Start by marking “The Candle and the Crossroads: A Book of Appalachian Conjure and Southern Root-Work” as Want to Read:

Learn the ways of magic and healing from the living, oral tradition of Appalachian Conjure in "The Candle and the Crossroads." Orion Foxwood offers a primer on the real magic and techniques of Southern root magic, knowledge he learned first-hand growing up in rural Appalachia.Foxwood explains magical techniques including:
Spirit SightWorking by the Signs (the ability to sy
Published December 1st 2012 by Weiser Books

To ask other readers questions about The Candle and the Crossroads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Candle and the Crossroads

Stephanie
Aug 25, 2013 Stephanie rated it did not like it
I was very disappointed with this book. While the subject of Hoodoo has been made significantly more accessible for casual readers (particularly those coming from a Wiccan tradition), it has lost much in the translation.

The author's previous training in Alexandrian Wicca is clear; and may be quite useful in and of itself, but make no doubt that this is from his own teaching outside of Hoodoo, and the early portions of the book have virtually nothing to do with the Hoodoo path.

In addition, I felt
Onyx
Jun 28, 2013 Onyx rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: those interested in spiritwalking and conservative spirituality
It was like sitting in a Pentecostal church service, listing to a minister, except I was reading the message.
Maybe it's because I've been to a few too many Pentecostal and charismatic churches and masses that I can't appreciate a book like this. I'm extremely surprised at the reviewers' comments in the front of the book. Some of these critics I recognize, and almost all of those I respect. If they were making comments about real Evangelical Protestantism, I seriously doubt that their comments w
Loona Wynd
This is one of the most powerful books I have read in recent history on spirituality in general. While yes the book focuses on Rootwork and Conjure as the author knows them, the book is highly spiritually focused. For me even if I don't put all of the information into practice, the components of the book that made me question spirituality and what it means were well worth the investment.

So to begin my review I have to say that even if you don't follow any magical spiritual path as a guide for sp
Nicole
Feb 01, 2014 Nicole rated it liked it
Just finished this book tonight, and I have to say that the second half of the book grabbed my attention. The second half of the book is the only reason it received 3 stars from me instead of 2. The author is a very engaging writer; however, in many passages he comes off sounding quite arrogant. I felt like he thinks he is some sort of spiritual guru that has to teach the rest of us dumb sheep the right way to do things with our own souls...NOT! Orion Foxwood also tells us the spirits that we sh ...more
Chaeya
Jul 06, 2013 Chaeya rated it really liked it
I was quite satisfied with this book, coming from my background of incorporating the many different systems of magic. Hoo Doo and the system of Vodou/Voodoo have been those that interested me on one level, but never wanted to practice on another. In essence, I respect them for what they are. So coming from this standpoint, this book is a nice read and can give you an interesting glimpse into that world.

This book was never meant to be an instructional guide on how to do Hoo Doo, so if you're expe
shartyrant
Feb 07, 2015 shartyrant rated it did not like it
Please note that my 1 star rating comes from the the fact I bought it thinking it would be about local APPALACHIAN thoughts, customs, practices. I was expecting more about what local appalachian folk would do and possibly why and the origins of it. Instead, it felt like I purchased a book based on the practices of hoodoo workers from the Louisiana area or thereabouts. I know very little about hoodoo/voodoo or this type of practice so I cannot judge really on the accuracy of his writing in regard ...more
Spider Goddess
May 06, 2013 Spider Goddess rated it it was amazing
I truly am a fan of the author. His writing style conveys a great deal of information in a very informative, yet entertaining, manner. I have read his previous books and were really taken with them. However, I feel that this book has a sense of his enthusiasm for the topic that the previous books did not seem to have present as intensely.

In this book, Foxwood integrated the spiritual traditions that he has been trained in and raised with. He is able to integrate the similarities and form a cohes
Cameron
Apr 26, 2014 Cameron rated it liked it
This was interesting for me in terms of the narrative rather than the actual practices. I found books like the Haitian Vodou Handbook to have far more information on practices or as an example of a primer. So I was disappointed when I chose this book specifically on Southern root-work/Appalachian conjure hoping to find things for unaffiliated practitioners or people interested in folk magic in the context of Southern culture. It seems one has to buy more books for further information. Not quite ...more
N.E. Johnson
Mar 20, 2016 N.E. Johnson rated it it was amazing
It is well written easy to read voice to the writing, sometimes to easy as my mind would regularly wonder. The first half if rather generic spiritual advice if not down right psychological advice. The end of the book gets into the specific beliefs, spirits, rituals, metaphors, and practices of conjure. I would rate this a 3 or 4 star book but one of the lines hit me hard and brought me to a mildly life changing existential experience so it gets some bonus points for that.
Eric
This was an interesting look at a lot of old Appalachian customs. It's well written, accessable and not corny. I crusied through it and read the bits that jumped out at me. Overall, good stuff and I'd revisit it.
Rowena Whaling
Dec 30, 2015 Rowena Whaling rated it it was amazing
This book is great! I recommend it to everyone interested in Conjure, Root-work, Shamanism, Herbology... well just to everyone! Orion Foxwood is amazing! Check out all of his books & go to one (or more) of his workshops.
By Rowena Whaling, Author
Felicia Littlejohn

A wonderfully written book. Reminded me how to reconnect to my spirit. Very detailed and is not fear based. Gives honor to the ancestors and the culture.
Tchipakkan
Tchipakkan rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2013
Acacia
Acacia rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2013
Benjamin Gass
Benjamin Gass rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2014
Patricia Awen Fey O'Luanaigh
Patricia Awen Fey O'Luanaigh rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Kathy Cybele
Kathy Cybele rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2014
O.
O. rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Christian Gilson
Christian Gilson rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Jesse
Jesse rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Lily Shahar Kunning
Lily Shahar Kunning rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2015
MacKenzie Rae
MacKenzie Rae rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Allie
Allie rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Green Heart Guidance
Green Heart Guidance rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2014
Missy Kunzi
Missy Kunzi rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2015
Stevi
Stevi rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2013
Siduri
Siduri rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Joseph
Joseph rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
Annazon Sparkle
Annazon Sparkle rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2015
  • Mrs. B's Guide to Household Witchery: Everyday Magic, Spells, and Recipes
  • The Goddess is in the Details: Wisdom for the Everyday Witch
  • Green Witchcraft III: The Manual
  • Craft of the Wild Witch: Green Spirituality & Natural Enchantment
  • Power Spellcraft for Life: The Art of Crafting and Casting for Positive Change
  • Whispers from the Woods: The Lore & Magic of Trees
  • The Living Temple of Witchcraft: The Journey of the God (Temple of Witchcraft, #6; Living Temple of Witchcraft, #2)
  • The Witch's Bag of Tricks: Personalize Your Magick & Kickstart Your Craft
  • Seasons of Witchery: Celebrating the Sabbats with the Garden Witch
  • Hooked: When Addiction Hits Home
  • Spiritual Cleansing: A Handbook of Psychic Self-Protection
  • Natural Witchcraft: The Timeless Arts and Crafts of the Country Witch
  • Spirit of the Witch: Religion & Spirituality in Contemporary Witchcraft
  • Tempestuous Eden
  • Kissing the Limitless: Deep Magic and the Great Work of Transforming Yourself and the World