Start by marking “The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press)” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press)

The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse (Illustrated Edition) (The Bedtime Story Books)

Thornton Waldo Burgess (1874-1965) was a conservationist and author of children[s stories featuring the wildlife of his native state. He was born in Sandwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. His first book was Old Mother West Wind (1910). Following its success, he wrote a syndicated daily newspaper column, Bedtime Stories (illustrated by Harrison Cady), which appeared without int ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Dodo Press (first published 1915)

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse (Illustrated Edition)

Karin
My 7 yr old gave these books a 5. I agree. "His books are awesome' she says.I liked the way morals were told in an entertaining way. I bet my daughter didn't feel she was being moralized at because she wanted to hear the whole book. I've tried others that had a distinct 'moral' or 'value' and she hates it.(Books that go ... is thankful or ... learns to be honest. blah.

Burgess books are interesting entertaining and a good read. Hopefully the little lessons learned by the animals were also learned
Jimyanni
Jan 03, 2017 Jimyanni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
The Thornton Burgess series in general is quite an endearing series of children's books, which do a fine job of being readable by young readers and having interesting plots and introducing young people to a variety of animals in a semi-anthropomorphized way. This particular entry, "The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse" is one of the best of the lot, and it's a delightful read for a youngster, or for an older person who is willing to be a child again for the hour or so that it would take to read ...more
Mac
Jan 11, 2017 Mac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable books to read to my kids before bed. Cute and has little lessons. Reminds me, indeed, of Potter.
Jonathan Marshall
The Burgess Books

This is a phrase that brings a smile to my face as often as I hear it. As a young child, I would lose myself for hours in the simple world of the wood and pond inhabited by Little Joe Otter, Buster Bear, Grandfather Frog, and terrorized by Farmer Brown's Boy. I can remember the very shelf, even the exact spot in the little library in Felton, CA where these books were kept. I would return practically every week with a new armload to last me until our next trip to the library. Of
Markus
Aug 29, 2014 Markus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this series when I was in Elementary school and back then I thought they were Shakespeare. I recently found these on Librivox and decided to download this one to my mp3 player. It was a dramatized version and I remembered nothing of the stories' plots at all, other than knowing they were about talking animals.

The characters are cute, and the format is perfect for bedtime stories, imagining someone reading a chapter a night. The repeat plot points from chapter to chapter so I'm sure that
Tim
Oct 09, 2014 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-0-5
Superb book to read at bedtime (to children 3 & 5). Chapters are just the right length. Often we read two back to back because they are so short. But we also regularly had to read two back to back because the story gripped us so much! Peppered with complex characters, good lessons amidst simple plots and very readable text. My American accent needs work though!!
Katy
Sep 15, 2010 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this to the kids this summer. All of the books by Burgess are wonderful. Filled with moral lessons, wonderful songs and poetry. They are so fun to read aloud. My children loved this one because there were at least 5 different characters involved in the same conversations. I change my voice for each characters and they just love that.
Mckinley
Apr 17, 2014 Mckinley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, animal, series, rodent
There's a series of stories each focusing on a different animal in the forest. This one is (mostly) about a mouse; there's a lot of running around to escape from predators. I liked it less than the others. Read the series to get the perspective for different animals. Fun to read aloud for up to 8 years old I think.
Dana
May 15, 2012 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
Exciting story with charming morals built in

Review #2: the delights of homeschooling include revisiting old favorites every few years
Deanna
Mar 02, 2013 Deanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all the Thornton Burgess books from my childhood. They are free on Kindle and our girls love them!
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2014
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2007
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2008
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Willow
Willow rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2008
Eric Compean
Eric Compean rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2009
Douglas G. Danforth
Douglas G. Danforth rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
May 02, 2008
Penny-Ann Steel
Penny-Ann Steel rated it liked it
May 02, 2016
Lindsay Bolton
Lindsay Bolton rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Tammi Hofstetter
Tammi Hofstetter rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Jared Dunn
Jared Dunn rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2010
Cathy Lirette Targett
Cathy Lirette Targett rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
Geoffrey Kabaservice
Geoffrey Kabaservice rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2016
  • Stories of the Pilgrims
  • The House Of Thirty Cats
  • This Country of Ours
  • Fifty Famous People
  • The Wonder Clock or, Four and Twenty Marvelous Tales
  • Paddington Marches on (Paddington, #6)
  • The Little Duke
  • Norman the Doorman
  • Silver Packages: An Appalachian Christmas Story
  • The Story of Rolf & the Viking Bow
  • The Beginner's Bible
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...

The Bedtime Story Books (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Adventures of Bob White