Start by marking “Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1)

Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett #1)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,129 Ratings  ·  563 Reviews
Once, Special Agent Smoky Barrett hunted serial killers for the FBI. She was one of the best–until a madman terrorized her family, killed her husband and daughter, and left her face scarred and her soul brutalized. Turning the tables on the killer, Smoky shot him dead–but her life was shattered forever.

Now Smoky dreams about picking up her weapon again. She dreams about p
Published March 27th 2007 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Man

The Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Thrillers
192nd out of 2,457 books — 3,069 voters
Sworn to Silence by Linda CastilloBlood Orchids by Toby NealHeavy Duty People by Iain ParkeMonkeewrench by P.J. TracyGorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith
CRIME WRITERS WHO DESERVE MORE ATTENTION
11th out of 467 books — 246 voters

More lists with this book...

Sherri
Sep 24, 2012 Sherri rated it it was ok
Today on Cooking With Plagiarism, we're going to work on a little recipe called "Shadow Man." This is a pretty spicy dish, and will be too hot for those of you who are sensitive to too much gore and pretty much unpalatable to those of you who like your plots without holes. For the rest of you, let's get started. First, when cooking with plagiarism its important to start of right. Pull your very COVER from another source to give your audience a head's up on what to expect. Don't be too blatant th ...more
Brenda
Jan 12, 2016 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, a warning. Future readers should be aware that there is an abundance of gore, depravity, and evil in this book, and it is not left to the imagination! It is also countered with love and hope and loyalty.

By the end of the first chapter, I was completely hooked by this book. For me, it was very emotional. I melded myself with everything Smoky was feeling: fear, sorrow, depression, suicidal. And a few chapters later, I loved her team as she did. The cast of characters in this book are just f
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Wow, well that was intense. Right at the beginning, it does not shy away from anything does it? I had to take a break from the book now and then. Yeah, there's a lot of moments where you're like, what is going on and OMG and great, thanks for that. Yeah this book is weird.

And yet, you like some of the characters and want Smokey to get it together. Good thing she has support from her team. Near the end, I was like ohhh I knew it!

This was an intense start to a new mystery series. After catching u
Linda Strong
Dec 08, 2015 Linda Strong rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
SHADOW MAN (FBI AGENT SMOKEY BARRETT, BK 1) by CODY MCFADYEN

This was probably the third or fourth time I've read this book, and this entire series of four books. It is possibly one of the best series I have ever read. YES! It is that good!

Shadow Man introduces Smokey Barrett 6 months after a brutally traumatic experience. A killer she had been chasing breaks into her home, rapes and tortures her, leaving her with horrific facial scars. He also kills her husband young daughter.

Six months later an
Ken Heard
Dec 18, 2007 Ken Heard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This could have been a typical "investigator was nearly killed in previous case by serial killer, hunts similar serial killer after recovery" novel, but Cody McFadyen turns this into a brilliant look at psychology, personal fears, loss of love, isolation and rebound.

The villian is also the most depraved, sadistic person I've ever come across in fiction. The killer's tormenting the various FBI agents and attacking their personal fears is very unsettling.

The only problem is that, if you are payin
Katie
I got very emotionally invested in this book very quickly. Smoky's grief was intense and painful to be a part of, but her story sucked me right in.

Now that I have a little distance from it (a whole twelve hours!) I can see the things that didn't work - the sudden! sex! with a character who was just introduced as a ~protector~ was the worst, I think. It just seems like a skewed view of the grieving process. Suicide was barely off the table for Smoky at that point.

I had a hard time sleeping after
Rike
Jul 21, 2015 Rike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ich hatte schon viel Gutes über die Smoky Barrett Reihe gehört und gelesen, also wollte ich auch mal einsteigen. Das tat ich natürlich mit Band 1, und den habe ich jetzt durchgelesen. Und das recht schnell, denn das Buch ist spannend und ich hatte das Wochenende über viel Freizeit. Für alle, die selbst gern schreiben gibt es wie immer den Absatz "was lernen wir daraus?" Wem die Rezension zu lang ist: Es gibt ein knappes Fazit!

