Start by marking “Grow Your Handmade Business: How to Envision, Develop, and Sustain a Successful Creative Business” as Want to Read:

Are you ready to make a living from your craft? Learn how to map out a financial plan, expand production, automate distribution, address legal matters, and much more. Start growing your business beyond the dining room table and leave your day job behind.
Published July 3rd 2012 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Grow Your Handmade Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grow Your Handmade Business

The Handmade Marketplace by Kari ChapinThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesHow to Set Up Photography Lighting for a Home Studio by Amber RichardsViral-Marketing Professor by Nylus StantonThe Funding Is Out There! Access the Cash You Need to Impact ... by Tiffany C. Wright
Books for your Handmade Business
13th out of 14 books — 10 voters
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline KellyThe Curious World of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline KellyEva Luna by Isabel AllendeThe Book of Lost Things by John ConnollyThe End or Something Like That by Ann Dee Ellis
Cut Paper Book Covers
14th out of 20 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

N.
Jan 03, 2014 N. rated it it was ok
Properly speaking, this book should have been called "Sprout Your Handmade Business." It's about building your business from the pre-conceptual stage, not about growing an existing business. The first half is entirely "What do I want to do? How do I think out my plan?"; half thought exercise and half inspirational talk. Not really for me, so I skipped it.

Part Two touched on keeping accounts, registering your business, taxes, overhead, etc. This was why I picked up the book. Only, the content was
Lauren Albrecht
May 18, 2014 Lauren Albrecht rated it it was amazing
This book was so incredibly helpful for a very un-business minded girl to step foot into the business world. This book enabled me to take very practical steps in kick-starting my business and left me much less intimidated than when I started!
Ksenija
May 26, 2015 Ksenija rated it liked it
Shelves: entrepreneurship
A good source for anyone who's thinking of starting a business, not so much for the people who are already in the midst of things Also, it is exclusively directed towards the USA readers, as many (or even most) of legal things are quite different in other countries. It is a good starting source for inspiration as it gives a thorough overview to what exactly running a business means nowadays, and that is something the so called 'creative' people often neglect or even worse, ignore. About one four ...more
Samantha
There is a lot of good stuff in here- lots of things I personally NEVER would have considered. Some such items on my NEW agenda: hiring and guarding oneself with an accountant and attorney and to begin preparing for PR. There are a lot if great references as well... I believe I've signed up for 3 newsletters through my progression of the book.

I'm at the seedling stage of my small creative business. The big things hovering over me right now are setting up my Business Plan and refining my brand. T
CJ
Dec 19, 2012 CJ rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books
As the owner of a small (very small) business, I’ve often wished that I had a friend who could hold my hand and help me with all the details necessary to making that business successful. Kari Chapin does that admirably with this little book. She’s walked these hallways and she very generously put what she learned into a really convenient package.

Grow Your Handmade Business is split into two parts – figuring out what your dream is and figuring out how to make it a reality. Chapin has questions a
Jennifer Morris
Feb 11, 2015 Jennifer Morris rated it it was ok
This book was not at all what I expected it to be. That said, I still found it to be boring, and mundane. The entire book was about making a business plan for your hobby, but no information about how to achieve anything in the plan. The author should have taken more time to give examples and direction on how to take steps to fulfill the basic goals associated with this type of business model.
Heidi
Nov 17, 2015 Heidi rated it liked it
Kari writes about developing a business plan for your creative business in a very approachable manner. Her insights into how creative brains work (and resist work) was spot-on for me. I loved that she included several other artists and makers and their experiences and advice added so much to the book. A must-read for anyone trying to make a creative business (like mine!) work.
Jenny
Mar 30, 2015 Jenny rated it it was amazing
What a lovely, comprehensive book. This would be essentially helpful to someone just starting out. Yet, it also caused me to think a little more intentionally about what I am already doing with my business at www.CarroTopStudio.com. Well done Kari Chapin!
Trish
Feb 15, 2014 Trish rated it it was ok
Not quite what I was hoping for. I felt the book was more of a supporter for your creativeness but not so much helpful info to help you "grow". Lots of focus on developing a business plan, which I am beyond.
Milka
Aug 19, 2014 Milka rated it really liked it
This is a good follow-up to The Handmade Marketplace, where Chapin goes into more details on how to grow your business once you've started it. Nothing in there is rocket science and makes it easy to implement once you're ready to take those steps.
Larissa
Mar 11, 2013 Larissa rated it it was amazing
Thank you Kari Chapin for writing a business book for people who are starting small and are creative! I learned tons from this book and I am fully intending to read "The Handmade Marketplace" as well.

Mostly what I loved about this book was how it broke things down into simple steps. For example, the "intentions, goals, tasks" model. Instead of focusing on a huge goal, instead you have an Intention and then goals under that, and then very simple tasks under that. I have a notebook with goals out
Rafia Shujaat
Dec 17, 2014 Rafia Shujaat rated it it was amazing
Kari has a very lightly way of explaining the most difficult decisions we have to make while running a small business. I have learned a lot. She teaches through experience.
AJ
Mar 12, 2014 AJ rated it it was amazing
I definitely recommend this book for anyone who is considering letting their creative ideas blossom into something more. I began looking through this book a few months ago, and since then, Kari's advice and wisdom has helped me really shape my endeavors into a business!

Kari provides insight on income, on websites, and even on all the terms and confusing things like taxes with which I had no idea where to even begin.

