Start by marking “American Heroes: In the Fight Against Radical Islam” as Want to Read:
American Heroes: In the Fight Against Radical Islam

American Heroes: In the Fight Against Radical Islam

In American Heroes, New York Times bestselling author Oliver North offers an inspiring, first-hand account of the extraordinary young American volunteers defending us against radical Islamic terror. Since 9-11-01, North and his award-winning War Stories documentary team have made a dozen extended trips to Afghanistan, Iraq and the Philippines covering U.S. soldiers, sailor ...more
Audio CD
Published May 1st 2008 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about American Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Heroes

Dave
Dec 31, 2009 Dave is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Here's a snippet: A young marine Lance Corporal had his right arm shattered by a bullet, but used his good arm to help load a seriously wounded companion on the medevac helicopter. At the aid station, he sat next to his wounded friend cradling his head. He asked an observer, "He's dying, isn't he, sir?" The observer choked up and said, "I think he is already gone, son."

Through his tears, the young lance corporal said, "He was my gunny, sir. He was a really good man. He was my hero- not just for
Allison
Feb 24, 2009 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Their stories provide a somewhat different perspective than that offered by the mainstream media." This would be the theme of the book. A very postive (sometimes overly so) book based on Ollie North's experience being an embedded journalist. If I had to guess, I'd say he was hanging out with mostly Marines. Lots of pictures.

There are a few endings to stories I would have liked to know (what caused the crash of Dash Two on 3/21/03, what happened to the 11 yr old Iraqi girl burned in a stove fire
Jason
May 11, 2009 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I have been to Iraq (2003-04) and to Afghanistan (2007-08). As people have asked me about my experience, and I try to explain something that foreign to Americans that have never seen anything other than their own towns, I struggle to put my experiences into terms that they can at least somewhat imagine a portion of what I saw/experienced. This is not a war story, but I understand his concepts on a more personal level. He puts into words that which I just haven't been able to ...more
Deborah Boutwell
Aug 13, 2009 Deborah Boutwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Military, non-fiction
This starts with the 9/11 attacks and gives some history of the war in Iraq, but mainly deals with the life of the soldiers, not the war. Very moving. There is an on-line link to Oliver North's War Stories for viewing.
Clay
Jul 21, 2008 Clay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the true story of the War against Radical Islam. This book is for anyone who truly supports the troops because it tells their story. It is also a must read for anyone who wants to understand the war we are in. It is a war that won't end even if we quit and go home from Iraq.
Linda Thompson
Mar 07, 2014 Linda Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an excellent read. I would recommend it highly. The book is well written with so many human interest stories, facts about the war and wonderful photos.
Marcie
Apr 11, 2009 Marcie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oliver North's latest job is hosting a show on Fox called War Stories, interviewing WWII soldiers and capturing their stories, until 9/11 happens. Then he and his crew are sent 9 times to Iraq, to cover today's soldiers, war as we know it today. He is embedded, just like any other journalist covering the events, given the same parameters of operation, which reminds me...the Pentagon approved way too many journalists, wish I had the book in front of me so I could share the exact shocking number.

S
Rich Humes
I have no problem with books that promote ideologies, religions, and other deep held principles. That's not what this book is advertised as, but that's what it is.

North is correct, these stories of heroism are underreported and NEED to be told.

When he had the chance to do that very thing he used the stories to bookend his political opinions. A huge percentage of this book isn't about telling heroic stories, it's about promoting HIS political agenda, HIS religion, and HIS network.

