Start by marking “Die Wolke (SZ Junge Bibliothek, #11)” as Want to Read:
Die Wolke (SZ Junge Bibliothek, #11)

Die Wolke (SZ Junge Bibliothek, #11)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,154 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Als plötzlich im Unterricht die Sirene losgeht, glaubt die 15-jährige Janna zunächst an einen Probealarm. Doch schon bald wird klar, dass die Lage ernst ist, denn das nahe gelegene Atomkraftwerk meldet einen schweren Unfall. Ehe sich Janna versieht, befindet sie sich auf der Flucht vor der radioaktiven „Wolke“, auf der sie nicht nur ihre Familie verliert, sondern bald selb ...more
Published November 2005 by Süddeutsche Zeitung Bibliothek (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Die Wolke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die Wolke

Was denkt die Maus am Donnerstag? 121 Gedichte für Kinder by Josef GuggenmosDie Mumins. Eine Drollige Gesellschaft by Tove JanssonPünktchen und Anton by Erich KästnerMit Jakob wurde alles anders by Kirsten BoieDas war der Hirbel by Peter Härtling
SZ Junge Bibliothek
47th out of 50 books — 3 voters
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes SaavedraThe Shipping News by Annie ProulxClouds of Witness by Dorothy L. SayersDeath in the Clouds by Agatha ChristieThe Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Clouds
84th out of 97 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

oliviasbooks
Mar 12, 2011 oliviasbooks rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody, who is living in a country that uses nuclear power plants
One of the most shocking stories I've ever read. Because the scenario is so real and so possible.

The two most horrible scenes are when the heroine has to bury her brother on the roadside and when mass panic errupts at the train station and she involuntary lets go of the little kids she was supposed to supervise while their mother tried to barter for tickets. You know that they are lost and will get trampled. I cannot imagine any realistic book that has effected me in the same way. I never, ever
Miss Bookiverse
Kurz und knapp
Ein schonungsloses, intensives Buch über ein wichtiges Thema. Man merkt dem Roman sein Alter von über 20 Jahren kaum an und sollte sich davon erst recht nicht abschrecken lassen. Nichts für schöne Momente und zarte Nerven!

Lang und breit
Die Wolke ist eine schockierende, aufwühlende Geschichte, die keinen Schicksalsschlag auslässt. Mit Janna-Berta und ihrem kleinen Bruder Uli zusammen habe ich mich auf die Flucht vor der giftigen Wolke, die durch den Unfall in einem Atomkraftwerk ent
Liz_mo
Required reading for everyone who still thinks that nuclear energy is a good thing!
Told from a teenagers (the protagonist is about 12) POV this is a good read for all ages. Very Realistic(!), well written it is not an easy read. But one that'll stay with you for quite some time!

What would happen if the big nuclear reactor in the middle of Germany had a fallout?
Bianca
Ever since I read this book, I am terrified. If what happened in Fukushima hasn’t opened your eyes yet, this book will. It was published in 1988, not long after Tschernobyl happened, and according to my boyfriend, pupils were forced to read this in school in 6th grade (12-14 year old kids). Don’t get me wrong, it’s an important topic to cover in school, but I am not sure I would have had the stomach for this kind of thing with just 12 years.

"Die sagen dauernd was von einer Wolke", berichtete Uli
Tyska
I read this book many years ago for school and couldn't for the life of me remember how it ended, which is why I've wanted to re-read it for a long time. I finally read it again and fully understand now why I didn't remember the ending. The first couple of chapters are action-filled and scary, but as soon as the catastrophe is over, nothing else happens. It gets really, really boring, although never quite as boring as the strange writing style. Nobody in the entire world talks as old-fashioned a ...more
Jimin
I could have a chance to read this book by my friend recommend me. Because the title of this book, Die Wolke, was kind of creepy so i was nervous and excited.

The story of this book is kind of sad at least to me... It is about breakdown of a nuclear power station in Germany.First, Janna's familiy were going to their grandmother's home because they got summer vacation. But a nuclear fall to Germany, even it falls from far away but its power was still so strong. I was sad, becuase middle of this b
Ali
ژانر کتاب؛ رمان نوجوانانه هستش و در مورد يه فاجعهي اتمي هستش كه در راكتور يكي از نيروگاههاي اتمي آلمان رخ ميده. شکر خدا؛ کتاب مملو از بدبختی و فاجعه هستش. به گمونم؛ اگر مرحوم مغفور جنتمكان خلدآشيان صمد بهرنگي؛ آن سيبيلوي چپ يا چپ سيبيلو؛ آن صاحبنظر در امور تربيتي اطفال و غيره؛ آن متمايل به فدائيان زنده بود؛ اين كتاب رو تقديس ميكرد؛ آخر صمدجان معتقد بودند كه ادبيات كودك نباس تخيلي و شيرين باشه و كودك بدبخت حتما باس با بدبختيها و مصيبتهاي جامعه آشنا بشه!. كما اينكه بيشتر قهرمانان داستاناش هم از نظ ...more
Theresa
This Book is one of the most touching stories I have ever read. Yes, it is in German!! I really cried when Janna’s Brother is driven over by a car. You can feel the rush when the people push and yank themselves free to catch the train...and you can feel her heart race when she is standing in the pouring rain. Lost and insecure, she is homeless, lost her family and is diseased by the most dangerous thing, radioactive rays.

I am not going to give away too much, but this is a must-read. It is based
Andre
Deutsche Rezension:
Dies war ein recht gutes Buch und eine der wenigen guten Geschichten für junge Erwachsene welche ich bisher gelesen haben, wenn auch das Ende nach meinen Geschmack etwas zu kurz war. Aber vielleicht sollte das auch so sein.
Nun, man konnte sicn mit dne Figuren identifizieren und ich fand mich tatsächlich interessiert an ihrem Schicksal, besonders bei der Hauptfigur. Ich denke ihre Reaktionen und die der Leute um sie(view spoiler)
Jane
Die Wolke ist ein absolut deprimierendes Buch. Wenn man gerade mal zu gute Laune hat und etwas daran ändern möchte, dann empfehle ich, dieses Buch zu lesen. Ich verspreche, dass man danach emotional komplett am Tiefpunkt ist.

Das Thema, welches Die Wolke auf absolut schonungslose Weise anspricht, ist, dass der Mensch Atomkraft nicht kontrollieren kann, sie unbeherrschbar, gefährlich, ja sogar tödlich ist. Ein sehr schönes Thema und ich stimme der Autorin in der Hinsicht auch aus vollem Herzen zu.
LauraW
I listened to this in German. I am not a native German speaker, so I probably missed some of the words, but I understood the reader pretty well.

The story is not a pleasant one. It follows the fate of a 14 year old girl after a large nuclear accident in Germany. The book was originally published in 1990, well before the Japanese earthquake and the resulting nuclear accident at Fukushima, but after the nuclear accident at Chernobyl.

It is obvious that the author is trying to engender fear of atom
Brina
Janna-Berta sitzt nichtsahnend in der Schule, als plötzlich ein Alarm ausgelöst wird, der in Verbindung mit dem Atomkraftwerk Grafenrheinfeld steht. Die Schüler flüchten aus der Schule und sollen sich mit ihren Familien in Sicherheit bringen, was in Janna-Bertas Fall jedoch schwieriger als gedacht ist. Ihre Familie ist in Schweinfurt und Janna-Berta ist mit ihrem kleinen Bruder Uli auf sich allein gestellt. Ohne Auto oder viel Geld versuchen sie auf Fahrrädern aus Schlitz zu fliehen.
Während der
Lara Harmon
A crushing YA SF novel by the prolific, award-winning author Gudrun Pausewang, Die Wolke does not mess around. It is an anti-nuclear-power narrative, and it never pretends it isn’t.

