Start by marking “Morrie: In His Own Words” as Want to Read:
Morrie: In His Own Words

Morrie: In His Own Words

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  3,949 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
For everyone who enjoyed the inspiration and wisdom of Morrie Schwartz in Mitch Albom's moving best-seller Tuesdays with Morrie, here is Morrie's own book, presenting the philosophies by which he triumphantly lived, even as he faced the end of his life.

For decades Morrie engaged his Brandeis University students in the importance of community and involvement in life. Ever t
Published January 1st 1999 by Walker Books (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Morrie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morrie

Kyle
Jun 17, 2014 Kyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think “Morrie” would be an excellent book for those that know they are at death’s door and/or for people with loved ones approaching death. I do not find myself in either of those situations, so the book wasn’t as relevant to me at this stage of my life. The author stated, “Learn how to live, and you’ll know how to die; learn how to die, and you’ll know how to live.” The book includes Morrie’s wisdom on dying and living based on his years as a sociology professor and finally on his battle with ...more
Travis
Mar 27, 2012 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first met Morrie Schwartz via Mitch Albom's book, Tuesdays With Morrie. Instantly, I felt the draw to this guy. I finally took the time to read Morrie's book. Man, am I glad I did.

This book is full of practical advice. Morrie's aphorisms are straightforward and simple. As I neared the completion of this book, it became so clear to me just how beautiful a gift Morrie gave us all. His words are just as good for those healthy as well as ill. I just hope that people the world over who are in need
Sadie
I love Tuesdays with Morrie, so I had to read Morrie's own book full of his wisdom. This book is very simple and easy to read. It's short life lessons to consider with personal examples from Morrie's own experience as he battles ALS. Those who knew Morrie in real life were blessed.
Beatrice Masaluñga
Dec 29, 2014 Beatrice Masaluñga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, adult
Morrie Schwartz is the man from the Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom, and he suffers a neurodegenerative disease called ALS or Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis .

He is well known for words of wisdom, touching many people's lives all over the world. He is truly an admirable man because he didn't let himself down despite experiencing of a slow death. I really find this book comforting and inspiring. Morrie's words are unforgettable and I would like to thank him man for sharing his life lessons. I'
Julie
Apr 17, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was only $1.99 on a Kindle Daily Deal today and since I really liked Tuesdays with Morrie I had been meaning to read this anyway so I grabbed it. I am actually glad it was only a couple bucks because it is too short to spend $10 on but I liked it. I took a walk this afternoon and read as I walked. It only took about an hour and it made me more aware of the sunshine (maybe partly because this is only the 2nd sunny day we have had this year) and beauty around me as I walked. Cheesy, I know bu ...more
Grant Trevarthen
A,few years ago, I watched the TV movie 'Tuesday's With Morrie', starring Jack Lemmon, who played Morrie in his last screen appearance and Hank Azaria, who was the dog-walker on the sitcom 'Mad About You', he played Mitch Ablom, who was one of Morrie's students at Brandeis University. He ended up caring full time for Morrie in his last days.

In this book,which is the thoughts and philosophies of Morrie, we a privileged to read the inner most feelings of a very brave spiritual person. Although ob
Priyanka Kanagaraj
This book will always and forever stay close to my heart . Morrie is definitely one of my greatest inspirations ever . Thinking about the lessons that I've learned from this book , it was one of the sole reasons that helped me grow as a person , and appreciate my life . When gifted with all the things that we exactly need to live a happy life , we humans still complain and worry about what we don't have . This book definitely made me overcome my fear of failure , aging , and the fear of growing ...more
Rick Ludwig
I enjoyed hearing from Morrie Schwartz, in his own words. I love Mitch Albom's "Tuesdays with Morrie" and nothing will touch me like that book did. But getting to hear Morrie tell his aphorisms and the related stories is a joy. I wish I could have known this man at any time in his teaching career or beyond. He was one of a kind. He sounds a bit more professorial in this work and that is all to the good. There is a lot of repetition from what Albom captured, but there is also new material here. I ...more
Jane
Mar 16, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. I didn't love it. I read "Tuesdays With Morrie so I knew Morrie's story. The book is meant to be helpful, but I found it to be primarily depressing - a just a little inspiring. I guess I'm glad that I read it. I wanted to know more about Morrie. Now I do. That about sums it up.
Stacie
Dec 31, 2015 Stacie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic, memoirs, 2015
Kind of what I needed to hear today.
Rebecca McNutt
Morrie's story really gained momentum after Mitch Albom's Tuesdays with Morrie became a bestseller, but while Morrie himself was still alive and battling Lou Gehrig's Disease, he wrote out his life's meaning and purpose. This book is incredible and really worth reading.
Dakota
Sep 28, 2010 Dakota is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Mohit Virmani
Jun 05, 2016 Mohit Virmani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sue
Jul 17, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

