Start by marking “Strangers in Death” as Want to Read:
Strangers in Death

Strangers in Death (In Death #26)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  11,980 ratings  ·  432 reviews
Technology may be different in 2060 New York, yet the city is still a place of many cultures and great divides. And as ever, some murders receive more attention than others - especially those in which the victim is a prominent businessman, found in his Park Avenue apartment, tied to the bed - and strangled - with cords of black velvet.

It doesn’t surprise Lieutenant Eve Dal...more
Audio CD
Published February 19th 2008 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Strangers in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strangers in Death

The Listmaker
Another solid entry in the series. There seems to be two approaches with this series. A) Reveal the guilty party or parties early (about one third of the way through the book) and the remainder is how Dallas captures them and proves them guilty. B) A slower build up to the reveal (about two thirds of the way through the book) with a few red herrings thrown in, allowing the reader to figure out whodunit for themselves.

This book takes the first approach. While that is fine, I'd rather be challenge...more
Felicia
Maybe it's because I've read about 22 of these in a row, but the "spark" is starting to die a bit. GASP! I mean, I still LOVE these books, but I feel like the last few haven't had enough at stake emotionally for the main characters. The conflict in their relationship really drove the first dozen or so. I'm hankering for some head-butting between the two leads so they can "make up" after, hehe. :)
Gina
A Hitchcockian feel not everyone will like.

When Eve is called to a homicide on Park Avenue, she finds herself in the bedroom of Thomas Anders, sports fanatic and the head of Anders Worldwide. Sixty-one, he, like his father before him, ran a top enterprise of sporting-goods turned into more; several cities set up to help underprivileged children with sporting-goods to play sports. Unfortunately, Anders’s life was cut short. His body was found by his House Manager (housekeeper); each arm and leg t...more
Maria
You can see the following review also here: http://loveandlivetoread.wordpress.co...

I don’t believe that it’s possible to rate a book in this series with less than five stars. Why? Because these books are the perfect example for a mystery / crime genre! For one more time our favorite characters are trying to solve a murder while living their own life.

In this story, Eve has to solve the murder of a man that everyone knew. She knew from the beginning who did it but she had to find the evidence. Fo
Karen
This is the first book I have read by J.D. Robb, but I have read a few Nora Roberts books. I liked her writing style in this futuristic, police, crime mystery. Even though this was book #26 in the Death Series, I didn't feel too lost. I'm sure earlier books deal more with the past and personal lives of the main characters... information I am missing.

At any rate, I enjoyed the characters especially Roarke. He's sexy, funny and rich and his personality, very likable. His wife Eve is more manly in...more
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Another great addition to the In-Death series. All the usual players are back. The mystery is the central figure in this one. For the second book Eve doesn't wake with nightmares about her father. Could this be a sign that she's actually becoming more human? Another trend I've noticed over the last couple of books is that Eve is doing more of the command position thing rather than the lone wolf thing. Due for Captain bars soon? Hard to say. A solid 3.5 stars.
Tina
This is the 26th book in the In Death series.

Sports Goods Tycoon Thomas Anders is murdered in his own bed. He is tied up with velvet ropes and there are other sex-toy paraphernalia around the body and in the bedroom. A kinky tryst gone bad? Eve doesn't think so. At first glance maybe, but looking at the body and other evidence in the room, it looks like a carefully planned murder to NYC's top murder cop.

As Eve track's back through the victim's life she bumps up against a grieving wife, a nephew...more
mlady_rebecca
I run out of things to say about this series. It's not the mysteries so much as the characters that bring me back again and again. I just love Eve and Roarke and the magical chemistry they have with each other. I love a couple that can do that verbal banter thing. *g*

Roarke points out that Eve takes the current case a little differently. Instead of being consumed with the case, she's fired up because she knows who did it, and she just has to prove it.

On the personal front, wedding bells will rin...more
Kimz Zahour
This twenty sixth book in the "In Death" series (or thirty first... if you count the novellas and Remember When, where the story of a crime begins in our time by Nora Roberts and the mystery is solved in the future during the second half of the book written as J.D. Robb) was just as easy to gobble up as all of the rest.
It's set three days before spring, in late March of 2060 but it's still very cold in futuristic New York City... reminds me of the winter we are having this year near Chicago.
The...more
Elvan
Strangers is possibly my least favourite book in the series next only to some really bad novellas. I found the case boring and the villain obnoxious. This is the one book in the series where I join the ranks of many JD Robb fans in finding Eve too harsh, cold and heartless. Her interview with Suzanne Custer really bothers me. Yes, the woman has a lot to answer for, but Eve's grilling is IMO a bit over the top.

