Start by marking “Age of Propaganda: The Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasion” as Want to Read:
Age of Propaganda: The Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasion

Age of Propaganda: The Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasion

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  374 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The public awareness crusade to fight the spread of AIDS - The party political broadcast - The sportsman's product endorsement - No matter how insidious or noble these endeavours are, their success relies on the tactics of mass persuasion and the susceptibility of people to being persuaded.
Published October 1st 1991 by W.H. Freeman & Company

To ask other readers questions about Age of Propaganda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Age of Propaganda

I bought this book after a recommendation by Ramit Sethi when he was interviewed on the Tim Ferris podcast. I didn’t know much going in, so it was a surprising read.
This book promises to help you identify all the forms of persuasion and also teach you tactics on how to respond or counteract them. Is this promise realized? That is hard to say. The book does a great job of identifying the various forms and persuasion and the 4 phases you would proceed through for any persuasion: pre-persuasion, co
James Andersen
My social psychology professor had us read this book, we were told to read 2 chapters and write a summary on the chapters we were assigned, my review is based on this experience. I have to say I am glad I did this assignment because, the information in this book [just from the 2 chapters I read] is something we should all have to read about. The information presented is clear, well-organized, and easily understandable. I intend to finish this book and my review should not deviate much from it, a ...more
Ok, I only skimmed this because it was pretty dense, but it highlighted some very interesting points about propaganda-- I hope to give it a more thorough read someday.
Anwen Garston
Everyone should have to read this book. Fascinating
Muhammad Al-shrafi
The book is virtually balanced in terms of handling the propaganda concept and practices; it looks at propaganda not only as a cleaver deception played from the politicians but also played in every day social activities advertisers, preachers, organizations planners and so forth.

That's why I think it's balanced. However, I you want to dive into the political side of propaganda, Noam Chomsky and Edward Barneys are your guys.

Defiantly recommend the book to open your eyes for deceiving persuasion
Banning Leonard
This is a fascinating look at the coercive techniques that individuals and the mass media use to persuade the public to think and act in certain ways. Psychologists Pratkanis and Aronson analyze the purposeful actions, language, and symbolism behind advertising, the promoting of the first Gulf war, cult leaders’ power over individuals, and political elections. This valuable book helps the reader to look at the world with a skeptical eye towards the manipulative print, television, and radio messa ...more
Jonathan Jeckell
The text was easy to read and engaging, but a little verbose in making it conversational. I wish the topics were organized a little bit better to summarize or group different forms of persuasion a little better. Also, (ironically?) the author's worldview on a lot of issues seemed to leak through in the examples. Overall it was pretty useful in giving ethical and unethical methods of persuasion as well as countermeasures to help recognize and guard against it.
Δημήτρης Α.
Academic book for sure. Although you would expect it to be somewhat harder and more complex, its not. Easy to read and very entertaining. This book is more about research rather the conspirancy theories based on little hints which gives this book much more credibility.
On the downside some parts get repetitive, and you can clearly see the authors ideology making it sometimes one sided. Overall its a book you should read before you vote..
Jun 28, 2007 Mitra rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody specially those who live in the west.
This book is about everyday use and abuse of persuation. The goal of modern propaganda is not to inform and enlighten but rather to move the masses toward a desired position or point of view.The first step is take control of the situation and establish a favorable climate for the message that is called pre-persuation. ........
I think it is so intimitating to do whatever propagandists want us to do without let us to think about it.
This book is very dense. I found it was very thought-provoking and highly relevant. As someone experiencing my first US election while in the country, I can identify many of the techniques being used. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in critical thinking and free thought.
Jennifer Whiteside
This book was very well written and highly readable for a slightly dry subject. It's a must-read for anyone subjected to advertising or political campaigning. The book points out the ways that advertisers and campaigners use emotions, messengers, and information to sway our thinking.
More a scholarly read than entertaining, but highly informative. Seeing how widely spread the abuse side of the spectrum is frustrating! You wonder why people aren't more aware of the manipulative tricks that media&advertisers use, that's explained too.
Highly readable, interesting ideas, good syntheses of some of the research on persuasion, propaganda and media effects more generally. I use this to teach a course in "media criticism" and I enjoy working with the class on this one.
Interesting take on persuasion and sales tactics. I found this to be a useful, readable book. I found their debunking of the myth of subconscious advertising's influence most intriguing.
Fabrizio Stucchi
This should be a mandatory ready for anybody at High School, it is simply a description of the world we are living, and how we are conditioned by media and advertisement. A MUST READ!
Read it for class...took me forever. Why? So much useful information. Filled with every facet and variety and case study and scientific study of every sort of persuasion, good and evil.
This is an enlightening book. We all get trapped by the misuse and abuse of persuasion sometimes. This helps identify it and understand why we are so influenced by people.
The examples are dated, going back to the Clinton administration and the 2000 election. But the principles discussed are sound and well supported by research studies.
Thorlaug Agustsdottir
A very good book. Read as part of my studies in International Affairs at Copenhagen University, much thanks to Professor Bryder for introducing us to it.
Great book. As good a textbook on human motivations and how they can be manipulated as any I've seen.
I don't usually list academic books, but I'm really enjoying this one. Very good read - and funny too.
Sociālpsiholoģiskais skatījums uz propagandu! Rekomendēju!
repetitive, but great for quotes
Oct 25, 2015 S marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
303.375 P
Keshav Singh
Keshav Singh marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Ashraf marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Arash marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Dennis marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Chapter 2 Summary? 1 2 Mar 31, 2014 06:13PM
  • How to Change Anybody: Proven Techniques to Reshape Anyone's Attitude, Behavior, Feelings, or Beliefs
  • The 10 Women You'll Be Before You're 35
  • Friendship Crisis
  • How to Study
  • The Triple Bind: Saving Our Teenage Girls from Today's Pressures (Hardcover)
  • The Science of Influence: How to Get Anyone to Say "Yes" in 8 Minutes or Less!
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • The People Code: It's All About Your Innate Motive
  • The Social Animal
  • My Formerly Hot Life: Dispatches from Just the Other Side of Young
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • Propaganda: The Formation of Men's Attitudes