Start by marking “Gone to Texas” as Want to Read:
Gone to Texas

Gone to Texas

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Josey Wales is out for blood. The Union Army slaughtered his family and lured his friends into a death trap under the guise of a white flag. The war may be over, but he refuses to surrender. No matter how far he has to ride, no matter how high the price on his head, no matter how much he hurts or hungers - he will get his vengeance.
Published December 1st 1976 by Amereon Limited (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Gone to Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone to Texas

Steve
I’ve been meaning to get back to some sort of review on this one, especially since it seems the same-titled Eastwood movie is now showing all the time on various cable channels. I think it’s now considered a “classic” Western. It’s a pretty good movie, and I seem to like it better now than when it first came out.

The book, The Outlaw Josey Wales is not a movie tie-in novel. The original effort was actually titled The Rebel Outlaw: Josey Wales, and Gone to Texas (which I think also contains the o
Jim
A very good read. I would have given it 4 stars except there was a little too much pistol fanning, tied down holsters & other such Hollywood ideas. It was somewhat different than the movie, but both were a lot of fun. Eastwood did a great job both directing & starring in the movie version.

The book does contain a lot of good & accurate historical information. It really gives a good perspective of what things were like for those who lost or were just collateral damage in the Civil War.
Mike (the Paladin)
This isn't the edition of the book I found, but since I can't find the ISBN or any details...I've left the picture there. It's the same book.

Most western fans have probably seen the movie, The Outlaw Josey Wales, and it's a good movie. This is one of those cases (and they are few) where while there are significant differences in the book and the movie, they are both good and worth the reading and viewing.

Unfortunately this book has had some trouble "living down" it's author who was apparently a
David
I hardly ever read western novels, which is really strange because I love western movies, particularly those of Clint Eastwood. I could talk about the Dollars trilogy all day — and have done so, much to the chagrin of those around me. But Eastwood’s range extends far beyond his early spaghetti westerns, and I believe The Outlaw Josey Wales to be one of his better films. To paraphrase Orson Welles oft quoted opinion of Josey Wales, that if it had been directed by anyone else but Clint Eastwood, i ...more
Charles
Normally I like books better than movies, but not in this case. This is the book that "The Outlaw Josey Wales" was based on, starring Clint Eastwood. The movie is infinitely better than the book. Forrest Carter has a real irritating writing style that never let me really get into the book.

I read the book first under the title, "Gone To Texas," which it was also published as. The cover of my version is not like this one.

Apparently, the book was first self-published under the title: "The Rebel Out
Chris
I went looking for this book after seeing the Clint Eastwood movie version named 'The Outlaw Josey Wales'

Josey Wales is an ex-Confederate guerilla turned fugitive. He joined the Confederacy after his family were murdered in cold blood by Union troops. When the war ended Josey refused to surrender and goes on the run in an attempt to escape to Texas, a haven for outlaws. A trail of carnage follows in his wake as desperate men confront him to gain reward money.

The book doesn't seek to challenge s
George
Saw this in a used bookshop. Needed something easy to read to wind down at the end of some long days. Had seen the movie years ago and enjoyed it. The book was okay. Pretty simple. Typical western. Enjoyed it but it's not something you need to seek out or remember.
Mohammed
A powerful,exciting story with good,real characters. I enjoyed how gritty but also down to earth Josey Wales himself was written.
Joshua
The book that became the film “The Outlaw Josey Wales”. Josey Wales, aka the Baddest Man Alive, refuses to make peace with the north in the aftermath of the Civil War, resulting in him becoming a fugitive.

About 60-70 percent of the movie is taken from the book. However, the movie is a revisionist western; the book is what I like to call “western classic”. I’m not a big fan of western classic but this is western classic done very well.

Almost all the elements of western classic are here. Men were
Kit★
Watched the movie based on this book probably a year or two ago. I have it on DVD, but I've only watched it the once. But I liked it. I really got a thing for Eastwood's Westerns, to me he is that archetype of the tough, stoic, gunslinger man, good at fightin', good at surviving, good at taking care of people they feel need to be taken care of. I knew I was going to like this book a whole lot. And I did, from the first chapter. I was there with Josey through it all. The writing was that sparse s ...more
Rick Diehl
Nov 03, 2013 Rick Diehl rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: White supremacists who are fans of western stories
Recommended to Rick by: Clint Eastwood
It's funny how you can read a book and see it as one thing, but then find out something about the author that competently changes the message of something they wrote. I certainly have that trouble with both of Carter's Josey Wales books, "Gone to Texas" and "The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales".

