Thirteen: 13 Tales of Horror by 13 Masters of Horror

Thirteen: 13 Tales of Horror by 13 Masters of Horror (Point Horror)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  986 ratings  ·  48 reviews
You don't really want to read this ...do you? The masters of horror are waiting to take you on a terrifying ride, and there are 13 stops.

Meet the new guy in town, very handsome, very sexy, and very deadly.

Dine on sweet and wonderfully inviting confections - they're good to the last breath.

Learn that some spells can never be broken...

Inside you'll find the works of 13 maste

Published September 1st 1991 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published June 19th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Thirteen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirteen

PurplyCookie
Let these horror masters take you and do their worst---with their best:

Collect Call Part I & Part II by Christoper Pike >> About two girls who drive home after a party, except they get into an accident and one of them dies. Then the remaining girl starts receiving messages on her answering machine from the dead girl. Pike's a wizard at chronicling the soft underbelly of the high school social scene. The first part is better, but the second is necessary to completely understand the sto...more
Adriana
Thirteen is a novel comprised of 13 short stories foretelling tales of horror by 13 authors who are masters in this genre. Although there are many themes in this book, one that stands out the most is panicking in the worst case scenarios wont help you.
In these 13 short stories you will read about: calls from dead friends, the disappearance of a girl in a lake, stolen paintings, a new guy in town who actually is a vampire, candy both addicting and deadly, a killer doll, a haunted wax museum, fr...more
James
I was reading this book called Thirteen 13 Tales of Horror by 13 Masters of Horror. This book is written by R.L. Stine. This book had thirteen short stories that is good for reading at night and could really get you creep out at night. This book is also a book that will really make you think and hate the endings cause they do not end right. When you reach the end of these short stories it will make you wanna write a better ending to it and have the story keep going on. because as I said earlier...more
Ja
I had mixed feelings about this book of short stories. Some of them are pretty creepy, something fun to read when your home alone one night, but most just didn't cut it for me. Some were just weird and I'm still trying to figure out what's supposed to be scary about them, and others are laughably stupid. One actually tries to make you scared of deer--DEER. I mean I give the author credit for their effort and creativity, but seriously... I'd have to say that my favorite by far was "collect call"...more
Overall review: Whilst there were a couple of good stories in here, most were very predictable and I believe would be on the younger teen side of teenage years. I did not enjoy this set of stories as much as the second and third 13 stories produced by Point Horror.

Collect Call, Christopher Pike: Such a confusing story. Initially I found it fairly easy and intriguing to follow but as the plot thickened, twisting with a more supernatural element, it became difficult to understand. I still can't ac...more
Jessica
I read this book in middle or high school and I STILL think about these stories. Some of the best thrillers I have ever read!
Guillermo
Not that I enjoyed the simple, not-so-complex writing but the read was comforting. It reminded me of better days when I first picked up books to escape reality rather than be reminded of it.

