Sunset Bay

Sunset Bay

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  949 ratings  ·  46 reviews
L.A. accountant Megan Greene has a successful job, a handsome cardiologist fianc, and a doting father. Surely they make up for her estranged sister and hypochondriac mother...and a niggling sense that something, somewhere, got lost along the way. But then Megan's life falls spectacularly apart. Faced with the knowledge that neither her father nor her fianc are the men she...more
Audio
Published November 1st 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published February 11th 2009)

Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release March 2009

What does a woman do when the emotional ‘props’ in her life disappear—one by one? Susan Mallery is one of my favorite authors and her books always linger in my mind after I’ve finished reading them. It seems there’s always something about her female heroines that I can identify with and wonder, “What would I do if I were her?”. “Sunset Bay” is Mallery’s latest novel which will be released in March 2009. It didn’t take long for this story to...more
Isis FG
Rating: 4.5 / 5

I waffled on reading this book so many times. I picked it up and put it down in the store at least 4 times before finally deciding to buy it. Then even after I did buy it I kept putting off reading it. I'm not even really sure why; I just wasn't sure that I would like the book. But I finally made myself start reading. And ended up loving the book.

In Sunset Bay, Megan Greene grew up in a dysfunctional family...with an extraordinarily beautiful, drama queen mother who treated Megan,...more
Jeannie Eadens
Sunset Bay is one of Mallery's best, and I already loved her books. Megan Greene saw her father and her fiance as the best parts of her life. Solid and steady, or so she thought. She was sure of their love. Her life is turned upside down when she discovers that both men, each in their own way, have turned their backs on her. Can she expect support from her infuriating mother and from the sister who isn't quite the brat she remembers?

When she reconnects with sexy Travis, things begin to look up....more
Shxrxn
Travis was her fal en angel, and if being with him meant going to hel , then she was ready to walk through fire.
- Megan
So we both ran, only I did it standing still.
- Megan
Liquor always helps.
- Leanne
Ten years ago I wasn’t close to ready. You pushed and I totally freaked out. We were too young. We would have crashed and burned. We may stil . The difference is this time I know it’s worth trying for. I’m willing to give my whole heart, Travis. It’s yours. Forever. I’m serious about this, about us....more
Ginny
Just started. Probably going to be an OK book, though I don't always like some of the language, it isn't as bad as some I have seen. I'll rate it when I am finished.
3/26 Well I had to finish it just because I had to know what happened.
However, I wouldn't recommend this book because the author cannot tell a story with out vivid sex descriptions and foul language. I hate that they think we are not smart enough to enjoy a story without it.
sanctuary angel  pettyfer
Okay I tried to make my first review in English. This is far from perfect, I hope you understand ^^.

This book tells about a new dilemma for girls growing up, which was isolated from family and school environment. Megan is a girl with red hair, which she considered herself not beautiful like her sister.

Although her mother did not like Megan remained cheerful because there is a loving father. And have a friend with the same boat. Megan has a boyfriend who is accused of murder. Megan really liked T...more
Darcy
I wasn't sure I was going to like this one when it started out. The young Megan wasn't all that interesting and so cowed by her family. At this point I hated the mom and sister and was glad that she had her dad, that there was someone that cared about her. Even when she had to make her big choice you knew she wouldn't choose Travis.

Fast forward 10 years and Megan is still bland. working as an accountant, getting married. I was with Megan with how I thought of the sister, in fact when she was in...more
Jill Dunlop
Megan Greene's life is going just the way she wants it. She has a successful accounting job at a prominent firm, and she is getting married in two weeks to a handsome cardiologist. Her mother is a self-centered hypochondriac, but that's okay because she has her father to make up for it. They have always had a very close relationship. Just as Megan thinks how perfect her life is, she gets an unexpected visit from a lawyer and receives the shock of her life. Right before her very eyes, all she hol...more
Angie Outland
This book is the first book I’ve read by Susan Mallery. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It contains all the elements I enjoy in a novel; romance, drama, mystery and action! I couldn’t put the book down. From the beginning, Susan caught my attention and kept me engaged through the entire book.

SUNSET BAY is the story about Megan Greene who feels she doesn’t fit into her dramatic and dysfunctional family. With the turn of each page, we see Megan cope with issues in her life and watch her progress...more
Trang Nguyen
Travis is a really bad boy who has fallen for his high school crush, Megan. Megan is an innocent average looking teen who is inexperienced to anything that Travis has to show her. The two young teens fall madly in love with each other and want to follow their dreams when they are forced to choose, stay together or go their seperate ways....

Ten years later as mature adults with their own lives and careers they run into each other unexpectedly. The passion between Travis and Megan is still there h...more
Cenna Lipscomb
This book was really sad in so many ways. Travis it seemed couldn't catch a break. Being sent to prison for trying to help someone doesn't hardly seem fair but it happens more than people realize. I guess that is why my husband doesn't voluntarily help anyone anymore because of horror stories about doctors getting sued for helping.( He is a physician) Megan's is a strong female despite having such a self absorbed mother and a jealous brat of a lil sister, helped to prepare her for her challenges...more
Carrie Zagzebski
For my complete review, go to www.letusread325.blogspot.com

I am a huge Susan Mallery fan, but this one fell flat for me. I am a sucker for a good romance and I just didn't feel like this one delivered. It was wayyyyy to unbelievable. Even by Romance Novel standards. I loved the summary of this. In reading that, it was right up my alley. It was a quick read, I read this in about 3 days. I did hold my interest, all things considered. But it just wasn't one of my favorites.
Ian
This book reminded me a little of the bible story of Job. Megan is a successful accountant, she's engaged to a cardiologist, and her father dotes on her. Then out of the blue she discovers something about herself and all the things she rely on start to get stripped away.

