Start by marking “Memorial de Aires” as Want to Read:
Memorial de Aires

Machado de Assis

Memorial de Aires

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  454 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The last novel by Brazil's most important writer, Memorial de Aires doesn't have a strict plot. It is structured as a kind of diarly of Counselor Aires, a retired diplomat. His notes tell several stories including that of Tristão, who falls in love with and marries a young widow, Fidália. After their marriage, the couple go to Europe, leaving their friends with only sadnes ...more
Paperback
Published by Corregidor (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about Memorial de Aires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memorial de Aires

Jonfaith
Nov 13, 2013 Jonfaith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In fact if it really was a tear, it was so fleeting that by the time I was aware of it no longer existed. All is transient in this world If my eyes were not so bad I'd set about composing another Ecclesiastes, a modern version, even though after that book nothing can be considered modern. He said that there was nothing new under the sun, and if there wasn't then, there wasn't before and never will be again. Everything is contradictory as well as confused.

The Wager is comprised of the journal en
Clarice
Aug 24, 2012 Clarice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O último romance de Machado de Assis é inadvertidamente lido como se representasse o “canto do cisne” do escritor, que morreu no mesmo ano em que o livro foi publicado. A leve e doce ironia presente em Memorial de Aires é vista como a perda do vigor de Machado de Assis, numa leitura determinista de sua obra. É neste último romance, porém, que encontramos o princípio da ironia agindo na própria ironia: quanto mais leve, mais radical ela é.

A ironia primeira está no título do romance, que cria uma
Celeste Corrêa
Machado de Assis (1839-1908) está para a Literatura Brasileira como Eça de Queiroz (1845-1900) para a Portuguesa.

Muito se discute a importância que as relações entre Eça e Machado exerceram sobre a obra do escritor português.

As semelhanças de estilo e tom são evidentes; Será Eça, discípulo de Machado? Talvez, digo eu. Mas são, ambos, maravilhosos. Brasileiros e Portugueses temos muito a agradecer a estes dois escritores que souberam, como ninguém, evidenciar a beleza da nossa língua comum.

“Memor
Isabel Maia
Memorial de Aires consiste em entradas de diário escritos entre 1888 e 1889 pelo conselheiro Aires, um diplomata reformado e sexagenário, aquando do seu regresso ao Brasil natal para gozar os seus anos de reforma. São vários os assuntos que aborda, mas todos eles acabam por estar mais ligados às relações pessoais do conselheiro do que propriamente uma análise da sociedade. Nas páginas do diário figuram personagens como a mana Rita, a viúva Fidélia Noronha, o casal Aguiar, o político Tristão (afi ...more
Amargo e sarcástico observador dos costumes e da condição humana, Machado de Assis produziu muitas obras-primas na literatura brasileira. Em Memorial de Aires (1908), o narrador, Conselheiro Aires, conta o episódio da vida de um casal e a aventura amorosa de outros personagens.
Howard
If the back of the book is to be believed The Wager is by the greatest Brazilian author; and is of timeless quality of themes of broken dreams, love and obsession.

The story is told by Aires in the form of a diary around 1888. He is a returning retired diplomat from Portugal to Rio. He tells us of a childless aged couple who have finally had the return of `adopted' children now grown up: Fidelia an attractive youthful widow and later Tristao, a dashing politician and family friend. The wager in
Lachlan
Dec 31, 2012 Lachlan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This novel, presented as the diary of a retired diplomat, is set in Rio de Janeiro in 1888-1889. Aires, now a widower, considers himself 'old' at 60 and limits himself to observing the people in his social circle, the moneyed classes of Rio. He focuses on Tristão and Fidélia, godchildren of the Aguiars, a couple whom he visits almost daily. These two fall in love, marry and leave for Portugal, where Tristão has been elected a deputy -- in his absence, amazingly. The plot is simple and moves very ...more
Dottie
Just beginning this third book by Brazilian author Joaquim Maria Machado De Assis.

