Start by marking “Garfield: His 9 Lives” as Want to Read:
Garfield:  His 9 Lives

Garfield: His 9 Lives

Garfield lives his life to the fullest . . . 9 times!
Cave Cat -- the first cat crawled out of the sea 10 million years ago. He was happy to be out of the water -- until he met Big Bob!
The Vikings -- he was big, he was mean, he was a Viking. Garfield the Orange had looted a lot of cities, but none like St. Paul, Minnesota.
Babes and Bullets -- Sam Spayed wasn't the best priv
Published October 12th 1984 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Garfield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Garfield

Aaron
Jun 06, 2013 Aaron rated it it was amazing
I've read this one many times, and I love it (and it freaks me out) every single time. My last read-through was maybe 10-15 years ago, and it still holds up (with the exception of "The Garden", the weakest story in the book). This is the best Garfield book, and well worth a read, whether you're a fan or not.
Lady Lioness
It's like Jim Davis got his staff together and said, "hey, draw me some fanart, will ya?" I read a review of this somewhere online. Hijinks Ensue, perhaps? In any case, I thought it looked interesting and I got it from my local library. The premise is simple: Garfield in nine different genres, each representing a different 'life,' arranged in loose chronological order. The book was published in 1984 so some of the stories are a little dated at this point.

Two of them stand out. 'Lab Animal' read
George
Jan 14, 2009 George rated it really liked it
It still seems incredible to me that the same guy who has churned out 30 years of a by-the-book, middle-of-the-road daily comic, which long ago sold its soul to the licensing gods, could have ever put out a mainstream graphic novel/comic collection as bizarre and perverse as this. This collection of nine short stories, each illustrated by a different artist, was a late childhood favorite of mine. The stories run the gamut from Argones style adventure comedy, to film noir parodies, psychedelic ...more
Korynn
Dec 16, 2008 Korynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cartoons
Wow, I dug this out of my kids books and re-read it and really appraised it as something ahead of its time. What this volume is is nine stories about the cartoon Garfield the cat without being explicitly in Garfield's style. Each story is very short but while many are silly, some are downright scary - such as the one about the cat vs primal nature or one about the cat that escapes from the experimental lab. My personal favorites are the Sam Spayed prose story (pulpy noir) and the Vikings (a very ...more
Gavin Boehm
May 11, 2011 Gavin Boehm rated it really liked it
Jim Davis and his pals took some drugs and brought our idea of Garfield to several new levels. We follow our favorite fat orange cat through the stone ages, the time of the vikings, a nice 1940s detective reality starring Garfield as Sam Spayed (loved the pun), a three stooges parody, a fun scientific experiment where a realistic Garfield gets experimented on and hunted down, a psychedelic garden trip, an evil version of the G-Cat, some modern day hi-jinks, and a super fun look into what the ...more
Adam
Sep 12, 2014 Adam rated it really liked it
I really loved six of these cute stories, but what I dislike is the time-travel and the 'primal self' cartoon. It was sooooo spooky! But I enjoyed others, like the comic-style pictures. I also despised the violence and horror!!!!! Anyway, the wonderful storylines did not interfere with the clarified manner and meaning of these 8 stories I really thought were interesting.
jacky
This book was eventually passed on to my brother, the comic collector. I read this book several times. It shows Garfield in each of his lives. There is a cave man one, a viking one, a scary one, a silly cutesy one, a pulp mystery one, his normal life with Jon, a space one, etc. I believe there was also a TV special of them all too.
Bodicainking
Nov 03, 2015 Bodicainking rated it it was amazing
I was alerted to this book by "Family Guy", and then discovered my wife had it in her extensive collection of comics.

It really is something of an opus, stretching from comedy to drama to horror, and is hard to explain without spoiling the pleasure of reading it cover-to-cover.
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2011
Libby Talbot
Libby Talbot rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Christina Turner
Christina Turner rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2014
James
James rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Christina Turner
Christina Turner rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
Jesse Baggs
Jesse Baggs rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Mr.
Mr. rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2013
Jarred Snowball
Jarred Snowball rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2013
Pauline
Pauline rated it liked it
May 02, 2011
Veronica Guzzardi
Veronica Guzzardi rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2011
Richard Gombert
Richard Gombert rated it it was ok
May 01, 2011
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2009
Alistair
Alistair rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2008
Jwmdude
Jwmdude rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2011
xXRossiya AruXx
xXRossiya AruXx rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2009
Amanda Wise
Amanda Wise rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2015
Pup
Pup rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2014
Summer Galloway
Summer Galloway rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was ok
Aug 15, 2010
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2015
  • Come Closer, Roger, There's a Mosquito on Your Nose
  • When Body Language Goes Bad
  • Hound of The Far Side
  • Pearls Blows Up: A Pearls Before Swine Treasury
  • One Last Little Peek, 1980-1995: The Final Strips, the Special Hits, the Inside Tips
  • Treasury of the Lost Litter Box: A Get Fuzzy Treasury
  • Minikin
  • Akbar and Jeff's Guide to Life
  • Frosty: A Raccoon to Remember
James Robert "Jim" Davis is an American cartoonist who created the popular comic strip Garfield. Other comics that he has worked on are Tumbleweeds, Gnorm Gnat, Slapstick, and a strip about Mr. Potato Head.

Jim Davis was born in Fairmount, Indiana, near Marion, where he grew up on a small farm with his father James William Davis, mother Anna Catherine (Carter) Davis, brother Dave, and 25 cats. Davi
More about Jim Davis...