Start by marking “The Pirate Prince (Ascension Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
The Pirate Prince (Ascension Trilogy #1)

The Pirate Prince (Ascension Trilogy #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  2,136 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
When Allegra Monteverdi, the daughter of Lazar's sworn enemy, throws herself on his mercy, the pirate prince Lazar di Fiori agrees to spare the lives of her family but only if she sails away with him.

Alone at sea with this dark, intriguing man, moving between seduction and fear, Allegra realizes it will take more than her growing love for this pirate prince to bring peace
Published July 29th 1998 by Ivy Books

To ask other readers questions about The Pirate Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirate Prince

Gentle Rogue by Johanna LindseyRescued by the Buccaneer by Normandie AllemanCaptive of My Desires by Johanna LindseyThe Gift by Julie GarwoodBound by the Buccaneer by Normandie Alleman
Historical Pirate Romance Books
14th out of 181 books — 401 voters
The Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer AshleyDreaming of You by Lisa KleypasLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseFlowers from the Storm by Laura KinsaleJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
Tortured Heroes of Historical Romance
72nd out of 319 books — 350 voters

More lists with this book...

Crista
May 19, 2010 Crista rated it it was amazing
After reading the Foley series "the Knight Miscellany", I have to say I had mixed reviews. Some of Foley's work is brilliant, and some of it just aggravates and disappoints. The problem is, you never know what you'll get until you read the book. I really contemplated not reading this series, because it was her first, and you'd think that an author's first is not her best. How wrong I was. Pirate Prince put all of her Knight Books, including my favorite "The Duke" to shame.

This is really more th
Paula
Jun 28, 2014 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was gifted this book from my book friend, Cristal when I decided I wanted to read a historical romance. I really enjoyed this story. Parts if this book had me crying like a baby. I will definitely read the other two books in this series, which are about other characters. Thanks, Cristal!!!
Lucy Ibn al-Rashid

I was in the mood for some big enemies-to-lovers drama and adding cold-hearted heroes and pirates to that, this book should have been the perfect recipe for me.

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it that much. I reckon it had potential, but there were some things that just annoyed the hell out of him and made me lose interest and focus in the story.

First of all, Allegra's insistence that Lazar couldn't possibly be who he claimed to be was just aggravating.

He kept on insisting he was the long lost pri
Carolina
Jun 30, 2014 Carolina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ay, qué maravilla ...more
Hannah
I think I got my hopes up again.

I really wish I hadn't though. Most reviews raved about how magical and fairytale-like this book was and I was excited to read something fun and silly. The beginning was fun at least; I was engrossed in the story and I was rooting for the characters, but I quickly lost interest after they left the city.

If this book truly had been silly and fun, then I think I would've enjoyed it more. But the whole story was riddled with over-the-top cliches and overused romance
Sakura
Dec 28, 2011 Sakura rated it it was ok
I'm either having very bad luck with books or I'm just in another extra picky phase. I'm only going to list out all the things I didn't like about the book because I can honestly say that the only thing I liked was the promise it held on the book jacket summary.

Cons:
-No spark between hero and heroine.
-Story/conflict took away too much from the romance.
-Took almost half the book for them to get on the boat and for the getting-to-know-each-other part to start, which is the whole reason why I'm rea
Zoe
Oct 07, 2015 Zoe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a shallow book!?

I will summarize my frustration in a few points:

1. What is so great about a man who just wants to sleep with you??
2. What is so great about a woman who falls in love with a painting and accuses the man in said painting of falling short of her expectations??
3. No feelings whatsover between lead characters. Heroine appeals to hero's moral ideals. But I do not feel that she is fair herself either.

I think overall the plot is not so bad, but I just do not believe that the heroi
Karen
Aug 06, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
Prince Lazar di Fiore of the island nation of Ascension was driven away from his homeland at the age of 13 when his father's government was overthrown and his family was executed. Living the life of a pirate, he longed for the day that he could return to the island and avenge his family's deaths. After 15 years, that day finally came. His plan was simple. He would steal the daughter of the corrupt governor and execute her while he forced her father to watch. When he was finished, he would loot t ...more
Maria
Jul 26, 2010 Maria rated it did not like it
Lazar, is a missing prince, who returns home vowing revenge against the upsurpers that killed his family. Allegra, throws a wrench in his plans. She is the daughter of his sworn enemy and he kidnaps her and takes her off with his pirate crew.

Why I picked it up: Pirates, kidnapping and storming the castle... this had elements of my favorite movies.

Why I finished it: I keep hoping that Foley could pull it all together. Her pacing was static, and the characters spent more time explaining their acti
Dina
Mar 09, 2009 Dina marked it as wish-list
Recommended to Dina by: KarenH from Amazon
From KarenH @ Ami:
'Pirate Prince by Gaelen Foley - excellent. This was her debut novel and IMO is just as good, if not better, than all of the books she has written since (including The Duke, a keeper for me). The poor hero is such a tortured soul but the heroine loves him unconditionally, and their story is one of those "fairy tale romances" that when it's over you just want to kiss the book it's so sweet. (Ok, maybe you don't want to kiss the book but you know what I mean.)'

