A Day with a Perfect Stranger

A Day with a Perfect Stranger

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  632 ratings  ·  95 reviews
What if a fascinating stranger knew you better than you know yourself?

When her husband comes home with a farfetched story about eating dinner with someone he believes to be Jesus, Mattie Cominsky thinks this may signal the end of her shaky marriage. Convinced that Nick is, at best, turning into a religious nut, the self-described agnostic hopes that a quick business trip w...more
Published July 18th 2006 by WaterBrook Press (first published January 1st 2006)

booklady
Although just as readable as Dinner with a Perfect Stranger: An Invitation Worth Considering, Day with a Perfect Stranger didn’t sweep me along in quite the same way. I’m not sure if it’s sequel syndrome, my expectations or the book itself. The story has its strengths including: the opportunity for a literary fantasy with the Divine. What would it be like to have a totally unexpected day with Jesus? Also I like having the broader scope brought by the vantage of Mattie Cominisky, the wife of Nick...more
Leslie
While I was not vastly impressed with this book, I think it did have a good message and was worth reading. It's an easy read (I read it in one evening) but does bring up some ideas about God that many people miss entirely, namely how so many people get caught up in the "rules and regulations" of religion that they not only alienate non-believers from truly understanding what God is all about but also often miss the point themselves,that most of all, God desires the a relationship with us just as...more
Tish
This is a quick read with a powerful message. It's the first of David Gregory's books that I've read, but it definitely won't be the last. Very enjoyable!
Debby
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, Dinner With a Perfect Stranger, which is about Nick's dinner encounter with the "perfect stranger", Jesus Christ, to Nick's wife's encounter with him.
So, in A Day With a Perfect Stranger, Mattie encounters a strnager seated next to her while she's on a business trip to Tucson. Mattie is not so happy about the changes in her life and marriage due to Nick's encounter with Jesus Christ, so she's "loaded for bear" as the saying goes, when the conversa...more
Terri
A Day with a Perfect Stranger by David Gregory is an interesting look into the possibility of having a personal relationship with god. Mattie, a mother of one with a husband who has just discovered religion, takes a business trip only to find that the strangers she sits next to will try to change her outlook on her current situation.

The first person Mattie encounters is forward and a bit preachy when it comes to the idea that her husband has talked to Jesus. Mattie is already set in her ideas,...more
Kevin
I struggled with what I thought about David Gregory's first book, Dinner with a Perfect Stranger, so when I saw he had a sort of companion book, focused on a female character's interaction with Jesus, I thought I would check it out.

Unfortunately, A Day with a Perfect Stranger didn't clarify my thoughts much.

The story here is basically the flip side of the previous book. Dinner covered the husband and Day follows the wife. Dinner dealt with a workaholic who had drifted away from faith as his adu...more
Tania
Mattie Cominsky gladly escapes on an out-of-town business trip after her husband Nick claims to have found God. Mattie has no interest in joining him in his new journey of faith and is contemplating divorce. She finds herself in a middle seat on the airplane. To her right, in the aisle seat, is a man who shares her disdain for religion and its tedious rules and rituals. Yet as she becomes engrossed in conversation with him, Mattie has the uncomfortable feeling that he does believe in God. Worse...more
Christy
A great follow up to 'Dinner With A Stranger.' This is the second time this year I have read this book and if I could give it better than a 5 out of 5, I would. Mattie's husband encountered Jesus in the first, but now it is she who has her own spiritual encounter while on a business trip. While on the plane, she meets a man named Jay who opened her up to God's existence. Like all us, Mattie has encountered some deep hurts and disappointments in life. This is a beautifully written and a wonderful...more
Cassie Heck
Ok, so I was in a rush and grabbed a couple of things off of the "great gifts" table at Barnes and Noble. Had I known this was your typical born again Christian ridiculousness I would not have read it much less purchased it. After the fist few pages the story was completely transparent including the eventual message that "upon reading the bible and believing in Jesus Christ you will be saved and all others will be damned." The book personified God, as a man of course, as opposed to a woman, or s...more
Leigh
Exactly the same plot setup as the prequel, Dinner with a Perfect Stranger. But for some reason, this one isn't as good. The character of Mattie doesn't seem skeptical so much as she seems bitchy and fed up. Finally, his revealing himself by telling her about her early pregnancy wasn't quite credible. She may have seemed pregnant, some women are obvious, even before they start to physically show. And early in the story, she had actually called a divorce lawyer for an appt. Would a woman in early...more
Star Shining Forever
Well, this book is the sequel to "Dinner With A Perfect Stranger" so it's along the same lines of that. Jesus comes to Earth as a regular human being and interacts with a specific person who has problems in his or her life, in order to show them the truth and change their mind about Him. And do they ever come away changed! When they see the truth of Who Jesus really is, they can't help but be changed. A 100 pages, this was a nice, quick read. The movies based on this series are a little differen...more
Cairahhh
This book is really good. Thank God I read it!
The experiences I had in my life probably took me to agree with this quote.

"Because how is your heart going to be filled by someone, or something, as finite and imperfect as you are? If people were created to have an intimate connection with their Creator, would you expect them to be satisfied apart from Him?"

We need to know love before we give love. We need to know God, for He is Love. If the source of the Love we give out is from Someone who is In...more
Debbie
This book had a great message, which was hitting home at the perfect time. I don't usually read books in one day, even at only about 100 pages, but I did this one.
The writing is not great, and the main character Mattie is annoying...I would've liked to slap her. My rating purely reflects the message in the book.

I recieved this book as a gift and read it before it's companion Dinner With a Perfect Stranger, but I don't really think that hindered the read. In fact I kind of like that I was kept...more
Jan Ackerson
The sequel to Dinner with a Perfect Stranger isn't quite as good a read, but still worthwhile for a quick afternoon's diversion.

It's a similar format: skeptic (in this case, the wife of the fellow in the last book) finds herself in the presence of "Jesus". The book is their conversation--about life, religion, faith...and by the time you're done reading, you've discovered answers to questions you didn't even realize you had.
Kelly
Picks up where Dinner With A Perfect Stranger left off. Nick's wife is unhappy with his sudden religious conversion. She sits next to Jesus on a flight and he talks to her about faith, etc. A good book to use for evangelism or to deepen your own faith. It doesn't proselytize at all. It makes faith tangible and understandable.
Bonnie McHenry
Revealing Himself to a skeptic, negative, angry, non-believer full of questions as to why she should believe! Jesus has his hands full with this one, but in the end, His love and humanity prevails. A lot of "food for thought" questions (taken right from the book itself)and eye opening answers. Again, leaves me listening for His voice and feeling His love and proud to be part of his flock! Ahhh, the Good Shepherd knows my name!!!
Jill Tree
The sequel to Dinner with a Perfect Stranger. The 1st book has a man, Nick, having dinner with Jesus. This book has Nick's wife traveling for business by air. The person beside her on both flights, Jesus, took a more subtle approach discussing how a loving God can let there be pain and hurt in the world. Interesting to think about how God pursues us in different ways, how men and women think differently. Another great read.
Marcia
This is a continuation of the book Dinner with a Stranger. In this book the character meets a stranger and ends up spending much of the day with him. The talk about the characters issues regarding a faith in an invisible God who appears to be uninterested and uninvolved with her and those around her. As with the first book, this book addresses typical thoughts and questions people ask or think regarding the Christian God.
Martine
Very quick-to-read book that led to some self-reflection. My rating reflects the timing of the message in this book. This book reminded me of a couple of books I've read that were written by John Harricharan.

