Start by marking “Living Nonviolent Communication: Practical Tools to Connect and Communicate Skillfully in Every Situation” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  169 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
You're about to have an uncomfortable meeting with your boss. The principal just called about your middle-schooler. You had a fight with your partner and it's an hour before bed. You know your next move will go a long way toward defining your relationships with these individuals. So what do you do?
We all find ourselves in situations similar to these, and too often resort
Published June 1st 2012 by Sounds True (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Living Nonviolent Communication, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Nonviolent Communication

Beckett
Aug 15, 2013 Beckett rated it it was amazing
It's a difficult read (for me - because it's not a story) but well worth the time. I needed help speaking with both my son and students in a way that respects and empathizes with their own "stuff" instead of taking things personally. Honestly, I'm just sick of being defensive all the time. I don't have enough practice yet, but I plan to attend some seminars and read all his other books. A world without war. holla.
Kevan
Oct 12, 2015 Kevan rated it really liked it
Like Rosenberg's main book, this introduces life-changing theories for how to think and speak. A sequel of sorts to the original, it uses case studies, dialogue to help unpack and explain the value of non-violent communication. I found myself wishing I had obtained the foundation first, which I subsequently did by reading the original.
T.
Jun 03, 2015 T. rated it it was ok
Rosenberg's technique to facilitating communication and providing conflict resolution has some very nice sentiments, and I can see how the techniques may help in many if not most situations (especially in interpersonal relationships between children and parents, siblings, or significant others). Nevertheless, I suspect the technique is facile and insufficient owing to the author's rather myopic and unrealistic worldview. Furthermore, the topic is hamstrung somewhat by a poor presentation involvi ...more
Callie Atkinson
May 29, 2015 Callie Atkinson rated it liked it
TW: Domestic Violence, R*pe

This book was one of the recommended readings from "More than Two". It certainly has helped me look at situations in a different way, trying to read the need behind people's expressions - in Marshall's words, "judgments are tragic expressions of unmet needs". I especially liked the section on managing anger, which went through identifying the stimulus and the cause and recognising they are separate from one another. I've learnt not to say "I'm angry because you.." but
Steffan Bard
Jun 20, 2015 Steffan Bard rated it really liked it
Of the two books I prefer the first one but I enjoyed reading this one because there is so much to take in and rewire in your thinking to be able to live out NVC.

For me, reading this had more to do with me being aware of the objections that would come into my mind when a certain concept of NVC was being revisited. I still feel like I have a long way to go before I can live out NVC as much as I want to.

There was a lot of repeated material, mostly illustrations, from the regular NVC book, so I did
Danielle
Feb 27, 2016 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a chapter on anger, which is the most helpful piece on the topic that I've read (and I've sought out so much advice and literature in both psychology and spirtiuality on the topic because I struggle with it so much). Anger starts as a thought, in the form of a judgment of either yourself or someone else. If you can shift focus to either your feelings and needs or the other person's feelings and needs, the anger gets cut off. It sounds simple but is difficult to do, but this so far has b ...more
Unwisely
Sep 07, 2014 Unwisely rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2014
I don't remember why this author was recommended, but it was the author, and I picked the book title that sounded most useful. I didn't realize that this was a supplemental volume until about 3/4 of the way through; I was pretty frustrated that he wasn't explaining concepts and thought he was a pretty terrible communicator.

I will read the other book; I feel like there could have been great info here but out of order it wasn't very useful. Doh.
Durwin
Oct 15, 2014 Durwin rated it really liked it
Shelves: clinical, psychology
The nonviolent approach is very practical in terms of being relatively straightforward to introduce to others. However, implementing it in one's life can be challenging because to do so requires a person not to be hijacked by their fear/anger circuitry, and to be genuinely interested in achieving mutual understanding. So often, people have strategic / power agendas OTHER THAN coming to mutual understanding with another human being.
Anna
May 14, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
this book is invaluable. the best gift you can give to yourself (and to the world, really) is to read this book. no joke. please do it.