Definitely the book that got me started on my creative business. Now I'm going
Lisa
Oct 18, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Need to add this one to my library.
Ethan Jones
Jun 23, 2014 Ethan Jones rated it really liked it
Grow Your Handmade Business by Kari Chapin taught me an immense amount about business but I also found myself left with as many questions as answers after reading this book. Clearly this book is not the be-all and end-all of business books, but I think it has something to offer for most people interested in business. While somewhat juvenile in sections and overly repetitive in others, Chapin does a good job of outlining the basics of business and how to grow one from the point of view of an arti ...more
Anne
Mar 17, 2016 Anne marked it as craft-books
To re-check from library.
Kathryn Harriet
Feb 16, 2014 Kathryn Harriet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. I took a couple of pages of useful notes.
Deanna Lack
Mar 08, 2015 Deanna Lack rated it liked it
Some of the exercises in this book were very revealing for me but a lot of it didn't feel useful. Worth looking over but it was a lot about finding a mentor, hiring professionals, etc. that I really didn't need.
Katherine
May 27, 2016 Katherine rated it it was amazing
This book was great! It was more intended for someone who already has a business and wants to grow it instead of someone who has taken up a hobby and wants to try to make a little money off it. But it still gave me a lot of good things to think about. It also has a lot of nice writing prompts.
Ashley Coons
Jun 09, 2013 Ashley Coons rated it liked it
As an Etsy seller, I was hoping that it would give me tips on marketing and growing my business. However this book was about how to start a business and had nothing to do with handmade at all, so I felt the title was misleading. The only difference between this book and my college text books was this one used pretty font and pictures. It's a great reference for starting a business but not for what I wanted it for.
Roman
Jul 23, 2015 Roman rated it liked it
Book for total beginners. Don't be irritated by the title of this book.
Jodi
Jun 15, 2014 Jodi rated it liked it
I think this book is a solid introduction for someone who is just starting out. I'm looking forward to investigating the resources section at the end.
josh
May 23, 2013 josh rated it liked it
Not a bad read. Mostly the same info / guidance as other books of this type. However, I did appreciate the q&a session sections with individuals such as an attorney & CPA ~ this was helpful to gain an understanding of how they look at creative professionals and what a new craft business owner should look for / ask before entering into an agreement with them.
Debbie
Mar 03, 2015 Debbie rated it really liked it
Very useful advice on how to grow and develop personally as your business flourishes. Good guidance on the ins and outs of selling handcrafted products and how to use the social media to your advantage. I need to go back through it and do the exercises a few months down the line to see if any of my plans for world domination need tweaking. ;)
Saija
Aug 20, 2013 Saija rated it liked it
I didn't find it to be as useful as its predecessor was, but I would still recommend it nonetheless! As a small business owner starting out you need all the information you can get, and this book is still a good tool.

(Her first book though, was absolutely fantastic, and I recommend having read that one first before this one)
Felicia
Jan 14, 2013 Felicia rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this more, but I found a lot of the information to be very basic. Maybe if this is your first month or two in business this would be of more help. There really wasn't enough coverage for online based businesses for this to be worth reading for me personally.
Cecile Hibbs
Jan 29, 2013 Cecile Hibbs rated it it was amazing
Kari Chapin's second book carries on the tradition of being incredibly easy to understand and follow. A wealth of fantastic advice for creative people interested in starting their own small business/creative side venture.
Natalie
Dec 16, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it
This book compiles everything I've read about starting a small creative business into one easy to digest handbook. Perfect for someone just beginning their research or anyone in need of some small business clarity.
Jan Waller
Aug 18, 2012 Jan Waller marked it as to-read

Yet another business book for the worst business woman on the planet. I think I'm going to write a blog post about all these businessy books I've read. That and find a support group to break the habit.
Audra
Jul 08, 2015 Audra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, crafts-business
Great information! I think anyone starting a home based business could benefit from this book, but it is definitely geared for Handmade. I recommend for all Handmade business owners to read.
  • How to Sell Your Crafts Online: A Step-by-Step Guide to Successful Sales on Etsy and Beyond
  • Etsy-Preneurship: Everything You Need to Know to Turn Your Handmade Hobby Into a Thriving Business
  • Crafty Superstar: Make Crafts on the Side, Earn Extra Cash, and Basically Have It All
  • Craft, Inc.: Turn Your Creative Hobby into a Business
  • Handmade to Sell: Hello Craft's Guide to Owning, Running, and Growing Your Crafty Biz
  • How to Make Money Using Etsy: A Guide to the Online Marketplace for Crafts and Handmade Products
  • The Right-Brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success
  • I Just Like to Make Things: Learn the Secrets to Making Money while Staying Passionate about your Art and Craft
  • Legal Guide for Starting & Running a Small Business
  • Playing with Image Transfers: Exploring Creative Imagery for Use in Art, Mixed Media, and Design
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business
  • Craft Activism: People, Ideas, and Projects from the New Community of Handmade and How You Can Join In
  • The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos: The Best Techniques for Showcasing Your Handmade Creations
  • Starting an Etsy Business for Dummies
  • Journal It!: Perspectives in Creative Journaling
  • Improv Sewing: A Freeform Approach to Creative Techniques; 101 Fast, Fun, and Fearless Projects: Dresses, Tunics, Scarves, Skirts, Accessories, Pillows, Curtains, and More
  • Wise Craft: Turning Thrift Store Finds, Fabric Scraps, and Natural Objects Into Stuff You Love
  • Connect the Shapes Crochet Motifs: Creative Techniques for Joining Motifs of All Shapes