Start by marking “Calling, The: A Year in the Life of an Order of Nuns” as Want to Read:
Calling, The: A Year in the Life of an Order of Nuns

Calling, The: A Year in the Life of an Order of Nuns

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
There is something vital and totally relevant about the religious life as practiced by nuns today. There is a reason why we are fascinated by these women who maintain a mysterious aura even when they are no longer cloaked in the garb of old. What draws women to this sacrificial life? What is the gratification that comes from taking vows of poverty, chastity and obedience? ...more
Audio CD, Abridged
Published February 15th 2008 by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Calling, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calling, The

Booklover
It look me forever to finish this book. I would not say it's a compelling read, and in 2015 it is definitely a bit dated.

Part-autobiography, part-journalist vignettes, it just didn't keep my attention. I got through the majority of this title, after I first checked it out in August of last year; with one or two renewals. Today, I decided it was finally time to put it to bed and finish it. I skimmed sections to refresh my recollection, so I could try to write a semi-coherent review.

There is lit
Cat.
Jul 05, 2015 Cat. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author went to Catholic high school in the early 60s, a time of dramatic change in the Catholic Church. Her teachers were all nuns, and she contemplated taking vows as a nun herself. When the Mother Prioress suggested she take some time to be sure she was called to that vocation she was so crushed she effectively left the church in her past.

About three decades later, she was asked to write about nuns by her publisher and headed back to the Seattle area to re-immerse herself in the life of th
Sandy lewis
Jun 19, 2015 Sandy lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very inspiring to read. Has anyone else read this book before?
Willa Grant
This book was not what I expected. It is so much of the author's personal life journey & yet she captures the feeling & reality of having a calling to be a religious. I was happy to have read this book, though it certainly did not answer the questions I had or give an exclusive look into the question of a calling.
Amy
Jan 03, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People who know me well will laugh at this: I've always kind of wanted to be a nun. It's a very attractive lifestyle. Unfortunately, Lutherans don't have nuns, and I'm not about to change my religion just to get a rosary. This is a fascinating look into the lives of modern day nuns.
Pam Frost Gorder
Feb 17, 2013 Pam Frost Gorder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, nuns
The author, who herself considered becoming a nun in her early years of a Catholic education, gives an inside look at what it means to be nun today, and how that meaning has evolved over the last few decades.
Cindy
Mar 18, 2011 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I like it. What calls them to this life? Great spiritual insight
Hope McCormick
It was interesting, but it wasn't what I expected.
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
A
A added it
Jul 04, 2016
Eileen
Eileen is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Josephine
Josephine marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Janice Putt
Janice Putt rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Diane May
Diane May marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Cat Imakittycat
Cat Imakittycat rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Colleen Alles
Colleen Alles marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Rachel Adrianna
Rachel Adrianna marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Lisa of Hopewell
Lisa of Hopewell rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2015
tx
tx rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015