incredible insight as to why communicating is often difficult when we so desperately feel it needn't be, and how to ease some of the barriers that hinder us from more fully connecting with others.
May 21, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was ok
There was only one chapter in this book that didn't tick me off, and that was the one about kids. I learned halfway through that is it a companion book, so I will go to the source material before judging too harshly.
Dave
Apr 02, 2015 Dave rated it it was amazing
Brilliant,and so very very important. A copy of this book would be an incredibly valuable to everyone-who struggles with communication issues-particularly those folks who think that OTHER people are the ones with the issues.
#ESSENTIAL
Steevn Toerist
Nov 25, 2015 Steevn Toerist rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
De mensenfluisteraar :-)
Inderdaad een prachtig doe-boek, een manier van denken-communiceren die de meeste mensen niet gewoon zijn te doen. Een absolute aanrader!!
Sean Conner
Jun 26, 2014 Sean Conner rated it it was amazing
It revolutionized the way I communicate with my wife, friends, and myself.
Emilis Kuke
Aug 05, 2015 Emilis Kuke rated it it was amazing
Rekomenduoju.
Mark Brown
Jun 05, 2014 Mark Brown rated it liked it
A very good follow on book to his main book, Nonviolent Communications. This is a challenging practice so this provides good scenarios.
The new CEO of Microsoft highly recommends NVC so we'll what difference it might make there.
Susie
Jun 05, 2016 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I have taken a lot of good from this book. I don't know that I can apply it to the personality type of INTJ, which is prominent in my life. Applying it to my own life and outside relationships will take practice but I am certainly going to try. I love the concept!
Mills College Library
153.6 R8135 2012
Martin Van Wettum
Jul 15, 2015 Martin Van Wettum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mooi boek, inspirerend, goede handvatten om dmv verandering in je taalgebruik tot diepere communicatie te komen
Denise
Aug 14, 2012 Denise rated it it was ok
The premise is good but the dialogues read as made-up and hokey just to prove the point being delivered. Maybe this is a book for people who've never ever read a single self-help book, but I found it incredibly simplistic. Consider The Four Agreements instead. A much shorter and to-the-point book without all the pithy dialogue.
Naomi
Jul 16, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it
Filled with dialogues and helpful examples of the principles of Nonviolent Communication in action, this book makes those principles easier to understand and practice for those of us who do best with stories for learning (for each dialogue becomes a story). Great for small group study.
Kelly
Aug 14, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Loved this. Takes my positive discipline communication strategies to a deeper level.
Christian Ardita
Feb 26, 2013 Christian Ardita rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Very good!
Cat
Mar 21, 2013 Cat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Relatively quick read. Good in addition to the other works. Especially enjoyed the last chapter on "practical spirituality" and this quote:

pg 145 "I trust a spirituality that leads people to go forward and transform the world, that doesn't just sit there with this beautiful image of radiating energy. I want to see that energy reflected in people's actions as they go out and make things happen. It's something you do, a practical spirituality."
Meteokid
Meteokid marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Janet Van
Janet Van rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Dangdang
Dangdang marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Olga
Olga marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Ypatios Varelas
Ypatios Varelas marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Agnieszka Ptaszek
Agnieszka Ptaszek marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
  • In Over Our Heads: The Mental Demands of Modern Life
  • The Boys from Little Mexico: A Season Chasing the American Dream
  • Finding Our Way: Leadership for an Uncertain Time
  • Undefended Love
  • The Earth Knows My Name: Food, Culture, and Sustainability in the Gardens of Ethnic Americans
  • Mindfulness and Psychotherapy
  • Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven-Stage Journey Out of Depression
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • Nonviolent Communication Companion Workbook: A Practical Guide for Individual, Group, or Classroom Study
  • I Need Your Love - Is That True?: How to Stop Seeking Love, Approval, and Appreciation and Start Finding Them Instead
  • The Bond: Connecting Through the Space Between Us
  • Let's Get Free: A Hip-Hop Theory of Justice
  • Messages: The Communication Skills Book
  • The Skilled Helper: A Problem-Management and Opportunity-Development Approach to Helping
  • Boundaries and Relationships: Knowing, Protecting and Enjoying the Self
  • How to Make Yourself Miserable
  • The World Needs Your Kid: Raising Children Who Care And Contribute
  • Lovingkindness Meditation: Learning to Love Through Insight Meditation
Marshall Rosenberg is an American psychologist and the creator of Nonviolent Communication, a communication process that helps people to exchange the information necessary to resolve conflicts and differences peacefully. He is the founder and Director of Educational Services for the Center for Nonviolent Communication, an international non-profit organization.

In 1961, Rosenberg received his Ph.D.
More about Marshall B. Rosenberg...

“This objective of getting what we want from other people—or getting them to do what we want them to do—threatens the autonomy of people, their right to choose what they want to do. And whenever people feel that they’re not free to choose what they want to do, they are likely to resist, even if they see the purpose in what we are asking and would ordinarily want to do it.” 0 likes
“power based on mutual trust and respect, which makes people open to hearing one another, learning from one another, and giving to one another willingly out of a desire to contribute to one another’s well-being, rather than out of a fear of punishment or hope for a reward.” 0 likes