Putting on the Ritz

Putting on the Ritz (Gilbert Selwyn and Friends #2)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  324 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The witty duo from Blue Heaven invade the entourage of a tasteless real estate/media magnate, attempt to turn his talentless wife into a chanteuse, and vie for the affections of a suave magazine editor, in this deftly delicious comedy of bad manners, financial skullduggery, and romantic infighting.
Published November 1st 1992 by Penguin Books (first published November 13th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Putting on the Ritz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Putting on the Ritz

Almost Like Being in Love by Steve KlugerShattered Glass by Dani AlexanderNaked by David SedarisLife is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison HawnIf It's A Choice, My Zygote Chose Balls by Jeremy Hooper
Best LGBT Humor
35th out of 188 books — 300 voters
Presence by Perie WolfordThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerA Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty  SmithValley of the Dolls by Jacqueline SusannRosemary's Baby by Ira Levin
Fiction that Features NYC
14th out of 49 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
a singalong Puttin' on the Ritz! as sung by the feverishly arch 80s chanteur known only as Taco. the immortal Taco!

"If you're gay and you don't know where to stay,
toss off that leash, go with the nouveau riche,
Puttin' on the Ritz.

New York types who run the world, sell the world,
soulless too, the perfect twits,
Puttin' on the Ritz.

Dressed up like a million dollar trooper
Trying hard to look like Gary Cooper (super duper)

Come let's mix where trophy wives walk with sticks
tiny dogs clutched in
Johnny
Putting on the Ritz is not the period piece I was expecting, in spite of the references to Wilde, Wodehouse, and Coward on the cover. I understand the references to those giants of comedic chaos replete with send-ups of high society and pseudo-elegance; there are similarities of style (at least through the first three quarters of the book and the last sixth of the book). In particular, author Joe Keenan is a master of the snarky simile and unexpected bon mot. Yet, although the book does not take...more
Karen
Apr 27, 2013 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Joe Keenan is laugh-out-loud funny and a worthy successor to P. G. Wodehouse, with Philip and Gilbert as today's Bertie Wooster and Claire, of the mighty brain, as Jeeves - the wonder woman who comes up with the brilliant solution to a seemingly insoluble problem. The final scene at the church is a clever mirror of the wedding scene at the end of Wodehouse's "Ukridge's Accident Syndicate".

Just to give you an idea of Keenan's Wodehousian facility with the English language, here is a sample: his d...more
Erin
May 29, 2014 Erin marked it as to-read
Absolutely adored Blue Heaven and just learned that there are two sequels. Hooray! Of course, I can't get that damn Taco song out of my head now.
Dan
One of the funniest things I've ever read! A laugh-out-loud novel with all the wit of Wilde, Wodehouse and Coward, by the writer of "Frasier".
Harry
Reading this ten years after I first picked it up, I'm in awe of Keenan's ability to handle witty dialogue, insinuation and innuendo, and deft plot twists. As wordly as I thought I was in my twenties, I'm guessing there was a good amount I missed, and hopefully when I read this again in my forties, I'll feel the same. You want an example? (view spoiler)...more
Catherine  Mustread
Aug 30, 2009 Catherine Mustread rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Catherine by: Thurber Award
Shelves: humor, glbt, fiction
This second installment starring the Phillip/Gilbert/Claire trio which began in Blue Heaven is as humorous as cotton candy is sweet. All the references in other reviews to Wodehouse makes me think I need to read (re-read?) something by him.
BoekenTrol
Sep 13, 2012 BoekenTrol marked it as not_read_only_released  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: flambard
Intended this book for one of the participants in the Top 3 wishlist RABCK. It was already sent to him by another BC-member, so I am now sending it to another BC'er who has it on his wishlist AND who has granted a wish from me some time ago too.
Mei
A wonderful second part of the hilarious and camp adventures of Gilbert and Phillip, this time as they get roped into a battle between two feuding millionaires. Really enjoyed this - it's a modern take on PG Wodehouse and so wonderfully done.
Jen
More Philip, Gilbert and Claire debaucles. I love these characters. I honestly don't think you could write a dull story where they were involved. If you liked the first one, you will like this one as well.
Kip
Like seeing a very well done farce in a packed theater. Insanely over the top, but never appears to strain for a joke. Hilarious. Joe Keenan deserves to be at least 3/4 as famous as David Sedaris.
Carla
This book is really funny-- with a female Jeeves character no less. The Wodehouse-humor is handled perfectly. A gay comic classic.
Lynn
I really enjoyed this book, there are many humorous sections and it came together better than I thought it would at the end.
John
One of my favorite books of all time. You will laugh out loud from the start to the finish.
Frank778
Excellent better than Blue Heaven. Story is screwball and every paragraph has at least one zinger.
Amanda Abright
A witty slapstick comedy about the social heights of NYC. A modern PG Wodehouse!
Mollie
This is a funny little piece of fluff that's nice to read when your brain's exhausted.
James Denny
One of my favourite books of all times - I read this about once a year on average!
Tracey Sinclair
Funny, smart urban New York set comedy by one of the writers of Frazier.
Patricia Chew
Outrageously funny but must read Blue Heaven first...
Andrew
Go, find it, read it! You will pee.
Janice
Bruce
May 27, 2012 Bruce added it
Fantastic
Jake Hill
Jake Hill marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
  • Drag Queen (Robert Rodi Essentials)
  • Murder on the Yellow Brick Road (Toby Peters, #2)
  • The Easy Way Out
  • 28 Barbary Lane: The Tales of the City Omnibus (Tales of the City, #1-3)
  • The Men from the Boys
  • Deaths of Jocasta (Micky Knight, #2)
  • Every Night, Josephine!
  • The Dreyfus Affair: A Love Story
  • Like People in History
  • Drama Queers!
  • Arkansas: Three Novellas
  • The Marrying Kind
  • How Long Has This Been Going On?
  • Nightswimmer
  • Prime Suspect (Jane Tennison, #1)
  • String of Lies (Craft Corner, #2)
  • The Back Passage (Mitch Mitchell Mystery, #1)
  • Full Circle
Blue Heaven My Lucky Star The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Oggi Sposi Rides