Fight Club

Fight Club

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  237,444 ratings  ·  6,634 reviews
Sie sind jung, sie sind stark – und sie sind gelangweilt: Normale, berufstätige Männer und Familienväter auf der Suche nach einem Mittel gegen die Leere in ihrem Leben. Sie treffen sich auf Parkplätzen und in Kellern von Bars, um mit nackten Fäusten gegeneinander zu kämpfen. Der Anführer dieser „Fight Clubs“ ist Tyler Durden, und er ist besessen von dem Plan, furchtbare Ra...more
Published 1999 by Droemer Knaur (first published 1996)

ruzmarì
Mary Ann Evans, in the 1850s, spoke out against the notion that "lady novelists" were capable of producing only "silly novels" - precious, sentimental, illogical and improbable claptrap - while men produced high literature. She changed her name to George Eliot and wrote as a "gender neutral" narrator, highly educated and worldly, and mostly transparent (i.e., not silly).

The 1990s finds us again at a crossroads where literature is concerned, with the rise of Oprah's book club and the whole genre...more
Lou
Photobucket
1st rule about Fight Club is read the novel first! Well thats my rule, i watched the movie, when it came out years ago (most the population) and only now discovered the real Fight club.
The narrator is a traveling automobile company employee who suffers from insomnia. On advice from his doctor attends support groups and pretends to be a victim. He gains some emotional release here and feels part of a people and becomes addicted to attending these support groups as an imposter. He's not the only...more
Kira
I read this book as a self-absorbed 18-year old and never looked back. Brilliant modern critique of western consumerism and masculinity, told through the story of an underground club of men who beat the hell out of each other as a way of working through their disillusionments.

Each sentence of each chapter is quotable, things like :
'You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.'
and
'We don't ha...more
Paquita Maria Sanchez
I finally did it. I stayed up late last night and I read the f****ing Fight Club. Normally, Chuck Palahniuk really pisses me off with his initially engaging and fantastically original stories which all too quickly turn into misguided ramblings about a bunch of asshole caricatures with preposterous lines like "we need to get you laid, brother" to signal the beginning of a plot twist (and the end of you thinking that particular novel is going to be any good). However, I must say that Fight Club wa...more
Jun 05, 2008 Sarah rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Trendwhores
Dear Chuck,

I have tried to like you. Really, I honestly have. I tried to read Rant, I tried to read Choke and then I attempted this book. Rare is the moment where I realize I enjoyed the movie much MUCH more then then the novel it is based on. I simply do not like your style of writing, and I have been ridiculed by fanboys who will defend your honor to the grave. Your style comes off as unique, but I can feel the pretentiousness like a piece of meat stuck in between my teeth. You know full well...more
Chris
Well, now I reckon y'all have seen the movie, so there's probably not a whole lot that you need to know about this book.

You know Tyler Durden.

He's the Id, the unchained spirit that wants what he wants and he wants it now. He's the voice in your head that tells you that everything is worthless, that chaos, death and the end of civilization would be better than anything our so-called "society" could ever create. He's the one standing over your left shoulder, whispering "Burn it all down. It'll be...more
Sara
I adore the way Palahniuk writes, it's like having someone back you into a corner and not knowing if they want to hit you or fuck you...the tension is immeasurable. His language speaks to the gut, the primal drives that undulate in all of us just beneath the surface of our civility. THIS is the authors magic, the ability to make us feel so much with stripped down and raw language. The words roll around in the head and make us THINK about our role in the modern consumer society: Who am I? What do...more
Idle Hippo
Feb 25, 2009 Idle Hippo rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Sophie Kinsella fans >:)
Recommended to Idle Hippo by: Edward Norton & Brad Pitt
Shelves: fiksi, book-to-movies
Gentlemen, welcome to Fight Club

*The first rule about fight club is.. You do not talk about fight club.
*The second rule about fight club is.. You DO NOT talk about fight club.
*The third rule of fight club.. Someone yells "Stop!" goes limp, taps out, the fight is over
*Fourth rule.. Only two guys to a fight.
*Fifth rule.. One fight at a time, fellas.
*Sixth rule.. No shirts, no shoes.
*Seventh rule.. Fights will go on as long as they have to.
*And the eight and final rule.. If this is your first night...more
Ryan
Some people find Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club too ridiculous and far-fetched. What kind of man opts out? Who would give up his pension to bring down society during the week?

(It's a good point, and one that explains why the revolution has not yet been not televised.)

As for who, well, we need to approach this question carefully.

As we grow older, we become more invested -- trapped, some would say -- in the systems that our society has constructed for us. However, even as one part of us becomes more...more
Shovelmonkey1
Nov 07, 2011 Shovelmonkey1 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: people with chronic ikea nesting syndrome
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: 1001 books list and many black-eyed goodreaders
Hello Chuck,
It's me again.
Remember, I wrote to you about Choke? It wasn't long ago.
So I just read Fight Club.
Uh huh I know I was slow off the mark.
This book came out in 1997.
What have I been doing with my time?
Well this book came out when I was sixteen and at that time, I have to admit Chuck, I was mostly trying to disappear up my own ass by reading things like Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being and On the Road by Kerouac.
It's not easy to get angsty when you're...well... a bit...more
Joshua
To start with, the film is so far superior to this book it becomes a valuable example in the argument of "instances when film adaptations are better than the original books".
There. Ive said it.
Moving on.
No, his writing is not "good" nor is it "brilliant" or "Gritty" (one of my favorites, usually translates to bad). It is indeed bad writing. Bad from the perspective of literature. Bad when viewed through scope of history and the pantheon of wonderful, eloquent geniuses of the written word. Men w...more
anarki
You do not talk about Fight Club.
Stephen
4.0 stars. Well, in my recent review of The Two Towers, I blamed Peter Jackson for only giving that book 4 stars as I actually liked certain aspects of the movie version better than the treatment they received in the book. Now, less than a week later I find myself only giving this book 4 stars as a result of having seen AND LOVED the movie version directed by David Fincher.

Having seen the movie (several times) before finally reading the book, the narrative, while excellent, was not as compelling...more
Marvin
Welcome to Goodreads Book Review Club.

The first rule is you don't talk about Review Club.
The second rule is you don't talk about Review Club.
The third rule is the review is over when Carpal Tunnel Syndrome sets in or the reader goes into a coma from terminally excessive verbiage.
The fourth rule is only two persons reviewing a book at a time. (think the Point-Counter Point parody on the original Saturday Night Live... "Jane, You ignorant slut!!")
The fifth rule is one review at a time. (I tried re...more
Cory
Apparently, I'm not a fan of post-modern literature. I don't get Bret Easton Ellis or Jack Kerouac. I like my stories structured and when stream of consciousness is used, I don't like to feel like I'm reading from behind a veil.

Fight Club has a brilliant premise and the first 100 pages are pretty good. Unfortunately, towards the end, it feels like Palahniuk ran out of steam and decided to ramble as long as he could until his quota was filled.

In books, I don't like to know how the story ends. In...more
Priscilla
Wow. That was different. REALLY different. I thought this would be a quick read. Just over 200 pages... was I wrong. I was really out of my comfort zone, and it took me about 30 pages to get into Chuck's writing style, and the narration. BUT, I thought it was clever and surprisingly funny at parts.

Initial thoughts:
1) If Chuck did his research, I know how to make home made bombs and soap.
2) Very clever. Very insightful.
3) Dark. Crude. Funny.
4) Narration style is very different from what I'm used...more
Buggy
Opening line: “Tyler gets me a job as a waiter, after Tyler’s pushing a gun in my mouth and saying, the first step to eternal life is you have to die”

There’s not much I can say about FIGHT CLUB that hasn’t been said already (besides I’m not supposed to talk about it -first rule of FC and all) It’s one of those books on everyone’s “to read” list and ultimately it's everything you'd expect it to be; disjointed, astonishing, dark, gritty and fantastic. Although I did wonder how you’d manage to unde...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*

Well ... I guess I have to break the first two rules of Fight Club. TROLOLOLO. Seriously though, the joke gets so overused so ... yeah. We can all now acknowledge that I am talking about Fight Club and then get on with our lives.

Anyway, I should probably be doing homework or something else productive, but I think instead I'm just going to stare at my computer screen and try to figure out how on earth to review this book.

Basically, Fight Club is the story of an unnamed narrator who suffers from...more
Stefania T.

Intendiamoci.
So perfettamente di essere una dei pochi polli sperduti che per la prima volta incontrano, scoprono Fight club.
Non ho visto il film (echi di disapprovazione rumorosa e scomposta rimbombano in aula, “A casa devi andare, a casa!”); fino a ieri non avevo letto il romanzo; fino a ieri non sapevo che diavoleria fosse Fight club.
Buongiorno! – direte tutti in coro, con smorfie saccenti (e alquanto insopportabili, se mi permettete).
Non fate ironia, ché non sono dell’umore adatto.
E come p...more
K.D. Absolutely
Jun 28, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Ace (have you read this?); 100 Must Read Books for Men
Shelves: guy-lit
Thank you, Ace for lending me this book. I really liked it (4 stars)!

Remember the articles in old Reader's Digest entitled "I am Joe's Liver", "I am Joe's Kidney" or "I am Jane's Vagina"? The unnamed narrator of this 1996 first-published novel of Chuck Palahniuk (born 1962) reads those articles so cult followers who obviously liked this book call him "Joe".

Joe is a Car Recall Specialist and he has to travel in various places in the US. Because of this his biological time clock gets messy and he...more
Patrick
When there is a book that I'm interested in reading that I hear is going to be made into a movie, I try to do my best to read the book before that happens. The reason for this is I don't want my impression of the book to be sullied by the movie. While watching a movie and thinking to yourself, "Hey, I remember that from the book!" Or, "Huh, that wasn't in the book. Interesting," or even, "That was in the book, but they did it differently. I applaud/deplore this decision," is interesting and fun,...more
Milo
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? G...more
Forrest
I haven't seen the movie. I read the book.

