Start by marking “Jabberwocky and Other Poems” as Want to Read:
Jabberwocky and Other Poems

Jabberwocky and Other Poems

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  4,664 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Carefully chosen collection contains 34 of Carroll's most appealing verses — nonsense verse, parodies, burlesques, more — including such unforgettable pieces as "The Walrus and the Carpenter," "The Mock Turtle's Song," and "Father William," as well as such lesser-known gems as "My Fancy," "A Sea Dirge," "Brother and Sister," "Hiawatha's Photographing," "The Mad Gardener's ...more
Published June 14th 2001 by Dover Publications

Jon Mowjoudi
Sep 09, 2012 Jon Mowjoudi rated it it was amazing
"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

A memorable verse from an iconic poem, "The Walrus and the Carpenter", one of Carroll's most revered works alongside the titular "Jabberwocky". It tells the story of a cunning pair - the poetic Walrus and his complementary accomplice the Carpenter - and their encounter with a rather unfortunate bunch of oysters who
Mariam Abood
This is one of my favourite poems ever just because of the fact this poem throws no punches and actually admits to being a nonsense poem. Because honestly, the amount of pretentious waffle I had to read in school and then make a profound interpretation from, just did my head in, and then this bad boy came along, and all the pretentious kids in the class were clueless because they couldn't make sense of this poem. It was so fucking funny and so brilliant.
Tony Thomas
Aug 28, 2016 Tony Thomas rated it it was amazing
I love Lewis Carroll - total genius!!
GoldGato
Feb 22, 2014 GoldGato rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are building little homes on the sands

And time does indeed flit away, burbling and chortling. Cheshire Charles of Carroll created such whimsical poetry, it was frabjous to read his collected poems, albeit usually in a public space with curious onlookers trying to determine exactly what was in my book. That's because I had the gorgeous clothbound edition with the knockout dragonesque design by Coralie Bickford-Smith.

All in the golden afternoon
Full leisurely we glide

There is so much to love an
Joe Turk
Mar 19, 2016 Joe Turk rated it really liked it
"The vorpal blade went snicker-snack! He left it dead, and with its head He went galumphing back."

Heliea
Jan 13, 2017 Heliea rated it liked it
I basically got this book so I could have The Walrus and the Carpenter on print, cause I love reading it again and again. All the poems he wrote for Through the Looking Glass are amazing to read out loud, but his other work, although sometimes fun to read, is not really as good as I wanted it to be.
Baker
Jun 16, 2008 Baker rated it liked it
Shelves: part-read
Zacaro Caro
Jul 21, 2012 Zacaro Caro rated it really liked it
Well, I have to admit that I'm confused about this author. He is like Dr Suess, making up words I can't read and will never know what they mean. I don't like Dr Suess and I don't like Carroll. I wrote a poem about it actually.

But here's the deal, I like the Jabberwocky and some of the nonsense poems in this book. When Carroll was asked to help enlighten people on the meanings of some of his made up words his grasp of language made me rethink my distaste. Isn't it odd that when you read his nons
Larissa
Jun 16, 2015 Larissa rated it it was ok
Carroll, Lewis, and Christopher Myers. Jabberwocky. New York: Jump at the Sun/Hyperion for Children, 2007. Print. Ages 8-10. Jabberwocky is a very confusing, but very depicted poem/book. This book is a book about a boy who was told about this Jabberwocky and his father warns him that this creature/animal is very dangerous. The boy decides that this didn't matter anyways, so he goes out into the forest to try to catch/kill this creature. At the end the boy does end up killing the Jabberwocky and ...more
Salóme
Feb 27, 2014 Salóme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book of poems. Can't say I liked all of them but some I liked very much. Many of them are funny in an absurd way. If you want to see examples then I'd recommend poems like "The Walrus and the Carpenter" and "A Sea Dirge". The latter starts like this:

A Sea Dirge

There are certain things - as, a spider, a ghost,
The income-tax, gout, an umbrella for three -
That I hate, but the thing that I hate the most
Is a thing they call the Sea.