For everyone who enjoyed the inspiration and wisdom of Morrie Schwartz in Mitch Albom’s moving bestseller Tuesdays with Morrie, here is a new paperback edition of Morrie’s own book, presenting the philosophies by which he triumphantly lived, even as he faced the end of his life.

For decades Morrie Schwartz engaged his Brandeis University students in the importance of community and involvement in life. Ever the teacher, in his last year, as his battle with the fatal illness amyotrophic lateral scl
Jacqui
Memorable Quotes
“Learn how to live,” Morrie wrote, “and you’ll know how to die; learn how to die, and you’ll know how to live.”

"...to Morrie, life was a process of opening oneself lovingly—to other people, to the world, ultimately, to something larger than ourselves."

"I’ll try to find a way to take advantage of silence, because maybe that’s the way to really hear yourself."

"Accept yourself, your physical condition, and your fate as they are at the present moment."

"Get as much help as you can whe
Danielle
Jan 20, 2017 Danielle rated it it was ok
For those who have read Tuesdays with Morrie, this has a lot of the same themes included in that book, but in Schwartz's own words.

This is partially a memoir reflecting on Schwartz's last parts of his life, but it's also a guide for those who have a terminal illness. There are coping methods and recommendations on living life to the fullest included, so if you're into self-help angles, that is a major part of the book.

Schwartz's aphorisms are good enough, but I'm also interested in what happens
H Hamid
This book is an easy read, and so very worth it. I say easy and not quick, because though I could have devoured this in a few hours max, it took me days and days to go through this book because most lines had such depth to them that I sat & mulled things over, turned them around in my head, contemplated, made connections... etc. (The mark of a great book in my opinion - it holds things that make you stop & go 'hmmmm').

Reading this book by Morrie makes me wish, more than ever, that I had
Barbara M
Apr 26, 2014 Barbara M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morrie was a college professor at Brandeis. He also was a man suffering from ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). As the crippling disease progressed, he lost more and more of his independence and needed care as his body weakened and he was able to do activities of daily living on his own.

As a teacher, Morrie is teaching us all one more lesson before he dies. He is telling us in his own words what he has learned about living, dying and enduring a debilitating disease. It sounds like it would be a dark a
Robert
Nov 07, 2016 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent companion to "Tuesdays with Morrie." It's great to hear the words and wisdom directly from the man himself. Although, I have to say that I enjoyed "Tuesdays" more since it was a narrative story rather than simply wisdom literature. The tidbits of wisdom are, however, very inspiring and immediately applicable (in most cases).

Those that have read "Tuesdays" will recognize much of Morrie's aphorisms. In this text, though, you will read Morrie explicate the aphorisms himself. A
Alex Timberman

I purchased this eBook since it was on sale, and also because the author was a professor at Brandeis University. I bought to learn some wisdom from his life.

The book itself is pretty short. It’s filled with aphorisms that are germane to those facing terminal illness or death or know someone who is.

Since I’m only 30, I’m not really at the stage to contemplate life and death, as Morrie in the later stages of his life. But I still tried to take in his wisdom and advice.

The eBook itself has numer
Michelle
Apr 27, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morrie's take on mourning yourself before you die and appreciating life is a lesson for all of us whether you are sick or not. His book also helped me to understand my father's probable range of emotions as he confronted the end of his life. Very interesting, a little somber, but Morrie's lessons are beautiful and reassuring. I recommend this book to someone who knows the end of life is near, who has a family member who is ill, or someone who wants to be prepared for the end of life in a peacefu ...more
April
Dec 16, 2007 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book doesn't really tell me much that I didn't already know, but perhaps that's because, like Morrie, I've taken sociology and psychology in college and also because I've been around a few physically ill or dying people.

