Start by marking “This Dame for Hire” as Want to Read:
This Dame for Hire

This Dame for Hire (Faye Quick #1)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  31 reviews
"I didn’t start out to be a private eye. I thought I was gonna be a secretary–get my boss his java in the morning, take letters, and so on. Hell, I didn’t get my degree in steno to put my life on the line. It was true I wanted an interesting job, but that I’d end up a PI myself . . . it never entered my mind."

New York, 1943. Almost anything in pants has gone to serve Uncle
Published June 28th 2005 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about This Dame for Hire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Dame for Hire

Cathy DuPont
I love our library and sometimes I just browse around looking for something that just jumps out into my hands.

This was it, jumping into my hands earlier this week and I'm glad it did because it was a fun read.

With the guys away mostly in Europe but all over the world during WWII, Faye Quick who worked for A Detective Agency now held down the fort at home for Woody Mason, the agency's owner. Woody trained Faye everything including how to "stake out," how to shoot a gun and before he left, she h
Tara Chevrestt
May 12, 2010 Tara Chevrestt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Susan, Nancy, Tracy
This was a fun read. I want to immediately point out some things I really liked about it. 1. The heroine smokes, but her smoking habits do not take up an entire quarter of the book. Well done! 2. As usual with a mystery tale, there are LOTS of characters and suspects, but I never got confused. I always knew who was who. 3. There is only one case. One simple case involving numerous interesting people and no stereo typed gangsters.

Faye Quick is running A Detective Agency while her boss is in Europ
Teresa
As tough guy private eyes go, Faye Quick does an ok job. She is holding down the business while the real owner is defending the country overseas during the WWII. I liked the novelty of having a woman be the PI and some of the period details, but cannot say this book bowled me over. The mystery was solid but seemed to go on for just a bit too long. The jargon speak (e.g. Waddya lookin at?) gets a bit tiring after a while. I think I might, in future, try getting one of this series as a book-on-tap ...more
Lansing Public Library

Secretary, Faye Quick, takes over the job of Private Detective from her boss who has joined the Army during WWII and then literally trips over the body that becomes her first case.

The reading group rated this book 5.

Everyone enjoyed this book. It was a fast summer read. The author was very descriptive about New York City during the 1940’s; they liked that!No one guessed who the murderer was. This is always a sign of a good mystery book.
Adan Ramie
In 1943 New York, almost all the young, able-bodied men have gone overseas to fight the good fight. This leaves jobs open for women, showcasing their ability to survive, thrive, and blossom under pressure. Faye Quick, a 26-year-old steno-turned-detective, gets her first murder case, and it's a doozy. The skirt whose murder she was hired to solve has woven a tangled web of boyfriends, secrets, and lies.

This Dame for Hire is a great read that leaves you turning pages to find out whodunit and what
Jan C
Faye Quick takes over her boss' private detective agency when he goes off to fight in WWII. So it is kind of a throw back to the 'forties and the "noir" genre of detective stories.

The Chicago Sun-Times called her "a real hoot" and she is.

Everybody is always "askin if she has a fella yet". And it looks like towards the end of the book maybe she does.

She's coming back from the movies or something one night and trips over a dead body. A couple of months later, the body's parents come to her to se
Ed
#1 in the Faye Quick series.

