Start by marking “The Queen of Sinister (Dark Age, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Queen of Sinister (Dark Age, #2)

The Queen of Sinister (Dark Age #2)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  252 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A new Dark Age has falled across Britain; gods and monsters walk the land. In this new time, myth and legend has become realtity; nothing is quite as it seems.

The plague came without warning. Nothing could stop its progress: not medicines, not prayer. The first sign of the disease is black spots at the base of the fingers; an agonising death quickly follows. But this is no
Published April 14th 2005 by Gollancz

To ask other readers questions about The Queen of Sinister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen of Sinister

Lel
Anyone who thinks fairies are lovely, sweet, kind creatures needs to stay as far away from this book as possible. The book continues from the first one in as much it is set in the same world, and in the same time period. Other than that it could almost be a stand a lone book.

After the fall, magic and gangs rule. Then, as if the world is not a hard enough place to live a plague hits the English countryside. It is quick, evil and brutal and the cure seems to be in the far land (the fairy world).
Dan Smyth
Feb 03, 2016 Dan Smyth rated it it was ok
A book that's more about the idea of Celtic Gods coming into our world than about something that happens within that background. Lots of pointless worldbuilding, as there is no real story. The main character is pretty much too weak to do anything of note, and relies on the gods to pull her out of a mess. Wouldn't suggest this one to readers that like fantasy. If you're into the old school science fiction books that just have people wandering around new worlds, you might enjoy this one though. My ...more
Stefan
Jun 14, 2010 Stefan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Queen of Sinister, the middle book in Mark Chadbourn's DARK AGE trilogy, introduces a different set of characters from book 1, The Devil in Green. This is a bit surprising, because the author's earlier AGE OF MISRULE trilogy, which describes the events leading up to the start of the DARK AGE books, focuses on the same characters throughout all three books. So, rather than offering a continuing story, The Queen of Sinister feels completely separate from The Devil in Green: it's set in the sam ...more
Tristan
Aug 04, 2015 Tristan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not alone in my statement: This one is not Chadbourn at his best.
I read it mostly because I would miss out stuff in the third book.

don't get me wrong, it introduced us to some really nice and wonderful concepts. Caitlin is a broken woman. she has more people in her head, one of which turns out very important (I shall not spoil it)
the otherworld is great. I really liked the parts where they'd be there.

