carlucci
Mar 19, 2017 Amanda Carlucci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming, children's book set in the early 20th century. There were interesting historical flashbacks set within the story, a bit of mystery/a puzzle that needed piecing together, and satisfying character development - for a kid's book that is.
Katie Fitzgerald
Amy from Hope is the Word is once again hosting her wonderful Newbery Through the Decades challenge. Each month, from January to October, participants read Newbery medal and honor books from each decade in which the award has been given. January's focus is on the 1920s. This is a tough decade because some of the books are hard to find and others seem dreary and difficult to read. Still, last year, I read Downright Dencey, which wound up being excellent once I got into the language, and prior to ...more
Angie Lisle
I re-read this book as part of my goal to read all the Newbery Medal and Honor books. As a child, I remember this book being a breath of fresh air after reading Hendrik Willem van Loon's The Story of Mankind. That didn't change as an adult.

This story chronicles the dynamics of an extended family, with one character, known as The Beeman until readers figure out who he is, doling out family stories to the main character, Oliver Peyton, and his sister, Janet. The Beeman's information becomes impor
Elizabeth
Oct 22, 2008 Elizabeth rated it liked it
I recently finished reading The Windy Hill written by Cornelia Lynde Meigs in 1921. The book was selected as a Newbery Honor Book in 1922, the first year the awards were given. Two other books penned by Ms. Meigs were selected as Honor Books -- Clearing Weather in 1928 and Swift Rivers in 1933. In 1934, Ms. Meigs received the Newbery Medal for her book, Invincible Louisa, a biographical account of the life of Louisa May Alcott.

In The Windy Hill Oliver and Janet Peyton have traveled to Medford Va
Jen
Mar 15, 2016 Jen rated it liked it
Newbery Honor 1921
Good, engaging story with likable characters. The resolution of the conflict and the redemption of the villain was a bit too sudden, but not unbelievable. This is the story of Terri children who go to visit their cousin and stumble on a tense situation and a mystery. Interspersed in the story are talks told by a respected adult. These are good stories, and it all eventually ties together, but I wish they had been a little more connected textually. They were in separate chapters
Thomas Bell
Aug 13, 2011 Thomas Bell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: newbery-honors
In 1922 the first ever Newbery Award was given for the book The Story of Mankind. That book was impressive as in 'oh my, I can't believe anyone actually wrote this book.' This book, the Windy Hill, is impressive as in 'oh my, that is an excellent book.' In my opinion, The Windy Hill should have won the first Newbery Award.

The Windy Hill is full of stories which come to life in a little valley where everyone knows everyone else. It is full of mystery and excitement. The stories have adventure. An
Joy
Mar 10, 2013 Joy rated it liked it
1924 Newbery Honor Book

This book was fairly easy to obtain off Project Gutenberg because it's public domain. I finished it in a few days reading it while I waited for my daughters to fall asleep.

I wasn't sure what to expect because I had no idea what it was about but it quickly surprised me.

The main characters are Oliver and Janet, siblings that come to live with their Cousin Jasper. They notice that Jasper is not the same person they knew before. He seems upset. At the beginning of the book, O
Jo
Feb 04, 2017 Jo rated it really liked it
1922 Newbery Honor Book

This book was quite engaging, I enjoyed the characters and trying to put together the pieces of the puzzle as the author presented them.
Lisa Houlihan
Strongly moral and gung-ho for capitalism with individual restraint: unsurprising early Newbery fodder. It features the only land transaction between a native American and an immigrant one that was mutually understood, agreed upon, kept to, and, get this, financially honest, that I have ever come across in fact or fiction. Propaganda, ahoy!
Christina Potter Bieloh
May 14, 2016 Christina Potter Bieloh rated it it was amazing
This is a Newberry Honor Book from 1922. I loved Meigs' descriptions and the characters. It is a mystery of sorts and there are such engaging stories within the main story. I really enjoyed them the most!
Melody
Jan 18, 2013 Melody rated it did not like it
Shelves: newbery-authors
I'm not sure how this qualified for a Newbery, but in my quest to read all of the Newbery medal and honor books, I'm glad I was able to finish it. I downloaded this onto my kindle at no charge from Amazon.
Roni
Nov 01, 2009 Roni rated it liked it
It was good and quick read. The choice of words by author were enticing. Some of storytellings were incorporated in this book by one of main characters. There are some life lessons and motto throughout the story.
Scott Williams
2d3a9e95-6f29-4cde-adc4-8c79da9e0c15
Jade Lauron
The opening book to my project turned out to be "just okay". Reminds me a bit of the Bobbsey Twins.
Susan
May 25, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic, fiction
A 1922 Newbery Honor book - Nice story!
Damaris
Jul 15, 2012 Damaris marked it as to-read
Newberry Honor Book 1922
Jill
Jan 01, 2014 Jill rated it it was ok
Shelves: newbery-honor
Newbery Honor recipient. not the worst I've ever read, but pretty low down on the list.
Brenda
May 13, 2014 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newbery-books
My Favorite of the 1922 Honor books. Glad I am finished with that year. Wow. Fun to find out what people back then thought were good reads. :)
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Halley
Halley rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2012
Katie Brege
Katie Brege rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2017
Cherie
Cherie rated it did not like it
Dec 09, 2011
Kaylee
Kaylee rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2017
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015