**********

Sounds in
Sbell
Someone recently mentioned this book to
me and told me how good it was. Well,
it happened to be in my top 5 historical
books of all times. I have re-read this
book many times, and saw that I had actually
never rated it.

I can't even say how much I love Lazar.
Every. Single. Thing. About. Him.
I love his strength, I love his determination,
I love his soft side, and I FLOVE how
he treats Allegra.

Simply put, Lazar and Allegra just fit.
They absolutely belong together. I
loved the build-up of their relatio
KatieV
3.5 stars. I did truly enjoy this. It's an interesting story and it kept me engaged.

Written in 1997, this is one where you see the clear shift from the old skool to the new skool alpha. In fact this hero could be the poster boy. Don't get me wrong, I like him. He was sexy, but I think I'm still more attracted to the old skool type (in books anyway).

The new skool alpha is (in my opinion) more of a woobie (see http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php...). He feels his tortured past. This one even w
Holly
Kathy
I thought I’d like The Pirate Prince. I love pirates. Ok, I love Highlander’s too. *sigh* Set on the island of Ascension, pirate prince Lazar di Fiore plans the perfect revenge against the man who had taken everything from him. He plans to kill the daughter of his enemy and will kill him too, but first, he will make him watch his daughter as she is murdered.

However, things don’t go his way when he meets Allegra Monteverdi. He just can’t find it in him to kill her. She’s beautiful, spirited and
Joy
Apr 07, 2010 Joy rated it really liked it
Maureen Feeney
Feb 18, 2010 Maureen Feeney rated it really liked it
I wont go into the plot because Karen has done it justice in her review.I did not know until i read the reviews that this was Gaelen Foley's debut novel and what a start.I love pirates and this book lived up to expectations.This is a great book, but have to add that it took Allegra and Lazar far too long to get together, plus she took him back too quickly at the end and that stopped me from giving it the 5 stars. Looking forward to "The Princess" the next in the series then "Prince Charming" is ...more
Keighley McCarty
Oct 12, 2012 Keighley McCarty rated it it was amazing
The Pirate Prince kept me glued to my seat, as I shared the fear, excitement and grief of Allegra. Both Lazar and Allegra were written so well that I believed that they truly were in love, and it made my heart swell. I have read all three books, and I was truly sad when the trilogy came to an end. It isn't easy writing a book that produces so much feeling from the reader, as Gaelen's writing did, and I applaud her for that. I will never forget these books, and they are certainly on my keep list.
Pamela Shropshire
Apr 17, 2016 Pamela Shropshire rated it really liked it
I don't recall having read any of this author's work before. I'm reading it now as the Book of the Month for the OSRBC.

Allegra is the daughter of the governor of Ascencion, an island kingdom (fictional) off the Italian coast. The previous king and all his family were murdered years before, and the current rulers are oppressing the peasants who are constantly fomenting revolts.

Lazar do Fiore is the only member of the royal family to have escaped the assassins. He has returned after years away to
Buffy
Jun 06, 2012 Buffy rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
The heroine of this book is the new holder of the hotly contested Most Annoying Female Protagonist prize. Congratulations.
Endless orations, sanctimonious arguments, and the utter inability to listen. He should have killed her and found some hot pirate wench. I would have finished THAT book.

DNF
Nikki
Sep 18, 2011 Nikki rated it really liked it
Lazar, thats a hero to swoon for. This plot is great, face paced and adventurous not to mention romantic. If someone hated romance novels pick this up it will change their minds.
Julianna
Sep 04, 2014 Julianna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical Romance w/Pirates
Reviewed for THC Reviews
The Pirate Prince was Gaelen Foley's first published romance sixteen years ago, and what a debut it was. I absolutely loved this story of a lost prince turned pirate, finally returning to his island nation to take up the throne that is his birthright. The country in question is the fictional island of Ascension located in the Mediterranean off the coast of Italy (yes, there is a real Ascension Island, but it's located in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean). The story has a
Val
I really liked this one. I thought it was gonna be much shorter but I can't say I'd want to cut off any of those scenes. It started off a bit weird. His immediate attraction to her was a bit too intense for me. But when I thought this was going to be just another one of those love-at-first-sight kinda book, it picked up. Their relationship was awesome and hilarious. I'm glad the author took her time with those two.

