Start by marking “Flight of Aquavit (Russell Quant Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
Flight of Aquavit (Russell Quant Mysteries, #2)

Flight of Aquavit (A Russell Quant Mystery #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  25 reviews
At the dead end of a desolate, country road a late night meeting suddenly becomes an ambush. Gay private detective Russell Quant is faced with personal threats he can't ignore, a friend who may be a foe and a cagey client with a treacherous monkey on his back. As Quant trails a menacing blackmailer known only as Loverboy, he finds himself immersed in the midnight world of ...more
Published September 1st 2000 by Insomniac Press

To ask other readers questions about Flight of Aquavit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight of Aquavit

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3.25* of five

The Book Report: Saskatoon's only gay PI, Russell Quant, is hired by a mysterious client to discover and neutralize (this is Canada, folks, it doesn't mean "kill" to them) a blakcmailer known only as "Loverboy," who is making life a living nightmare for several people with secrets.

And doesn't every single body around Russell prove to have them? Neighbor and glamourous gal-pal Sereena seems to be a walking secret, as a trip to New York City makes sharply obvious. Even Russel
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Apr 18, 2011 Emanuela ~plastic duck~ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Emanuela ~plastic duck~ by: Kay
Shelves: glbt
I liked this book very much, because it's a light book with a touch of melancholy. There is no romance in which the main character, Russell Quant, is involved, but like in the first book of the series, Amuse Bouche, the love life which gets into the spotlight is that of Russell's client.

The mystery part was interesting, but it seemed to me that Russell didn't really invest much time or energy into his investigation, so I found myself trying to lead the PI to the right direction. His personal lif
Vasha7
One type of modern private eye novel is a long way away from "down these mean streets a man must go". A typical one that comes to my mind is Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone series. These detectives are anything but loners, they always have an abundance of friends and a strong domesticity, although they are generally single -- following the developments in the characters' personal lives are one of the main things that pulls readers on from volume to volume in the series, and unresolved romantic tens ...more
Rhonda
Geez, I never imagined a gay male private eye in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, but I'm sure glad Anthony Bidulka did. And so gracefully! Look at the title, savor its poetry, ask yourself what it could possibly mean, then read the book and gasp (and possibly whack yourself in the head because you should have known it even before you opened the book)(unless you did). Besides being smart, Russell Quant is refined, unpretentious, warm, well-intentioned and just downright endearing. The gay aspect does wo ...more
Philip
This is a very good book and a fabulous series! It has just about everything you can ask for in an entertaining and humourous book - great and unique characters, a decent, if not awesome
plot, some action, lots of detection and a couple of pretty good twists that, while not obvious, didn't come right out of left field and may have been seen coming earlier. And the ending was not as weak as in a lot of mysteries. The only negative thought I have is that some of the action scenes like the big bliz
James
I really enjoyed this book. As always entertainingly paced with a well framed life of Russell the Protagonist. Alas although I share Mr. Bidulka's interest in exotic liquors, I don't share his fascination of clothes.

Pretty trivial criticism when you get down to it. I probably should raise the rating just because he includes both Akavit and Calvados in a single volume...
Writerlibrarian
Russell Quant, private gay detective in cold Saskatoon, Saskatchewan finds himself in a dangerous situation when he takes the case of a closet married gay accountant being blackmailed for stepping out with online "dates".

Russell Quant is back in a action pack plot involving blackmail, a trip to New York right before Christmas and his mom staying with him out of the blue. Less all over the place then the first novel in the series, the plot here keeps you interested, there's enough character devel
Nada Loughead
Love this author's writing style - will have to go back and find Book 1 and then move up the series!
Angel Pedroza
I am a great fan of this author and his main character.
Michael
May 10, 2008 Michael rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes gay mysteries
Shelves: gay
This is my first novel I've read by Anthony Bidulka. Flight of Aquavit is a mystery novel, whether you are gay or not, should be on your to-read list. The author's descriptions of people, places and things combined with pages of really good humor left me sitting at the edge of my seat until the end. When you think something is going to happen, he pulls something out of left field. The publisher states, "irresistible entertainment" - how SO true!
Rosa
I like Russell character a lot... how couldn't you love someone who owns a pair of wonderpants ;) but more seriously... I think the plot was sometimes too slow and it made me lost interest at some point and took me forever to restart again.
I'm starting the next one... I'm hoping too much of it already because I love Barna
Nicholas
Sep 05, 2007 Nicholas rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: homos.
it's pretty cringe-worthy... lines like "you sway, Mary Kay" make you wonder why you started reading it in the first place. But it's a trashy mystery, and I like trashy mysteries. This one just happens to have a private detective who is gay. And sometimes it's kind of fun to fag out and have some romance that's guy on guy.
Larry
Sep 13, 2007 Larry rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Another one Quants mysteries and another interesting story.Really picqued my interest and made me want to read more of his books. Would be interesting to see if the author would/could write other books. I think that he could write a really interesting gay love story.
Jayne
This is one of my favourites in the series, partly for the Christmas setting and partly because all the secondary characters are so fully formed. There is never a question in my mind that these are real people, not merely puppets, surrounding Russell.
Mysteryfan
The book is set early in the series. The setting is unconventional for a private detective series - Saskatoon - but that adds to the enjoyment. He's gotten better as the series continued but it was a good entry. I like his characters.
Robin
Second in a Canadian cozy series. This one has a little S'toon grimness built into it but it's still light mystery. Perfect for a hot bath on a snowy day. I didn't guess the who-done-it either.
Lil' Grogan
3.5 stars. At once, an entertaining and painful mystery. A couple of clumsy spots. Russell is a great everyman character, with an interesting supporting cast. Loved his relationship with his mom.
Drianne
Enjoyable book. The solution at the end (not unexpected) didn't quite hold together nor did the character development, but still fun to read.
Booknblues
An intriguing mystery set in Saskatoon. A private gay detective named Russell Quant.
Love the descriptions of the area, the weather and his friend
Anthony
I enjoyed the adventures of Russell Quant, a hunky, gay Private Dick in Saskatoon Canada.
Elias Samuels
It's an excellent book of a gay detective. I never expected the resolution.
Martha
A little taste of Saskatchewan, love these mysteries.
Nikks
I love Russell and his black wonder pants.
Shawn
Rather fun, but the plot is soooooo ridiculous!
Will
Will added it
Nov 11, 2014
Lena♥Ribka
Lena♥Ribka marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
  • Death Trick (Donald Strachey, #1)
  • Rag and Bone
  • Mahu Surfer (Mahu #2)
  • Murder In The Rue Dauphine (Chanse MacLeod, #1)
  • Second You Sin (Kevin Connor Mystery #2)
  • Death Claims (Dave Brandstetter, #2)
  • Boystown: Three Nick Nowak Mysteries
200143
When the Saints Go Marching In is the first book in the highly anticipated new series by Saskatchewan author Anthony Bidulka. The fast paced thriller features a new kind of hero, Disaster Recovery Agent Adam Saint.

Anthony Bidulka is best known as the author of the beloved long-running series featuring another unique main character. The Russell Quant mysteries tell the story of a world-travelling,
More about Anthony Bidulka...
Amuse Bouche (A Russell Quant Mystery, #1) Tapas on the Ramblas (A Russell Quant Mystery, #3) Stain of the Berry (A Russell Quant Mystery, #4) Aloha Candy Hearts (A Russell Quant Mystery, #6) Sundowner Ubuntu (A Russell Quant Mystery, #5)