In the Still of the Night (Grace & Favor, #2)

In the Still of the Night (Grace & Favor #2)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  421 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Lily Brewster and her brother Robert have all the appearances of being filthy rich, even though the family fortune went out the window with the crash of 1929. But thanks to great-uncle Horatio, who left them Grace and Favor Cottage, a huge mansion on the Hudson not far from Franklin Roosevelt's Hyde Park, the Brewsters live in the style to which they had become accustomed-...more
Mass Market Paperback, 242 pages
Published May 2nd 2000 by Avon Books (first published 1999)

Paula
This is the next book in the series after Anything Goes and, like the previous book, it features Lily and Robert Brewster, a brother and sister who have inherited a large house in the middle of the Great Depression, but not the money to keep it going and live in the style to which they used to be accustomed.

This time around, they hit on the idea of trying to make some cash by inviting well-known people to stay and then getting other people to pay to spend the weekend with them. After a couple of...more
Anne Hawn Smith
Robert and Lily have a great idea for earning some money. They've invited a special guest to Grace and Favor, a reclusive author, and then invited paying guests who wish to attend his lectures, share meals with him and, in general, get to know him better. This book was filled with interesting characters and plot twists and turns. I'd say this is the best of Jill Churchill's that I have read. The characters are better drawn and more interesting. Lily's idea for the " resident author" weekend seem...more
Joshua Ian
3.5 stars. I actually found the story of this second installment more enjoyable than the first, but it honestly suffered for lack of a different/better editor. These types of cozy mysteries are my escapist "mind-candy" reads so I usually overlook typical editorial problems like misspelled or left-out words, misnaming a character, etc. But the first third of this book had a LOT of repetitious information. The author introduced some character backstory through little asides during dialogue which s...more
Michelle
Jul 29, 2008 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs, cozy readers, depression era
This is the first I read of the Grace and Favor books, book 2 I believe. It was the only one at the nearest library they had (the other one had most of the others). This one got me hooked, but it isn't my favorite, Someone To Watch Over Me is my favorite.

The plot of this one, if I remember (being a few months ago that I read the one's I've read) was pretty good. It wasn't the easiest one I've read, so that's good.

Again, as with the other Grace and Favor books, you get a bit of a history lesson...more
Cheryl A
This second installment of the Grace and Favor mystery series, featuring Lily and Robert Brewster, socially elite siblings fallen on hard times, was as pleasant as the first. Lily and Robert have inherited a mansion on the Hudson, but must reside in the home for 10 years in order to qualify for the remaining estate...cash. With a lack of funds for personal expenses, Lily hits upon the idea of hosting social gatherings where guests pay for a weekend with a celebrity.

Lily's first celebrity is recl...more
Harry Lane
Series based on the premise of a pair of poor rich kids struggling to comply with the unusual and strict conditions of an inheritance, who also happen to get themselves involved in murder. The stories are set in the early years of the depression, and are populated with interesting and well-drawn characters. This installment is a good read.
George
Hudson River Valley mystery at the start of the Great Depression. Young Lily and Robert Brewster, sister and brother, used to be wealthy until their family's fortune was lost in the stock market crash. After barely making ends meet for a couple of years, they inherit a Hudson River mansion from an uncle. The inheritance comes with a lot of strings so they have to continue making their way in the world. Lily decides to use the home as a site for inviting paying guests for themed activities to ear...more
Dolly
Oct 26, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
I really enjoyed the first Grace and Favor mystery, a mixture of historical fiction and a suspenseful mystery. So when I found this second book in the series, I decided to read it right away. I thoroughly enjoyed the motley characters in this second book and I will definitely look for more stories in this series. The depression-era background and the inclusion of events that occurred at the time (like the Lindbergh baby kidnapping) lend a note of authenticity to the tales. I enjoy learning more...more
Elizabeth
This is the second book in the Grace and Favor series.

Lily and her brother Robert decide that they need to find a source of income. They decide to host a weekend with a famous author and invite guests who will pay for the pleasure of spending the weekend with an author.

This is your classic "drawing room mystery" formula.

Though it was predictable and I guessed what was going on very early in the book, I still really enjoyed it and thought it was well done.
Mailis Viiand
The facts or clues were told over and over again, sometimes from different view points,sometimes by Lily who just went around, met someone told them all she knew, moved on and met someone else and told them all she knew again. It was just frustrating, because as a reader, you think, yes i know that already. I think the killer and motive were quite obvious. I like the setting and it has promise, but this one was a box of boring to me.
Mary
Lily and her brother Robert, have inherited a mansion and enough money to keep it up, but nothing extra. In order to make money for themselves so that they can one day actually have the money and the house, they bring in a special, famous guest (a writer by the name of Julian West) and paying customers, their former, wealthy friends. But things go wrong from the first and a series of unfortunate events happen.
Sharon Zink
Sometimes Ann Rule tries to hard to make a crime fit a book-length manuscript. I am always ready for her books to end. I listened to this book on CD. It's a good story, but I bet it made Lewis County Police Department in Washington State mad and embarrassed. They deserved to look bad. Even I know better than to make the mistakes those detectives made at the crime scene.
Jodi
Meh. The premise had so much potential, but turned out to be simply dull. I had to force myself to finish. I love a good mystery but I will have to look elsewhere for a new series to try. On the front of this book, a reviewer proclaimed, "Agatha Christie is alive and well and writing under the name of Jill Churchill." Hardly.
Sallie
I kinda had the mystery figured out, but not the murderer, early on but still enjoyed this book a lot. I like the setting, the time period (1930s) and the references to President Hoover and Gov. Roosevelt and the views of each by the characters.
Kyrie
It's the continuation of Robert and Lily's adventures in running a boarding house, and trying to make money in other ways, such as having a paid weekend party for their former friends who still have money.
Melissa
This book holds a little more true to the mystery formula... it actually seems to be about the murder mystery. No new ground broken here, just a nice little escapist read.
Elaine
Not up to the quality of her other series with the clever names. Read them and forget the Grace/Favor ones.
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist
In the Still of the Night (Grace & Favor Mysteries, No. 2) by Jill Churchill (2000)
Carol
Part of the Grace and Favor series. Good light reading.
Cynthia Hale
interesting mystery. Basically clean.
Wyshona D. Lawson
I love this series!
Randa
Randa marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Tess
Tess marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Lisa Bickford
Lisa Bickford marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Libraryassistant
Libraryassistant marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
  • Beacon Street Mourning (Fremont Jones, #6)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)
  • Creeps Suzette (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #15)
  • Site Unseen (An Emma Fielding Mystery, #1)
  • Dying In the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1)
  • Bedlam: The Further Secret Adventures of Charlotte Bronte
  • Gruel and Unusual Punishment (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #10)
  • Frill Kill (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #5)
  • Death Comes to the Village
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Naked Ladies (The Darling Dahlias #2)
  • The Transcendental Murder (Homer Kelly, #1)
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • Seneca Falls Inheritance (Glynis Tryon, #1)
  • Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1)
A pseudonym used by Janice Young Brooks.

Jill Churchill, winner of the Agatha and Macavity Mystery Readers Awards, and nominated for an Anthony for her best-selling Jane Jeffry series, lives as Jane does, in a midwestern suburb. On purpose! She says writing this series and the Grace and Favor series is the best treat she can have without a knife and fork.

Under her real name, Janice Young Brooks, an...more
More about Jill Churchill...
Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry, #1) Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1) A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2) A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5) A Quiche Before Dying (Jane Jeffry, #3)