Start by marking “McNally's Caper” as Want to Read:
McNally's Caper

McNally's Caper (Archy McNally #4)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  1,149 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Called in by patriarch Griswold Forsythe, II, to discover which relative is stealing family valuables piece by piece, eccentric discreet detective Archy McNally plunges to the perilous depths of Palm Beach high society.
Hardcover, First Edition, 319 pages
Published January 26th 1994 by Putnam (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about McNally's Caper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McNally's Caper

John
Great read to escape into another time and place. Humorous and philosophical look at class structure, what money creates and relationships.
Shishir
Archy McNally rocks! I love the way this series has been written - the wit is super and the language pretty darn good.
Joe Baganski
Enjoyable quick read. Great prose with a fantastic vocabulary.
Chuck
One of the greatest joys of reading is when you pick up a book that you have no idea who the author is and have no idea what the story is about. That was the circumstance here when I picked up this book off the shelf at a thrift store for less than a dollar and started to read. This book is a mystery, but includes the gift of having a very funny and clever author. The plot is a fairly typical whodunnit out of a group of many potentially guilty parties. But the imaginative behavior and the clever ...more
Murrill
The books in this series are my reprieves from serious reading. The main character is witty, smart, and entertaining, and there is always a good mystery involved.
Wysteria
Another Archy McNally book and I still can't figure out where the appeal lies. Is it because Archy lives the life we can only dream of? Or is it the gratuitous descriptions of Archy's vast wardrobe choices, including but definitely not limited to such awesome sartorial pics as a purple silk suit and white broges. I don't even remember the basis of the plot line for this novel, honestly. It was pretty similar to every other McNally book I've read though, so it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. ...more
Lee
A fun read as always with McNally series. Nothing specially mystifying but a good quick summer read.
June Ahern
I listened to "McNally's Caper", read by Adam Henderson and laughed my way through the who-done-it! Yes, it is silly, fun and enjoyable. I've read many of Lawrence Sanders' novels and enjoyed them at different degrees. The narrator in this caper brought personalities into colorful life. I didn't figure out the villain as quite a few of the could-have-done-it were high on my list. I got lost in their wickedness as equally in the suave, sex driven sleuth Archy McNally. Will look for more on audio ...more
David Reynolds
Loved it!! Archy is very funny!!
Carolynn
it's an "ok" book but nothing I would recommend. A little like a really bad soap opera!
Kurt Young
Sanders' gag for the McNally books is writing in a florid prose that would fit in quite naturally for a character and book written in 1920's England. The goof is the character and story is set in present day West Palm Beach.

"Caper" isn't bad, and while the style amuses for awhile it just becomes a weighty drag.
John
Good McNally book, although these books are starting to seem quite formulaic. I'll try a few more, but hope they're different. Archy is every man's hero when it comes to sexual escapades and relationships, his style of dress sounds very metrosexual, at best.
Alex
Another book that has mysteriously fallen off my list. I read it way back my first Christmas in SF. I remember one thing about it: It said that few strangulation victims are ever killed by women. (Women don't have strong enough muscles in the hands.)
Barbara
I learned AGAIN that Lawrence Sanders is one of my favorite authors. His Archy character is great. Wit and turn of phrase keeps the reader smiling. Sounds like someone you could actually know.
Jaymark
Finally completed re-reading this! It was a fun read, the characters in this book were very funny. The story was not that exciting but the dialogues were very enjoyable.
Ginny
I bought this because my husband likes the series. I find Archie and friends a little too much for me. I mean really get a life. I don't care what color shirt he wore.
Jacki
I adore all of the McNally books that were written by Lawrence Sanders. I believe I almost own all of them and I re-read them every year!
DaraB
I read this when I was younger so it didn't really hit home. Plus I hadn't read the other books in the series.
Andra
this is the first book I have read by this author. I will try another.
Ed
Less than a 4 star, more than a three. Detailed review later.
columbialion
Jan 07, 2010 columbialion rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to columbialion by: Self
Amateur sleuth Archie McNally loose again in Palm Beach
Ann
Very different but great humor.
Sandy
Quick read, always entertaining.
Maurean
Who killed old man Forsythe?
Valynn
Oct 22, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: mystery
M San
Vicki Fritz
Vicki Fritz marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • A Dismal Thing to Do
  • The Importance of Being Ernestine (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #11)
  • If Death Ever Slept (Nero Wolfe, #29)
  • An Imperfect Spy (A Kate Fansler Mystery #11)
  • Act of Betrayal (Britt Montero, #4)
  • The Bishop in the West Wing (Blackie Ryan, #14)
  • Three Complete Novels: A is for Alibi / B is for Burglar / C is for Corpse
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald Mysteries #8)
  • The Alpine Legacy
  • Weep No More, My Lady / Stillwatch / A Cry in the Night
  • Mrs. Pollifax, Innocent Tourist (Mrs. Pollifax, Book 13)
  • The Lamorna Wink (Richard Jury, #16)
  • The Burglar in the Rye (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #9)
  • Second Wind
Lawrence Sanders was the New York Times bestselling author of more than forty mystery and suspense novels. The Anderson Tapes, completed when he was fifty years old, received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for best first novel. His prodigious oeuvre encompasses the Edward X. Delaney, Archy McNally, and Timothy Cone series, along with his acclaimed Commandment books. Stand-alone ...more
More about Lawrence Sanders...
The First Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #2) McNally's Secret The Third Deadly Sin The Second Deadly Sin McNally's Luck (Archy McNally, #2)