Instead I look for the little things in this novel to capture my interest. The scene wi...more
Kirsten
Jul 18, 2014 Kirsten rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Nick and Nora
I really love this series. However, the last couple of books haven't been up to her high standards. Although, I do have to say, this one had one of the better mysteries. Normally, the mystery is secondary for me. The relationship between Roarke and Eve is wonderful. One of the other bright spots is how she develops all the surrounding characters as well. Peabody, McNab, Mira, Feeney, and so on.

However, I have been hoping they would do a little more the main couples to progress them. Maybe that'...more
bookish
A few books ago, the "In Death" series started to get a little stale for me, but this one and the book before it really reminded me of why I liked this series so much in the first place. The great secondary characters, the wonderful love stories, and the mysteries that aren't all that difficult to unravel but nevertheless fun following through from beginning to end were all here. I especially like that the mystery here was based on "Strangers on a Train" by Patricia Highsmith, which I really do...more
Jane Lee
I read the In Death series randomly and not through the series itself. Nevertheless, I judge the In Death series from how it entertained me, how the murder was done and who the killer is.

The Strangers In Death ran the same course as that of the movie Strangers on the Train, a twist which surprised me and made the novel so much more enjoyable.

The characters were their usual self, endearing and charming in their own way. The thing I love the most about this novel is its shock value, which are pers...more
Taylor Funk
"Strangers in Death" by JD Robb is a great futuristic crime story taking place in 2060 in New York city. As Lieut. Eve Dallas has another big kiss and another girly thing to do. Lucky for her she has the support of a good man. Her husband helps her with her crying cases, especially this one was she featured at the prime target.
"Strangers in death" is a great mystery novel. This book kept popping with twists. The mystery just kept getting more and more intense making me not want to put the book...more
Ed
#26 in the Eve Dallas, "In Death", series. This entry differs somewhat from the norm. Dallas is convinced of the killer's identity fairly early on and the novel concentrates on the police work necessary to unearth and link the necessary evidence. This task is daunting until a light goes on as Dallas provides a second look at one of Detective Baxter's stalled cases. Enjoyable read.

Eve Dallas series - Technology may be different in 2060 New York, yet the city is still a place of many cultures and...more
Bonnie
Creation in Death and Strangers in Death by J.D. Robb - Had a hard time getting into Creation but it turned out to be a pretty good mystery. I definitely liked the Eve/Roarke relationship in that one better than in Strangers. I don't like when E/R fight because most of the time, they're fighting over something so unbelievably petty that, for me, it ruins any heat that might be generated. Neither would be a favorite book, but they wouldn't be near the bottom of the list, either.
Alfredo Kamile Resendiz
The setting of “Strangers in Death” is in the city of New York. The Year of 2060 where the world is a futuristic world but still dealing with crimes being committed leaving police like Lieutenant Eve Dallas to solve. I could say that this book has various settings but personally the main ones are where the murder took place which was the apartment of Thomas A Anders and the mind of the Lieutenant Eve Dallas. These settings allow us to have moods that are shivering.
The Lieutenant Eve Dallas is yo...more
Caro
Slick and twisted. Emotions, slick characters, aggravation, some worrisome friends, lots of trails without any bread crumbs, some tough parts, the magic finger with Summerset (that was a little fun), Surprise!, some more lines, some clicks and tingles, stage set, action, and watch the master at work. Great ending and a great way to getting there. Another page turner that doesn't let you go. Enjoy!
Jane L.
It's been a while since I read a mystery as entertaining as this! Thanks to Bessie and Kim, I was motivated to start...then couldn't put it down. Set in the future, there's enough to keep me intrigued in the gadgets without overkill. Our heroine still sports a classic blazer, so it's not THAT futuristic. And human nature being what it is, there are plenty of twists and turns to make it interesting.
wordsanddaffodils
I'm not sure what's wrong with me lately with this series but I just can't get into it lately. The was good, yes. it wasn't bad. But it just didn't grab me, which it used to. It was a challenge to read the small amount that did read. I'm not sure but I'm just not really liking it at the moment. Which makes me upset really because this was one of my favorite series/authors to read.
Kjen
Re-read: So many things to love about Strangers:) The "superior lay" story line, Roarke flicking off street thugs with his "boyo" look, intimidating the albino bartender at the sex club(Power of Roarke), the "masterful eye-f*ch part, the fight about money, Eve comparing Ava Anders to Magdabitch and getting tingly for taking her down, etc, etc,etc....Sometimes I just need me some E&R!
Karen
I am not sure how I stumbled upong JD Robb and the Eve Dallas series but I am thrilled that I have done so.
I listen to most of these because I LOVE, LOVE, yeah LOVE the woman who reads them. Fabulous vocal artist. Can NOT get enough of them.
Download them now FREE from your local library.
Cynthia
I almost always love these books and I loved this one. I had figured out the twist about 1/3 of the way through but that didn't hinder my enjoyment. I've read a lot of murder mysteries so I spotted this particular element early on. But these 'In Death' books aren't really whodunnits most of the time anyway. It's watching Eve close in on the killer or killers, watching her spin her web, lay her trap and 'get her man' that is the fun of it. And watching the characters develop and grow, not just Ev...more
Thenia
I'm really enjoying the series and its colorful characters.

