Start by marking “The Tree of Red Stars” as Want to Read:
The Tree of Red Stars

The Tree of Red Stars

Winner of the Milkweed National Fiction Prize and the Friends of America Writers Award in 1997, this vivid debut, set in Uruguay in the 1960s, charts the toll of political events on a young woman and those close to her, as their democracy is gradually taken over by a military dictatorship.
Published October 16th 1998 by Milkweed Editions (first published May 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Tree of Red Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tree of Red Stars

Margaret Azu
Jul 20, 2014 Margaret Azu rated it really liked it
I read The Tree of Red Stars by Tessa Bridal. This book was the story of a young girl named Magdalena and her growth. She lived in Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay, at a time when the government was turning to Communism. She lived a sheltered life in the upper class until she became interested in the political affairs of her country. Magda had aways been outgoing and curious. She often got herself into trouble and played pranks, but this was not nearly as dangerous as what she would encounter ...more
Chloe Johnson
Jul 17, 2015 Chloe Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-13-25
This is the story of Magda. She is a young girl who grows up in Uruguay during the political unrest of the 1960s and 70s. Magda must find her self and learn how to be a woman in a world where so much is changing. Her family and others are affected by violence and she her self eventually gets involved in the politics protesting teh government's dictatorship. While this is happening she falls in love and has experiences with friends and family that will forever shape her.

I love this book. Magda is
Alexis Kreun
May 25, 2016 Alexis Kreun rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Magdalena is a believable and likable main character, and her perceptive observations about the people and happenings in Uruguay helped me to feel like I was actually there with her and experiencing this tumultuous time in history along with her and her compañeros. The narration of this story had a good balance of levity and seriousness and dealt respectfully with some really heavy topics. It presented an alternative perspective to US intervention in Latin America wit ...more
Susan
Nov 03, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: uruguay
A moving book about Uruguay in the 60's when the Tupamaros battled the military dictatorship of the country. This books follows three privileged young women and their families as they grow into adolescents and young adulthood and the enormous disparities in their lives and those of the majority of the country become clear to them. The portrayal of the torture and tragedies experienced by countless people is heartbreaking. Yet, the relationships between the characters give the reader some kind of ...more
Rowland Bismark
Sep 16, 2010 Rowland Bismark rated it really liked it
The triumph of Tessa Bridal's 1997 novel, The Tree of Red Stars, is not that it introduces contemporary American readers to the political upheaval in Uruguay in the 1960s and 1970s. In fact, the political situation surrounding the events of the book is somewhat under-explained, left to function as a frightening shadow and not really examined in much detail. Like much in totalitarian countries, the political dynamic that drives the actions of the characters in this novel is shrouded behind a veil ...more
Karen
Jul 10, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
The first several chapters are charming vignettes narrated from a child's perspective--a glimpse at a privileged world, but never a completely sheltered one, as the character is exposed to many difficult realities--a neighboring family that escaped the Holocaust, strained relationships resulting from societal expectations (among them, that men will be men, and that women ought to look the other way when it comes to their indiscretions--and certainly never behave in a like manner), poverty, etc. ...more
Stephanie
Dec 27, 2007 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful and moving book. I bought it to give to my mother, but ended up reading it myself first. Since I have a personal connection to Uruguay, I particularly enjoyed the history of, and the scenes in, my mother's home country. The political struggles in the 60's and 70's and the fate of the "dissappeared" were hard for me to read because of my family connection. I traveled to Uruguay about a year after reading this novel, and the descriptions of the landscape and the people were so ...more
Carrie
Jun 09, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Carrie by: Erin Lucas
A debut novel and winner of the 1997 Milkweed Prize for Fiction: This book tells a story about love and ideals during Uruguay's takeover by military dictatorship in the 1960's.

Interesting and well written with a appearance of Che Guevara. It is surely worth the read. Although the novel has an inevitable conclusion, grand moments of human sacrifice make the story of young Magda compelling.