This was the best yet! This is told by a character who has been in each of the three Machado De Assis books which I've read and is his "memorial" -- which is essentially his journal or diary and he has edited it out or it was supposedly edited down with plans to have another book follow it but Machado De Assis died before writing another book. This was such a unique read -- yes, I've read other things in the form o
Maira Moura
Miguel
Jan 05, 2016 Miguel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, brasil
Um romance escrito em forma de diário, escrito por um diplomata aposentado que vai anotando as peripécias sociais e românticas que se vão desenvolvendo no seu círculo de relações pessoais. Um enredo quase mínimo, sem grandes tensões ou conflitos, mas uma narrativa magistralmente tecida, e uma escrita perfeita, ponteada de humor e ternura. Tratando-se do último romance do autor, é um exercício impressivo sobre o envelhecimento vivido por dentro, ou seja por quem está a envelhecer.
Jeannine
Feb 28, 2013 Jeannine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early in the book we are introduced to Aires, an older widower recently returned to Brazil in the 1880s after his career as a diplomat has ended. He sees the lovely widow Fidália at the cemetery grieving piously over the loss of her husband. Moved by her image, he asks his sister for more details of the women’s story. He is soon emotionally bound in a wager with her over whether she will ever remarry. In order to get closer to Fidália, Aires is befriended by an older childless couple who are bou ...more
Gláucia Renata
Sep 11, 2014 Gláucia Renata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Último romance do autor, o livro tem traços autobiográficos. Escrito poucos anos após a morte de sua amada esposa e companheira, conta a história de um casal de idosos, suas alegrias e a grande tristeza de não terem tido filhos. Como Machado e Carolina.
Anya
Jul 06, 2015 Anya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a seriously great book, and I say that knowing full well I'll have to read it again at some point, as there's just too much to unpack here. I haven't read other works by de Assis, and I don't doubt that he has written better than this, but as a short work that observes very calmly and naturally the differences between generations you could not ask for me. Don't be tricked by the way they attempt to market it - it isn't about an old man's 'obsessions'; rather, it's a very subtle psycholog ...more
Joe
Apr 15, 2009 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this book 3.5 stars, or maybe 3.75, I would. I bought it because it sounded interesting, and I was able to find the original Portuguese version as well, so I intend to try to read it in Portuguese next to learn the language a little. I found that it had a lot in common with some Murakami short stories I was reading at the same time. (What those similarities are I can't remember at this moment, but I will update this entry in the furute).

This was Machado de Assis' last book, and A
Clara
Sep 29, 2014 Clara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um dos melhores livros de Machado de Assis que já li. Leitura rápida, entretanto impactante como tudo desse autor, além de deliciosa. Para quem gosta de uma boa literatura brasileira recomendo!
Amanda Alexandre
Definitely the less impressive of Machado's works. None of the things I like about him is present in this novel: no humor, no acute critique, no spirited characters, no language playings... None of it. I couldn't care much for the characters. Feels like Machado burned all of his best in previous works and there was nothing left to make up for this.
jorge h f faria
Apr 15, 2015 jorge h f faria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Memorial de Aires é um livro incompleto. Diversos capítulos completos e alguns experimentos com os personagens colocam o livro muito longe de "Esaú e Jacó" e "Dom Casmurro".
Moureco
Jul 04, 2013 Moureco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
belissimo o discorrer da pena de Machado de Assis.
Ruth B.
May 30, 2012 Ruth B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muito legal, meu livro preferido do Machado.
Julia
Leticia Rodrigues
Leticia Rodrigues marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Iuri Colares
Iuri Colares marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Joel Kanneth
Joel Kanneth marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Helio Neves
Helio Neves marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Luhvanny
Luhvanny rated it really liked it
Carolina
Carolina rated it it was ok
Bruna Santos
Bruna Santos marked it as to-read
Alberto Roberto
Alberto Roberto rated it it was amazing
Debora Santos
Debora Santos marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
  • Vestido de Noiva
  • E do Meio do Mundo Prostituto Só Amores Guardei Ao Meu Charuto
  • The vampire of Curitiba and other stories
  • Para Viver Um Grande Amor: Crônicas E Poemas
Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis, often known as Machado de Assis, Machado, or Bruxo do Cosme Velho, (June 21, 1839, Rio de Janeiro—September 29, 1908, Rio de Janeiro) was a Brazilian novelist, poet, playwright and short story writer. He is widely regarded as the most important writer of Brazilian literature. However, he did not gain widespread popularity outside Brazil in his own lifetime.
Machado's
More about Machado de Assis...

“Se os mortos vão depressa, os velhos ainda vão mais depressa que os mortos... Viva a mocidade!” 0 likes
“Ora, eu creio que um velho túmulo dá melhor impressão do ofício, se tem as negruras do tempo, que tudo consome. O contrário parece sempre da véspera.” 0 likes