I'm a Believer: My Life of Monkees, Music, and Madness

I'm a Believer: My Life of Monkees, Music, and Madness

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In fascinating, star-studded anecdotes, original Monkee Mickey Dolenz takes readers from his starring role at age 12 as TVs Circus Boy to the open casting call that brought the Monkees together, through the creative conflicts that finally drove them apart.
Published September 1st 1993 by Hyperion (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about I'm a Believer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm a Believer

Marcea
The subtitle of this book is ‘my life of monkees, music and madness’, and mostly I’d have to characterize this book is mundane mediocrity. I was ga-ga for the Monkees at eight years old and my sister did treat me to one of their reunion shows several years ago. The TV show had some funny quirky humor and some of the music was quite good, but this book doesn’t reflect that. Dolenz & his ghost writer give such a high gloss job to his own image that the entire book comes off as a promo piece. T...more
Megan
A fun read! I find Micky Dolenz extremely funny, and this book had me cracking up every couple of pages. Despite having a second author attached to the book, the voice of the book is Micky Dolenz's. I could hear his voice in my head throughout the entire time I was reading. It was great since I find Micky Dolenz's voice incredibly sexy.

Despite being entertaining, it wasn't very informational. I already knew a lot of what he talked about in the book just by watching his commentary on the tv movie...more
Lee Anne
This turned out to be not too bad. Micky Dolenz, who of late has been bringing his Micky Dolenz brand of forced wackiness to things such as "Gone Country," comes across in this memoir as crazy, sure, but self aware and genuinely funny, too.

The other three Monkees come off as you'd suspect as well: Peter's a dyed-in-the-wool hippie, Mike's concerned about artistic integrity, Davy's vain. Everyone comes in for some knocks, but Micky doesn't leave himself out--he was a hard partier in the years whe...more
Bill
I've been a big Monkees fan for about as long as I can remember, so I was predisposed to thinking this would be at least okay going into it, and I was right. Not the most gripping (read: salacious) celebrity autobio I've ever read, but it held my interest. And you learn that Davy Jones is pretty much a douche, which I always kinda suspected. So if you're a Monkees fan (or just enjoy 60s bubblegum pop), you'd do well to check this out. Dolenz spins a half-decent anecdote when he's of a mind to. A...more
The writing, like most celebrity autobiographies, is no great literature. But being a fan this was a very interesting read simply for the details of his life in The Monkees. And he is quite an interesting person. Someone from the entertainment world for whom that is not their entire existence. For instance, after the big blow up that ended their 1987 reunion tour, he went back to school to get a degree in philosophy. He has also dabbled in quantum physics. If you can handle the writing flaws, th...more
Marge
Okay, I TOTALLY admit I was madly in love with Mickey Dolenz when I was ten! And I still love when I hear that he's still performing (most recently on Broadway in "Aida") and directing (mostly in London). This is a bio of his youth and how he came to be a "Monkee" and the phenomenon it was in the mid-60's. As you can see from my book list, I really enjoy show-biz autobiographies. To me they're a good, fun read and a peek behind the scenes of "show biz".
Gary Cabana
I was a Monkees fan as a kid, but I had no idea what a phenomenon they were until reading Mickey Dolenz' enjoyable and semi-tragic tale detailing his own career before and after the Monkees. It always amazes me how four guys in 1 studio can create music that none of them can duplicate alone. The Beatles came first, and then came The Monkees. Worth a read for anyone who thinks they'd like a career in music, TV, or the movies.
Devon
Micky Dolenz is absolutely hilarious. I mean, I knew his character on the TV show was hilarious...but Micky Dolenz himself is hilarious as well. This whole book kept me laughing out loud and his outlook on all of his band mates and the way he tells a story...all of it put together was actually a very good book...something I didn't expect from a musician...I know, I'm discriminating again.
Karen
It was a fun book to read, but Micky doesn't really delve a whole lot into details. He talks about the drama behind the 20th anniversary reunion (tour), but just vaguely. He goes into grand detail about his first wife, Samantha, but barely mentions his second wife. So you know it ended badly, but absolutely no details about the marriage - that sort of thing.
Angie
As I was cleaning the basement, I found this book and remembered how awesome it was. I read it my senior year of high school. This is the book about the life of my favorite Monkee, Mickey Dolenz. It goes into his life as a child actor and into his Monkee career. The book discusses his relationships, daughter, drug use, friends, etc. I loved every page of it.
Allison
HILARIOUS. If you want to know about Micky's life before, after, and during the Monkees, this is the primo source (naturally). He's so humorous and repeatedly caused me to crack up. Also, a really quick read! I read it over two days on the subway, you you could definitely read the whole thing in a sitting. You won't want to put it down.
Andy
Oct 22, 2008 Andy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sixties rock fans
Shelves: rock-sleaze
Pretty cool bio by Mickey Dolenz that covers his child star beginnings to the formation of the Monkees and everything that followed. I like the fact that he covered a lot of ground about the groovy Hollywood scene in the psych days. Even if you're not a Monkees fan you'll still find a lot of great gossip about the old rock days.
Mark
I read the original version published in 1993. Nice quick read. Mickey is a funny guy-sometimes hard to know when he is serious and when he is serious. :-)
Rob
I enjoyed this book. It gave some good insight to Micky's life and his time with the Monkees. Lots of funny stories. An entertaining book.
Erik
Raced through this enjoyable (but not very detailed) memoir of Dolenz's days as a Monkee.
Jillian
Anything I can read about my beloved Monkees is gold.

Thanks to Amy and Ben for this one.
Erin
Not great, but because of my OVERWHELMING love for The Monkees, I couldn't put it down.
Chris Leib
Don't have the updated version, but the original edition was very well done.
Shannon
What a strange bunch! This will bring you straight back to the 1960's
Julie_ian_curtis
i read the first edition want to read the 2004 re issue too
betsy
Surprisingly interesting and funny, even for a casual fan.
Joe Chamberlin
Joe Chamberlin marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Missy
Missy added it
Aug 02, 2014
Misspebbles
Misspebbles marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Kelsey
Kelsey marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
George Michael Dolenz, Jr. (born March 8, 1945) is an American actor, musician, television director and theatre director; he is best known for his role as the drummer/vocalist in the 1960s made-for-television band, The Monkees.

More about Micky Dolenz...
Gakky Two-Feet Micky Dolenz Puts You to Sleep Micky Dolenz' Rock 'n Rollin' Trivia: Put Your Knowledge of Pop Music Legend, Fact & Myth to the Test The Monkees - Greatest Hits