Start by marking “Who's Sorry Now? (Grace & Favor, #6)” as Want to Read:
Who's Sorry Now? (Grace & Favor, #6)

Who's Sorry Now? (Grace & Favor #6)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  387 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Sister and brother Lily and Robert Brewster may not have a penny to their names, but at least they're in good company––times couldn't be tougher in the Hudson River Valley during the Great Depression, and even the much–revered Chief of Police has lost his home. Their poor town has been stripped of its Post Office, too; now mail gets dumped off the trains steaming up the Hu ...more
Published October 31st 2006 by Avon (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Who's Sorry Now?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who's Sorry Now?

Peggy
A few years ago, I read every Jill Churchill book I could find from both the Grace and Favor series and the Jane Jeffry series. I enjoyed them all. So I was pleased to find this one at the library. I was very disappointed. I felt I was reading a child's fiction book that had yet to be edited. Sentences were short and choppy. At time dialogue exchanges seemed strained, forced and clipped--not how a real conversation would sound. The plot was many layered. I kept waiting to find all the events ti ...more
Connie
I have been a Grace & Favor fan from the series start, and was thrilled to see this new book on the shelves. That thrill didn't last. The series is supposed to be of a simpler time, but this story's dialogue is painfully simplistic while the plot is confused, disjointed, and a bit far-fetched. What was the significance of the skeleton under the bush?-I didn't see any. What part did Robert and Lily (the central figures of Grace and Favor) contribute to the conclusion of the story?-I saw none. ...more
Susan
I've heard that Jill Churchill is a really good writer, so I picked up this book, but I was disappointed. I can't even figure out what the title of the book has to do with the content. Most of the book was about Robert trying to get some postal boxes in the town--not really the most exciting thing I've ever read. They find a skeleton under the bushes in their yard, but that really has nothing to do with anything and is just the skeleton of some Indian girl who has been dead for many, many years. ...more
Anne Hawn Smith
This time the mystery centers on a German/American who seems to be targeted for some hate crimes. Robert and Lily are involved along with their good friend, the young Sheriff. Suddenly an out of luck railroad worker is killed just when Robert has gotten him a job sorting mail. There doesn't seem to be anyone around who would wish to do him harm. Eventually, after meeting a number of new characters, the murder is solved.

There are all these young marriageable characters, but none of them seem to b
Patti
This entry in Churchill's Grace & Favor series was disappointing to me. It barely included the main characters of the series, focusing instead on the local chief of police and his new deputy solving a murder, and an attempted murder. I read this series because of Lily Brewster and her brother Robert, but they've been featured less and less as the series went on. There is a new title scheduled for 2009, but I'm not sure I'll read it.
Marjorie
Another good story by Jill Churchill set during the Great Depression. Robert and Lily take almost any chance of earning money while helping their neighbor's. This time Robert takes it into his own hands to see that the mail is distributed properly. Since they lost their Post Office, it is usually dumped at the train station in town and everyone has to rummage through the bag to find their own mail. When Robert discovers some women discussing other people's mail and threatening to take a letter t ...more
Jim
As with her other series, her other story lines sometimes displaces the murder story line. The difference here is I like the characters in this series a lot more than the other series. Even though the series is based on a brother and sister, this book put them more in the background this time.

I'll probably read the next of this series, when it comes out.
Leslee
This is probably the most terrible book I have ever read. I honestly thought while I was listening (it was an audiobook) that this was actually a children's book because the writing was so lame. It's allegedly a "mystery" but 3/4 of the book is spent describing the process of getting mail boxes in a Depression era town in New York state. Ugh.
Ilona
After having finished this book, the only Jill Churchill I've ever read, I am astonished by the claim on its cover that she's an Agatha Award winner. Really? This book reads like it was written by a 12-year-old, and not a particularly bright one.

Characterization? Three-dimension they're not. It's a stretch to say the characters are two-dimensional, they're so poorly developed.

Plot? The threads of the mystery are ragged, and only just barely pulled together in the last pages, in an arbitrary and
M.
This was my first foray into the work of Jill Churchill, and likely will be my last.