Pour some salt water over the floor -
Ugly I'm
Katrina
Apr 28, 2015 Katrina rated it really liked it
This is a book of nonsense poetry that appeals to all ages, but specifically to young children. Jabberwocky itself was presented in "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and the wording of the poem is of Lewis Carroll's own invention. The lyricism is playful and the content entertaining. The illustrations are whimsical and mirror those seen in Carroll's other works. Just like "Wonderland", the poem and illustrations throw you into an inverted world where nothing is as it seems and allow your imagin ...more
Relyn
Dec 28, 2010 Relyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes odd
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Alice and Wonderland
I love the poem Jabberwock, but some of Carroll's other poetry just doesn't do it for me. This time I was sharing the book with Sloane and my class. I adore being the first to read the poem to children. They TOTALLY get the poem and follow the story far, far better than most adults. I think it's because they are still so very involved in their own imaginary lives. It's a poem that is always a hit. One year when I introduced the poem to my fourth graders, I taught them about nonsense words (as us ...more
Kate
Jun 18, 2015 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This collection caught me by surprise. I was ready for silliness and laughter, but what I got was much more serious. The "nonsense" is such a small amount of his work in this collection; the rest has quite a melancholic tone/ atmosphere, with quite a lot of religous references as well, which isn't a criticism, it just surprised me. I hoped I was going to love Carroll's work, but I didn't feel anything. The only poem that really captured me was 'Three Sunsets', which is a sad love poem. That was ...more
Leah Mullenaux
Nov 26, 2012 Leah Mullenaux rated it liked it
I read only one of these poems, Jabberwocky, illustrated by Joel Stewart. It simply took Lewis Carroll's original nonsense poem and illustrated it. It made a lot more sense reading it with the pictures acting it out, because most of the time, I had no idea what Carroll was saying with those crazy made up words. It was a simple book, not much to it. I didn't enjoy it too much because I didn't learn anything from it. I could be wrong because I didn't analyze it too much, but I don't feel like it t ...more
G.C. Neff
Jul 14, 2015 G.C. Neff rated it really liked it
When I first read Jabberwocky back in school, I was enthralled. Here was a fun, nonsense poem that made me smile. So I got a copy ofJabberwocky and Other Poems by Lewis Carroll and read the entire book (okay, so it's a short book) in one day.

And I found that the Jabberwocky still makes me smile. As well as some of the other poems in the book. I have some other books by Lewis Carroll on my shelves to read. I'm certain I'll be smiling more once I get into them.
Katrina
Oct 26, 2014 Katrina rated it liked it
A little bit disappointed to be honest...I loved the poems in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, because I thought they were thought provoking, a little melancholy, meaningful in obscure ways. I enjoyed these poems more than the other ones. I thought they would be more meaningful, I just found them a bit dull and factual, with no other meaning. I'm not good at analysing poems so I probably missed the point of a lot of them. Maybe I just prefer sad romantic poetry; if ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
This is a booklet of poems by Lewis Carroll. It's basically divided into pre-Alice poems, poems from both Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass, and other poetry that he wrote. Some of the poetry is very similar in style to that in Alice, very unusual in wording and still very interesting.

In a poem entitled Rules and Regulations, he has a very interesting bit of advice for people and that is 'and never stammer,' yet he had a definite stammer, especially when around very small
Cait
Dec 18, 2014 Cait rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardback, poetry
Have read most of these before, except (I think) some of the early ones and some of the later ones.

'Jabberwocky' will always be my favourite but there are plenty of others that I enjoyed - most of my favourites are from the Alice stories - thanks in part to the Disney film.

I enjoyed the acrostic poems - I remember writing those at school.

The riddle poems were good as well though I had no hopes of solving most of them.