Fourteen-year-old Janna-Berta’s parents and youngest brother are out of town, in Schweinfurt, and she’s been left in charge of her younger brother Uli. When alarms interrupt a normal school day and the teachers order everyone to get home as fast as they can, Janna-Berta learns what happened as she makes her way back t
Michi
As a young child I loved Gudrun Pausewang's writing. She deals with very difficult topics, in this case the potential danger of nuclear power, and the story has a certain post-apocalyptic flair that makes it both shocking and captivating. Unfortunately, her writing style is very moralistic at times and a little dumbed-down, which has stopped me from re-reading this book recently.
Patricia
Ein deprimierendes, schockierendes und bedrückendes Buch, das zum Nachdenken anregt und sehr realitätsnah geschrieben ist.
Habe nach den ersten Kapiteln überlegt, ob ich es überhaupt ganz lesen werde, da so schreckliche Dinge geschehen und es mir zunächst schwer gefallen ist, über im Buch betroffene Dörfer, Ortschaften und Städte zu lesen, die einem aus der eigenen Kindheit und Heimat nicht unbekannt sind. Ich habe mich dann aber doch dazu entschieden, das Buch zu beenden und bereue es nicht.
Das
Lindsey
Cantrix
Für mich klärt das Buch nicht sachlich auf. Es sucht keinen Dialog und provoziert nur unnütz. Obwohl ich selbst Gegnerin von Atomkraft bin, fühle ich mich schnell in die Rolle hineinversetzt, Atomkraftbefürworter zu verteidigen. Woran das genau liegt, weiß ich nicht. Mir wäre es lieber, würden solche Bücher diplomatischer an solche Themen herangehen - was nicht bedeutet, dass sie überhaupt nicht provozieren sollen. Hier wurde meinem Empfinden nach nicht das richtige Maß getroffen. Inwieweit dies ...more
Anuschka
Verstörende und traurige Geschichte, die zum Nachdenken anregt.
Larissa
I just love that book.
Tom
While the message of this book is a good one I couldn't really get into this novel. I didn't really feel for the characters or the distress they went through, this may be more down to the fact that the translation was a bit clunky than the original, I may have found more in this when I was younger but it did feel like a bit of a chore to get through.
Elena. (theresmiling)
Every person on this planet should read this book.
B.
Ich weiß nicht zum wievielten Mal ich dieses Buch jetzt gelesen habe. Aber jedes Mal kommt bei mir wieder die große Wut hoch. Obwohl das Buch nur wenige Jahre nach Tschernobyl spielt, ist es noch genauso aktuell wie es damals war. Die Möglichkeit eines Super GAUs gibt es heute immer noch und ich bin mir mehr als sicher, dass das Buch nicht mal annähernd an das rankommt, was dann wirklich geschehen wird. Ein Buch, was man unbedingt gelesen haben sollte! Eine eindringliche Warnung gegen die Atomkr ...more
Moving, at times harrowing accounts of what life might be like for a young girl of 14 if "Tschernobyl" happened in Germany, a couple of years later.
Very well written, by one of my favourite german authors from childhood, though this book escaped me then.
It's easy to read, and yet isn't.
Patricia BookExhibitionism
Dec 12, 2011 Patricia BookExhibitionism added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patricia by: My German Teacher *sigh*
Shelves: age_young-adult
Again, no rating. It's simply been too long since I read this piece of fiction. I know that it felt intense back then and that I wasn't able to stop thinking about the situation there.

I think I read it in 2005 (when I was ~12 years old), but I'm not sure.
Juliette Jimeno
I was very young when I read it and by the time it was the best book I had ever touched with my children eyes but, it made me see the world with adult eyes for the first time.

Today I remembered Janna Berta, I hope it is not a premonition.
Aurora  Fitzrovia
Das Hörspiel ist nicht schlecht gemacht - nur leider viel zu kurz. Ich hatte das Gefühl, das viel Wichtiges aus dem Roman nicht übernommen wurden und besonders zum Ende hin ging vieles ziemlich schnell...
Michelle
... I read the English version of this entitled: Fall Out. But it's the same book, so... Anyway, I really, really liked this book. This book is an excellent example of why nuclear power is not an option.
viktoria
ein Buch das jeder lesen sollte. es wird nicht zu lang gezogen und doch wird alles angesprochen was angesprochen werden muss. durch die aktuelle situation in Japan ist es noch wichtiger.
Babsi Proszner
wirklich schockierende Geschichte!!
aber mit dem Schreibstil konnte ich mich bis zum Schluss nicht anfreunden... deshalb nur zwei Sterne von mir
  • Die rote Zora und ihre Bande
  • Jan, mein Freund
  • Die Kinder aus Bullerbü (Bullerbü, #1-3)
  • Maikäfer, flieg!
  • The Little Ghost
  • Es wird keine Helden geben
  • The Night of Wishes
  • Der Trotzkopf
  • Friedrich
  • Biggles The Camels Are Coming
  • The Ghost Drum (Ghost World, #1)
  • With Clive in India
  • Whispers in the Graveyard
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • There Will Be Wolves
  • Jolanda, la figlia del Corsaro Nero
  • Dougy
Gudrun Pausewang is a German writer for children and teens. She is also noted in science fiction for Young-Adult novels like The Last Children of Schewenborn.

Gudrun Pausewang was born in Eastern Bohemia of German ancestry and after World War II her family settled in the former West Germany. She later became a teacher and taught in Germany's foreign school services in South America. She has won sev
More about Gudrun Pausewang...
Die letzten Kinder von Schewenborn The Final Journey Traitor Dark Hours Der Schlund