The only thing that bugged me a bit was how the author spent three pages with the
KarenF
Aug 27, 2011 KarenF rated it it was ok
I had a hard time rating this one. It wasn't badly written as these things go but it wasn't my cup of tea. The hero, Lazar, seemed balanced between a true old-school alph-hole "hero" and current hero behavior. Which means that while he doesn't physically harm or rape the heroine he still threatens it, holds her hostage, certainly makes her think he's going to rape her and in general acts like a big stinking jerk a lot of the time. The heroine is also rather old style, completely sexually unaware ...more
Elle
Jan 08, 2011 Elle rated it really liked it
Dangermousie
And that is why I keep reading Foley books. Most of them don't work for me, but when they do (as it does here and in The Duke), she hits it out of the park.

This combines pirates/sworn family enemies/hidden royalties tropes into one delicious, super-angsty mix. Prince Lazar of the tiny fictional kingdom of Ascencion (think Corsica) is the only survivor of the murdered royal family. He escaped when he was 13 and now, at 28, as a ruthless powerful pirate, he returns - not to rule the place or anyt
Angarad
Nov 28, 2013 Angarad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazin historical and romantic story. Mixing adventure, political struggle, deep tragedy and passionate love. This books takes us from one side of the world to the other, goong in between through so many troubles both real and emotional.
I loved discovering Lazar bits by bits. He is a very complex and tortured man, runing away from his past and fate but riskîg everything for love. Allegra is a young and idealistic woman would will finally open his eyes and lead him to his destiny. She could be q
Mutia fatimah
Apr 27, 2012 Mutia fatimah rated it liked it
sigh....

I'm sorry but it's very very dissapointed, that's all I can say bout this book. and all I can do during read this is think when I can finish this book. but over all, lazar make this better, at least I'm not mad because of a big expectation of this book.

alurnya menurutku lamaaaa banget, dan karakter lazar dan allegra nya juga ga kuat. it's too soon to confess their love. dimana lazar nya kurang dibikin seperti bajak laut yg konon katanya kejam 'iblis Antingua'. dari pertama ketemu Allegra
Sultana ❥ (Seduced by dem heartbreakers) ❥
Gaelen Foley's debut The Pirate Prince was the first ever Historical Romance I read and I gotta say it was one of THE best Romance book I've ever read. When getting acquainted with the genre, I wasn't disappointed at all. This book had a handsome prince, a fair maiden whose adoration he must win, and kingdom in dire need of its rightful ruler. Foley set the book in the fictional island of Ascension, and it's splendid scenery made the reading experience an absolute delight.

Our hero, the crown pri
Brianna
Apr 20, 2016 Brianna rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

I never would have picked this up if it weren't for the Old School Romance Book Club on FaceBook. It was chosen as the group's book of the month for April, and I do try to read them whenever I can. This story was certainly different from any other historical romance I've read so far. Firstly, the pirates! Granted, there are other pirate romances, but this is only my second. I'm glad I've started exploring this little niche of the genre. Secondly, the book took place in uncommon(to me)s
Oct 09, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
I liked this book.For once,she was the strong one,the one who saved him and shown him the path that he should follow.I also loved how they teased each other and his line before he went to Al Khuum and she demanded to take her with him he said: "What are going to do,my fierce kitten?Hiss at the bad man?". Little did he know then that she really was going to be the one that saves him.Ha!Serves him right.The ending was sweet,although it felt a little rushed.All in all,I liked it.3 stars from me.
  • My Wicked Pirate
  • The Pirate Lord (Lord Trilogy, #1)
  • The Windflower
  • Magic Embrace
  • The Pirate Next Door (Regency Pirates, #1)
  • Once a Pirate
  • The Iron Rose (Dante Pirates, #2)
  • The Pirate Prince
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • The Pirate and the Pagan
  • Broken Wing
  • A Pirate's Pleasure (North American Woman Trilogy, #2)
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • The Angel and the Prince
  • The Prince Kidnaps a Bride (Lost Princesses, #3)
  • Thief of Hearts
  • A Rose at Midnight
  • Lovesong (Song, #1)
Gaelen Foley is the New York Times, USA Today, and Publisher's Weekly bestselling author of twenty historical romances set in the glittering world of Regency England. Her books are available in sixteen languages and have won numerous genre awards, such as the Bookseller's Best, the NJRW Golden Leaf (three times), the CRW Award of Excellence, the National Reader's Choice Award, the Beacon, and the ...more
More about Gaelen Foley...

Ascension Trilogy (3 books)
  • Princess (Ascension Trilogy #2)
  • Prince Charming (Ascension Trilogy #3)

“You’re not terrified of me. You’re terrified of letting yourself care for me, and I can’t say I blame you. People who love me usually end up dead. But you see, I’m not going to give you any choice. You belong to me now whether you like it or not.”
“I don’t like it, not one bit!”
“Try to escape,” he suggested coolly. “Go ahead. See what happens. Give me one excuse to take what I want from you, even if it is against your will. I want you that much. Too damned much.” He turned without warning and kissed her, flattening her back against the pine mast.”
17 likes