I don't understand all the hype.

This is two stories: one about a dysfunctional relationship between flat characters and another an intriguing history of a movement that starts out as a drunken fight between acquaintances and ends up as a highly-regimented, carefully controlled cult of anarchy.

I liked the second story. Hated the first.

I've heard that this novel was an expansion of an earlier short story. Frankly, I can tell. Chapter 1 is promising, but ch...more
Madeline
Pretty graphic, but very well-written. Also, thanks to this book, I now know how to make a bomb out of orange juice and window cleaner. I also know that men are completely insane.
Kim

At one point in my life, I would have embraced this ‘I-am-an-anti-Christ-I-am-an-anarchist-Don't- know-what-I-want-But-I-know-how-to-get-it-I-wanna-destroy-the-passer-by-'Cos-I-wanna-be-anarchy’ anthem.

Now I’m just tired.

In 1996, when this novel was written, I might have been on the fringe of still believing… maybe…naps looked awful nice back then. The idea is inspiring, in a mind-set not body moving sort of way.

Yay. Old.

I will admit that I loved this movie adaptation and it’s taken me 17 yea...more
Zanna
A book I read in one session and finished flat on my back in the greenish dawn light of a poisoned Earth

Replying to Annie Weeder's review of the book, where she said it was otherwise good but too hypermasculine, I wrote:

As I understand it, Fight Club is so male because it is about men's frustration at what Palahniuk/Durden seems to draw as the *death of the warrior* in a *managerial economy* (in which masculist humiliation is used to maintain hierarchical structures). Looking back, this limited...more
Brian
Sep 27, 2007 Brian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: disaffected young men and their alter egos.
I have found that few people are ambivalent about this book. Either they hate it or they love it. Either way, it's an original. It is almost impossible to compare Fight Club to any other book that I've read.

I once read a review of the movie (which does a pretty good job of capturing the tone and themes of the book) that said that the people who hated the movie saw it as a drama rather than the comedy that it was intended to be. I think that there is something to that idea.

Fight Club is what Al F...more
Rola

أولا تحية للمقدمة الممتعة ل د. أحمد خالد توفيق و التي حوت معلومات هامة عن الكاتب و الكتاب و أجابت علي بضع اسئلة محيرة راودتني أثناء القراءة ،،،
مثلا : حوت الرواية تفاصيل و مقادير دقيقة عن كيفية صنع المتفجرات و تعجبت كون هذه المعلومات قد استخدامها بهدف التخريب ،، و لكن جاء بالمقدمة بالفعل أن الكاتب تعمد إغفال إضافات هامة لكل تركيبة حتي لا يتم استخدام الوصفات فيما يسئ ،، أي أن الوصفات المذكورة ناقصة بالفعل :)

أما عن الرواية ذاتها فهي تركيبة من الجنون و صورة بعدسة قريبة لموجات العنف العشوائي الموجود...more
Chance Maree

I appreciated and enjoyed Fight Club. Artistry is evident despite the gritty=bad writing, which suited the characters, story, and message perfectly. The novel would have wilted, made powerless, had rules from most writing books been applied.

Chuck Palahniuk described his work as "transgressive fiction" which is, according to Wiki, "a genre of literature that focuses on characters who feel confined by the norms and expectations of society and who break free of those confines in unusual and/or ill...more
Raeden Zen
Hallucinatory, Inspirational, Revealing Satire of Modern American Society

“There is nothing a blue collar nobody in Oregon with a public school education can imagine that a million-billion people haven’t already done…”

Initially published in a short-story compilation entitled, “Pursuit of Happiness” in 1995, self-proclaimed blue collar nobody, Chuck Palahniuk, expanded the 7-page story entitled “Fight Club” into a full length novel that was released in 1996. As Chuck pointed out in the afterword,...more
face-a-book: Fight Club 1 1 Apr 12, 2014 06:30AM
  • A Snowball in Hell
  • The Basketball Diaries
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
  • A Simple Plan
  • Sin City, Vol. 4: That Yellow Bastard (Sin City, #4)
  • Hocus Pocus
  • The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things
  • Nineteen Seventy Seven (Red Riding, #2)
Written in stolen moments under truck chassis and on park benches to a soundtrack of The Downward Spiral and Pablo Honey, Fight Club came into existence. The adaptation of Fight Club was a flop at the box office, but achieved cult status on DVD. The film’s popularity drove sales of the novel. Chuck put out two novels in 1999, Survivor and Invisible Monsters. Choke, published in 2001, became Chuck’...more
More about Chuck Palahniuk...
Choke Invisible Monsters Survivor Lullaby Haunted

32 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.” 6769 likes
“I don't want to die without any scars.” 4013 likes