Start by marking “Eden: It's An Endless World!: 1” as Want to Read:
Eden: It's An Endless World!: 1

Eden: It's An Endless World!: 1 (Eden: It's An Endless World! #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,372 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
'Eden' is a story about a boy's survival in a post-apocalyptic world where problems are solved with bullets, love is bought, and his only companion is a cybernetic killing-machine called Cherubim.
Published January 1st 2007 by Titan Publishing Company (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eden

Miriam
Based on the glowing reviews, I feel like I missed something here. Solid but not stunning art, and a fairly standard post-apocalyptic setting in which most of humanity has been wiped out by a disease that seems to be a slightly grosser version of Glass Feet. It was a bit on the slow side (especially the flashbacks and superficial discussions of whether God was punishing people) and most of the plot and world-building elements were familiar.
Kyle Muntz
May 11, 2013 Kyle Muntz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only way I can think of to describe this series is like Song of Ice and Fire (George RR Martin), but set about 100 years in a vaguely foreseeable future with a quicker pace, plus long digressions on theoretical physics; references to Noam Chomsky; fucked up bio-weapons; a strong treatment of ethnic conflict, homosexuality, and various political issues; a few moments of Evangelion-like strangeness; lots of characters (with impressively realistic characterization); meditations on gnostic philo ...more
Hamed Manoochehri
"منگا" به کتاب های مصور ژاپنی گفته می شه ولی این به معنی نیست که این کتاب ها رو بشه با کامیک های امریکا مقایسه کرد. تنها شباهت منگا با کامیک بوک، در اینه که این کتاب ها بجای اینکه نیاز به " خونده شدن" داشته باشن، نیاز به "تماشا شدن" دارن. . که این ممکنه روح تعالی جوی (!) ما متفکران ایران زمین رو ارضا نکنه. ولی من از همینجا بهتون اطمینان می دم، اگه تا الآن منگا نخوندین معنی "پشت سر گذاشتن مرزهای تخیل" رو هنوز نچشیدین.
این منگا، عدن: دنیایی بی پایان است، یکی از بهترین نمونه های منگای اصیل ژاپنه. و
Πέτρος
Nov 20, 2011 Πέτρος rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This manga kept surprising me with its deep themes and heavy gore and drama. It was made to be a bit of every genre there is without ending up being a lukewarm soup with no distinct flavor. Plus, it has a conclusion. These things alone are enough to place it quite high in the ranks but there is more.

Art: 9

Quite realistic compared to an average manga out there. The detail in weaponry and machinery is superb and human figures look and act quite lively. Only grip is the rather low variety in charac
Petr
May 07, 2009 Petr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Multidimensional. That word is what coming to mind first after reading almost ten books in that series. There is no just a story of some boy/girl who done this and that.

Sometimes it's simple and cruel, sometimes twisted and confusing. There is some strange forms of love, there is not really explainable hatred, and of course there is many things that strike reader right in the eye seemingly without skipping a beat in the rhythm of storytelling. There is world that I can't really call crazy and in
Tina
May 22, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
The description on the back says that Eden: It's an Endless World is "both a brilliant love song to the post-apocalyptic survival genre and an exploration on humanity's role in the natural order." Depicted as an ode to a very cruel, cyberpunk future, Eden paints a picture of a future where a brutal virus was purposely created and let out among the general populace as a way to "hit the reset button" and presumably start the world over anew. At the forefront of this is a boy named Enoah and a girl ...more
Lyra
Jul 13, 2014 Lyra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a lot of the same issues as other reviewers with this manga so I won't beat a dead horse. One thing that was not mentioned that irritated me though was the out of nowhere character/time shift a little over halfway through the book. Really? You spent half the book getting us emotionally invested in these characters and then hit us with "20 years later..." and then switch perspectives to a character you haven't introduced yet? To say I was annoyed would be an understatement. The art work is ...more
Ashkan
Feb 18, 2014 Ashkan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

باید بگم که «هیروکی اندو» یک شاهکار رو نوشته و طراحی کرده

الآن که تمام جلدش رو خواندم اگر به من بگن بین «مایا-کولوید» و «لثیا-زمین» کدوم رو انتخاب میکنی میگم کولوید. جهانی که خداش تا پیش از خلقت یه زن بیقیدوبند بوده به نظرم خیلی منصفانهتر و عادلانهتر از جهانی خواهد بود که الآن داریم

بیعدالتی، قتل و جنایت، پولپرستی، ادیان، شهوت قدرت و لذتجویی، و بیوفایی، همه در کنار هم به خوبی به تصویر کشیده شدن. این مانگا دنیا رو به بهترین وجه توصیف کرده

دنیای جدید مطمئنا دنیای بهتری خواهد بود. برای اونها که ناامی
Charles
Zedsdead
Dec 19, 2012 Zedsdead rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Eden is a Japanese manga (is that redundant? not sure) about a pandemic that wipes out most of the world by turning skin to stone. Naturally it's the US government's fault. And there's a shady secret organization that might be trying to save the world or might just be trying to capitalize on the misery. A kid and a combat robot travel the ruins learning to hunt and having conversations about what it means to be human.

