Start by marking “Mastodonia” as Want to Read:
Mastodonia

Mastodonia

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  348 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
"The time trails led him to mastodons, money and the most amazing mystery of all: time."
Published as Catface in the UK. A cat-faced alien stranded in drift-free Wisconsin befriends locals and time-engineers portals into prehistoric epochs, where they establish a new nation: Mastodonia
Mass Market Paperback, 233 pages
Published September 12th 1978 by Del Rey Books (NY) (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Mastodonia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mastodonia

Denis
Mar 16, 2014 Denis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcover, b-c
A charming Simak novel. Light reading. Though published in 1978, it felt as if it was written in the fifties... Oh, that's probably because it is an expansion of a shorter work Simak wrote in 1955 entitled "Project Mastodon" (which can be read at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22216). This expanded version is actually a total rewrite but the spirit and style is still intact.

It is, for the most part, a story that explores all the commercial and social possibilities that come with the discovery
Michael Hall
Nov 15, 2012 Michael Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming wonderful tale of time travel. Simak's characters are always so engaging and full of life, it makes the simplest of them lovable and almost tangible -- even the strange entity that is Catface. The atmosphere of the storytelling is a bit simple yet is still one of wonder and of surprise. Despite the slight hint of greed, the bureacratic stubbornness of government, and the nonsense of religion, the issue of social responsibility that arises doesn't detract from the adventure. In all it' ...more
Ron Rayborne
Nov 19, 2014 Ron Rayborne rated it really liked it
I like this book because it opened my mind (well it was already opened before that) to the idea of what the earth was like before us. These days there are plenty of books and videos discussing Life After Man, but how many to before? And in this book there is one paragraph that is my favorite, the opening paragraph in chapter 21:

"It was spring in Mastodonia and everything was beautiful. The mobile home stood on top of a little ridge no more than a half mile or so from where the time road brought
Cormacjosh
May 14, 2014 Cormacjosh rated it it was ok
My father purchased a copy of this book for me when it was brand new in 1978, and I was five. I tried to read it then, but it was far, far above my head and I put it down. I read it entirely at the age of 12 in 1985, and enjoyed it then. The fact that Mastodonia was once a Science Fiction Book Club main selection inspired me to join the SFBC, a club to which I still belong, 26 years later.

Having lost my original copy in a house fire years ago, I obtained another copy via the internet for one cen
Greg Curtis
Jul 30, 2011 Greg Curtis rated it it was amazing
A lovely, gentle journey, well told and as with all of his books, with a love for his characters. Clifford Simak has a very easy writing style, which makes all of his works simply fly along as you read them, and he brings a real warmth to sci fi.
Adrik
Jun 30, 2014 Adrik rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Uma ideia interessante, do Cheshire Cat alienígena q só de onda organiza uns wormholes temporais pro casal de quase arqueólogos.
(view spoiler)
Станислав Атанасов
Една прекрасна книга повдигаща много въпроси ... и една от първите не книги игри, които прочетох преди много много време.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
May 17, 2013 tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
review of
Clifford D. Simak's Mastodonia
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - May 17, 2013

I think this is the 1st Simak novel I've read, maybe I've read some short stories. It seems that he always struck me somehow as a 'generic' SF writer - not necessarily such a 'bad' thing, I'd rather read a 'generic' SF writer than a generic horror writer anyday. Nonetheless, something about his work, maybe the titles, put me off.

HOWEVER, reading this, I enjoyed it. At 1st, he seemed like a California SF writer
Jun 16, 2015 John rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
This novel was almost an exercise in time travel itself. Setting aside the folksy small town vibe and the weird treatment of a woman in business, the book struck me as by turns grimly realist, conservative, and cynical. The premise is whimsical--two disaffected archaeologists meet an alien who can build roads through time--but it doesn't take long before business and politics shove the whimsy aside.
Dave Bratby
Jul 03, 2015 Dave Bratby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Simak, and this story was perhaps one of his best. Its time travel, with first contact, and a touch of Jurassic Park thrown in for good measure. Sure, time travel always has gaping plot holes, but i just love a good old fashioned Sci-Fi yarn. One day they [Hollywood] should do justice this this story. Four stars. If you like the masters, then put this on your list.
May 07, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1979 grade B+
2005 grade A-
Tome Addiction
Apr 15, 2015 Tome Addiction rated it it was amazing
Shelves: time-travel
I really enjoyed this book, its all about a man who buys an old farm house and discovers a suspicious artifact and geological formation. This starts off the beginning of the book that leads to time-travel, political implications of controlling time windows, the business of time tourism, and a philosophical question what if we knew the truth about certain periods of the Earths history.

Another favorite that I have on my very limited book shelf in my home office.
Randy
Dec 30, 2009 Randy rated it it was ok
A distant ancestor to Jurassic Park. Interesting, though dated, sci fi. Gets a half-hearted recommendation from me--you could do worse. It'll kill a plane trip without killing brain cells. No, this isn't the most cogent review, but I just can't bring myself to spend a ton of time on it. That should tell you everything you need to know.
Evan
Nov 07, 2008 Evan rated it it was ok
Though imperfect and dated, this book has charm: great atmospheric descriptions and an unforgettable character in Catface. True to classic SF, it believes in its own ridiculous big ideas strongly enough to summon fascination in the reader.
João Sousa
Apr 05, 2016 João Sousa rated it liked it
Shelves: argonauta
It is obvious that the author made a respectable sociological effort. Characters are quite strong and although this is not a masterpiece, there is enough substance here for "Mastodonia" to deserve the attention of all book lovers.
Fredrick Danysh
Nov 21, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
An old girlfriend steps out of Asa's past along with his dog. Asa starts trips in time as the woman starts thinking of a time travel business but soon problems arise as governments become involved.
Nicole
Mar 11, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Big game hunting for the wealthy. They exploit the past for safari expeditions with full governmental sanctions. Once more Simak posses questions of social responsibility.
Devero
Aug 10, 2013 Devero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Qualsiasi romanzo di C.D.Simak vale la pena. Questo anche di più. L'autore qui da fondo alla sua fantasia e passione per il Miocene ed i viaggi nel tempo.
Bargle
Good story idea, but I didn't find the way it unfolded believeable.
Erik Graff
Feb 22, 2012 Erik Graff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Simak fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
This is a comic science fiction novel which I didn't find very funny.
colleen
None
Nov 29, 2012 None added it
False
ben darker
ben darker marked it as to-read
Tabris
Tabris marked it as to-read
Ken08002
Ken08002 rated it liked it
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Del
Del rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Denis Klementjev
Denis Klementjev is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2016
Gordon
Gordon rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
  • Le catene di Eymerich
  • The Second Trip
  • Fun with Your New Head
  • The Alternate Asimovs
  • Poltergeist
  • Eclipse (A Song Called Youth, #1)
  • The Shield of Time (Time Patrol, #5)
  • Anne McCaffrey Gift Pack: Crystal Singer & Killashandra
  • Il dolore perfetto
  • Amicizia
  • The Mind Cage
  • Fires of Nuala
  • Code Blue: Emergency! (Sector General, #7)
  • Oaths and Miracles
"He was honored by fans with three Hugo awards and by colleagues with one Nebula award and was named the third Grand Master by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) in 1977." (Wikipedia)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford...
More about Clifford D. Simak...