Death on a Vineyard Beach (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #7)

Death on a Vineyard Beach (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #7)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  256 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Ex-cop J.W. Jackson finds more than he bargained for on his honeymoon on Martha's Vineyard, when a shooting at the Boston opera intrudes. Reacting just in time, J.W. foils the attempted murder of an aging former gangster, Luciano Marcus. The ensuing investigation finds J.W. in a terrible stew in this latest in a series touted for its mix of cooking, fishing, crime and myst...more
Published June 3rd 1996 by Scribner Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Death on a Vineyard Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death on a Vineyard Beach

Scilla
Having read several of these, they begin to be a little repetitive. This must be early in the series, because it includes the marriage of JW and Zee. On their honeymoon to Boston, JW is able to stop the shooting of Luciano Marcus coming out of the opera. The perpetrator gets away, but the very rich Marcus, who lives on Gay Head, hires JW to try to find the man who tried to kill him. JW convinces Zee to learn to shoot a pistol, and it turns out she is a natural. JW examines the possibility of som...more
Anne Marie
One thing I liked about this book was the setting. Martha's Vineyard is a beautiful place and I would love to live there year round. I also liked that this was a quick read, because it was pretty boring. It reminded me of other mystery books, but this one had very little going on. Throughout the book, the main character is trying to locate who tried to kill a rich man named Marcus. But we have to hear about all the places where he fishes, and what kinds of fish he fishes. Good for him when he fi...more
Kathy  Petersen
Not the best of the bunch so far but still quite enjoyable. J. W. gets to spend considerable time on the exclusive west side of the island, investigating the attack on a former gangster who lives there in Gay Head and who "owns" the sacred cranberry bog that the local Indian tribe wants returned. As I continue to visit Martha's Vineyard, the plots naturally run together. It's the people, especially Jefferson Washington Jackson, the landscape, and J. W.'s cooking that bring me back.
LJ
DEATH ON A VINEYARD BEACH - Okay
Craig, Philip R. - 7th in series

During a matinee performance at the Boston opera, ex-cop J.W. Jackson manages to foil the attempted murder of an aging former gangster, Luciano Marcus, who persuades Jackson to help him find out who among his many enemies wants him dead.

I enjoy these as a lighter read than some, but they are still good, traditional mysteries. However, this book was not as good as others in the series.
Rusty
A bad novel. The characters are bland, pointless and inexplicably pleased with themselves. The author elevates anything having to do with Martha's Vineyard to a plot element of epic significance. The plot is thin. There's nothing here except an excuse to talk about Martha's vineyard.
Jan Nelson
Another good outing for J.W.and Zee. I enjoy their humor and the fact that in each new book they keep adding people that become standard characters in their lives.
Kathie
Not much interesting excitement. In fact no excitement. At least JW and Zee are now married so am hoping that after they settle down a little there will be more action. Moving on to #8 in the series.
Anne
Philip Craig graduated from the Univ of Iowa Writers Workshop! And his characters are very likeable. He has a whole series set on Martha's Vineyard, and they're all good.
Phil
One of the better ones in the series - unusual in that JW actually leaves the Vineyard (albeit for a very short trip to America).
Moira
Read part of the series a few years ago, wish I would of ahve kept those books because I now what to go back and revisit them.
Debbie
ex-cop JW Jackson gets involved trying to find out who tried to murder Luciano Marcus, who lives on Martha's Vineyard
Al
This is incorrect. It's a different book that starts with an attempted shoting after a Boston opera.
Mary Jane
For a no-brainer spring break read you can't beat Philip Craig on the vagaries of life on Martha's Vineyard.
J
I picked this book up at a discount sale. It was worth the price and the read.
Joan Kilpatrick
ok, a bit too laid back for me.
Justaskmom
Well-written, just not my cup of tea...
Pagan
Pagan added it
Jul 07, 2014
Nicole Paul
Nicole Paul marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
  • The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (Eugenia Potter, #4)
  • The Body in the Cast (Faith Fairchild, #5)
  • Witches' Bane (China Bayles, #2)
  • A Glancing Light (The Chris Norgren Mysteries, #2)
  • Do Unto Others
  • Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)
  • Threaded for Trouble (Threadville Mystery, #2)
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery #3)
  • Below the Salt
  • Dead and Berried (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #2)
  • Outwitting Trolls (Brady Coyne, #28)
  • Just Plain Pickled to Death (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #4)
  • Fowl Prey (A Bed and Breakfast Mysery, #2)
  • Borderlines (Joe Gunther #2)
  • Who Invited the Dead Man? (Thoroughly Southern, #3)
Author Philip R. Craig passed away on May 8, 2007 after a brief battle with cancer.

Phil left three completed novels, which have now all been published posthumously. Vineyard Stalker, came out in June of 2007 just after Phil's death. Third Strike, co-written with Bill Tapply, came out in November of 2007. The final J.W. Jackson mystery, Vineyard Chill, is on the shelves now. Another J.W. book is p...more
More about Philip R. Craig...
A Beautiful Place to Die (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #1) Murder at a Vineyard Mansion (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #15) Vineyard Prey (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #16) Off Season (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #5) Vineyard Chill (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #19)