the ending was a let down though.
all in all, I can't say this was a very enjoyable read. It
Rouelle
Oct 17, 2015 Rouelle rated it it was ok
I didn't know this was part of a series so I got lost in some chapters but this book - even though it was dragging 50% of the time - it still managed to hold my attention. It had its good moments but still... 50% "sad pages" is just too much for me to make it to 3-5 stars.
Annmarie
Jul 19, 2010 Annmarie rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, dystopian
This is one of those simple fantasy books that would probably be enjoyed more if one were a teenager and less apt to be annoyed by the author's insertion of his little pieces of boring philosophy about mankind and heroes vs evildoers into the book. Repetitive insertion, too. I gave up and skim read to the end as the story just wouldn't grab me, much as I like a good dystopian tale. Everyone's dying from mystery plague after magic and gods have somehow risen and messed with the world (detailed in ...more
Brogzkiez
Jul 01, 2013 Brogzkiez marked it as to-read
it really bugs me to see the negative comments. sayin this book has no connection to the 1st series. they have obviously not read the kindom of the serpent series at all, which is the last of all three..once you have read all nine books maybe people will appriciate this rare and powerfull story.. i myself think mark chadbourn is an amazing writer, who has reseached his work very thorourly. i personaly like the "boring", spiritual, philisophical speals mark writes..it realy has nothing to do with ...more
Cat Tobin
Jan 18, 2015 Cat Tobin rated it liked it
I loved the Age of Misrule trilogy by the same author, but the Dark Age trilogy isn't up to that standard. Still, this one felt more like a return to form than The Devil in Green was.
Suburbangardener
Aug 17, 2010 Suburbangardener rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Book 2 in the "Dark Age" trilogy is a real let down after the incredible "The Devil in Green." I hope the author kicks it back up a notch in the final book of this trilogy. "The Queen of Sinister" is the weakest book in the "Age of Misrule" series. Most of the characters weren't likeable (the only one I did like was a side character, Thackeray, who I hope shows up in "The Hounds of Avalon"), and the plot wasn't as gripping as the others. Kind of a disappointment there.
Joelle
Jan 10, 2009 Joelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of the same from Chadbourn. I still enjoyed it but I did feel at times I was being preached at (why do characters always make the same points about past civilisation vs future rebuild, usually several times per book)[return]I did find it a bit more jumbled between several characters and plots, and it did leave a lot of loose ends, which might be tied later or not.
Veronica
Mar 25, 2011 Veronica rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed with the book as it held much promise when I started. I found the characters to be unlikeable and the events they became involved with unbelieveable even for a fantasy. There were too many loose ends at the end and I have yet to figure out the title's relevance to the story.
Catherine
Apr 24, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did, but once I got into the "meat" of the story, I couldn't put it down. Chadbourn has a deft way of weaving a story, and the descriptions of the various characters really brought them to life for me. I'm definitely looking forward to reading his other work.
Nicholas VanTilburg
Aug 09, 2011 Nicholas VanTilburg rated it it was amazing
Mark Chadbourn weaves a tale of mythic proportions by mixing the tales from many civilizations in an epic story that spans many books. Once again, with The Queen of Sinister, he has done an amazing job keeping you guessing till the very end.
Connie
May 02, 2016 Connie rated it liked it
This book ended better than it began. I can't wait to read the Hounds of Avalon to see how this book and the one before it fit in with the first trilogy. The world Mark Chadbourn has created becomes richer and more complex the more I read.
Espen
Nov 21, 2008 Espen rated it liked it
Mark Chadbourn is perhaps one of the author's I've read that displays such consistent quality in everything he writes. Once more, a well-written book, but with the same downsides as previous books.
Christiana Demetriou
Sep 11, 2011 Christiana Demetriou rated it really liked it
Left this book dusted in my book shelve for over 2 years before i decided to read. If you like fairy tails with a thriller twist you are spot on.
David
Jun 05, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!
bluetyson
isbn,original
Kathi Holliman
Kathi Holliman marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Simon
Simon added it
May 16, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
DJ
DJ rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Vaw
Vaw marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Jack Traveller
Jack Traveller rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2016
Kimberly Lafayette
Kimberly Lafayette marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
AMC
AMC added it
Mar 19, 2016
Vicky Bell
Vicky Bell rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
  • The Office of Shadow
  • Ares Express
  • The Curse of Four (Black London, #4.5)
  • Yours Truly, Jack The Ripper
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick Volume One: The King of the Elves
  • Mortality Bridge
  • Shadowheart (Legends of the Raven, #2)
  • Blue and Gold
  • Haven (A Trial of Blood & Steel, #4)
  • City of Ruins (Diving Universe, #2)
  • Ghosts of War (The Ghost, #2)
  • Hamlet's Father
  • Down to the Bone (Quantum Gravity #5)
  • The Wolf Age (Morlock Ambrosius, #3)
  • Twilight Forever Rising
  • Sword of Fire and Sea (The Chaos Knight, #1)
  • The Turtle Moves!: Discworld's Story Unauthorized
  • The Grin of the Dark
A two-time winner of the prestigious British Fantasy Award, Mark has published his epic, imaginative novels in many countries around the world. He grew up in the mining community of the English Midlands, and was the first person in his family to go to university. After studying Economic History at Leeds, he became a successful journalist, writing for several of the UK's renowned national newspaper ...more
More about Mark Chadbourn...

Dark Age (3 books)
  • The Devil in Green (Dark Age, #1)
  • The Hounds of Avalon (Dark Age, #3)

“Sex is the glue of relationships, Caitlin, and it's what life is all about. It's the opposite of death, of giving up, of getting swamped by... What's out there. See it as symbolic.” 0 likes
“Tell me about love when you've been with someone for years, cared for them when they're ill, put up with them when they're miserable or grumpy, taken the sharp side of their tongue and still come back. Tell me about love when you've acted quite appallingly, and the other person has still accepted you.” 0 likes