Start by marking “God's Passion for His Glory: Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards” as Want to Read:
God's Passion for His Glory: Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards

God's Passion for His Glory: Living the Vision of Jonathan Edwards

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  1,354 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
This is a stunning truth: namely, that God's passion for His glory is the measure of His commitment to our joy. In his essay, " The End for Which God Created the World, " the great theologian Jonathan Edwards proclaimed that God's ultimate end is the manifestation of His glory in the highest happiness of His creatures.

Pastor John Piper has devoted the past thirty years of
Published September 28th 1998 by Crossway Books (first published September 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about God's Passion for His Glory, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Passion for His Glory

Sherry Elmer
This book is actually two books in one. The first half is written by John Piper. Piper’s section intends to introduce the modern reader to one of the greatest works by one of the greatest scholars, Jonathan Edwards’ The End For Which God Created the World. The second section is the complete text of that work. Oftentimes I have a hard time deciding between four or five stars for books I love. In this case, the five star rating was an easy choice.

Why five stars? What can an early 18th century the
Joe Rigney
Mar 06, 2009 Joe Rigney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best.

Why did God create the world? Many Christians would answer (rightly): For the sake of his own glory. But what in the world does that mean? What is "the glory of God"? How should we understand it, and what does it have to do with me?

This is Edwards at his philosophical finest, taking head on the intellectual challenges of his day with one eye on the Scriptures and the other on the culture.

Don't assume that you understand Edwards' argument the first time through. Meditate, reflect,
Luke D
Dec 13, 2014 Luke D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of Jonathan Edwards' stuff is really hard to read and exhausts your brain, but boy is it worth it!
Norman Falk
Es un libro que no puede ser leído rápidamente, al menos no la segunda parte donde se integra el texto completo de Edwards "El fin por el cual dios creó al mundo". Pero es lo que precisamente hice y no lo pude disfrutar por lo tanto como había esperado. De todas formas pude conocer un poco más la vida y pensamiento de aquel hombre, sobre cuyos hombros hoy está parado John Piper y quien, con su teología centrada en Dios y su gloria señala hacia el hombre quien se lo enseñó.

Un día volveré y lo le
Amanda Tranmer
Dec 15, 2016 Amanda Tranmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's difficult to paraphrase a work like this (Piper himself says not to do it which is why he includes the whole text of Edwards' book within his own), but I'll attempt to give my quick two cents with the caveat that you should really read it yourself. No summary will do it justice, certainly not mine.

This book is actually 2 books. The first half is John Piper's personal testimony about how Jonathan Edwards writing has influenced Piper's view of God and his own ministry emphasis, followed by a
James Castleton
Mar 08, 2017 James Castleton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an outstanding guided-tour of one of Edwards most influential works. It is a difficult book, not because the issues are not clearly outlined either by Mr. Edwards or Piper--rather the closer one approaches the mind and purposes of God, the more different from Him we realize we are.

Nevertheless, this is a supremely important book to read. One that will radically reshape your understanding regarding the end to which God created the world.

One of the greatest blessings of this book is the re
Coyle
Mar 17, 2009 Coyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edwards is generally difficult to read and not something I would recommend for beginners (other than selections from his sermons). Having said that, this little volume is a great place to start. "The End for which God Created the World" is ultimate Edwards, while more famous works like "Freedom of the Will" and "Religious Affections" are penultimate. Piper's introductory remarks and footnotes help make the text more understandable, and the way he's broken up the text and given it paragraph numbe ...more
Jeanie
As usuall John Piper's passion for the excellency of God is contagious and refreshing. He does not write to add to the word of God but to share his understanding and deep study of the scriptures that an ordinary person like me may not be able to grasp. However, he uses scripture to verify what he writes. The Glory of God, to the Glory of God, etc is used so many times that maybe just maybe we have become to familiar without realizing the deep meaning, the beauty and the goodness of Glory to God. ...more
Jonathan Tomes
Mar 17, 2014 Jonathan Tomes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
End of Creation is a brilliant work. And yet, Edwards seems to have missed a huge opportunity in developing his thesis against the background of the person and work of Christ. Jesus, in his human nature, perfectly remanates the internal, emanating glory of God, while simultaneously emanating that same glory into the theater of God's grace, according to his divine nature. If God's ultimate end in creation is the emanation of his internal glory in creation, then the outworking of his purpose in th ...more
Esther Collier
Aug 31, 2016 Esther Collier rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read this book all the way to the end, although I read a large portion of it. Very disappointing. Having heard many favorable things about both John Piper and Jonathan Edwards, I hoped that this book would be profound and insightful. Instead it was steeped in Neo-platonic philosophy and panentheistic thought.

