Start by marking “Wicca: A comprehensive guide to the Old Religion in the modern world” as Want to Read:
Wicca: A comprehensive guide to the Old Religion in the modern world

Wicca: A comprehensive guide to the Old Religion in the modern world

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  379 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Wicca is said to be the oldest religion in the world. Today, growing numbers of people are becoming attracted to the old way. In this bestselling, introductory book, Vivianne Crowley explains the way of the Witch and shows the relevance of modern Wicca in today's world.

Sales Handles:
• Wicca has sold over 75,000 copies since publication.
• Regarded as the classic text on the
Published February 18th 2011 by Element (first published June 23rd 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Wicca, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wicca

Jon
May 30, 2010 Jon rated it really liked it
This is the first book I ever read specifically about a form of witchcraft, rather than having a small amount on that subject along with other matters, and it was a long time and a large amount of bookshelf space before I read a better.
The best thing about this book is that it is biased to a particular perspective and doesn't pretend otherwise. Ironically, the result is a much less biased book than many others on the topic: Crowley is writing as someone who is a High Priestess and also a Jungian
Strangerealms
Nov 09, 2009 Strangerealms rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paganism
If I were to make a top 5 of my pagan collection, this one would be number one. Let's just say I was happy to get it since this book is now out-of-print and I wish it would have been among my first ones to read on the subject. It has probably something to do with the author being a psychologist and a big fan of Carl Jung whom she quotes a lot in the book. I find psychology quite fascinating and I like Jung so I got very much the book and where she was heading with it. Some find it too wordy and ...more
Erik Akre
May 14, 2016 Erik Akre rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all those interested in traditional Wicca, for any reason
Shelves: wicca
This was an extremely important book for me. It introduced a much deeper look at Wicca than the ones I had been getting from the likes of Cunningham and Conway. There is no doubt the latter authors inspire and lend important tools to the study and practice of the religion, but Crowley takes us deeper into the traditional meaning of the practices. She feels authentic in a way the others, with their "anything goes" attitude, do not. (I happen to be more of an "anything goes"-type person, but all t ...more
Natajia
Interesting enough; a lot of little tidbits and pointers. Certainly a fun read, although i would have liked to read more about the history of Wicca. But still worth it.
Gryffin Veritas
Oct 11, 2014 Gryffin Veritas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wicca
One of the best books out there on serious Wicca. Not a how-to book, but one that goes into meaning of British Traditional Wicca with wonderful analyses of what one goes through psychologically when advancing through the degrees. One word of advice: If you are planning on being initiated into a Gardnerian or Alexandrian coven, don't read the parts about the higher degrees until you've gone through them. Not that there are secrets given, but it's best you don't have pre-conceived notions of the i ...more
Aitziber Madinabeitia
Mar 07, 2014 Aitziber Madinabeitia rated it really liked it
Me costó encontrar la edición de los primeros 90 en castellano, pero una vez hecho resulta un libro esclarecedor en muchos aspectos sobre los rituales y significados en la Wicca. Como tantos otros libros es la visión de la autora, cuya formación como psicólogo se nota bastante a lo largo de toda la esplicación.
Es recomendable especialmente por que en él encontraras explicaciones explicitas de cosas que solo se encuentran implicitas en otros textos, y que tal vez solo hayas llegado a sospechar.
Bu
Kutjupa Karyn
Feb 07, 2014 Kutjupa Karyn rated it really liked it
Shelves:
So far I've found it very interesting in tying together a lot if historical information I've gleaned from different sources over the years. I wouldn't call it un-put-down able, I can go for weeks without picking it up and when I do only read one page, but it is however rather interesting and insightful. A good reference for beginners, or those who want to know more about the craft.
Mad B
Jun 20, 2014 Mad B rated it it was amazing
Disfrute mucho leer este libro. Lo recomiendo ampliamente para las personas interesadas en autores(as) de la Tercera Generación de Iniciados(as) en Wicca Tradicional.
Sharon
Mar 06, 2016 Sharon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not an Old Religion,Wicca is not as old as the NHS!
Gethin Cariad
Feb 10, 2015 Gethin Cariad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Awesome compilation
Allison
Mar 18, 2008 Allison rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people looking for advanced wicca skills
I've had this book for quite a while and recently picked it up again. I wanted to "get back to basics" as far as wicca was concerned and boy, did this book surprise me! I didn't remember it being so practical, psychological and balanced in its views of whether magick is "real" or not. It all depends on where your own mindset is - this can greatly influence what you bring away from the book. A very important read!
Ylang Ylang
Jan 25, 2012 Ylang Ylang rated it it was ok
A very frustrating book. Filled with things a reader wants to hear, but really teaches very little more than a volume a 1/10th of the size. I have tried reading it many times and failed to really get stuck in. I might try again one day, but I prefer books packed with good information and facts, and this book seems to be lacking that.
Althea Flame
May 30, 2015 Althea Flame rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a book I would recommend to anyone interested in Wicca. I like how it relates Wicca to Jung's psychology and the process of individuation. Different from most other books on Wicca, at least the ones I have read so far.
Jaina Bee
Jul 29, 2013 Jaina Bee rated it really liked it
Shelves: useful, woowoo, ministry
I usually steer away from Wicca because it's too formal and dogmatic for my ecclectic and eccentric preferences, but this book is quite accessible and helpful.
Jules
Sep 14, 2014 Jules rated it really liked it
I read this many years ago, & found it to be an enjoyable read. Easy to read, & I've kept hold of it in case I choose to read it again in the future.
Illuminatidred
Aug 01, 2011 Illuminatidred rated it it was amazing
one of the best 'wicca' books ive read. more than just the usual 'here are some watered down rituals' offerings.
Clatters
Aug 24, 2010 Clatters rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wicca
Good basic understanding of Wicca, the origins and a a good foundation of the old religion.
Garrett
Jul 21, 2011 Garrett rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pagan
A friend gave this book and another to learn more about Wicca. This one was ok.
Devilyn (Emily)
I read this as research, but it was a good insight into the religion
Joel Brotzman
Oct 12, 2010 Joel Brotzman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a practicioner's guide.
Mandy McRae
Apr 07, 2007 Mandy McRae added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ???
This was an ok book.
The Domestic Witch
The Domestic Witch marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Brandon K
Brandon K rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Khaleesi
Khaleesi rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Sue Saadawi
Sue Saadawi marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Georgia-Lee Holden
Georgia-Lee Holden marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Reina Yvette
Reina Yvette marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Alesha
Alesha marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
  • Witch Crafting: A Spiritual Guide to Making Magic
  • Coven Craft: Witchcraft for Three or More
  • Green Witchcraft III: The Manual
  • Wicca For Life: The Way of the Craft -- From Birth to Summerland
  • The Wicca Garden: A Modern Witch's Book of Magickal and Enchanted Herbs and Plants
  • Advanced Wicca: Exploring Deeper Levels of Spiritual Skills and Masterful Magick
  • The Real Witches' Handbook: A Complete Introduction to the Craft
  • Evolutionary Witchcraft
  • Everyday Magic: Spells & Rituals for Modern Living
  • Wicca: A Year and a Day: 366 Days of Spiritual Practice in the Craft of the Wise