Start by marking “Death on a Vineyard Beach (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #7)” as Want to Read:
Death on a Vineyard Beach (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #7)

Death on a Vineyard Beach (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #7)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  315 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Ex-cop J.W. Jackson finds more than he bargained for on his honeymoon on Martha's Vineyard, when a shooting at the Boston opera intrudes. Reacting just in time, J.W. foils the attempted murder of an aging former gangster, Luciano Marcus. The ensuing investigation finds J.W. in a terrible stew in this latest in a series touted for its mix of cooking, fishing, crime and myst ...more
Published June 3rd 1996 by Scribner Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Death on a Vineyard Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death on a Vineyard Beach

Susan
Death on a Vineyard Beach by Philip R. Craig is the 7th book of the Martha’s Vineyard Mystery series set in the late 20th century on Martha’s Vineyard. J. W. Jackson and his bride Zee are on their honeymoon, attending a musical performance in Boston, when J. W. foils an assassination attempt.

Luciano Marcus, the intended victim, is a wealthy retired mobster with a well-guarded estate on the Vineyard. He’s grateful to J.W. for saving his life, and insists on hiring J.W. to investigate the inciden
Scilla
Mar 24, 2014 Scilla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having read several of these, they begin to be a little repetitive. This must be early in the series, because it includes the marriage of JW and Zee. On their honeymoon to Boston, JW is able to stop the shooting of Luciano Marcus coming out of the opera. The perpetrator gets away, but the very rich Marcus, who lives on Gay Head, hires JW to try to find the man who tried to kill him. JW convinces Zee to learn to shoot a pistol, and it turns out she is a natural. JW examines the possibility of som ...more
Anne Marie
One thing I liked about this book was the setting. Martha's Vineyard is a beautiful place and I would love to live there year round. I also liked that this was a quick read, because it was pretty boring. It reminded me of other mystery books, but this one had very little going on. Throughout the book, the main character is trying to locate who tried to kill a rich man named Marcus. But we have to hear about all the places where he fishes, and what kinds of fish he fishes. Good for him when he fi ...more
Annette
My favorite quote:

"'...Native American stuff. Bunch of b***s***, you'll pardon my saying, if you ask me....What's that guy's name, Bill?' 'Amerigo Vespucci.'...'That's the guy. Rather be named after some Italian sailor than be called Indians.'"

I'm not hyphenated anything or, viewed in a different way, I'm a Heinz 4 (not 57), but the thought of this old Indian surely rings true to me!!
Ed
Feb 07, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#7 in the Martha's Vineyard Mystery series.

During a matinee performance at the Boston opera, ex-cop J. W. Jackson manages to foil the attempted murder of an aging former gangster, Luciano Marcus, who persuades Jackson to help him find out who among his many enemies wants him dead.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Number 7 in the Martha's Vineyard cozy mystery series by Philip Craig, this is a very good read. JW Jackson and his family and friends are neck deep in solving crimes.
Sandy Christian
Apr 06, 2016 Sandy Christian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most boring books I've ever read. Thin plot, no character development, no action until 20 pages before end of book.
Nancy H
Dec 31, 2014 Nancy H rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good entry in the Martha's Vineyard mystery series!
Brucie
put me to sleep
Kathy  Petersen
Not the best of the bunch so far but still quite enjoyable. J. W. gets to spend considerable time on the exclusive west side of the island, investigating the attack on a former gangster who lives there in Gay Head and who "owns" the sacred cranberry bog that the local Indian tribe wants returned. As I continue to visit Martha's Vineyard, the plots naturally run together. It's the people, especially Jefferson Washington Jackson, the landscape, and J. W.'s cooking that bring me back.
LJ
DEATH ON A VINEYARD BEACH - Okay
Craig, Philip R. - 7th in series

During a matinee performance at the Boston opera, ex-cop J.W. Jackson manages to foil the attempted murder of an aging former gangster, Luciano Marcus, who persuades Jackson to help him find out who among his many enemies wants him dead.

I enjoy these as a lighter read than some, but they are still good, traditional mysteries. However, this book was not as good as others in the series.
Rusty
Feb 23, 2011 Rusty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
A bad novel. The characters are bland, pointless and inexplicably pleased with themselves. The author elevates anything having to do with Martha's Vineyard to a plot element of epic significance. The plot is thin. There's nothing here except an excuse to talk about Martha's vineyard.
Jan
Dec 29, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good outing for J.W.and Zee. I enjoy their humor and the fact that in each new book they keep adding people that become standard characters in their lives.
Kathie
May 23, 2013 Kathie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not much interesting excitement. In fact no excitement. At least JW and Zee are now married so am hoping that after they settle down a little there will be more action. Moving on to #8 in the series.
Anne
Sep 04, 2008 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Philip Craig graduated from the Univ of Iowa Writers Workshop! And his characters are very likeable. He has a whole series set on Martha's Vineyard, and they're all good.
Niece
Apr 10, 2016 Niece rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Setting Martha's Vineyard-retired Boston Police Officer-J.W. Jackson
Light mystery/light romance...good series/enjoyed!
Phil
Jan 15, 2011 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
One of the better ones in the series - unusual in that JW actually leaves the Vineyard (albeit for a very short trip to America).
Moira
Jun 04, 2012 Moira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read part of the series a few years ago, wish I would of ahve kept those books because I now what to go back and revisit them.
Debbie
Jan 20, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it
ex-cop JW Jackson gets involved trying to find out who tried to murder Luciano Marcus, who lives on Martha's Vineyard
Al
Oct 01, 2010 Al rated it liked it
This is incorrect. It's a different book that starts with an attempted shoting after a Boston opera.
Mary Jane
For a no-brainer spring break read you can't beat Philip Craig on the vagaries of life on Martha's Vineyard.
J
Sep 14, 2011 J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at a discount sale. It was worth the price and the read.
Kyle Fisher
Feb 20, 2016 Kyle Fisher rated it liked it
Shelves:
The plot was as laid back as the setting.
Joan Kilpatrick
ok, a bit too laid back for me.
Justaskmom
Oct 14, 2011 Justaskmom rated it did not like it
Well-written, just not my cup of tea...
Mel
Mel rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Trish Payne
Trish Payne marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
  • Out Cold (Brady Coyne, #24)
  • The Last Love
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • The Body in the Fjord (Faith Fairchild, #8)
  • A Glancing Light (The Chris Norgren Mysteries, #2)
  • Witches' Bane (China Bayles, #2)
  • Do Unto Others
  • Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)
  • The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (Eugenia Potter, #4)
  • Threaded for Trouble (Threadville Mystery, #2)
Author Philip R. Craig passed away on May 8, 2007 after a brief battle with cancer.

Phil left three completed novels, which have now all been published posthumously. Vineyard Stalker, came out in June of 2007 just after Phil's death. Third Strike, co-written with Bill Tapply, came out in November of 2007. The final J.W. Jackson mystery, Vineyard Chill, is on the shelves now. Another J.W. book is p
More about Philip R. Craig...

Martha's Vineyard Mystery (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • A Beautiful Place to Die (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #1)
  • Death in Vineyard Waters (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #2)
  • Vineyard Deceit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #3)
  • Vineyard Fear (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #4)
  • Off Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #5)
  • A Case of Vineyard Poison (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #6)
  • A Deadly Vineyard Holiday (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #8)
  • A Shoot on Martha's Vineyard (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #9)
  • A Fatal Vineyard Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #10)
  • Vineyard Blues (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #11)