Some quotes that demonstrate this thinking are below:

"The emanation [of his own infinite fullness] was what excited God to create the world"

"If existence is more worthy than defect
James Ritchie
Dec 02, 2013 James Ritchie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In essence this book is actually a republication of Jonathan Edwards book ‘The End For Which God Created the World’ with a hundred page extended introduction by Piper. In the introduction Piper covers a range of topics related to Edwards and how his God-centred theology and vision has impacted society.

Of particular interest to me (due to a sermon series I am preparing) was a chapter on the need for God-centred thinking and living today – especially after the enlightenment period in the 19th cen
Jake
Aug 12, 2009 Jake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This two-part book consisting of Piper's commentary on Edwards' life and theology, and the classic edition of Edwards thesis on "The End for which God Created the World" is a wonderful edition for any reader who longs to catch a glimpse of the glory of God and the satisfaction and joy we have therein. This book will open you to the comfort of realizing that the most joy-giving, people-saving, universe-fulfilling, phenomenon is God receiving glory. Because God is passionately accomplishing His o ...more
Jeff Short
Jan 31, 2011 Jeff Short rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctrine
This is really two books in one. The second part is Jonathan Edward's work, The End for Which God Created the World. The first part is John Piper's thoughts, experiences, analysis, and explanation of Edwards' work. The Edwards text is dense and should be read carefully. They have preserved the text but added some things, such as paragraph numbers, headings, definitions, and footnotes. These editorial additions serve to make the text more readable.

Edwards labors some in the first part of his trea
Hanlie Wessels
As noted, this book is two books in one.

The second book, the Jonathan Edwards one, is excellent. Heavy reading, but excellent.

The first book is John Piper waxing eloquent about how much he loves Jonathan Edwards. It was quite annoying. I felt that he needed an editor. His ranting could have been reduced by at least half. A lot of it is completely irrelevant. The parts about Jonathan Edward's life was nice.

As to his advice: for some unfathomable reason John Piper recommends you read the second pa
Stephanie
Aug 21, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual-growth
Publisher's Description:

"This is a stunning truth: namely, that God's passion for his glory is the measure of his commitment to our joy.

In his essay, "The End for Which God Created the World," the great theologian Jonathan Edwards proclaimed that God's ultimate end is the manifestation of his glory in the highest happiness of his creatures. John Piper has devoted the past thirty years of his ministry to exploring the implications of this stunning truth for life and ministry. Understanding that
Steve Alde
May 14, 2014 Steve Alde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I have read this book (The End for Which God Created the World) two times and have started to read it for the third. This book has had more influence on my life than most others (outside of the Bible and D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones). Jonathan Edwards brings out the centrality of God in all things and the purpose of God in creating all things - that God would be glorified by being seen, reverenced, rejoiced in, and loved. John Piper's explanation of the book and its influence upon his life (the first h ...more
Brian Collins
Sep 27, 2011 Brian Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The great value of this book is the complete text of Jonathan Edwards's The End for Which God Created the World. Edwards defends the logical coherence of and proves with copious examination of Scripture the thesis that the end for which God created the world was the exhibition of his glory so that he might receive back from the creatures praise and glory. This edition is nicely printed and provides helpful explanatory footnotes by Piper. The philosophical section can be difficult reading, but th ...more
Jake Jordan
Jan 29, 2015 Jake Jordan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
One of the best of Piper's writings.

This is Edwards at his philosophical finest, taking head on the intellectual challenges of the day with one eye on the Scriptures and the other on the culture.

And if you are brave and can work through the 2nd half, then you can glea
Brian
Jun 01, 2010 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Piper going through his encounter within the theology of Jonathan Edwards. This book includes the entire essay written by Edwards called "The end for which God created the world".

This book was very insightful into what Edwards thought about God and his reasoning for doing things they way he (God)did. There is a lot of philosophical stuff here that could be over the head of a new believer. I rememeber being so blown away by this book. They don't build em like Edwards any more. Sigh!
Devin
May 13, 2010 Devin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, christian
This is a great introduction into the works of Jonathan Edwards. John Piper uses the first part of the book to introduce key aspects of Edwards' thought and theology and publishes the entire text of "The End for which God Created the Word" in the latter part of the book.