See when I first read these books in the late 1970's I had no idea that Forest Carter was actually Asa Carter, former Ku Klux Klan leader, committed segregationist and one time speech writer for Alabama go
Anthony
The Civil War had just ended and along the border states of Kansas and Missouri the federal troops searched for the Confederate guerillas that had caused so much turmoil. In comes Josey Wales a fictitious farmer turned pistoleer dragged into a life of a outlaw by the ferocious border wars. Fighting with the Missouri guerillas Josey is hardened by the vengeance of his loss and brutality of the enemy. After the wars ends his torment cannot be snuffed out so easy. Riding with a price on his head Jo ...more
David Ward
Gone to Texas by Bedford Forrest Carter (Delacorte Press 1973) (Fiction - Western). Originally published under the name The Rebel Outlaw: Josey Wales , this was the original Josey Wales story. It's a good cowboy tale which can be summed up as “Josie takes vengeance.” Here's an interesting note about the author: Bedford Forrest Carter later became famous as the author of the memoir of a Cherokee orphan entitled The Education of Little Tree; BF Carter was actually Asa Earl Carter, former Klansman/ ...more
Maggard
Yeah, didn't much care for this, and will have to disagree with Mr. Eastwood that these are "real characters who come right off the page." I'm probably a little prejudiced after recently reading Blood Meridian again, along with True Grit, which I thought were infinitely superior. Also, "Forrest" Carter was evidently not a Native American, but instead former KKK sympathiser Asa Carter, who when confronted denied they were the same person (!) and embarrassed Oprah for her selection (!) of his pseu ...more
John
Well-written and grittier than the standard western paperback. Asa "Forrest" Carter is the most intriguing literary hoaxer of the 20th Century. A former Klansman and author of George Wallace's most racist speeches who pretended to be an Indian rancher in Texas when he turned to writing westerns. He fooled the media long enough to also be praised for The Education of Little Tree. Carter's abhorrent beliefs are not evident in the novel, but the Clint Eastwood movie improves on the concept quite a ...more
R. Felini
GENRE ALERT: I am going to warn you this book is a western. BUT it is a fast paced book and short which is nice.

GONE TO TEXAS is the name. You may have seen the movie called THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES starring Clint Eastwood. Both are classics. It is a great action tale and the reason the movie also shines is it follows the book almost exactly except for the dumbing down of Eastwood's sidekick. If you read the book you can see what I mean.

I think if you give it two chapters of your time you will en
Matt Kelland
I didn't realize this was a novel before it was a film - and was even more surprised to find out it came out only three years before the movie.

Really enjoyed it, in terms of the story and the characters. It didn't change the way I feel about the movie, it was just a great Western that was much more than the usual stereotypical good guys versus bad guys story or the romantic view of the old West. Well recommended for lovers of Westerns as well as fans of the film.
Christopher
This is a novel I've been interested in reading for some time now, as I am a Clint Eastwood fan and love the movie. The movie changed the novel to make it more climatic and satisfying in some ways, but I still enjoyed the book. I especially liked the fact that I learned a lot more about Ten Bears in the book.

Now I'm looking forward to rewatching the movie!
Gregory
There were only 25 copies originally printed of this book. Fortunately, one of them ended up in the hands of Clint Eastwood. Although the age of Lone Watie was much younger the Chief Dan George, there is almost no difference between this book and the film "The Outlaw Josey Wales'. Great read, Great movie!
Patrick
Of course this is a good story -- it was the raw material for Clint Eastwood's iconic "Outlaw Josey Wales." Its reputation has suffered a bit because its author was named for a Confederate general and may have been an unreconstructed Confederate himself, but it's still worth a read.
Keith Bell
Initially the historical background is distracting (along with the author's attempt to phonetically convey the dialect). After the first few chapters though, the plot takes off and the story finds it's pace. Definitely worth the read.
Jjanovyak
This slim little volume held more than I imagined it would. While the action draws the reader along lickety-split, the vivid little snapshots from the interior lives of the characters that are scattered along the way were quite touching.
Erica Lundstrom
I read this in my teens. I remember it being an awesome book. I think 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' had already been on tv but when I got the book out of the school library I didn't realize what it was about.
John Hardin
I truly enjoyed this book, but I wish it had the same ending as the movie. I guess the novel's ending was more realistic, but I wanted to suspend reality and have things tied up at the end.
Chuck Wallace
Clint Eastwood built a great movie out of this book. Most of the great lines were taken directly from the book. I enjoyed reading this book.
John Gaster
Like the movie "The outlaw Josie Wales?" This is the book the movie script was written from. Simple read, lots of shootings, and western violence.
Earl
A bit disappointing in that it 'followed the movie' pretty close and I've seen the movie 5? times.
Grace Bond
I love this book. I can't read it too many times.
David Brzezinski
Not a bad book, just not the type I would ordinarily read
Stacy Craig
Fantastic writing...read it in one sitting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Searchers
  • Josey Wales: Two Westerns
  • Destry Rides Again
  • Gunsights
  • Journal of the Gun Years
  • The Shootist
  • Showdown At Yellow Butte
  • Brimstone (Virgil Cole & Everett Hitch, #3)
  • In the Rogue Blood
  • The Day the Cowboys Quit
  • The Iron Marshal
  • Woe to Live On

“It is good that a man's enemies want him dead, for it proves he has lived a life of worth.” 24 likes
“Indian believes they ain't but two sins... bein a coward... and turnin agin yer own kind.” 16 likes