Start by marking “Detection by Gaslight: 14 Victorian Detective Stories (Unabridged)” as Want to Read:
Detection by Gaslight: 14 Victorian Detective Stories (Unabridged)

Detection by Gaslight: 14 Victorian Detective Stories (Unabridged)

Rich, varied collection of 14 extraordinary Victorian and Edwardian crime stories, many never before published in book form: Kipling's "The Return of Imray"; "The Tragedy of the Life Raft" by Jacques Futrelle; "The Copper Beeches" by Arthur Conan Doyle; plus hard-to-find tales by G.K. Chesterton, Catherine L. Pirkis, Silas K. Hocking, others.
Paperback, Dover Thrift Edition, 272 pages
Published March 1st 1998 by Dover Publications (first published July 10th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Detection by Gaslight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detection by Gaslight

Alaina
Mar 06, 2010 Alaina rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I was surprised at how un-Victorian most of these stories were. I found them really enjoyable, clever, and refreshing.
Bev
Sep 26, 2011 Bev rated it really liked it
I always enjoy collections from the Victorian/Edwardian eras that have a large number of stories that I've not read before. This collection does the trick.
Earl Grey Tea
Having never read any Sherlock Holmes before, I was able to receive a nice introduction to the world of Victorian Detective stories. This collection gave wonderful insight into the world of Victorian England. While the text might not compare to the enthralling pace and twists of a modern day mysteries, I still was able to learn a lot from this book.

The tastes of readers have changed greatly over the years. These short stories appeared to not contain all the facts along the way for the reader to
Douglas
Very nice collection of old mystery stories, mostly taking place in Great Britain.
Here is a list of the stories contained in this volume:

The Adventure of the Copper Beaches by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
6. The York Mystery by Baroness Orczy
7. The Haverstock Hill Murder by George R. Sims
8. The Dead Hand by R. Austin Freeman
9. Mr. Bovey's Unexpected Will by L. T. Meade and Robert Eustace
10. A Perverted Genius by Silas K.
Travis
Nov 05, 2010 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Great anthology, featuring a mix of Victorian detective stories, most of which were characters that had their own series.

There a few obvious rip offs of Sherlock Holmes, a couple characters that you can see why they are forgotten, but most them are decent characters that I'd like to read more about. I liked the 'Thinking Machine' and the two women detectives especially.

Some good mysteries, interesting characters and a nice bit of detective fiction history.

Lotte
Aug 08, 2009 Lotte rated it really liked it
I am fascinated by life when Holmes was keepng London safe, the forecast usually predicted fog, hansom cabs waited on every corner while young lads slouched in convenient doorways waiting to call for the cab or deliver an urgent message across town, railways timetables were common knowledge, Facebook was predated by the newspaper personal ads, and cell phones unneccesary due to the speedy transmission and delivery of telegraphs. Ahhhhhh.
Lexi
Sep 28, 2009 Lexi rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
An excellent collection of Victorian era detective stories. A fun read and quirky selections as well. In addition to the requisite Sherlock Holmes tale (The Adventure of the Copper Beeches), Rudyard Kipling, Baroness Orczy, and G.K. Chesterton are featured. The other authors were previously unfamiliar to me, but I will be looking for collections of their work at my local library soon!
Mary Mingle
Mar 22, 2010 Mary Mingle rated it it was amazing
A literary collection of Victorian-era detective short stories. I had no idea how many mystery writers contributed to the genre . . . We all know about Sherlock Holmes but it appears there were many writers of the time creating clever detectives and spinning interesting tales of mystery and intrigue. An excellent overview of detective fiction of the time.
Beth Anne
Apr 17, 2013 Beth Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Great collection of short detective stories from the Victorian era. Good mix of authors, plots, and concise intro of each author was helpful. Favorites included: The Haverstock Hill Murder by Sims, The Dead Hand by Freeman, The Eye of Apollo by Chesterton, and The Tragedy of the Liferaft by Futrelle. Unimpressed by Kipling's Return of Imray, and abandoned The Purple Emperor by Chambers.
Veronica
Apr 11, 2013 Veronica rated it liked it
Some of the stories were funny, but some were plain odd. Although I read some for school, I finished the rest just because they were short, easy to read, and nothing like anything I've read in a while.
Chris
Jul 30, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
Great collection of some rather rare stories by an assorted collection of Victorian detective story writers. Especially worth reading if you've enjoyed Sherlock Holmes or want an introduction.
Mary
Jul 22, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Hit or miss, what are you to say? The best are very excellent, but you can see how the literary types could be so dismissive of the genre for so long.
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Sarah rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2013
Mickey
Mickey rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Kat Alexander
Kat Alexander rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2013
Sarah Hodiak
Sarah Hodiak rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2013
Breshvic
Breshvic rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2010
Johanna
Mar 07, 2011 Johanna rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, england
Very disappointing collection.
Alexsis
Alexsis rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2007
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2010
Heath Weaver
Heath Weaver rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Jen Alien-Spouse
Jen Alien-Spouse rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2011
Vikas Datta
Vikas Datta rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2012
Shelley
Shelley rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Connie Happeny
Connie Happeny rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
David Nadolny
Apr 05, 2011 David Nadolny rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of Victorian short detective stories!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Perils of Sherlock Holmes: Short Stories
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Ghosts of Bly: And Other New Adventures of the Great Detective
  • Holmes for the Holidays
  • The Casebook of Newbury & Hobbes (Newbury and Hobbes)
  • The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime: Con Artists, Burglars, Rogues, and Scoundrels from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Hellfire Conspiracy (Barker & Llewelyn, #4)
  • Lady Molly of Scotland Yard
  • Learning about Dance: Dance As An Art Form And Entertainment
  • Two Hundred and Twenty-One Baker Streets: An Anthology of Holmesian Tales Across Time and Space
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes