Start by marking “Das Fräulein von Scuderi” as Want to Read:
Das Fräulein von Scuderi

Das Fräulein von Scuderi

3.41  ·  Rating Details ·  1,218 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Spät um Mitternacht - es mochte im Herbste des Jahres 1680 sein - wurde an dieses Haus hart und heftig angeschlagen, daß es im ganzen Flur laut widerhallte. - Baptiste, der in des Fräuleins kleinem Haushalt Koch, Bedienten und Türsteher zugleich vorstellte, war mit Erlaubnis seiner Herrschaft über Land gegangen zur Hochzeit seiner Schwester, und so kam es, daß die Martiniè ...more
Published September 28th 1986 by Reclam (first published 1819)

To ask other readers questions about Das Fräulein von Scuderi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das Fräulein von Scuderi

Mel
I'd read Hoffna's the Devil's Elixirs before and liked it so was pleased to discover this in a charity shop. It was a wonderful story of murder set against the backdrop of the "affair of the poisons" in Paris. The atmosphere was very dark and claustrophobic. Everyone was paranoid and there was much fear of the police. The main character Mme de Scuderi was a great heroine, 73, sharp and compassionate, she was also a force to be reckoned with and even the King listened to her. The plot was interes ...more
The Book
Mar 26, 2013 The Book rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: europe, france
I wasn't expecting to enjoy this, but in fact I didn't want to put it down! This novella is a window into another world, where women faint because strange men burst into their houses, where a old lady can ask the King of France to influence a murder trial, and where extremely unlikely occurrences are apparently accepted without question. Great fun! I kind of want to be Mlle Scuderi!
Kersi
Oct 04, 2014 Kersi rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-german
actually it wasn't that bad! the story is quite interesting and it reminds me a bit of 'the perfume' by patrick süskind!
Czarny Pies
Aug 11, 2015 Czarny Pies rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone. Hoffman has an enormoums presence in our culture.
Shelves: german-lit
One might want to read Das Fräulein von Scuderi either because it is a very solid work by the great master of Fantastic literature E.T.A. Hoffman or because in the view of many it is the first work of European detective fiction having been published in 1819 some 25 years become Edgar Allen Poe's "Purloined Letter."
There is absolutely no question that Das Fräulein von Scuderi is a much better detective story than the "Purloined Lletter" which is nothing more than a fable demonstrating that logic
Nadine
Oct 05, 2015 Nadine rated it liked it
Yeah I actually don't want to say much about it. the story was okay, nothing outstanding. It didn't blow my mind and the story didn't catch me at all, so I didn't even bother trying to guess who the murderer is because I did not really care. But it wasn't like hated reading it, it was just, well, okay.
Diep
Sep 28, 2015 Diep rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you for the torture, school.
Raphael Lindtburgh
Feb 17, 2017 Raphael Lindtburgh rated it really liked it
Zuerst finde ich es persönlich schön, dass das Buch genau zu einer Zeit spielt, die in einem meiner absoluten Lieblingsromane angerissen wird. Das Schweigen des Lichtes von Niel Flemming, das ebenfalls in Paris spielt. Aber nun zu Das Fräulein von Scuderi.

Das Buch gefiel mir zunächst einmal sehr, weil es eine Erzählung ist, die sich zum Schluss unerwartet auflöst. Madame Scuderi, eine Schriftstellerin bemüht sich um die Aufklärung einer mysteriösen Mordserie in Paris. Die Vorfälle werden zunächs
Heidi Cephus
Jan 05, 2017 Heidi Cephus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging and quick read. The editing on this version was a little spotty.
Marsha
Jan 02, 2016 Marsha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was first introduced to ETA Hoffmann through the opera Les Contes de Hoffmann (really awesome opera). When I found out that the opera wad based of the storiees of an author I looked more into his works and found this gem. This was a charming and simple book. I would have loved to had read this book in English literature class in high school. I think it would have gone great with any of the Edgar Allan Poe stories and other literature we had to read. The language, characters and plot were very ...more
Flavia
I had to read this for school and to be honest it was quite good. I mean it is definetely not my prefered genre or time period. But it actually is quite a good book.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Das Buch ist die Literatur für die Q3 in Berlin und muss daher von jedem Berliner Schüler des 3. Semesters gelesen werden und somit auch von mir.
Um ganz ehrlich zu sein lese ich Bücher für die Schule sehr selten tatsächlich komplett. Dieses Buch habe ich
Panagiotis
Το έχω ξαναπεί και αλλού, έχω πάθος με αυτή την εποχή και όχι τόσο για την επίσημη ιστορία αλλά για τα πρόσωπα που είναι άγνωστα στο ευρύ κοινό αλλά έπαιξαν ρόλο στην εποχή τους και θεωρήθηκαν στυλοβάτες της γαλλικής αναγέννησης.Ένα από αυτά τα πρόσωπα ήταν και η πρωταγωνίστρια του βιβλίου.
Το βιβλίο σαν πλοκή δε λέει και πολλά πράγματα παραλείπει δε πολλά κουτσομπολιά της εποχής που αναφέρονται στα πρόσωπα, που ρίχνουν φως στην υπόθεση και θα μπορούσαν να σε βάλουν στο πνεύμα για αυτό έκανα κάτι
Jen
Jul 13, 2014 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-classics
Mademoiselle de Scuderi is the exciting tale of a crime wave in 1680 Paris. A gang of violent thieves are robbing jewelry all over the city. A special police force is set up to catch them, but it isn't until the authoress Mademoiselle de Scuderi tries to prove the prime suspect's innocence that the truth comes out.