Author: Tessa Bridal
Publisher: Milkweed Editions
Copyright: 1997
Genre: Novel
Pages: 287
Date Read- 6/4/08 to 6/9
Steven Felicelli
Jul 23, 2016 Steven Felicelli rated it did not like it
I doubt there's a line of stilted, expository dialogue in this novel you couldn't find in a melodramatic 'prestige picture', nor a description you couldn't find (verbatim) in an undergrad's creative writing assignment.
Gloria
Apr 25, 2013 Gloria rated it liked it
Magda grows up in a privileged home in Montevideo, Uruguay. The first part of the novel takes us through her childhood life taking for granted the world she lives in. As the story progresses we learn more aboiut the larger picture - the politics of the nation and Latin America in general - until finally we are absorbed by it. An interesting window into a country we know little about. The writing flows well and makes for an easy read. Would be good for a discussion group, or for a class on Latin ...more
Jul 28, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
i was unprepared for the conclusion of this book, while it was not a complete surprise (thanks to a graduate school seminar on nationalism in latin america), it was poignant. i thoroughly enjoyed the episodic storytelling & retelling of childhood moments. i had the pleasure of speaking with the author. while strung together as a work of fiction, all of the stories in this novel are true - based on her experiences & the experiences of her friends & family in uruguay.
Mary
Nov 30, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
According to people in the Cranbury book group who have been there, this is a realistic portrayal of life in Uruguay during the sixties. Upper class life, life in the poorest shanties, political unrest in the universities. A coming of age story too. Noone has seen a poinsettia tree, but noone doubts it exists. Beautifully written story of two girls and their boy friends from age 7-8 to adulthood.
Patti
Jul 27, 2010 Patti rated it it was amazing
This is another book I discovered through the Milkweed National Fiction Prize list. This was an engrossing book that transported me to Uruguay with its physical beauty but mainly the beauty in the struggle of its people for freedom. The love, the bravery, the fear, and the double lives of the community of resisters all took my breath away.
Melissa
Dec 24, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
Insights into what inspires people to take political action, even when it appears to be against their own family and self-interest. See more at International Reads' blog about Uruguay.
Marilynn Mullen
Jun 28, 2012 Marilynn Mullen rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-discussion
My son read this in college and passed it on to me several years ago. I think I really needed to read this. I knew very little about the history of South American countries. I read more since then and my book group really enjoyed the book and discussion over a cup of matte tea.
Florence Primrose
Feb 06, 2012 Florence Primrose rated it liked it
This is an account, fictionalized, of the events of Uruguay under siege in the 1960s. The author puts the reader in Uruguay in the midst of the turmoil.
This was all new material for me and I found it very interesting, even though it was not as well- written as some books.
Nancy
Sep 01, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written novel about Uruguay in the tumultuous 60's. Wonderful characters and much color to the stories the main character relates. It's also a story of rebellion by the Tupamaros...a history I was not aware of. And there is love. I recommend this book!
Nancy H
Jan 31, 2012 Nancy H rated it really liked it
This is an extraordinary novel about Magdalena, who grew up in Uruguary during the 1960's and although from a wealthy family herself, became part of the revolution to seek justice for the poor.
Barb
Dec 14, 2009 Barb rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book - part coming of age and part discussion of the Uruguay political atmosphere. I would read another one by Miss Tessa, but couldn't find any - are they out there?
Elaine
May 05, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing
luminous prose, amazing descriptions, astonishing for a debut novel, with an ending that brought tears to my eyes - definitely worth reading.
Jarred
Apr 05, 2012 Jarred rated it really liked it
An assigned reading worth reading. The coming of age story of a young Uruguayan in the time leading up to the military dictatorship in Uruguay.
Bethany
May 20, 2013 Bethany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very thought provoking read concerning the downfall of democracy and the rise of dictatorship in Uruguay. Well written.
Johanna
Jun 04, 2008 Johanna rated it it was amazing
One of my personal favoorites. You simply have to read because my summary would not suffice to describe this novel.
Sue
Aug 22, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
I learned alot of interesting, and horrifying, information about what happened in Uruguay in the 70s.
Annah-Marie
Dec 12, 2013 Annah-Marie rated it it was amazing
Powerful, gut-wrenching story from a corner of the world that never receives enough attention.
Jesse
Mar 13, 2008 Jesse rated it it was amazing
Uraguay sounded like a nice place before i read this, now it's much more alluring
Chesney Schilling
Oct 04, 2008 Chesney Schilling rated it did not like it
I'm only reading it for school. There's a lot of things in it that are vulgar.
Joan
Oct 01, 2013 Joan rated it it was amazing
Personal: I almost burst into tears on the subway a few times :P
Chris
Feb 04, 2010 Chris rated it liked it
Interesting details of life in Uruguay in the 1960s.
Colleen
Dec 04, 2012 Colleen rated it it was amazing
This book actually made me cry. Beautiful story!
  • Outwitting the Gestapo
  • What Once We Loved (Kinship and Courage Series, #3)
  • A Far Country
  • Paris Tales
  • Gringo: A Coming of Age in Latin America
  • 1921: The Great Novel of the Irish Civil War
  • After Annie
  • A Diamond in the Desert: Behind the Scenes in Abu Dhabi, the World's Richest City
  • The Invisible Mountain
  • Triangular Road: A Memoir
  • Seal Woman
  • Autobiographie d'une Courgette
  • A Princess Found: An American Family, an African Chiefdom, and the Daughter Who Connected Them All
  • Wij, twee jongens
  • No Lost Causes
  • Death on the Marais (Lucas Rocco, #1)
  • Black Dog of Fate: An American Son Uncovers His Armenian Past
  • The Stout-Hearted Seven: Orphaned on the Oregon Trail (Sterling Point Books)