Who's Sorry Now? is less a murder mystery than an attempt at a slice of life during the Great Depression. The main focus of this book is not either of the bodies that are discovered during the course of the novel, but whether or not the townsfolk in Brewster, New York can devise a means of distributing their mail after it arrives via train. No, really...think of those old movies where all the folks decide to put
Michelle
Jul 29, 2008 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs, cozy readers, depression era
Elaine
This was my first Jill Churchill book, chosen more or less at random from the library. It is the sixth in a series called the Grace and Favor Mysteries, featuring Robert and Lily Brewster. Robert and Lily are siblings, whose great-uncle left them a sizable fortune, with a few conditions. They stand to inherit everything after ten years, but in the meantime they must not leave their upstate New York town for more than two months at a time; they must live in the mansion known as Grace and Favor un ...more
Andrea
This is still an interesting series set in an interesting time. They aren't terribly deep books and honestly I read this one and #65 so close together I actually can't remember which plot is which. As the series has gone on, we are getting more and more detail about some of the other residents of Voorburg. Churchill has a deft hand at creating interesting and well-rounded characters in a few little details. There are moments in these books where a character that's only been in scenes here and th ...more
Karen
I liked the coziness of this book, but was a little to on sweetie side for me. I would have given it a 3 to maybe a 4 but the last 3 or so chapters just annoyed me so I was skipping thorough them and then it ended. No real hero or protagonist. Was thrown around to all the characters and the end the guy- who was suddenly made the hero was overboard on how author made the drama go. I am going to try another by this author in a different series and see how they are. I would read another of these if ...more
Patty
Set in the Depression, siblings, Lily and Robert Brewster are still living in Voorburg-on-Hudson trying to fulfill the stipulations from their uncle’s will. The town is shaken when a hate crime is quickly followed by an unrelated murder. The police have nothing to go on. In addition Robert is trying to reform the town’s mail delivery system and Lily has developed an interest in archeology.
While this book doesn’t really center on either Brewster, Robert is more involved than Lily. A nice addition
Diana Petty-stone
Wonderful fast paced cozy mystery. Love the series, hate that this was the last one!
Kathy
To answer the title question, I'm sorry. I gave up on the audiocassette version read by Susan Ericksen before the end of side one. I was tolerating (barely) the way she made Robert, a grown man, sound like a twelve-year old, but when the station master in a small Hudson River valley village not far from NYC suddenly started talking like a Down East wannabe, this Mainer had had enough. I remember liking the earlier books in this series when they first came out, so this was disappointing. If I com ...more
Denise
I love the Grace & Favor mysteries set in Depression Era USA. I just wish Jill Churchill would write more of this series not that I don't also like the Jane Jeffry series. The next Grace and Favor book Smoke Gets in Your Eyes LP is due out in August (2009). I look forward to reading it.
Dolly
Dec 11, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
This is another entertaining mystery in the Grace and Favor series. The mysteries are interesting, but somewhat secondary to the historical background and the development of the characters as they live day to day during the Great Depression. This story seemed to get a bit repetitive in parts, and at times I felt as if this were just another installment in a soap opera series rather than a story unto itself. But overall this book was a fairly quick and engaging read.
Awwwtrouble
I really like the characters and setting of the Grace and Favor series, and actually wish they weren't in the mystery genre - there's enough interesting there that it doesn't need the mystery hook. No idea why there hasn't been another book in so long. This one further expanded the world of Grace and Favor and set up several promising new story lines. But all in all it's a light, quick read. Wish there were more.
Suzanne
I enjoyed several of the Grace and Favor books several years ago and had forgotten about them. This one seemed a bit slapdash-- typos, incomplete sentences, and writing that gave the impression that the whole thing was rushed. But I do like the characters and would be willing to give them another try-- this one seemed to be setting the stage for potentially interesting opportunities to come.
Sandra
This is the first book in the "Grace and Favor" series by Jill Churchill and I was a bit disappointed. The "Jane Jeffry" books are superior, I think.

One example is that part of the story involves the discovery of a body on the Grace and Favor property; however,this played no part in the mystery and seemed to have no relevance in the story at all.
Jessica
I listened to this on c.d.

The beginning was nicely done, but they took a long time solving the crime. Now a days with the internet and electronics it would take only a short time.

The main characters make do with the parameters of a will and make the best of it by helping others in their village out.
Stephanie
I need to get over my compulsion to read all of Jill Churchill's books in case they get good again, because I don't think they will.

While the earlier books - especially in the Jane Jeffry series - are great, of late they have been at best formulaic and at worst, pointless and badly written. Sigh.
Zoe
This was a little more cozy than I was in the mood for, but the depiction of a small town during the Depression was thorough. The characters were a little two dimensional, but there were plenty of them, so there wasn't time for a huge character development.
Barbara
Almost finished and I enjoy it. the characters use very proper english in her stories, few contractions in her sentences. I'm enjoying it but it is taking her a while to get to the point. Not a lot of action but an interesting story
Wendy
The beginning was more interesting than the end. I liked the characters and the premise and the setting, but don't know if I'll search out any of the other novels in the series.
Kimberly
This is quick and breezy cozy mystery but definitely not a series I plan on continuing. It was bland to me. However, since it is light and easy, this may appeal to others.
Mick
My first Jill Churchill book I have read. The plot, if you can call it that, was very weak. I felt it lacked maturity and would not recommend it.
Melissa
Like others of Churchill needs a good editor. Inconsistencies like saying the day is Wednesday and they did something the next day, Friday.
  • Hocus Croakus (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #19)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)
  • Paint by Murder (Manor House Mystery, #5)
  • As the World Churns (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #16)
  • The Winter of Her Discontent (Rosie Winter, #2)
  • Frill Kill (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #5)
  • Beacon Street Mourning (Fremont Jones, #6)
  • Miss Dimple Disappears (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #1)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an
More about Jill Churchill...

Grace & Favor (7 books)
  • Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)
  • In the Still of the Night (Grace & Favor, #2)
  • Someone to Watch Over Me (Grace & Favor, #3)
  • Love for Sale (Grace & Favor, #4)
  • It Had to Be You (Grace & Favor, #5)
  • Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (Grace & Favor,  #7)
Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1) Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1) A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2) A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5) War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)