Start by marking “Wrath of the Lion ” as Want to Read:
Wrath of the Lion

Wrath of the Lion

At the height of the Cold War, a renegade submarine threatens to ignite Europe in all-out war.

The French submarine L'Alouette prowls deep beneath the surface of the North Atlantic, its crew members eager to spill blood in the service of their frenzied nationalism -- regardless of the cost. And only one man can stop them.

That man is Neil Mallory, former lieutenant colonel o
Published (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Wrath of the Lion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wrath of the Lion

Thom Swennes
Aug 05, 2016 Thom Swennes rated it liked it
Everything is not what it seems…
Neil Mallory, an ex-officer, and paratrooper in the army, is now working behind the scenes. He is James Bond, minus the double o prefix and the license to kill (though he does a pretty good job even without the official sanction).
A French terrorist fraction has absconded with a mini-submarine belonging to the French navy. The sub was originally designed and built by Germany in 1945 but was sunk, with the loss of all hands, shortly after launching. It was conseque
Richard
Jun 05, 2012 Richard rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish

Got to the eighth chapter (about 30%), but it just did not grab me enough to continue reading. A bit slow paced for me.
Rebecca
This is another of the older Jack Higgins novels that was original published in the name of John Long in 1964.

His older books have been rather hit and miss. This was one of the better ones. It was actually quite good. One of the characters who was in it briefly was Owen Morgan, who I think from the description is the same one from another of Higgins book A Game for Heroes. But I could not be sure as Higgins seems to reuse characters names and I am never always sure if they are the same ones. Som
Maddie
Jun 12, 2014 Maddie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't that this book was necessarily bad I just found it hard to get into. Or more like I'd just get into it and then had to stop reading, wouldn't read for a couple of days and then it would just be so hard to get back into that eventually I gave. May give it another go one day though and try to actually finish it next time.

Reached page 207.
Annie Jones
May 08, 2014 Annie Jones rated it liked it
A good quick read, a bit slow in the middle. As usual with Jack Higgins the action when it comes is fast paced. Characters are all a bit stiff though, no room for development I guess. If you are looking for lots of action you have it here in diverse settings.
Ginger Weirich
Nov 17, 2014 Ginger Weirich rated it really liked it
Excellent suspense story with both an English and a French spies, who are trying to thwart the evil deeds of the council of French resistance, a group trying to overthrow DeGalle's government sometime after the Korean war era. Plenty of edge-of-your-seat action and heart-stopping moments.
Jim
Nov 26, 2010 Jim rated it did not like it
It's my own fault. I love books about submarines. But I forgot to remind myself that Jack Higgens wrote "The Eagle Has Landed" plus 50 so-so books. This is one of the so-sos.
Joe O'c
Aug 30, 2009 Joe O'c rated it liked it
Very Good; French terrorists using small submarine are thwarted by former soldier.
Neville
Feb 16, 2013 Neville rated it really liked it
Good story line. Typical Jack Higgins book with it based on sea adventures (not all) and a read that will keep you interested until the end.
Richard
Aug 24, 2014 Richard rated it liked it
This book was a reasonable vacation time read. Set in the Channel Islands, mostly a suspense tale. Somewhat predictable, but I never felt the urge to put it down.
Don Andrews
Perhaps not one of Higgins best, but that's still better than a great many of other authors best ! An engaging story that kept me turning pages to the end.
Brian Hawk
Brian Hawk rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Michael
Nov 30, 2013 Michael rated it did not like it
Awful story, didn't really flow. I'm glad his stories got a bit better.......
Katrina
Katrina rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2010
Jamie Ells
Jamie Ells rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2017
Gaurav
Gaurav rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2012
Tony
Tony rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2014
Lisa Malmquist
Lisa Malmquist rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2009
Lakshmi N Balaji
Lakshmi N Balaji rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2015
Bob Porter
Bob Porter rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2017
Johan
Johan rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2015
Jim shearer
Jim shearer rated it did not like it
Jul 30, 2016
Michael Kane
Michael Kane rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Gokhan
Gokhan rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2012
Stuart Walters
Stuart Walters rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2013
Richard Earle
Richard Earle rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2013
Al Molnar
Al Molnar rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
José Amorim
José Amorim rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Simon
Simon rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Passage (Dan Lenson, #4)
  • Charlie M (Charlie Muffin, #1)
  • Flash Point
  • Twinkle, Twinkle Little Spy
  • The Mountain of Gold  (The Journals of Matthew Quinton, #2)
  • The Book of Fires (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #14)
  • Snow Falcon (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #1)
  • All the Way to Berlin: A Paratrooper at War in Europe
  • The Spy (Jed Walker, #1)
  • Lenin's Harem
  • The Lonely Sea: Collected Short Stories
  • Post Grad
  • Inside the Wire : A Military Intelligence Soldier's Eyewitness Account of Life at Guantanamo
  • A King's Trade (Alan Lewrie, #13)
  • História, História: Two Years in the Cape Verde Islands
  • Exit Wound (Nick Stone, #12)
  • The Grand Tour: Letters and Photographs from the British Empire Expedition 1922
  • Raven Strike (Dreamland, #13)
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...