A Game For Heroes

A Game For Heroes

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The occupied Channel Islands: the last outpost of German resistance at the end of a long and savage conflict. Most feared amongst them: St. Pierre, the heavily guarded fortress chosen by a crazed SS Commandant for his suicidal final stand. With Berlin on the verge of capture, it is the most sensitive mission of the war. An end game that calls for a hero - with something el...more
Paperback
Published May 28th 1998 by Penguin (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about A Game For Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Game For Heroes

J.T.
This wartime thriller features nazis, British and American colonels and sergeants, and ostensibly it is about a spy mission to destroy a German mcguffin-installation in the Channel islands, but it's perversely enough not really a war novel. A compact and muscular men-on-a-mission thriller that turns to a character study and a maritime disaster yarn, this is a terrific, propulsive read. It doesn't matter what colors you wear in a war; people are people, relationships demand attention, and if you...more
L.J.
The concept of the story is great, and I think Higgins cannot be faulted for his knowledge of the subject matter as he brings the setting and characters to life really well. He is a great story teller and has a great imagination. I didn't give this book a high mark because it is a little tedious after reading his other books I caught myself feeling too much like I had read this before only a better version and it was just in a different location. It is a good summertime, beach read otherwise the...more
Penny
Love this author. Even his worst books are always entertaining. This one has a copyright date of 1970 by James Graham. Higgins has several pen names (Patterson, Harry; Fallon, Martin; Graham, James; Marlowe, Hugh) so he can be difficult to track sometimes.
He is at his best when writing about the WWII as in his classic "The Eagle has Landed".
This novel is about the German occupation of an imaginary island in the Channel Islands. If you have read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"...more
Annette McIntyre
Not bad, though a bit confusing in it's method of telling the tale - it starts in the middle, then goes back to the start.
Michel
Just read it again on vacation - a thumping good read indeed, even though it sacrifices to the genre's tradition of happy-ending-all-around, as if the war only killed villains and far distant acquaintances: friends and heroes survive (oops! was that a spoiler?)
A little too much machismo for today's tastes maybe, but hey, this was the war, sissies didn't make it in the special forces.
Dan
A library audio book that kept me awake while traveling cross country. It almost didn't do the job--the book was pretty slow to start and the guy who did the recording was hard to understand at first. But once the story got going I enjoyed the action and the WWII history lesson.
Scott
A Game for Heroes was a slow somewhat boring book. It is not worth reading. The characters are as interesting as cardboard cut outs. There is nothing redeeming about the book. Don’t waste your time.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Channel Island held by Germans in the last days of the war becomes the target of a group of commandos; they are captured and work together with some of the Germans towards common goals.
Lesley
Bubba61909
I really like war books and this is another that I can say is on the good shelf. There is a lot of drama and action in this so I recommend it.
David Rivett
a really good read & really enjoyed it even though I have read itsome years ago. Worth reading again.
Alan Varghese
The story doesn't hold well. Did not enjoy it very much.
Praveer Nath
Fast paced and a good read
Tony
Wardy
Wardy added it
Jul 19, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
CS
CS added it
Jun 26, 2014
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan...more
More about Jack Higgins...
The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1) Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1) Night of the Fox Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2) On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)