I found this book to be paradigm-shattering, mind-blowing, and heart-warming. Wrapping my head around the argumentation which Edwards uses was rather difficult at first, but once I had a handle on his vocabulary and punctuation p
Bob Ladwig
Dec 13, 2010 Bob Ladwig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this essay by Edwards is probably one of the most brilliant theological works ever written, I don't say that often, in fact I think it is the only time I have said it in any book review. the Piperian "Christian hedonism" is really derived from this doctrine of the God centeredness of God. The first half of this book is Piper's intro and explanation of Edwards in modern language, the second half is Edwards unfiltered. This truly is an amazing work, and Edwards was without question the mos ...more
James
Sep 10, 2008 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Piper is a great author whose book Desiring God was great. Piper has a Edwards fetish. Or at least Edwards was a big (huge) influence on him. This book I read specifically to get at the Edwards text so I just sort of skimmed Piper's chapters in part one of the book. However Piper's headings and linear notes on the text were helpful in following the flow of Edwards thought, particularly for a neophyte like me.
Russell Hayes
Dec 24, 2011 Russell Hayes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-books
One of my favorites of Piper. This book really shows the roots of Piper's theology. The first half of Edwards's work is a dense philosophical defense of his argument and is a difficult yet rewarding read. The second half is an easier-to-digest biblical defense of his position. I really enjoyed the intro by Piper as well--he does a fairly good job of explaining and digesting the loftier writing of Edwards. Edwards's portion does get fairly repetitive by the end though.
Jamie
Apr 23, 2015 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No lightweight book. Heavy, challenging, but would make a big difference if more evangelical leaders read it and labored in the church for the glory of God rather than on popular and thin pragmatic foundations. Edwards' connection of Biblical OT & NT themes and concepts is astounding as he traces God's work in creation and redemption to His passion for his glory as the fountain of life that love to share his goodness.
Andrew
May 28, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it
Effectively two books in one, I found the biography and background of Edwards' "The End For Which God Created the World" to be excellent! It also provided summary for the text that followed. However the original work itself was lent not to the causal reader. This is heavy sledding, appealing most to the post-graduate student, philosopher, or astute theologian. A solid read, yes, but be prepared for two very different books and take notes as you go.
Dennes
Aug 09, 2007 Dennes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wooohooo! Finally after about a year in the works, I've finished!

First half of the book is basically a biography of Jonathan Edwards and prepares you for a treatise written by Edwards, called The End for Which God Created the World. It's really good but it's very hard to read, Edwards was a phenomenal and brilliant man with and you really have to concentrate and think about what he has written. It got the rusty wheels turning in my mind. Really recommend it.
Doug Dale
Dec 02, 2013 Doug Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
In this book's defense, this is probably the kind of book that should be digested slowly over a long period and I rushed through it a bit. At the same time, I don't have a strong urge to return to it. I know this is a valuable book that should probably be rated higher, but I'm just trying to be honest in my experience of it...
Briana
Edwards is thorough. He has a lot of things to say. But I actually really enjoyed how everything he said tied together. God emanates His glory into His creation, and by being made in the Image of God, we are brought into communion and reflection of this glory. Or something like that. Basically, God's glory cannot be contained, and we are included in the process. That is something to think about.
Lorna
Jan 16, 2015 Lorna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Jonathan Edwards is a genius!! Incredibly perceptive, this book answers the question essential for a purpose filled life - what is the end for which God created this world? I love seeing the way Edwards formulates his arguments, weaving in human reason and divine revelation to come to the same conclusion: God created this world to glorify His wonderful name.
Alina
Oct 08, 2008 Alina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I didn't care much for Piper's book, but the second half of this volume is "The End For Which God Created the World" by Jonathan Edwards. It's a dry book, but it changed my whole outlook on the world, and it was the starting point of a radical transformation of my theology. Anyone who is serious about thinking through their beliefs (not to mention theology students) should read this book.
  • Freedom of the Will
  • The Glory of Christ
  • Jonathan Edwards
  • Jonathan Edwards Lover of God (The Essential Edwards Collection)
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God
  • The Life and Diary of David Brainerd
  • Jonathan Edwards: A New Biography
  • A Quest for Godliness
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
  • No Place for Truth: or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology?
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God (A Theology of Lordship)
  • The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way
  • The Bruised Reed
  • The Gospel According to Jesus: What Does Jesus Mean When He Says "Follow Me"?
  • The Sovereignty of God
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe
More about John Piper...

“God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him.” 1 likes
“One part of that divine fullness which is communicated is the divine knowledge. That communicated knowledge, which must be supposed to pertain to God's last end in creating the world, is the creature's knowledge of HIM. For this is the end of all other knowledge, and even the faculty of understanding would be vain without it.” 1 likes