Start by marking “American Heroes: In the Fight Against Radical Islam” as Want to Read:
American Heroes: In the Fight Against Radical Islam

American Heroes: In the Fight Against Radical Islam

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  25 reviews
In American Heroes, New York Times bestselling author Oliver North offers an inspiring, first-hand account of the extraordinary young American volunteers defending us against radical Islamic terror. Since 9-11-01, North and his award-winning War Stories documentary team have made a dozen extended trips to Afghanistan, Iraq and the Philippines covering U.S. soldiers, sailor ...more
Audio CD
Published May 1st 2008 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about American Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Heroes

Dave
Dec 31, 2009 Dave is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Here's a snippet: A young marine Lance Corporal had his right arm shattered by a bullet, but used his good arm to help load a seriously wounded companion on the medevac helicopter. At the aid station, he sat next to his wounded friend cradling his head. He asked an observer, "He's dying, isn't he, sir?" The observer choked up and said, "I think he is already gone, son."

Through his tears, the young lance corporal said, "He was my gunny, sir. He was a really good man. He was my hero- not just for
Allison
"Their stories provide a somewhat different perspective than that offered by the mainstream media." This would be the theme of the book. A very postive (sometimes overly so) book based on Ollie North's experience being an embedded journalist. If I had to guess, I'd say he was hanging out with mostly Marines. Lots of pictures.

There are a few endings to stories I would have liked to know (what caused the crash of Dash Two on 3/21/03, what happened to the 11 yr old Iraqi girl burned in a stove fire
Jason
I enjoyed this book. I have been to Iraq (2003-04) and to Afghanistan (2007-08). As people have asked me about my experience, and I try to explain something that foreign to Americans that have never seen anything other than their own towns, I struggle to put my experiences into terms that they can at least somewhat imagine a portion of what I saw/experienced. This is not a war story, but I understand his concepts on a more personal level. He puts into words that which I just haven't been able to ...more
Marcie
Oliver North's latest job is hosting a show on Fox called War Stories, interviewing WWII soldiers and capturing their stories, until 9/11 happens. Then he and his crew are sent 9 times to Iraq, to cover today's soldiers, war as we know it today. He is embedded, just like any other journalist covering the events, given the same parameters of operation, which reminds me...the Pentagon approved way too many journalists, wish I had the book in front of me so I could share the exact shocking number.

S
Zach
I enjoyed the re-telling of North's experiences overseas and his personal accounts with soldiers, but felt that the book should have stayed closer to what I expected when I read it: stories about the men and women fighting in the armed forces. I'm not saying that it is wrong to write about your political opinions, I just didn't expect to read about North's in a book by the title of "American Heroes."
Clay
This is the true story of the War against Radical Islam. This book is for anyone who truly supports the troops because it tells their story. It is also a must read for anyone who wants to understand the war we are in. It is a war that won't end even if we quit and go home from Iraq.
Philip
I had the pleasure of meeting the author and he is a charming man. I liked the honest realistic assessment of the threat to us all by fundamentalism of any kind. Here is also support for those doing their duty, no matter what you think of the justification of this war.
Deborah Boutwell
Jul 24, 2014 Deborah Boutwell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Military, non-fiction
This starts with the 9/11 attacks and gives some history of the war in Iraq, but mainly deals with the life of the soldiers, not the war. Very moving. There is an on-line link to Oliver North's War Stories for viewing.
Rhonda
My husband stole this book from me, so I am no longer reading it! I was only a few chapters in, and I guess it was okay. I have a hard time reading war stuff, for obvious reasons.
Linda Thompson
This book was an excellent read. I would recommend it highly. The book is well written with so many human interest stories, facts about the war and wonderful photos.
catrina
This was a very good book, and it gave me a lot of insight into how much American soldiers and Afghanis alike, sacrificed in their fight against radical islam.
Peter
A truly remarkable book. Don't have to be an American to read this book. Here lies the truth nothing but the whole truth. No make believed.
Jonathan Barlow
We will see... Broadening my range of thought so will let you know at the end of it. So far not impressed with where I think it might be going.
Ronie
An eye-opening account. Very well written--I cried and laughed with these heroes! I can't wait for the next installment coming this fall.
booklady
Sep 15, 2008 booklady marked it as possible-purchase  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to booklady by: Robert Glossup
I'm thinking to purchase these mostly for Christmas and birthday gifts, but who knows, I might want to read them myself?!
Angela Lyons
A fascinating, behind the scenes look at the initial invasion of Iraq from the view of the soldiers on the front lines.
Amy
Very interesting -- I learned some things that I didn't know while at the same time had some other points confirmed.
Ben James
It was a great book telling about all of the latest hero's of America.
Chuck Cowing
Listened to it two years ago, but don't really remember it...
Paul
Good to remember what our US soldiers did for our country.
Andy Valadez
Got to meet Lt. Colonel North. He signed my copy.
Atalie
boringgg i only read sum of it.
Mikey Heiser
Awesome book with great photos!
James Kubecki
James Kubecki marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
MrB
MrB marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Cathy Fitzgerald
Cathy Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Medal of Honor: Profiles of America's Military Heroes from the Civil War to the Present
  • Operation Homecoming: Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Home Front, in the Words of U.S. Troops and Their Families
  • My Men Are My Heroes: The Brad Kasal Story
  • Two Wars: One Hero's Fight on Two Fronts--Abroad and Within
  • The Gift of Valor: A War Story
  • No True Glory: A Frontline Account of the Battle for Fallujah
  • Five Years To Freedom
  • The Savage Wars Of Peace: Small Wars And The Rise Of American Power
  • Ultimate Sniper: An Advanced Training Manual for Military and Police Snipers
  • The Road to Unafraid: How the Army's Top Ranger Faced Fear and Found Courage through Black Hawk Down and Beyond
  • Band of Sisters: American Women at War in Iraq
  • The Hunt for Bin Laden
  • Rule Number Two: Lessons I Learned in a Combat Hospital
  • General Lee's Army: From Victory to Collapse
  • Tomorrow to Be Brave: A Memoir of the Only Woman Ever to Serve in the French Foreign Legion
  • A Better War: The Unexamined Victories and Final Tragedy of America's Last Years in Vietnam
  • Final Salute: A Story of Unfinished Lives
  • Benghazi: The Definitive Report
Mission Compromised (Peter Newman, #1) The Jericho Sanction (Peter Newman, #2) The Assassins (Peter Newman, #3) Under Fire: An American Story - The Explosive Autobiography of Oliver North Heroes Proved (Peter Newman, #4)