North takes a
Lauren
Mar 25, 2016 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny thing, I've seen this book on my shelf for sometime, but I cannot remember how it got there. I don't recall buying it, nor do I remember someone giving it to me. It's actually an autographed copy, too. So finally in March 2016 I decide to take it off the shelf and read it. It really is a fascinating and insightful first-hand account of "boots on the ground" in Iraq. Oliver North wrote it based upon nine (9) different trips to Iraq between 2003 & 2007 in his role as host and reporter fo ...more
Zach
Jul 30, 2014 Zach rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the re-telling of North's experiences overseas and his personal accounts with soldiers, but felt that the book should have stayed closer to what I expected when I read it: stories about the men and women fighting in the armed forces. I'm not saying that it is wrong to write about your political opinions, I just didn't expect to read about North's in a book by the title of "American Heroes."
Philip
I had the pleasure of meeting the author and he is a charming man. I liked the honest realistic assessment of the threat to us all by fundamentalism of any kind. Here is also support for those doing their duty, no matter what you think of the justification of this war.
Ashlee
Nov 06, 2012 Ashlee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good :)
Rhonda
Sep 21, 2008 Rhonda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My husband stole this book from me, so I am no longer reading it! I was only a few chapters in, and I guess it was okay. I have a hard time reading war stuff, for obvious reasons.
Amy
May 13, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting -- I learned some things that I didn't know while at the same time had some other points confirmed.
Ben James
It was a great book telling about all of the latest hero's of America.
booklady
Sep 15, 2008 booklady marked it as possible-purchase  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to booklady by: Robert Glossup
I'm thinking to purchase these mostly for Christmas and birthday gifts, but who knows, I might want to read them myself?!
Atalie
boringgg i only read sum of it.
Angela Lyons
Mar 15, 2010 Angela Lyons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating, behind the scenes look at the initial invasion of Iraq from the view of the soldiers on the front lines.
Catrina
Apr 10, 2012 Catrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
This was a very good book, and it gave me a lot of insight into how much American soldiers and Afghanis alike, sacrificed in their fight against radical islam.
Chuck Cowing
Listened to it two years ago, but don't really remember it...
Jonathan Barlow
We will see... Broadening my range of thought so will let you know at the end of it. So far not impressed with where I think it might be going.
Peter
Oct 04, 2011 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: war-non-fiction
A truly remarkable book. Don't have to be an American to read this book. Here lies the truth nothing but the whole truth. No make believed.
Ronie
Jul 04, 2010 Ronie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An eye-opening account. Very well written--I cried and laughed with these heroes! I can't wait for the next installment coming this fall.
Andy Valadez
Dec 02, 2012 Andy Valadez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
Got to meet Lt. Colonel North. He signed my copy.
Paul
Oct 06, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good to remember what our US soldiers did for our country.
Kyle Noll
Kyle Noll rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Dean Stoffel
Dean Stoffel rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Faith
Faith rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Dave Brahosky
Dave Brahosky rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2012
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Medal of Honor: Profiles of America's Military Heroes from the Civil War to the Present
  • Operation Homecoming: Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Home Front, in the Words of U.S. Troops and Their Families
  • Two Wars: One Hero's Fight on Two Fronts--Abroad and Within
  • Give Me Tomorrow: The Korean War's Greatest Untold Story
  • Surgeon in Blue: Jonathan Letterman, the Civil War Doctor Who Pioneered Battlefield Care
  • The Hunt for Bin Laden
  • The Wizards Of Langley: Inside The Cia's Directorate Of Science And Technology
  • A Life of Gen. Robert E. Lee
  • Stalking the Red Bear: The True Story of a U.S. Cold War Submarine's Covert Operations Against the Soviet Union
  • The Bloody Battle of Suribachi: The Amazing Story of Iwo Jima That Inspired Flags of Our Fathers
  • The Silent War: The Cold War Battle Beneath the Sea
  • Three Months in the Southern States: April-June 1863
  • Ernie's War: The Best of Ernie Pyle's World War II Dispatches
  • The War Of Independence
  • The Last Undercover: The True Story of an FBI Agent's Dangerous Dance with Evil
  • The Road to Unafraid: How the Army's Top Ranger Faced Fear and Found Courage through Black Hawk Down and Beyond
  • Five Years To Freedom
  • War in the Air

“The Bible says there is a time for peace and a time for war. Now is the time for war. I cannot wait to say it is now a time for peace." — MAJ James Brisson, Chaplain, 1-160th SOAR, 19 October 2001, Afghanistan” 1 likes
“For some, a hero wears a spandex suit and a cape. My heroes wear flak jackets, flight suits, and combat boots.” 1 likes