The notes at the end were useful to help understand the poems (and solve the ri
C. Hollis Crossman
Feb 13, 2012 C. Hollis Crossman rated it it was amazing
Without nonsense, the world would be meaningless. Jabberwocky, by this standard, is one of the most important poems of all time.

Carroll demonstrates the true nature of poetry here—its power to communicate effectively through chaos and order juxtaposed, its inventiveness, its utter and utterly pure celebration of play and carelessness.

His other poems are pretty good, too. Jabberwocky is the best, and the best reason to read Through the Looking-Glass. I've read a lot of poetry, and I can honestly
Russ
Oct 03, 2012 Russ rated it it was amazing
a very decent read a little bit confusing but such is the way of mister Carroll's writing at tumes. I think that is part of what makes his writings so appealing to me. It's an enigma with some new rabbit trail of thought to follow as new ideas and pictures come from the pictures painted in his books.

the jabberwocky is a great book with many themes of heroism and valor that doesnt come up in modern poetry.
elstaffe
Apr 20, 2014 elstaffe rated it really liked it
Shelves: togoodhomes
I'd read Alice and Through the Looking Glass before, but hasn't encountered Carroll's poetry outside of those two. Now I'm glad I have. The only reasons I'm considering donating my copy after finishing this book yesterday is 1) to pass on the joy and 2) so I can get a complete Carrol poetry collection.
J. Alfred
Sep 04, 2009 J. Alfred rated it liked it
Fun more than anything. Probably more interesting for its philosophy of language applications than anything else (Jabberwocky, that is. The rest of the poems are mainly just clever and forgettable.) I have, however, found more people able to quote the entirety of Jabberwocky unnanounced and unexpected than any other poem. So, yeah, it's a culturally relevant thing. Callooh-callay!
Lucia
Aug 14, 2009 Lucia rated it liked it
too high-brow for my mediocre brain. . . but Stephane Jorisch does a fantastic job or illustrations.

perhaps I am just too fried at this point to figure out what exactly all these nonsense words mean.
Kingsley
Fair and enjoyable, with hidden gems and clever word play too, but, for my money, too much repetition of metre and rhyme throughout. Variation of content was awesome, but there needed to be more variety of style. Picky, I know, but still a good book and a worthwhile read.
Dexter
Lewis Carroll is a genius of fun and humor. I can easily see myself reading these poems over and over again.

Second time reading:
Still reading them over and over again. I'm determined to commit many of them to memory, and also to loudly sing "Turtle Soup" everytime I eat soup.
Katherine Simmons
I enjoy Carroll's work on the whole but his moralistic work is to my tastes too much, this is more due the world and society having moved on from when these were written. The 'nonsense' poems are more what we expect from him.
Stephen
Mar 16, 2009 Stephen rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book serves as a reminder of what poetry once was--and we have come such a long way. Overall, the stories can be viewed as overly dramatic, but at least they have a story compared to some contemporary poets.
Johann
Mar 25, 2014 Johann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was fun to read the poems from Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass again, but most of the other ones were torturous to get through. The book was fun to read for a few days, but the poems got old quickly. I started dreading reading more, but just wanted to finish the book.
J.R. Barker
Jan 19, 2012 J.R. Barker rated it it was amazing
Actually I have only read the Jabberwocky, but I love the nonsense of it and I love the rhythm of the language. I would dearly love to read more of his poems and am currently re-reading alice in wonderland.
Melissa
Jul 21, 2013 Melissa rated it it was ok
I'm not a big reader of poetry so this wasn't a favorite with me. Lewis's poems are cleverly written and many are funny for those who enjoy rhymes and riddles.
College Students! : Jabberywocky and Other Nonsense by Lewis Carroll 1 5 Aug 26, 2015 01:52PM
  • The Sonnets and A Lover's Complaint
  • Favorite Poems
  • Complete Poems and Translations
  • An Elegy Written In A Country Churchyard
  • Selected Poems
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo
More about Lewis Carroll...

“Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.”
1292 likes
“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!”
6 likes