In this case Eve pretty much knows who the bad guy is but can't figure out how to prove it. I don't know if it's because I'd previously read a spoiler somewhere or I've just become that suspicious, but I saw the twist coming from the beginning. That didn't make listening to the book any less enjoyable though, and the journey before the closing of the case any less interesting.

I know there are still quite a few books remaining in the seri...more
Donna Siebold
Eve Dallas is back investigating the death of Thomas Anders. Mr. Anders is a well-respected middle-aged businessman who has been found dead in circumstances that strongly suggest he had some pretty kinky bedroom habits. But, nothing in Eve's investigation brings up anyone who knows anything about such habits. At least nothing that doesn't link directly back to the victim's considerably younger wife. Eve's instincts tell her Mrs. Anders has some secrets of her own and apparently one of them invol...more
Alex ☯the last Took standing☯
Ok, I'll cut it to the chase: this is a good book; not a great one, but a good one. And this fact has to do more with the way the story is told than with the story itself.

This was my first Nora Roberts book, and I must say I'm impressed with her writing style. She took me through a tale with a bit too many flaws in a swift and enjoyable way, which surprised me because I don't normally continue reading a book which I find flaws in. Well... there aren't "flaws" actually. It's just one: the Lieute...more
Wyndy
Strangers in Death is a futuristic police mystery. Set in 2060 in New York. Eve Dallas is a Lieutenant in the homicide division. I gathered from the references throughout the book that this book was part of a series although I haven't read any of the previous ones. Sometimes the references were a smidgen confusing but the book can definitely stand on it's own. A wealthy man has been murdered in a secure penthouse with no one in the apartment and no signs of breakin, however, the security CD's ha...more
Kara Jorges
Doing a 180 after the last lackluster Eve Dallas mystery, Robb takes us back to New York 2060 when Eve tags a new case. Thomas A. Anders, the sportswear king, is found dead in his bed, naked and apparently in the throes of something pretty kinky when he died. Something about the scene is off, however. Anders was drugged up to his eyeballs and passed out cold when he choked to death, and the security disks show that his killer left the scene well before he died. Eve’s investigation doesn’t turn u...more
Aisha Oaktree
It's another day in Eve's world and another murder has taken place, this time to a prominent business man, one well liked by the business community. there are almost no leads, but Eve has her instincts and they tell her who the killer is from the get go. This time I both agreed with her logic but needed her to prove it & boy did she prove it.

I have my issues with Eve (i'll share those another time) but I do love her world. Her secondary characters truly help to make the book, i personally wi...more
Lynda Tatad
I'm a big fan of JD Robb's In Death series! Each murder mystery may be resolved in each story, but the characters have evolved from book to book, so this is definitel a series to be read in chronological order. I also love that it takes place about 50 years in the future!

Lt. Eve Dallas's latest homicide case involves a prominent businessman, found in his Park Avenue bedroom, tied up and strangled in his bed by black velvet ropes. As she invesigates and learns about the victim, she discovers the...more
J.D. Robb : Strangers in Death (Spoiler Zone) 16 60 Jan 23, 2014 12:30PM
Romance Readers R...: Another Year of J.D. Robb: Books 15 – 26 285 348 Dec 27, 2013 07:31AM
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • Hot Rocks
  • All Through the Night: A Troubleshooter Christmas (Troubleshooters, #12)
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline....more
More about J.D. Robb...
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)

“Why doesn't it bother her? Seriously, it doesn't. She's not putting on a front. She's in a serious relationship with a guy who has sex with other women for a living, and it doesn't matter to her."

"I married a cop." Roarke smiled at her. "We all have our levels of acceptance. He was an LC when they met, just as she was a doctor, and one who often works in dangerous areas of the city."

She shot him the same easy smile. "So...if I'd been an LC when we met, you wouldn't have any problem with me banging other guys. Professionally."

"None at all, as I'd kick your ass and murder all of them. But that's my level of acceptance.”
22 likes
“Your view on this is narrow. That’s how you’re built.” It didn’t feel narrow to her. It felt right. “Marriage is a promise. That’s one of the ways you talked me into it. If you break one part of the promise, it’s going to crack other parts.” 3 likes