I sought it out after I read that it was one of the earliest examples of crime fiction, and an influence on future detective fiction. Mademoiselle doesn't do much detecting, but I can
Stfrnz
Dec 22, 2015 Stfrnz rated it liked it
This was just way better than The Golden Pot. Hoffmann has a kind of rushing style, the story is quite complex but he tells it quite shortly, and I still had the feeling the imagery was detailed enough. The point is that you can hardly get bored of it, things just happen so fast that it always stays interesting. At the end it's an enjoyable crime/mystery story, not outstanding in the genre but definitely an easier one.
Elisa
May 08, 2016 Elisa rated it liked it
Een beetje oubollig qua taalgebruik (de vertaling die ik las dateert immers al van 1962), maar het is best wel een leuke en spannende "whodunit" avant la lettre... En er zit bovendien een pak historisch correcte info in verweven. Voor wie het boek nog op een of ander zolderkamertje ontdekt, zeker een aanrader.
Thegurkenkaiser
May 16, 2012 Thegurkenkaiser rated it liked it
hat wohl edgar allan poe modellgestanden: straight runter erzählter plot, spannende konstruktion, einigermaßen brutal. nein, ist eine gute geschichte. aber e.a.p.s mischung aus spannung und ironischer distanz erreicht Hoffmann nicht ganz.

am ende franst die plotkonstruktion irgendwie aus und es wird unglaubwürdig. schade :(
Saskia
Mar 23, 2016 Saskia rated it really liked it
Ehrlich gesagt verblüfen mich die guten Plot-Twists. Bei Büchern, die so alt sind (200Jahre) würde man denken sie sind voll vom königlichen Hof, romantischen Geschwätz und Jane Austen-Herzschmerz - So einen guten Krimi habe ich kaum erwartet und bin sehr positiv überrascht!
belisa
Mar 05, 2016 belisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
sıkıcıydı, zor okudum, kendi zamanı için ilginç olabilir tabi... yine de umudumu kesmedim henüz, bütün kitaplarını topladığım düşünülürse, umudu kesersem bana yazık olur...
Thomas
Εξαιρετικη γραφη!!! Σιγουρα πιο ζωντανος απο πολλους συγγραφεις φαντασιας και μυστηριου που εχω διαβασει εως τωρα!!!!!
April
Feb 28, 2012 April rated it really liked it
Quick read with a satisfying plot. While not quite as action-packed as modern crime novels, it's still a page-turner.
Neer
Interesting tale of theft and murder set in the reign of Louis XIV.

More here:

Bookgirl06
Sep 26, 2014 Bookgirl06 rated it it was ok
Sprache und Stil sehr gewöhnungsbedürftig, nicht so einfach zu lesen;
Geschichte war ganz in Ordnung
Lisa
Wenn man sich reingelesen hat, ganz gut zu verstehen und auch recht spannend. Es gibt schlechtere Schullektüre.
Dave Morris
The first detective story in Western literature? In a sense, perhaps. You may not be vexed very long by the problem the authorities must solve, but you may enjoy the brisk, vivid style.
Mehmet Cilenger
Sep 11, 2016 Mehmet Cilenger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Scuderi, tuhaf bir huzursuzlukla içinin sıkıldığını hissediyordu." Hoffmann, bu yapıtıyla, hislerimizin her şeye rağmen avukatlığını sahneliyor.
DasLischenPischen
May 24, 2013 DasLischenPischen rated it did not like it
schlechtestes buch, das ich jemals lesen musste. im rahmen des deutschunterrichtes in der jahrgangsstufe 9. ich konte mich nichteinaml dazu bewegen, es zu ende zu lesen.
Giulia Gursch
Giulia Gursch rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2014
Misterreads
Misterreads rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2016
Dunja
Dunja rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Eva
Eva rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2013
Lucina
Lucina rated it liked it
May 23, 2011
  • Peter Schlemihls wundersame Geschichte
  • Unterm Birnbaum
  • Pole Poppenspäler
  • The Magic Flute (Die Zauberflote) in Full Score
Ernst Theodor Wilhelm Hoffmann, better known by his pen name E. T. A. Hoffmann (Ernst Theodor Amadeus Hoffmann), was a German Romantic author of fantasy and horror, a jurist, composer, music critic, draftsman and caricaturist. His stories form the basis of Jacques Offenbach's famous opera The Tales of Hoffmann, in which Hoffman appears (heavily fictionalized) as the hero. He is also the author of ...more
More about E.T.A. Hoffmann...