Start by marking “The Saint Who Would Be Santa Claus: The True Life and Trials of Nicholas of Myra” as Want to Read:

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  42 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
With his rosy cheeks and matching red suit and ever-present elf and reindeer companions Santa Claus may be the most identifiable of fantastical characters. But what do we really know of jolly old Saint Nicholas, "patron saint" of Christmastime? Ask about the human behind the suit, and the tale we know so well quickly fades into myth and folklore.

In "The Saint Who Would Be
Published November 1st 2012 by Baylor University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Saint Who Would Be Santa Claus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saint Who Would Be Santa Claus

Alexis Neal
An excerpt of a review recently posted on Schaeffer's Ghost:
This is, I think, a great reminder to Christians of the importance of humble, everyday acts of obedience. Most of us will never participate in or even witness a physical miracle. We can’t calm the sea for endangered sailors or multiply the supply of wheat or ooze magical healing goo from our tombs, as Saint Nicholas is rumored to have done. And even if we have the opportunity to punch a heretic, it might be best to abstain (criminal ass
Meagen Farrell
Jan 05, 2016 Meagen Farrell rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
After dozens of kid's books on Old St Nick that are pure fantasy, I wanted something more historically accurate. This is the best I have found in this category, though it is more about the history of legends about St Nicholas of Myra than a true record of his life. I found the author flipped rather loosely between imagination and historical documents. At the same time, the vivid stories depicted several tumultuous period of Christian history. In addition to the lovable gift giver, St Nick's pote ...more
Charles
Dec 25, 2013 Charles rated it liked it
Saint Nicholas left future generations only slightly more than Jesus Christ to work with for constructing a biography. Whatever he wrote, his tax returns, proof of purchase for vestments, legal deeds and titles are all lost to the sands of time. Yet 1,700 years on his fame spans the globe either as the man himself or as his one-dimensional alter ego Santa Claus. Critics and humbugs dismiss both men as fabrications, but is it so? Was there a real man behind the myth?

This book takes what little th
Lynden Rodriguez
The Saint Who Would Be Santa Claus by Adam C. English is a hagiography of Saint Nicholas of Myra, a Byzantine Saint who lived through the Christian persecutions, and the reign of Emperor Constantine, a Christian ruler who mandated Christianity to be the state religion of the Roman Empire. He is also said to have been in attendance during the first Catholic conferences at Nicea, wherein the tenants of the faith were solidified, and where the Nicene Creed was established (Nicene-Constantinopolitan ...more
Bob
Oct 22, 2014 Bob rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas-books
I usually try to read an upbeat book during advent directed at the Christmas season. I started this book last year at that time, unfortunately it was not quite what I was looking for, so I went onto something else and set this book aside to and ended up finishing it this year. Nonetheless, it is a valuable book. It is a historical review that looks at the legend of Saint Nicholas and compares it to research about the era and locale where he lived. The results are quite interesting.
Michael
Dec 03, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
Many of the books about good old "Saint Nicholas" confuse two very different persons. The difference is a subtle one. The term "saint" in Greek can be translated "osios" or "hagios" but in ancient times had a subtle distinction. "Osios" was used to describe ascetic and monastic saints, and "hagios" was used to describe martyurs and churchmen. Thus until recently there has been a great deal of confusion between Nicholas of Myra (ca. 300) and Nicholas of Sion (ca. 600). The two both lived in proxi ...more
Jason Green
Dec 27, 2014 Jason Green rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
There is no doubt that Saint Nicholas did exist and that he was a faithful, God-fearing man. He was a defender of those who could not defend themselves. But more importantly, he was a fearless defender of Christianity. While this book gives great detail about Saint Nicholas and even explains how the current popular image of Santa Claus came to be, it doesn't do a great job of connecting the two. I would love to see a follow-up about the birth of the modern Santa Claus and how he came to be conne ...more
David Uptagrafft
May 11, 2014 David Uptagrafft rated it really liked it
Recommended to David by: my Mother
Insightful about reverence and tails of early saints. Shed light on practices of relic veneration to me. No idea about the origin of pawn shop symbol, also pointed me to the book on infant baptism I read next.
Michael Ritchie
Dec 12, 2012 Michael Ritchie rated it liked it
Study of the life of the historical Saint Nicholas. Uses lots of sources, but because the hard and fast facts of his life are few (and he gets mixed up with another Nicholas), this winds up being mostly a book about what a man of his class and calling might have lived like, rather than what he really did. Still, once you catch on, it's interesting. Surprisingly little material which connects Nicholas with the figure of Santa Claus.
Annie
Jun 14, 2015 Annie rated it really liked it
Well, I didn't actually finish this book before it had to go back to the library. What I did read of it was very good, though. It even initiated a night of scripture study when I got to the part about the Council of Nicea and their debate and eventual decision about the Holy Trinity. I would recommend it.
Bob
Feb 14, 2013 Bob added it
Shelves: history
Excellent comprehensive history for anyone wanting to know about the real Saint Nicholas. I used this as the basis for a Christmas Eve sermon on the real Saint Nicholas as a true follower of Christ. The image of Saint Nick punching out Arius at the Council of Nicea is rich! No mere "jolly old elf" here!
Paul
Dec 28, 2013 Paul rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Dry is an overstatement and this coming from someone who reads a lot of non-fiction. That said provided an interesting look into early church history through the backstory of one saint.
Kim Childress
Nov 17, 2012 Kim Childress rated it really liked it
Now when your kids ask if there really is a Santa Clause, you can say yes! And let me tell you about him… Very interesting to learn about the real person behind the legend. For more of my reviews, visit my web site, ChildressInk.
Kevin Glenn
Dec 14, 2013 Kevin Glenn rated it it was amazing
In a society that sees Santa as little more than a vending machine foor our consumption, the story of Nicholas of Myra is a refreshing account of selflessness, courage, compassion, and inspiration.
Katharine Holden
Aug 11, 2013 Katharine Holden rated it liked it
Interesting.
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Linda  Arnsdorf
Linda Arnsdorf marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Chet Duke
Chet Duke marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Infoprokarl
Infoprokarl marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Deborah Maroulis
Deborah Maroulis rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Becki
Becki marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Sheila
Sheila added it
Jan 19, 2016
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Michael Decamp
Michael Decamp rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016