Start by marking “First Cut: A Season in the Human Anatomy Lab” as Want to Read:
First Cut: A Season in the Human Anatomy Lab

First Cut: A Season in the Human Anatomy Lab

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  9 reviews
With humor, compassion, and wisdom, Howard Carter recounts the semester he spent watching first-year medical students in a human anatomy lab. From the tentative early incisions of the back, the symbolic weight of extracting the heart, and by the end, the curious mappings of the brain, we embark on a path that is at once frightening, awesome, and finally redemptive.
Published July 15th 1998 by Picador (first published October 1997)

To ask other readers questions about First Cut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Cut

Kristin
Oct 08, 2009 Kristin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People with an interest in medical school
I missed my opportunity to go to med school a few years ago, and while I am happy with the career I chose, I sometimes wonder 'what if?' I toured a medical school, and of course they showed off their human anatomy lab, a very fascinating sight for sure, as the students were hard at work with their cadaver dissection.
Compared to what I saw there, Carter captures the activities of the anatomy lab perfectly. It has the right balance of technical science terminology and layman explanations to accura
Ayla
After taking an anatomy and physiology course in school, I found this book to help make concrete many of the body systems we covered. Unlike the students in the book we did not dissect human cadavers, actually I didn't dissect anything, having missed the one dissection, but as a CNA I have cared for newly deceased patients. He brought humanity and an awareness of what fresh medical students go through in their learning of the human body and its functions. He also brought the idea of what to do w ...more
Overall, I didn't enjoy this book at all. When I first picked up this First Cut, I thought it would be a great, interesting read that gave good insight into the medical field and how it feels to experience the human anatomy lab in medical school. However, I found myself unable to follow the narration many times throughout the book, and I felt that the author spent too much time analyzing things, and not enough time actually trying to understand what it's like to be a part of an anatomy lab. The ...more
Sue
Great. I've been yearning and searching for a book like this one ever since I saw the movie Gross Anatomy. Nothing gross about it -- more like miraculous, simply miraculous.
***
What I didn't like: a little too "wordy," in the manner of a novel.

I also did not like the abrupt changes in text presentation. We read along, the story is great and then turn the page to an illustration. The story is interrupted, in magazine-style, to describe the graphic.

Donna
This was an okay read, and only interesting because I am starting medical school next week. It is for a very specific audience. It's written from the viewpoint of an English professor who is interested in surveying the events in a first year medical student anatomy lab. I felt like he was trying to hard to make it poetic, but he did do a good job once in a while relaying some of the emotions that may be felt throughout cadaver dissections. There was a creepy moment when he seemed obsessed with t ...more
Amber Hanneken
At first I was a little apprehensive when starting this book. However, as I flew through all the chapters I began to enjoy it more. I am currently in the same shoes as the students he writes about. I find this story very relatable and has answered many of the questions and concerns that I have had myself about the bodies from the gross lab. This book opened my eyes and made me see them in a whole new light.
Ike
I picked up this book in my college library. At the time I was a athletic training student and taking several anatomy classes. These included a couple of brief hands on experiences with cadavers. I picked up the book to get a feel for what med student's go through.

The book painted a wonderfull picture of the dynamic between student's and those who donated their bodies to science.

I would recommend it to anyone in an anotomy related field or preparing for med school.
Mary Whisner
An English professor spends his sabbatical with first-year med students. Fascinating -- for the anatomy, for the look at a particular type of education, for the humanity.
Thea
Anatomy is cool.
Uyen
Uyen added it
Jul 22, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Natalie Pond
Natalie Pond marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Stephanie Allen
Stephanie Allen marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Bridget
Bridget is currently reading it
Jan 01, 2015
Rt
Rt added it
Dec 19, 2014
Eduardo
Eduardo marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Veronica Greenfield
Veronica Greenfield marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Our Human Hearts: A Medical and Cultural Journey Rising from the Flames: The Experience of the Severly Burned