Still, it's nice to see it all in writing ... like having your own thoughts verbalized by someone else and from their point of view, and I really appreciate the gift that it is meant to be, from Morrie, who wrote it, and Minnie, who gave the book to me.

Finished reading Decem
Clay Leonard
This is a quick read with some valuable insights from a long-time professor suffering with ALS. Much of what Morrie writes is applicable to those facing death at the hands of disease. I found that Schwartz could be quite insightful, but as a Christian I didn't appreciate all of his worldly wisdom. I found that portions of what he said simply weren't within the character of Christian faith - but he never claimed to a Christian. Depending on your worldview, this book could be excellent or just ok. ...more
Marj
Sep 28, 2016 Marj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Morrie's aphorisms about how to live while dying can easily apply to everyone whether we are sick or in good health. We all need to recognize that each minute, each relationship, each opportunity is precious and we need to fully engage in each of these. But we also need to be realistic in our expectations and adapt to the changes that take affect us and others. I loved his honesty and his optimism about his circumstances. I loved his respect for others needs even while his own needs were so seve ...more
Derek
I have read a few books similar to Morrie: In His Own Words, and I always have difficulty finishing them. There are some great words of wisdom here and I know Morrie's words will really help some people get through hardships. I don't fault the quality of Morrie's words and almost feel bad giving it three stars. However, these types of books never quite keep me hooked all the way through. I get lost somewhere in the middle and struggle to finish. Morrie: In His Own Words was good though because i ...more
L
Jun 21, 2013 L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rather than succumbing to his deteriorating physical condition, Morrie choose to stay compassionate and live an end-life serving others. The book offers Morrie's takes on how to cope when one has serious illness. Surprisingly, some of the points can be applied to even a healthy person's life including forgiving yourself and letting go of the past. The book can be summed by his quote;

"Learn how to live, and you'll know how to die; learn how to die, and you'll know how to life"
Kirk Aulenbach
Though I liked the book, I believe that it would be more appropriate for me later in life or when suffering from chronic illness. Morrie seemed to be an incredible person and has some good points that can be taken out of the book at any time! He had some amazing insights for a man suffering from a chronic illness himself and shows that you don't have to give up living just because you are given an end-date. I will definitely re-read this book in a few years!
Louis Barbier
This is a story into a man who is struck out of the blue with Lou Gehrig's disease. For me it hits close to home having my wife Gloria deal with this devastating disease. It help me deal with what I was going through. But I did not read the book until Gloria had been called by God. I still miss it but by reading Morrie: In His Own Words I was able to get another perspective on this terrible illness.
Patrick
Aug 17, 2011 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for a quarter at our church book fair. What I received was a book with millions of dollars of knowledge and faith.Morrie Schwartz died from a disease known as A.L.S.,Morrie discovered he had the disease in 1994, and died NOV.4th 1995.What he left in this book is how he felt was a way to live and look at things when you are going through loss. I feel this is also a good book for caregivers to read. This book was previously published under the title Letting Go.
Antonio
Apr 22, 2012 Antonio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a great read It has a lot of similarities to the famous tuesdays with morrie, with the exception of a little more detail and told by morrie himself. This is proof of the incredible human being Morrie Schwartz was I enjoyed the part where he gives his opinion on another fascinating human being Jiddu Krishnamurti,overall a very pleasant read that was unfortunately too short.
  • Notes Left Behind
  • The Longest Trip Home: A Memoir
  • Singing My Him Song
  • Help Yourself: Finding Hope, Courage, And Happiness
  • Notebooks
  • One and the Same: My Life as an Identical Twin and What I've Learned About Everyone's Struggle to Be Singular
  • Lord, Change Me!
  • The Man with the Beautiful Voice: And More Stories from the Other Side of the Couch
  • Big Russ and Me, Father and Son: Lessons of Life
  • Greater
  • Still Me
  • Hamlet's Dresser: A Memoir

“As you grow, you learn more. If you stayed as ignorant as you were at twenty-two, you'd always be twenty-two. Aging is not just decay, you know. It's growth. It's more than the negative that you're going to die, it's the positive that you understand you're going to die, and that you live a better life because of it.” 23 likes
“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and let it come in” 20 likes