Start by marking “Age of Propaganda: The Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasion” as Want to Read:
Age of Propaganda: The Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasion

Age of Propaganda: The Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasion

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  415 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The public awareness crusade to fight the spread of AIDS - The party political broadcast - The sportsman's product endorsement - No matter how insidious or noble these endeavours are, their success relies on the tactics of mass persuasion and the susceptibility of people to being persuaded.
Published October 1st 1991 by W.H. Freeman & Company

To ask other readers questions about Age of Propaganda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Age of Propaganda

Nana
Apr 03, 2015 Nana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book after a recommendation by Ramit Sethi when he was interviewed on the Tim Ferris podcast. I didn’t know much going in, so it was a surprising read.
This book promises to help you identify all the forms of persuasion and also teach you tactics on how to respond or counteract them. Is this promise realized? That is hard to say. The book does a great job of identifying the various forms and persuasion and the 4 phases you would proceed through for any persuasion: pre-persuasion, co
Ryan
James Andersen
My social psychology professor had us read this book, we were told to read 2 chapters and write a summary on the chapters we were assigned, my review is based on this experience. I have to say I am glad I did this assignment because, the information in this book [just from the 2 chapters I read] is something we should all have to read about. The information presented is clear, well-organized, and easily understandable. I intend to finish this book and my review should not deviate much from it, a ...more
Stephanie
Ok, I only skimmed this because it was pretty dense, but it highlighted some very interesting points about propaganda-- I hope to give it a more thorough read someday.
Anwen Garston
May 29, 2013 Anwen Garston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should have to read this book. Fascinating
Muhammad Al-shrafi
The book is virtually balanced in terms of handling the propaganda concept and practices; it looks at propaganda not only as a cleaver deception played from the politicians but also played in every day social activities advertisers, preachers, organizations planners and so forth.

That's why I think it's balanced. However, I you want to dive into the political side of propaganda, Noam Chomsky and Edward Barneys are your guys.

Defiantly recommend the book to open your eyes for deceiving persuasion
Kara
Dec 28, 2015 Kara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like the person who said I should read this explained, it is very text book written. Very Interesting however.
Banning Leonard
Oct 17, 2007 Banning Leonard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating look at the coercive techniques that individuals and the mass media use to persuade the public to think and act in certain ways. Psychologists Pratkanis and Aronson analyze the purposeful actions, language, and symbolism behind advertising, the promoting of the first Gulf war, cult leaders’ power over individuals, and political elections. This valuable book helps the reader to look at the world with a skeptical eye towards the manipulative print, television, and radio messa ...more
Jay Honeycutt
Dec 08, 2014 Jay Honeycutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended!
Jonathan Jeckell
The text was easy to read and engaging, but a little verbose in making it conversational. I wish the topics were organized a little bit better to summarize or group different forms of persuasion a little better. Also, (ironically?) the author's worldview on a lot of issues seemed to leak through in the examples. Overall it was pretty useful in giving ethical and unethical methods of persuasion as well as countermeasures to help recognize and guard against it.
Δημήτρης Α.
Academic book for sure. Although you would expect it to be somewhat harder and more complex, its not. Easy to read and very entertaining. This book is more about research rather the conspirancy theories based on little hints which gives this book much more credibility.
On the downside some parts get repetitive, and you can clearly see the authors ideology making it sometimes one sided. Overall its a book you should read before you vote..
Mitra
Jun 28, 2007 Mitra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody specially those who live in the west.
This book is about everyday use and abuse of persuation. The goal of modern propaganda is not to inform and enlighten but rather to move the masses toward a desired position or point of view.The first step is take control of the situation and establish a favorable climate for the message that is called pre-persuation. ........
I think it is so intimitating to do whatever propagandists want us to do without let us to think about it.
Rebecca
Aug 21, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is very dense. I found it was very thought-provoking and highly relevant. As someone experiencing my first US election while in the country, I can identify many of the techniques being used. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in critical thinking and free thought.
Jennifer Whiteside
This book was very well written and highly readable for a slightly dry subject. It's a must-read for anyone subjected to advertising or political campaigning. The book points out the ways that advertisers and campaigners use emotions, messengers, and information to sway our thinking.
Ben
Mar 01, 2013 Ben rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More a scholarly read than entertaining, but highly informative. Seeing how widely spread the abuse side of the spectrum is frustrating! You wonder why people aren't more aware of the manipulative tricks that media&advertisers use, that's explained too.
MM
Mar 23, 2010 MM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly readable, interesting ideas, good syntheses of some of the research on persuasion, propaganda and media effects more generally. I use this to teach a course in "media criticism" and I enjoy working with the class on this one.
Rachel
May 16, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting take on persuasion and sales tactics. I found this to be a useful, readable book. I found their debunking of the myth of subconscious advertising's influence most intriguing.
School.
Fabrizio Stucchi
This should be a mandatory ready for anybody at High School, it is simply a description of the world we are living, and how we are conditioned by media and advertisement. A MUST READ!
Alex
Dec 09, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it for class...took me forever. Why? So much useful information. Filled with every facet and variety and case study and scientific study of every sort of persuasion, good and evil.
Michelle
Oct 22, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an enlightening book. We all get trapped by the misuse and abuse of persuasion sometimes. This helps identify it and understand why we are so influenced by people.
Karen
Aug 01, 2013 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The examples are dated, going back to the Clinton administration and the 2000 election. But the principles discussed are sound and well supported by research studies.
Thorlaug Agustsdottir
Feb 09, 2013 Thorlaug Agustsdottir rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mustforlife
A very good book. Read as part of my studies in International Affairs at Copenhagen University, much thanks to Professor Bryder for introducing us to it.
Nate
Oct 26, 2008 Nate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, sociology
Great book. As good a textbook on human motivations and how they can be manipulated as any I've seen.
Julie
Feb 15, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually list academic books, but I'm really enjoying this one. Very good read - and funny too.
Kaspars
Mar 02, 2012 Kaspars rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sociālpsiholoģiskais skatījums uz propagandu! Rekomendēju!
Mollyrose
Jul 20, 2009 Mollyrose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
repetitive, but great for quotes
S
Oct 25, 2015 S marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
303.375 P
Joey
Joey added it
May 24, 2016
Cody
Cody marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Chapter 2 Summary? 1 2 Mar 31, 2014 06:13PM
  • Instant Analysis: How to understand and change the 100 most common, annoying, puzzling, self-defeating behaviors and habits
  • The 10 Women You'll Be Before You're 35
  • Friendship Crisis
  • How We Age: A Doctor's Journey Into the Heart of Growing Old
  • The Triple Bind: Saving Our Teenage Girls from Today's Pressures
  • The Science of Influence: How to Get Anyone to Say "Yes" in 8 Minutes or Less!
  • The People Code: It's All About Your Innate Motive
  • The Social Animal
  • How to Study
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book
  • My Formerly Hot Life: Dispatches from Just the Other Side of Young
  • Propaganda: The Formation of Men's Attitudes
  • The Power of Persuasion: How We're Bought and Sold
  • Leaving a Trace: On Keeping a Journal
  • Propaganda
  • Battle for the Mind: A Physiology of Conversion and Brainwashing - How Evangelists, Psychiatrists, Politicians, and Medicine Men Can Change Your Beliefs and Behavior