[Die Blutlinie - Cody McFadyen] Der Inhalt
FBI- Agentin Smoky Barrett i
Michele
Jun 06, 2009 Michele rated it did not like it
Shelves: my-shelf
I have no idea why this got such great reviews. It's dreadul, boring and slow. The author threw is as many gross, disturbing, and bizarre deatils simply for shock factor it seems. I don't think I'll be reading the next 2 in the series.
Michael
Bei über 5000 Ratings im Schnitt 4,1 Sterne: das muss doch was sein?
Ja, auf jeden Fall Geschmackssache.

Die höchstbegabte FBI-Agentin Smoky Barrett ist taffer als Clarice Starling und obwohl ihr Körper mit Narben überzogen ist nicht weniger attraktiv als Jodie Foster - so will es McFadyen.
Nachdem Smoky Kind und Mann verloren hat und selbst Opfer eines psychopathischen Vergewaltigers wurde, muss sie sich in der BLUTLINIE mächtig am Riemen reißen, um nach ihrer Auszeit zurück in den Dienst zu finde
Jess
May 12, 2010 Jess rated it it was amazing
This was not technically a mystery book, yes there was a mystery involved, but I would say it fits more in to the police drama/thriller genre. A word of caution, if people who are thinking of reading this book do not like detailed violence/graphic scenes I would not recommend this book. It is definitely graphic.

The main character in this book is an FBI agent and her name is Smoky. We meet Smoky in the first scene of this book describing the types of dreams she has, and then she proceeds to expla
Shiela
After loosing her daughter and husband to a sadistic serial killer, FBI agent Smokey Barrett is seriously contemplating her right to live. News of another type of killer targeting Smokey’s loved ones is the decisive event that has her back in the game. Smokey and her team of violent crime specialists must track a madman who fancies himself as Jack the Ripper’s descendant before he takes everything they hold dear.

This is one of the better thrillers I have read in a long time. Yes, there are some
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
AWESOME READ!!! I liked this book, the first in a what should be a great series. Action packed and just enough drama to keep you interested. I can not wait to read the other ones, in the series. This is a great crime novel.
Marina
Oct 08, 2015 Marina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heftig aber verdammt spannend ^^
Nadine
Mar 12, 2011 Nadine rated it it was ok
FBI-Beamtin Smoky erholt sich langsam vom schrecklichen Trauma, vergewaltigt, gefoltert und entstellt worden zu sein, sowie ihren Mann und ihre Tochter sterben sehen zu müssen. Sie wird jäh zurück in die Ermittlungsarbeit geholt, als ihre beste Freundin bestialisch ermordet aufgefunden wird. Es ist offenbar ein Serientäter am Werk, der direkt mit Smoky kommuniziert und mit ihr sein Spiel treibt. Perfiderweise greift er massiv in die Leben der einzelnen Ermittler in Smokys Team ein.

Man hat den Ei
Terri
I LOVE SMOKY BARRET!! She's the most appealing character; honest, open, accepting & real. She's the type of person I'd pick for a friend if she were real. Add to her the members of her team & you have group of characters you can't help but root for. Before you think this is another group of F.B.I agents swooping in to save the day, finish Chapter 1. The realism McFadyen uses to describe the terror that Barrett underwent to kick off the series is alarmingly real. The pain she lives throu ...more
Leon Aldrich
Apr 25, 2012 Leon Aldrich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rules of Prey fans!
Fans of John Sanford, Michael Connelly, Lawrence Block, Jefferson Parker & Don Winslow to name a few, have to add this author to their xmas reading list. This debut novel has me biting at the bit to get the next book in the series.

