Start by marking “The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press)” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press)
Preview

The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse (Illustrated Edition) (The Bedtime Story-Books)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Thornton Waldo Burgess (1874-1965) was a conservationist and author of childrenas stories featuring the wildlife of his native state. He was born in Sandwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. His first book was Old Mother West Wind (1910). Following its success, he wrote a syndicated daily newspaper column, Bedtime Stories (illustrated by Harrison Cady), which appeared without int ...more
Published October 31st 2008 by Dodo Press (first published 1915)

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Danny Meadow Mouse (Illustrated Edition)

Karin
My 7 yr old gave these books a 5. I agree. "His books are awesome' she says.I liked the way morals were told in an entertaining way. I bet my daughter didn't feel she was being moralized at because she wanted to hear the whole book. I've tried others that had a distinct 'moral' or 'value' and she hates it.(Books that go ... is thankful or ... learns to be honest. blah.

Burgess books are interesting entertaining and a good read. Hopefully the little lessons learned by the animals were also learned
Markus
I read this series when I was in Elementary school and back then I thought they were Shakespeare. I recently found these on Librivox and decided to download this one to my mp3 player. It was a dramatized version and I remembered nothing of the stories' plots at all, other than knowing they were about talking animals.

The characters are cute, and the format is perfect for bedtime stories, imagining someone reading a chapter a night. The repeat plot points from chapter to chapter so I'm sure that
Jonathan Marshall
The Burgess Books

This is a phrase that brings a smile to my face as often as I hear it. As a young child, I would lose myself for hours in the simple world of the wood and pond inhabited by Little Joe Otter, Buster Bear, Grandfather Frog, and terrorized by Farmer Brown's Boy. I can remember the very shelf, even the exact spot in the little library in Felton, CA where these books were kept. I would return practically every week with a new armload to last me until our next trip to the library. Of
Tim
Superb book to read at bedtime (to children 3 & 5). Chapters are just the right length. Often we read two back to back because they are so short. But we also regularly had to read two back to back because the story gripped us so much! Peppered with complex characters, good lessons amidst simple plots and very readable text. My American accent needs work though!!
Mckinley
There's a series of stories each focusing on a different animal in the forest. This one is (mostly) about a mouse; there's a lot of running around to escape from predators. I liked it less than the others. Read the series to get the perspective for different animals. Fun to read aloud for up to 8 years old I think.
Katy
I read this to the kids this summer. All of the books by Burgess are wonderful. Filled with moral lessons, wonderful songs and poetry. They are so fun to read aloud. My children loved this one because there were at least 5 different characters involved in the same conversations. I change my voice for each characters and they just love that.
Deanna
I love all the Thornton Burgess books from my childhood. They are free on Kindle and our girls love them!
Patricia Ann
Excellant lessons for both adults and children to contemplate and learn from.
Wendalynn Donnan
One of the first "chapter books" I read as a child.
Sashae
it was ok. a little kid would really enjoy
Dana
Exciting story with charming morals built in
Thomas
I would give this book _10_ stars!
Bondboy
Bondboy marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Amanda Leigh
Amanda Leigh marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Andrea Jardon
Andrea Jardon is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2015
Kyndal Hoepken
Kyndal Hoepken marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Christephi
Christephi marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Ash
Ash marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Beth Sniffs Books
Beth Sniffs Books marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Terrikuns
Terrikuns marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Jennifer is currently reading it
Mar 05, 2015
Zeb Weese
Zeb Weese marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
  • The Adventures of Buster Bear (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • Three Terrible Trins
  • The Little Duke
  • The Tale of Ginger and Pickles
  • The Turret (The Rescuers, #3)
  • Paddington Marches on (Paddington, #6)
  • Leif the Lucky
  • This Country of Ours
  • Thomas (The Deptford Histories, #3)
  • Blaze and the Forest Fire: Billy and Blaze Spread the Alarm
  • The Wonder Clock or, Four and Twenty Marvelous Tales
  • The Book of Sorrows (Chauntecleer the Rooster, #2)
  • The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow
  • How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the World
  • Mother Goose in Prose
  • American History Stories You Never Read in School but Should Have (Vol.1)
  • The Battle of Riptide (Sharks Wars, #2)
  • The Long Road (The Last Dogs, #3)
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...

The Bedtime Story-Books (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Adventures of Bob White
  • The Adventures of Mr. Mocker
  • The Adventures of Old Man Coyote
  • The Adventures of Old Mr. Toad
  • The Adventures of Ol' Mistah Buzzard
The Adventures of Peter Cottontail Old Mother West Wind The Burgess Bird Book for Children The Adventures of Reddy Fox The Adventures of Old Mr. Toad