Through it she finds that those she relied on aren't all that reliable and those she didn't trust are the most trustworthy of all.

I quite liked this book. I liked that things were left unresolved, that through all her difficult...more
Kathy Anne
I guess I was put off with the characters,the plot was
ok,but their didn`t seem to be much warmth and love even between the H/h,let alone the rest of this somewhat dysfunctinal family.
Anyway I never did really relate to them and the meaness started wearing on me quickly(the Mom and sister from hell ),and I did find it hard to believe the Dad`s 180 and loving his wife because of the arm candy-tho when did she ever get out of bed?
Janelle
Im a huge fan of Susan Mallery. I love most of her books and can't seem to put them down as I begin to read them. This is my least favorite book. It just seem more like a long essay then a whole book.
The main character Megan ends the book with unresloved issues with her mother and father. It started the same way. Her romance with Travis is superfical and is a teenage angst romance that doesn't seem to grow with time.
Jess
This one was just okay. It didn't have the same sense of adventure as her other books do. I found a lot of the characters to be whiny and a little over the top. The mother in this story I wanted to wallop over the head with an umbrella, the father was ridiculous and the two sisters were annoying at best.

I think I will stick to Mallery's series books, they seem to not annoy me as much lol.
Ty
Wow this is a book to remember. This heroine just kept getting blow after blow. I enjoyed how she was strong and overcame the obsticles. I really enjoyed the relationship of the sisters as they struggled you could feel how each felt and how they were dealing with the changes. The dad was a suprising character. Thats about all I can say without ruining the book.
Barbara
Was a good read but a little too descriptive during the sex scenes. Sometimes it's better if we can imagine it rather than have EVERY detail! JMHO
L8blmr
I really enjoyed this book. It was a reunion-between-former-sweethearts story, but more. Was all of it believable? Not really, especially in the end where everything works out beautifully (in an over-the-top way) for everyone character in the book, but it was an effortless read as the writing flowed so well, and made me WANT to believe in such HEA's.
Maria
This book spent nearly half the pages setting up the scene for the "relationship", which I thought was entirely too long. The characters were interesting if a bit stereotypical and the dialogue good. I was a little disappointed on the whole, but I also noticed that I had trouble putting it down, so the pace was great.
Gary Malcolm
Believable characters, plausible romance and a fun but not overruling plotline. There's a little too much of the fantasy taking over (new boy, new career, new family...) and I can do without the throbbing and spasms but I'll give the two thumbs up as I really only came out of my suspension of disbelief on a few occasions.
Toni Wulfekuhl
Megan chose family over her "true love" many yrs ago. Now engaged to a Dr, her life as she knows it is not what it seems. Dr is a cheat, Father is not her father, mother is self centered hypochondriac, but Travis is back and her beautiful self centered sister is her ally.
penelopewanders
Quick light read, entertaining. Daring to dare and follow dreams, trusting in love? Certain parts of the plot are very predictable, certain aspects, such as the father-daughter relationship are not quite so. Stayed up way too late reading this in more or less one sitting.
Jodi
I really liked the love story between Megan and Travis while dealing with other family issues. I think the character of Leanne could have been diminished, I found the stories of her working boring. I did really enjoy the book, though.
Doneen
There needs to be a star for "hated it." I don't know how this book ever got on my "to read" list. Its only saving grace was that if you skip all the repetitive and overwrought sex scenes, it only took about 20 minutes to read.
Sally
Young love, good friends, delightful and heartwarming book from this delightful author. I put Susan Mallery right up there with Luanne Rice for bringing people to life and involving us in their stories.
Jamie
While I like this book, I was a bit disappointed by it as well. Characters are underdeveloped and it felt rushed. Then again it's a romance novel... nuff said.
Debbie
I was really hoping to like this one but there was just way too much drama from other characters and not enough romance or other interaction between hero and heroine
Kris Mcconville
This is wonderfully written. The reader just wants to jump in and help Megan as her world falls down around her. I've been routing for Travis since page 1.
  • Summer Brides (includes Fool's Gold, #2.5)
  • When She's Bad (Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • Dirty Sexy Knitting (Malibu and Ewe #3)
  • The Knitting Diaries: The Twenty-First Wish\Coming Unraveled\Return to Summer Island
  • The Girl Most Likely To...
  • Seaview Inn
  • Twisted Creek
  • Simply Sexy (Simply #5)
  • Danger in a Red Dress (Fortune Hunter #4)
  • Summer of Two Wishes (Cedar Springs #1)
  • Shattered (High Risk, #3)
  • Second Chance Pass (Virgin River, #5)
  • Hot & Bothered (Marine, #3)
  • All of Me (Wedding Veil Wishes, #4)
  • Every Demon Has His Day (Demon, #1)
With more than 25 million books sold worldwide, New York Times bestselling author Susan Mallery is known for creating characters who feel as real as the folks next door, and for putting them into emotional, often funny situations readers recognize from their own lives. Susan’s books have made Booklist’s Top 10 Romances list in four out of five consecutive years. RT Book Reviews says, “When it come...more
More about Susan Mallery...
Chasing Perfect (Fool's Gold, #1) Only Mine (Fool's Gold, #4) Only Yours (Fool's Gold, #5) Almost Perfect (Fool’s Gold, #2) Finding Perfect (Fool's Gold, #3)