"Tears are the way a soul bleeds." (paraphrased line from the novel) Fresh prose like this kept me gorging throughout the entire book.
Lisa Regan
Oct 30, 2014 Lisa Regan rated it really liked it
This is like Criminal Minds meets Silence of the Lambs only more disturbing and violent. The best part of this book is the depth of its characters. I kept reading on the strength of the characters alone. Even for seasoned crime fiction readers this might be a difficult read in terms of the violence and gore. But the writing is top-notch and you will just have to keep reading to see what happens. Lots of crazy twists.

The only thing that kept this from being a 5 star for me was that the author ask
Majo
Jan 18, 2014 Majo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dios, creo que después de Marianela esto fué la cosa más aburrida que leí en mi vida :/
Keri
Jan 18, 2016 Keri rated it really liked it
CM is a new to me author and man what a first book to deliver on. His character, Smokey Barrett is in a specialized group in the FBI. They hunt monsters, of the human animal variety. Smokey is the head of this elite team and they have been very successful. But one night things go horribly wrong and Smokey's world comes to an end. The book opens six months after the event and Smokey is still struggling with the bomb-blast fallout. Does she go back to work, continue to sit and stare her scars all ...more
Darcy
Mar 16, 2010 Darcy rated it it was amazing
Smokey is an FBI agent, in fact one of their best as she heads up the LA office of violent crimes. However she is on leave after having survived the breaking in of her house by a serial killer she was chasing where he was the cause of her husband and her daughters death, along with raping, cutting, and burning her. Six months have past since this horrific incident when we first meet her and still struggling with each minute and isolating herself from those who really care about her. At the advic ...more
Georgie
Oct 31, 2012 Georgie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
got about ten chapters into this one and had to give up, which is a shame. The character of Smoky Barrett is something of a cliche in that she's the damaged-but-brilliant-female-investigator, but the circumstances around her being damaged are quite brutally unique, and had the author done away with the DREADFUL gallery of huge cliches that passes for Smoky's team (the beautiful but abrasive Callie, Alan the big black guy who's tough as nails but also really gentle, James the antisocial, rude wei ...more
Amanda
Nov 27, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants a good thriller
Recommended to Amanda by: Dinwiddie
It's been a long while since I read a book in 2 sittings in less than a day. A coworker lent me this book, claiming it was a great mystery and thriller. I was skeptical but am now a believer!

Smoky Barrett is the lead character, an FBI agent who was tortured, raped and left without a family by a serial killer that she had been chasing. Left with facial scars, Smoky returns to work (after much heartache and indecision) to hunt the newest serial killer.

Jack Jr. thinks he's the descendant of Jack th
Angie
Nov 24, 2010 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
Ich weiß nicht in wie fern es meine Bewertung zu diesem Buch beeinflussen würde, wenn ich es vor "Der Todeskünstler" gelesen hätte, aber ich muss sagen, "Die Blutlinine" ist ein ebenso eindringlicher und packender Thriller wie der zweite Band.
Der Grund, warum es diesmal nicht 5 Sterne sind, liegt am nicht ganz so spektakulären Ende. Spätestens als erwähnt wurde der Täter sei "ein gutaussehender Mann" war ich mir der Auflösung sicher.
Sehr gut beschrieben ist die innere Zerissenheit der Agentin S
Tim Warner
Apr 05, 2012 Tim Warner rated it it was amazing
I think that this is an excellent book. Top-notch. Evil against good. It was so compelling that I read it way too fast. I really wanted to savor the style and be with the characters as their complicated lives were unveiled. This is a remarkable first novel. I am not sure what Mcfadyen's reputation is - I hadn't heard about him until he was recommended here on Goodreads - - but he is a cut above any one I have been reading over the past several months. He is a top-tier writer in the serial killer ...more
Roos Boum
Oct 26, 2012 Roos Boum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this one in the Dutch version

Waarom is er geen zesde ster?