Faye Quick, secretary to PI Woody Mason, takes over his Greenwich Village based detective agency when he is drafted in 1943. She literally stumbles over the body of a young woman during a snowstorm and then is hired to find the murderer when the cops have made no progress after 3 months. Good period atmosphere but rather obvious solution.
Shirleynature
Scoppettone is one of my favorite authors! Step back in time to New York City in 1943. Meet reluctant detective Faye Quick. Compare Dorothy Gilman’s Mrs. Pollifax with a similar conversational style and a discovery of latent talent for detection.
Ruth
2.5...maybe a 3.
Kjcacka
I just couldn't get passed all of the 'lingo' used. It seemed like every single sentence was dripping with slang. I was unable to finish since I just could not get passed that.
Sharon
I liked the sense of time and place created in both this book and in the second of the series "Too Darn Hot." I also like the protagonist, Faye Quick, a female PI working on her own in the 1940s. In this book, I didn't find the killer's identity entirely surprising, but the motive and the discussion of some issues that I would have assumed were not talked about in the 1940s in the US added some spice.
Katina French
Enjoyable hard-boiled 40s detective noir story, with a twist. Faye Quick runs Manhattan's "A Detective Agency" in her boss Woody's absence, while he's away fighting in WWII (as most able-bodied men are at the time). Fun period piece with a likable lead. I figured out who the killer was pretty early, but still enjoyed the writing enough to stick with the book till the end.
Dennis Fischman
A mock-noir set in 1943 Manhattan. I've always enjoyed Sandra Scoppetone's writing--I read all her Lauren Laurano books with the terrible puns for titles--and this lived up to my expectations. The only thing I would say is that the period jargon went over the top at times, but the characters and the mystery were thoroughly enjoyable.
Angela
Oct 07, 2008 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Angela by: goodreads site
Shelves: cozy-myst-hist
I liked this mystery because of the language and time period in which it was set. The characters were the usual suspects but since I listened to it on audiobook, the voices were great to hear. I look forward to reading or listening to the next one in the series.
Kiesha
This story was set in the 40's during world war II where a secretary finds herself filling in the shoes of her private eye boss who is serving for Uncle Sam. The dialogue is fun and the storyline moves right along so there's no boring moments. Enjoyed the book.
Greg
Excellent novel. It's a mixture of the familiar hard broiled crime novel and the realities of the war period. I do like the combination that the author manages to achieve in her own POV of the landscape as well as the other stories that came before.
Really fun, complex murder mystery - even if I saw it coming a solid hundred pages before our heroine. A little heavy-handed on the period slang sometimes (where "ya" means "you" unless you're upper class), but still a really good read.
Robin
A cute quick read. A murder mystery set in the early 40's. The main character is a female private detective, who is sassy and smart. The author did well researching the lingo and setting of NYC in that era.
Charlotte Clark
Kinda fun mystery - think the most fun aspect was all the jargon of the 1940's. If you are not 70 years of age (give or take), I don't think the book would have the same appeal.
Heather
Oh, this one was good. It was straight noir, so black and white I expected cigarette smoke to start wafting from the open pages as I read. I LOVED this book. Very, very highly recommended.
Jessica
This book is a fun mystery set in NY during WWII, but way too heavy on the slang. It grew on my as I read, but if the word "gams" showed up one more time I was going to go nuts!
Jane Rutherford
Had a hard time with the strong NYC accent and 1940-era language at first, but once I got used to them, I liked the story and the narration.
Nancy
A woman who hires out as a private investigator after WWII, funny, light, fun. The next book in the series, Too Darn Hot, equally as good.
Iliana
A secretary who ends up as a P.I. when her boss is sent off to war. She has moxie and smarts.
Aurelia
The author really gives the main character, Faye a hilarious voice, and Faye doesn't even know it.
Lynn D'onofrio
I liked it. Like reading books that take place at that time. I was surprised who did it tho.
Sylvia
Really enjoyed this 40s female detective novel. Looking forward to reading the next one.
Kresten
A fun read. 3 1/2 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • One for Sorrow (John the Eunuch, #1)
  • The War Against Miss Winter (Rosie Winter, #1)
  • The Innocent Spy (DI Ted Stratton, #1)
  • The Season of the Beast (Agnès De Souarcy Chronicles, #1)
  • Iron Ties (Silver Rush, #2)
  • Death of a Musketeer (A Musketeers Mystery, #1)
  • The Sultan's Seal (Kamil Pasha, #1)
  • A Mystery of Errors (Shakespeare & Smythe, #1)
  • Blanche Passes Go
  • Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Issac Of Girona, #1)
  • The Chatelet Apprentice (Nicolas Le Floch, #1)
  • Year of the Hyenas: A Novel of Murder in Ancient Egypt (Semerket, #1)
  • Desert Noir (A Lena Jones Mystery #1)
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
  • Roman Games: A Plinius Secundus Mystery
  • Jass (Storyville, #2)
  • Death of a Dying Man (Micky Knight, #5)
Also wrote as Jack Early.

Sandra Scoppettone first emerged as one of the best hard-boiled mystery writers using the name Jack Early for her first three novels that included A Creative Kind of Killer (1984) that won the Shamus Award from the Private Eye Writers of America for best first novel. She had started writing seriously since the age of 18 when she moved to New York from South Orange, New Jer
More about Sandra Scoppettone...

Faye Quick (2 books)
  • Too Darn Hot
Everything You Have Is Mine (Lauren Laurano, #1) I'll Be Leaving You Always (Lauren Laurano, #2) The Late Great Me Let's Face the Music and Die (Lauren Laurano, #4) My Sweet Untraceable You (Lauren Laurano, #3)