I read this book before Dinner with a Stranger, which I should have read first. Even though I didn't have the context of the first book to draw on, I preferred the second book (A Day with a Perfect Stranger).
Hank Pharis
A follow up to Dinner with a perfect stranger that is also good but not as good.
Jason Lilly
Though not as powerful for me as its prequel, this is still an amazing book filled with a touching story and plenty of Biblical answers to questions every human has about God and life and suffering and marriage. I love how David Gregory uses such a captivating story and clever dialogue to teach Biblical truths. If you loved Dinner With a Perfect Stranger, don't miss this sequel.
Diana Camren
Good book but I suggest Dinner with a Perfect Stranger--the first book by this author. It is much better. This is the follow up to that book and some may find it a good read if they want to continue the first book, but all you need to get started is in the first book. Also suggest checking out Next Level by David Gregory--also good for business people and techie peopel.
Keri
I listened to this one on CD in my car on my way to and from work. It was a fascinating plot and I found myself looking forward to driving, and finding my commute much too short (instead of twice as long as it actually is). I liked the ideas presented, and it was well-presented. I also listened to the accompanying book "Dinner with a Perfect Stranger" which was also very good.
Elizabeth
Don't know why but i absolutely loved the book. perhaps 'cause i would love to encounter Jesus just like that one day.....but then again do i really need to since i know without a shadow of a doubt that he loves me. I know that there are others who really need to encounter him even more than i do. It was quiet a powerful short little book.
Rayna
With the ability to get you thinking critically, David Gregory uses Mattie to express what most people feel at one point or another. Working through confusion and doubt, he shows Mattie analyzing and dissecting her life, examining one bit at a time. It was very helpful for me as I too go through a time of doubts and questions.
Debbie
Jun 25, 2008 Debbie rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Lezlie, Lexi
I love the simplicity of this book. With a very human and endearing portrayal of Christ, the author shows a troubled young businesswoman, wife, and mother how easy a personal relationsip with God should be---without the trappings of man's ideas of religion, which can get in the way of a true personal relationship with God.
Mechelle
What a wonderful depiction of the kind of relationship God wants us to have with Him. I read this book in one day. I must read Dinner with a Perfect Stranger.
Evie
Aug 09, 2011 Evie added it
blah! A day? it's more like two conversations in the airport. This hardcore nonbeliever sure turned believer easily. So cheesy. it was like reading a tract. I guess I only read it because I got it for free- and because the cover reminded me of "The 5 people you meet in Heaven" - now I can give it away......
Nancy
I received this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads program. Sorry to say it was a real disappointment. More religious tract than fiction and the writing was on the cheesy side. It simply did not appeal to me on any level. Fortunately, at only 101 pages, it was a quick read.
Jeanne
Jul 30, 2011 Jeanne added it
Inspirational fiction by the author of "Dinner with a Perfect Stranger". Liked the other one better probably because there was a little bit of surprise about who was the "perfect stranger". Or maybe I would rather have dinner with Jesus than fly in an airplane with him.
  • Wagered Heart
  • Remember to Forget (Clayburn,#1)
  • Illuminated (An August Adams Adventure, #1)
  • Blue Heart Blessed
  • John's Story: The Last Eyewitness (The Jesus Chronicles, #1)
  • Lifesaving for Beginners
  • Splitting Harriet
  • Miss Invisible
  • Mountains of Spices
  • Wild Goose Chase: Reclaim the Adventure of Pursuing God
  • The Silver Sea
  • And by the Way… (Butterfly, #1)
  • Soul's Gate (A Well Spring Novel, #1)
  • Red Letters: Living a Faith That Bleeds
  • Revolution
  • Praying God's Will For Your Life: A Prayerful Walk To Spiritual Well Being
  • The Great House of God
  • Consider Lily
Dinner with a Perfect Stranger: An Invitation Worth Considering The Last Christian The Next Level: A Parable of Finding Your Place in Life Dinner with a Perfect Stranger/Day with a Perfect Stranger Boxed Set Night with a Perfect Stranger: The Conversation that Changes Everything