Start by marking “Living Nonviolent Communication: Practical Tools to Connect and Communicate Skillfully in Every Situation” as Want to Read:

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  14 reviews
You're about to have an uncomfortable meeting with your boss. The principal just called about your middle-schooler. You had a fight with your partner and it's an hour before bed. You know your next move will go a long way toward defining your relationships with these individuals. So what do you do?
We all find ourselves in situations similar to these, and too often resort
Published May 28th 2012 by Sounds True (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Living Nonviolent Communication, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Nonviolent Communication

Beckett
It's a difficult read (for me - because it's not a story) but well worth the time. I needed help speaking with both my son and students in a way that respects and empathizes with their own "stuff" instead of taking things personally. Honestly, I'm just sick of being defensive all the time. I don't have enough practice yet, but I plan to attend some seminars and read all his other books. A world without war. holla.
Callie Atkinson
TW: Domestic Violence, R*pe

This book was one of the recommended readings from "More than Two". It certainly has helped me look at situations in a different way, trying to read the need behind people's expressions - in Marshall's words, "judgments are tragic expressions of unmet needs". I especially liked the section on managing anger, which went through identifying the stimulus and the cause and recognising they are separate from one another. I've learnt not to say "I'm angry because you.." but
Unwisely
I don't remember why this author was recommended, but it was the author, and I picked the book title that sounded most useful. I didn't realize that this was a supplemental volume until about 3/4 of the way through; I was pretty frustrated that he wasn't explaining concepts and thought he was a pretty terrible communicator.

I will read the other book; I feel like there could have been great info here but out of order it wasn't very useful. Doh.
Durwin
The nonviolent approach is very practical in terms of being relatively straightforward to introduce to others. However, implementing it in one's life can be challenging because to do so requires a person not to be hijacked by their fear/anger circuitry, and to be genuinely interested in achieving mutual understanding. So often, people have strategic / power agendas OTHER THAN coming to mutual understanding with another human being.
There was only one chapter in this book that didn't tick me off, and that was the one about kids. I learned halfway through that is it a companion book, so I will go to the source material before judging too harshly.
Dave
Brilliant,and so very very important. A copy of this book would be an incredibly valuable to everyone-who struggles with communication issues-particularly those folks who think that OTHER people are the ones with the issues.
#ESSENTIAL
Sean Conner
It revolutionized the way I communicate with my wife, friends, and myself.
Mark Brown
A very good follow on book to his main book, Nonviolent Communications. This is a challenging practice so this provides good scenarios.
The new CEO of Microsoft highly recommends NVC so we'll what difference it might make there.
Denise
The premise is good but the dialogues read as made-up and hokey just to prove the point being delivered. Maybe this is a book for people who've never ever read a single self-help book, but I found it incredibly simplistic. Consider The Four Agreements instead. A much shorter and to-the-point book without all the pithy dialogue.
Naomi
Filled with dialogues and helpful examples of the principles of Nonviolent Communication in action, this book makes those principles easier to understand and practice for those of us who do best with stories for learning (for each dialogue becomes a story). Great for small group study.
Kelly
Loved this. Takes my positive discipline communication strategies to a deeper level.
Cat
Relatively quick read. Good in addition to the other works. Especially enjoyed the last chapter on "practical spirituality" and this quote:

pg 145 "I trust a spirituality that leads people to go forward and transform the world, that doesn't just sit there with this beautiful image of radiating energy. I want to see that energy reflected in people's actions as they go out and make things happen. It's something you do, a practical spirituality."
Liz Wm
Liz Wm is currently reading it
May 29, 2015
Łukasz Lichota
Łukasz Lichota marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa is currently reading it
May 27, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 07, 2015
Reba Safko
Reba Safko marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Reetta Koivisto
Reetta Koivisto marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Louie Berrodin
Louie Berrodin marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Gerard Collin
Gerard Collin marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Razia Bibi
Razia Bibi marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Bonnie DaRienzo
Bonnie DaRienzo marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • In Over Our Heads: Mental Demands of Modern Life
  • Finding Our Way: Leadership for an Uncertain Time
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • The Boys from Little Mexico: A Season Chasing the American Dream
  • The Earth Knows My Name: Food, Culture, and Sustainability in the Gardens of Ethnic Americans
  • Mindfulness and Psychotherapy
  • The Bond: Connecting Through the Space Between Us
  • Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven-Stage Journey Out of Depression
  • Nonviolent Communication Companion Workbook: A Practical Guide for Individual, Group, or Classroom Study
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • The Skilled Helper: A Problem-Management and Opportunity-Development Approach to Helping
  • Let's Get Free: A Hip-Hop Theory of Justice
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • Too Good to Leave, Too Bad to Stay: A Step-by-Step Guide to Help You Decide Whether to Stay In or Get Out of Your Relationship
  • I Need Your Love - Is That True?: How to Stop Seeking Love, Approval, and Appreciation and Start Finding Them Instead
  • The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age
  • Me, Myself, and Why: Searching for the Science of Self
  • Moral Tribes: Emotion, Reason, and the Gap Between Us and Them
Marshall Rosenberg is an American psychologist and the creator of Nonviolent Communication, a communication process that helps people to exchange the information necessary to resolve conflicts and differences peacefully. He is the founder and Director of Educational Services for the Center for Nonviolent Communication, an international non-profit organization.

In 1961, Rosenberg received his Ph.D.
More about Marshall B. Rosenberg...
Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way Speak Peace in a World of Conflict: What You Say Next Will Change Your World The Surprising Purpose of Anger: Beyond Anger Management: Finding the Gift Speaking Peace: Connecting with Others Through Nonviolent Communication

“This objective of getting what we want from other people—or getting them to do what we want them to do—threatens the autonomy of people, their right to choose what they want to do. And whenever people feel that they’re not free to choose what they want to do, they are likely to resist, even if they see the purpose in what we are asking and would ordinarily want to do it.” 0 likes
“power based on mutual trust and respect, which makes people open to hearing one another, learning from one another, and giving to one another willingly out of a desire to contribute to one another’s well-being, rather than out of a fear of punishment or hope for a reward.” 0 likes