The Loon's Necklace

The Loon's Necklace

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  5 reviews
According to Canadian Indian legend, when an old man's sight was restored by a Loon he gave the bird his precious shell necklace as a reward. That is why the loon has a white collar and speckles on its back.
Elizabeth Cleaver's rich and beautiful style of picture-making gives new visual excitement to the splendors of the British Columbia landscape, and to the magic of this...more
Published August 2nd 1990 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published April 28th 1988)

Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierThe Silver Chair by C.S. LewisThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienBy the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Jewelry Box
280th out of 306 books — 53 voters
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Outsiders by S.E. HintonIsland of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
YA Beyond the Gum Tree
54th out of 55 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU.

An old woman tricks a blind man. The blind man feels he is useless to his family. His friend, Loon, knows his sadness and comes to help.

“O Loon I am old and blind. My family are starving and I can’t feed them. I do not ask to be young, but I would not be so helpless if I could see. I would give my most precious possession to see again.”

Fjóla
A bit underwhelmed by this story which feels dated. It's a folk story about the loon, but it's a tad dull and the pictures which might have been fine at the time of publication are not all that great. I thought the parts about the "hag" were quite strange.
Linda
A Canadian Indian tale of how the loon got it's speckled white necklace of feathers. The collage and lino cut pictures look like they have texture and depth, so even though they're very muted in tones they still keep your eyes interested. 5yo +
Kyrie
I liked the part explaining how the loon got its necklace and colors. The parts about the meanness of the old hag I didn't care for. The illustrations were okay.
Melissa
Aug 26, 2011 Melissa added it
Shelves: kids
Canadian author

The Loon, is the animal symbol of the Great Lakes, Ontario, CANADA
Christina Packard
Christina Packard marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Darlene
Darlene marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Tsehynesh
Tsehynesh marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Celia Silva-desousa
Celia Silva-desousa marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Shalini Noronha
Shalini Noronha marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2013
Lorena Martínez
Lorena Martínez marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2013
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2012
Petrouchka The Enchanted Caribou The Enchanted Caribou How Summer Came to Canada The miraculous hind: A Hungarian legend