R.L. Stein, of course, being the only author I've read as a kid - his Goosebumps novellas were my introduction to the awesome world of reading - I was reintroduced to familiar names that filled the shelves of my female cousins. Namely, Christopher Pike whose Slumber Party cover always reminded me of a young c...more
Crystal Kwan
This book was creepy,and action-packed! It gave me shivers in the entire book, a real page turner no matter how terrifying it is, I almost got nightmares as I read it before bed-time. 13 different stories written by 13 famous authors. I could completely imagine the situation in my head (descriptive). It was also very exciting, as there were sudden twists in the story.
Tina Olah
From what I remember, this collection was alright, but didn't really contain any standout stories.
Sundeep Supertramp
completed reading it.. took a long time to complete... cause it is pretty boring.. the books starts with something very much boring.. then there are like7 out of 13 stories which really pi*sed me off..
never this i never believe that books could scare ppl.. this proved me wrong.. worth a read... if you are a new to this horror thing in books.. dont expect a lot of horror...
Amy
Thirteen storys of Horror from 13 masters of horror. What's in store for these characters in each of the 13 short storys? This book is sure to give you a good chill to the bone and make you feel close to death; almost though. But come in close your eyes relax and have a little fun. Those sounds you hear is only the beginning
Ying
Jan 11, 2014 Ying rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
I've read it so many times and I still enjoy it. An excellent collection of stories from accomplished writers, while these stories didn't have me on the edge of the seat, bristling in fear at the mysterious footsteps in the attic, they were amusing to read. Curl- up- in- your- bed- under- the- covers good read!!! ;D
Nora
This book was kind of scary to me but then again i was trying to imagine that happening and i was freaked out . I learned from this book a lot of different things for example saying that happens a lot which what goes around comes around if you want people to be nice to you you have to be nice to them.
Amy M
I was obsessed with this book after a friend loaned me her copy in the 6th grade. It introduced me to the Scholastic's Point Horror imprint, which lead me to read Christopher Pike, Richie Tankerseley Cusick, R.L. Stine, Diane Hoh, Ellen Emerson White, Caroline B. Cooney, D.E Athkins, A. Bates, and more.
Cyn
The stories weren't that great overall. I think my favorite story was "The Boy Next Door" by Ellen Emerson White. The creepiest one was "Deathflash" by A. Bates. I'm sad to say that C. Pike's short story wasn't as good as I had hoped but that doesn't necessarily mean it was bad, it was just okay.
Madame Jane
Collect Call by C Pike was my favourite. Dedicated To the One I Love, The Boy Next Door, and Lucinda are second faves (excellent twists) . Definitely a book to read if you are interested in teen horror/suspense tales. I really enjoyed it, even though it took me 8 days to finish.
Kiersta Barnes
I read this in elementary school and to this very day I am terrified when I think of the short story about the deer (by Caroline B Cooney). I just ordered this on Amazon in fact to re-read. I don't know if it will hold up now that I am 28, but seriously... those deers were really creepy.
Jennie
I owned a pathetically tattered copy of this book when I was a kid and I absolutely loved it. I finally decided to get rid of it when I had to carry the loose pages around in a Ziploc bag. A great pulp horror novel, especially for younger readers just getting into the genre.
Connie
I got this book on clearance at Half Price Books for only a dollar. I didn't realize that is was YA. It was ok. The scary point of these stories is that seemingly normal, well-adjusted teens are the things to be afraid of. On the other hand, most mom's can tell you that!
Melissa
If you like something scary this book should do the trick. It has 13 different stories in it by 13 different authors. When I read this book it was at night and I still remember one of the stories scaring me. I read it along time ago so I don't remember details.
Sabrina
I loved this book--but i only read christopher pikes collect call 1 & 2. I had no idea who the other authors were and i HATE r l steine, i only got this book bc i love mr pike, his story was amazing and i loved reading it, it was interrsting and full of suspense!
Lacey
I almost forgot that I had read this book before. I began to read it again and all of the stories flooded back into my mind and I remembered that I enjoyed this book. It's funny how something can trigger a memory..and seeing the cover did it for me. Fun book!
Zulia
OK LUK DIS STORY WAS KINDA GOOD AN BAD WHY BECASUSE IT HAD 13 DIFFRENT STORYS IT KEEPED CONFUSIN ME BUT OVA ALL IT WAS A DESO BOOK BUT NEXT TIME IMA GET SUM THAT DONT HAVE DIFRENT STORYS BUT I RECOMENED DIS BOOK IF YU WANNA GET CONFUSED LOL
Crystal Withem
I read this book 5 times
Victoria Gilbert
Great collection of stories. And the point horror series where fantastic. Looking at these reminds me of having just spent my pocket money on a new book and the excitement at getting home and starting it. These were pretty scary books aswell :-)
Sami
Not that scary. Some stories were confusing. Some you had the whole thing figured out after the first page and you wondered through the whole thing how the main character could be so stupid. Only a couple actually felt scary.
Hayley
I loved this collection of short stories, they are well written and my favourite one is the very first one. Even though I'm now 24 I would definitley give this another read, just to refresh my memory.
Crystal
From what I remember, this was one of my favorite books growing up. I read it over and over. I read it so much, that half the cover was torn off. I think that it's in the basement at my dad's house.
Mimi
I'm a massive fan of the series (60 of them stand proudly on their own exclusive wall shelve) but this one still remains my fave.I normally enjoy collections of stories and this was no execption!
Aireon
Oct 05, 2007 Aireon is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are'nt afraid of monsters.
This book mainly caught my attention because it reminded me of the movie "Thirteen Ghosts", and I thought I should check up on some more scary tales before Halloween comes around.
  • Road to Nowhere (reissue)
  • Funhouse (Point Horror, #9)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • Call Waiting (Point Horror)
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Waitress