Start by marking “The Queen of Sinister (Dark Age, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Queen of Sinister (Dark Age, #2)

The Queen of Sinister (Dark Age #2)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A new Dark Age has falled across Britain; gods and monsters walk the land. In this new time, myth and legend has become realtity; nothing is quite as it seems.

The plague came without warning. Nothing could stop its progress: not medicines, not prayer. The first sign of the disease is black spots at the base of the fingers; an agonising death quickly follows. But this is no
Published April 14th 2005 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about The Queen of Sinister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen of Sinister

Stefan
The Queen of Sinister, the middle book in Mark Chadbourn's DARK AGE trilogy, introduces a different set of characters from book 1, The Devil in Green. This is a bit surprising, because the author's earlier AGE OF MISRULE trilogy, which describes the events leading up to the start of the DARK AGE books, focuses on the same characters throughout all three books. So, rather than offering a continuing story, The Queen of Sinister feels completely separate from The Devil in Green: it's set in the sam ...more
Tristan
I am not alone in my statement: This one is not Chadbourn at his best.
I read it mostly because I would miss out stuff in the third book.

don't get me wrong, it introduced us to some really nice and wonderful concepts. Caitlin is a broken woman. she has more people in her head, one of which turns out very important (I shall not spoil it)
the otherworld is great. I really liked the parts where they'd be there.

the ending was a let down though.
all in all, I can't say this was a very enjoyable read. It
Annmarie
This is one of those simple fantasy books that would probably be enjoyed more if one were a teenager and less apt to be annoyed by the author's insertion of his little pieces of boring philosophy about mankind and heroes vs evildoers into the book. Repetitive insertion, too. I gave up and skim read to the end as the story just wouldn't grab me, much as I like a good dystopian tale. Everyone's dying from mystery plague after magic and gods have somehow risen and messed with the world (detailed in ...more
Brogzkiez
Jul 01, 2013 Brogzkiez marked it as to-read
it really bugs me to see the negative comments. sayin this book has no connection to the 1st series. they have obviously not read the kindom of the serpent series at all, which is the last of all three..once you have read all nine books maybe people will appriciate this rare and powerfull story.. i myself think mark chadbourn is an amazing writer, who has reseached his work very thorourly. i personaly like the "boring", spiritual, philisophical speals mark writes..it realy has nothing to do with ...more
Suburbangardener
Book 2 in the "Dark Age" trilogy is a real let down after the incredible "The Devil in Green." I hope the author kicks it back up a notch in the final book of this trilogy. "The Queen of Sinister" is the weakest book in the "Age of Misrule" series. Most of the characters weren't likeable (the only one I did like was a side character, Thackeray, who I hope shows up in "The Hounds of Avalon"), and the plot wasn't as gripping as the others. Kind of a disappointment there.
Joelle
More of the same from Chadbourn. I still enjoyed it but I did feel at times I was being preached at (why do characters always make the same points about past civilisation vs future rebuild, usually several times per book)[return]I did find it a bit more jumbled between several characters and plots, and it did leave a lot of loose ends, which might be tied later or not.
Veronica Sanche
I was very disappointed with the book as it held much promise when I started. I found the characters to be unlikeable and the events they became involved with unbelieveable even for a fantasy. There were too many loose ends at the end and I have yet to figure out the title's relevance to the story.
Catherine
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did, but once I got into the "meat" of the story, I couldn't put it down. Chadbourn has a deft way of weaving a story, and the descriptions of the various characters really brought them to life for me. I'm definitely looking forward to reading his other work.
Nicholas VanTilburg
Mark Chadbourn weaves a tale of mythic proportions by mixing the tales from many civilizations in an epic story that spans many books. Once again, with The Queen of Sinister, he has done an amazing job keeping you guessing till the very end.
Espen
Mark Chadbourn is perhaps one of the author's I've read that displays such consistent quality in everything he writes. Once more, a well-written book, but with the same downsides as previous books.
Christiana Demetriou
Left this book dusted in my book shelve for over 2 years before i decided to read. If you like fairy tails with a thriller twist you are spot on.
David
Fantastic!
bluetyson
isbn,original
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Sam Carpenter
Sam Carpenter marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Erin defilippi
Erin defilippi is currently reading it
Nov 30, 2014
Harlee Keinzley
Harlee Keinzley marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Rollin Baker
Rollin Baker marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Nick Guido
Nick Guido marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Chibs
Chibs marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
  • The Office of Shadow
  • Ares Express
  • Mortality Bridge
  • Shadowheart (Legends of the Raven, #2)
  • The Curse of Four (Black London, #4.5)
  • Ghosts of War (The Ghost, #2)
  • Haven (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #4)
  • Blue and Gold
  • Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)
  • Hamlet's Father
  • The Wolf Age (Morlock Ambrosius, #3)
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • Phases of Gravity
  • Twilight Forever Rising
  • City of Ruins (Diving Universe, #2)
  • Wolfsangel
  • The Grin of the Dark
  • The Barsoom Project (Dream Park, #2)
A two-time winner of the prestigious British Fantasy Award, Mark has published his epic, imaginative novels in many countries around the world. He grew up in the mining community of the English Midlands, and was the first person in his family to go to university. After studying Economic History at Leeds, he became a successful journalist, writing for several of the UK's renowned national newspaper ...more
More about Mark Chadbourn...
World's End  (Age of Misrule #1) Darkest Hour (Age of Misrule, #2) Always Forever (Age of Misrule, #3) The Silver Skull (Swords of Albion, #1) The Devil in Green (Dark Age, #1)