Ik had nog nooit kennisgemaakt met Cody McFadyen, maar wat een schrijver! Een prachtig drama zet hij hier neer. Keuzes voor de detective en verziekte seriemoordenaar. Superspannend. Ik had ingezet op de goede persoon als moordenaar, maar toch bleef ik twijfelen tot aan het eind. Boek houdt je in de greep tot bijna de laatste bladzijden.
Lisa
Jan 10, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
Wow this is a fast paced book about Special Agent Smoky Barrett and her team. They hunt serial killers and they have a whopper of a case this time. Smoky is a dark and intense character out to get the bad guys. She seems to be close to the edge. I think it is a fine line for her as to do her job she gets inside the minds of the serial killers she goes after.
Quinn
Jul 14, 2009 Quinn rated it it was amazing
In the crowded genre of psychological thrillers Cody McFadyen has truly separated himself from the pack. FBI agent Smoky Barrett and her team are on the trail of a brutal serial killer who claims to be a direct descendent of the Infamous “Jack the Ripper”. The hunt is on and they must stop him before he kills again.
I really liked this book for several reasons: 1. A book with strong, believable female characters. 2. The writing is superb. 3. A psychological thriller with depth of mind, both lit
Dalton Lynne
Aug 04, 2011 Dalton Lynne rated it really liked it
This was a good book - well written and with likable characters for the most part. The twist at the end did catch me by surprise. I admit that I thought I'd figured out who the killer was, but the plotting was good enough to deceive me (and I'm usually pretty good at figuring stuff like this out).

There were a few quirks that were enough to make me take away one star (and I would have actually given it a 3.5 if I could). Sometimes, Smoky grates on my nerves. I can't explain it, it's just her pers
Teresa in Ohio
Nov 27, 2009 Teresa in Ohio rated it really liked it
Shelves: mcfadden-cory
Nici
Aug 29, 2010 Nici rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Die Story ist der Auftakt einer ganz neuen Krimireihe, die ich eher zufällig entdeckt habe. Okay, eigentlich hatte ich die Bücher schön öfters in der Hand, wenn ich in der Buchhandlung war, aber immer wieder weggelegt. Bis ich dann bei audible zufällig wieder auf die Bücher aufmerksam wurde, als ich feststellte, dass meine Lieblingsvorleserin diese Serie liest.
Danach gab es kein zweites Nachdenken mehr und ich habe das erste Hörbuch gekauft und beim Spaziergang, auf dem Rad, beim Joggen und auf
  • Abgeschnitten
  • The Crucifix Killer (Robert Hunter, #1)
  • The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)
  • 14 (Taylor Jackson, #2)
  • Whispers of the Dead (David Hunter, #3)
  • Todesfrist (Maarten S. Sneijder, #1)
  • Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1)
  • Die Puppenmacherin
  • Das Skript
  • Retribution (C.J. Townsend #1)
  • Schnitt
Cody McFadyen is an international bestselling author of six thrillers. Five of those thrillers are centered around FBI special agent Smoky Barrett, who hunts serial killers. Book number 5 of the series was published in Germany with no English translation. In 2011 his stand alone thriller Der Menschenmacher was published in Germany, again with no English translation. Since his last U.S. publication ...more
More about Cody McFadyen...

Smoky Barrett (5 books)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barret, #3)
  • Abandoned (Smoky Barrett #4)
  • Die Stille vor dem Tod (Smoky Barrett, #5)

“She doesn't speak, and I say nothing more. We just stare at each other, letting the tears roll down our cheeks. That's what tears are for, after all. A way for the soul to bleed.” 30 likes
“This is the thing, I think often, that never occurs to you when you consider what it would be like to lose someone you love. That you would miss not just the flowers and kisses, but the totality of the experience. You miss the failures and little evils with as much desperation as you miss being held in the middle of the night. I wish he were here now, and I was kissing him. I wish he were here now, and I was betraying him. Either would be fine, so fine, as long as he was here.” 3 likes