The Saint Who Would Be Santa Claus: The True Life and Trials of Nicholas of Myra

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  11 reviews
With his rosy cheeks and matching red suit--and ever-present elf and reindeer companions--Santa Claus may be the most identifiable of fantastical characters. But what do we really know of jolly old Saint Nicholas, "patron saint" of Christmastime? Ask about the human behind the suit, and the tale we know so well quickly fades into myth and folklore.

In The Saint Who Would B...more
Published November 1st 2012 by Baylor University Press

Alexis Neal
An excerpt of a review recently posted on Schaeffer's Ghost:
This is, I think, a great reminder to Christians of the importance of humble, everyday acts of obedience. Most of us will never participate in or even witness a physical miracle. We can’t calm the sea for endangered sailors or multiply the supply of wheat or ooze magical healing goo from our tombs, as Saint Nicholas is rumored to have done. And even if we have the opportunity to punch a heretic, it might be best to abstain (criminal ass
Charles
Saint Nicholas left future generations only slightly more than Jesus Christ to work with for constructing a biography. Whatever he wrote, his tax returns, proof of purchase for vestments, legal deeds and titles are all lost to the sands of time. Yet 1,700 years on his fame spans the globe either as the man himself or as his one-dimensional alter ego Santa Claus. Critics and humbugs dismiss both men as fabrications, but is it so? Was there a real man behind the myth?

This book takes what little th...more
Lynden Rodriguez
The Saint Who Would Be Santa Claus by Adam C. English is a hagiography of Saint Nicholas of Myra, a Byzantine Saint who lived through the Christian persecutions, and the reign of Emperor Constantine, a Christian ruler who mandated Christianity to be the state religion of the Roman Empire. He is also said to have been in attendance during the first Catholic conferences at Nicea, wherein the tenants of the faith were solidified, and where the Nicene Creed was established (Nicene-Constantinopolitan...more
Michael
Many of the books about good old "Saint Nicholas" confuse two very different persons. The difference is a subtle one. The term "saint" in Greek can be translated "osios" or "hagios" but in ancient times had a subtle distinction. "Osios" was used to describe ascetic and monastic saints, and "hagios" was used to describe martyurs and churchmen. Thus until recently there has been a great deal of confusion between Nicholas of Myra (ca. 300) and Nicholas of Sion (ca. 600). The two both lived in proxi...more
David Uptagrafft
May 11, 2014 David Uptagrafft rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to David by: my Mother
Insightful about reverence and tails of early saints. Shed light on practices of relic veneration to me. No idea about the origin of pawn shop symbol, also pointed me to the book on infant baptism I read next.
Michael Ritchie
Study of the life of the historical Saint Nicholas. Uses lots of sources, but because the hard and fast facts of his life are few (and he gets mixed up with another Nicholas), this winds up being mostly a book about what a man of his class and calling might have lived like, rather than what he really did. Still, once you catch on, it's interesting. Surprisingly little material which connects Nicholas with the figure of Santa Claus.
Bob
Feb 14, 2013 Bob added it
Shelves: history
Excellent comprehensive history for anyone wanting to know about the real Saint Nicholas. I used this as the basis for a Christmas Eve sermon on the real Saint Nicholas as a true follower of Christ. The image of Saint Nick punching out Arius at the Council of Nicea is rich! No mere "jolly old elf" here!
Paul
Dec 28, 2013 Paul rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Dry is an overstatement and this coming from someone who reads a lot of non-fiction. That said provided an interesting look into early church history through the backstory of one saint.
Kim Childress
Now when your kids ask if there really is a Santa Clause, you can say yes! And let me tell you about him… Very interesting to learn about the real person behind the legend. For more of my reviews, visit my web site, ChildressInk.
Kevin Glenn
In a society that sees Santa as little more than a vending machine foor our consumption, the story of Nicholas of Myra is a refreshing account of selflessness, courage, compassion, and inspiration.
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Jacob Walker
Jacob Walker marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Thereasa Gwinn
Thereasa Gwinn marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Elisabeth G. Wolfe
Elisabeth G. Wolfe marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Kevin Cott
Kevin Cott is currently reading it
Dec 26, 2013
Gretchen Conrad
Gretchen Conrad marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Laurilie
Laurilie marked it as to-read
Marcia
Marcia marked it as to-read
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Tammie Tesone
Tammie Tesone marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
David Turnbull
David Turnbull marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Theology Remixed: Christianity as Story, Game, Language, Culture The Possibility of Christian Philosophy: Maurice Blondel at the Intersection of Theology and Philosophy Pocket History of Theology