I feel like there's probably a great story here, but the whole experience was j
Rachel
Sep 25, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Final judgment has been passed and man struggles to survive in a world exiting the technological age, and entering one where nature is reclaiming everything. Among the survivors are cyborgs, a few adults of the past, and the kids who have immunity to the virus that brought about this destruction. The subject of Eden is a huge focus, starting with the concept of the bibles Eden, and moving on to the different Edens each character remembers. It quickly becomes clear that Paradise is always somethi ...more
Julie
I believe it was LibraryThing that suggested this manga series to me. Since there were one or two libraries in the state that claimed to have the first two volumes, I thought I'd check it out. It's okay. It's interesting. It's a little too philosophical for my tastes. Why is manga sometimes so philosophical? Is it especially true of science fiction manga?

There was a man-made plague that turned people into stone. The story starts with two teens living in Eden with a gay man who's kept himself ali
Staci
Jan 21, 2016 Staci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eden doesn't pull very many punches when dealing with the darker elements of it's story. It can be a bit gory and the time jumps back and forth can be a bit confusing but it also doesn't baby the reader through the philosophy it contains either; you don't have to be a scholar to understand it but this might not be for kids or some younger adults.
Christina
Jun 15, 2009 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christina by: a guy working in Gosh! bookstore in London
Shelves: 2008, manga
A large part of human life is wiped out by a virus that sort of make human flesh into stone. A few survivors try to make an existence in Eden but are forced to leave it after being attacked by a military force.
The back story is told in a few flashbacks and they explain why the two youngsters, Ennoia and Hannah, are forced to leave Eden. The story then maes a jump and we instead meet up with Ennoia's son, Elijah, who's living alone with only an intelligent robot as a companion.

The book had some i
Mikael Kuoppala
Feb 28, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hiroki Endo presents us with a future Earth where a plague has wiped out a large part of humanity. Civilization is faltering and a chaotic political flux has taken over our race as cultural and power vacuums are being filled.

This first volume of the series carries two levels: one explains the background of the story, detailing the onset of the plague in flashback sequences, another establishes a main character, Elijah, a teen aged boy immune to the plague. Elijah is caught up in a survival strug
Erik Erickson
Sep 11, 2010 Erik Erickson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
More post-apocalytpic manga. This one starts slow and dry but works to set the tone and foundation for becomes more engaging as it moves along. I bristled at some of the philosophical dialog from the characters, especially Layne's. For all his complaints about ignorant people with big stereotypes, he ends up doing the same for all Christians and for most Americans. But these beliefs end up varying more across characters as the story progresses and the later questions that are raised are much mor ...more
Joao
Mar 17, 2011 Joao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-over
Eden fait partie de ces œuvres qui ne laissent pas le lecteur indifférent. Projetés dans un futur post-apo où un virus a décimé l'humanité, où la nature reprend ses droits sur la civilisation et la survie passe par la loi du plus fort, nous suivons les destins implacables de protagonistes que tout oppose, et que tout lie au final. Des destins cruels, mais où l'envie d'une vie meilleure les pousse à avancer et à affronter leurs problèmes.

Hiroki Endo nous livre ici une œuvre forte, où les sentimen
budburst
Oct 09, 2015 budburst rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
跨越兩個世代,集科幻、政治、愛情、戰爭、諜報於一身的科幻漫畫,堂堂開章!第1話「開場序言」長達百頁,主題完整,然而故事裡男女主角其實並非這部漫長史詩的「總主角」,遠藤浩輝先創作出這部典型病毒末日的中篇故事,筆鋒一轉,第2話便由真正的主人公艾力亞傳承。後來遠藤用一個背景設定,掰出各種不同型態的部曲轉幕那又在話下了。

前五集的畫風筆觸,人物有點大友克洋的風格,雖然跟後來比較起來,顯得青澀,但是前五集這「第一部」爭戰逃殺戲碼卻是整部《伊甸園》我最滿意的部份。
Joseph Young
Seemed to be in an interesting set-up to a dystopian world. It did seem quite sad. Posed an interesting philosophical question about the existence of man and dealing with tragedy. Some touches of sexuality seemed odd, but not over gratuitous. One character's focus on his homosexuality also seemed stilted and out of place, but perhaps that's the translation. Will try to find the next volume.
Joshua Castleman
I think it had potential to develop into something more, but I just didn't agree with a lot of themes I could sense would be recurring philosophical ponderances throughout the series. Shame; it had some good art too.
Tim
Sep 10, 2008 Tim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those graphical stories that I wish I had seen in a different language, since while the pictures are interesting to follow, the dialog is just terrible.

Plot: The world is devastated by a virus that hardens the skin until you cannot move, and the story follows the world of the survivors.

The author slams political and religious rhetoric down your throat, which makes the conversations between the characters unrealistic and uninteresting. You know the gay character is gay because ever
Thaddeus Thumbly
The artwork is fantastic, but the writing is what really makes Eden stand out. It's set in a dystopian, futuristic world, after a virus has wiped out a large portion of the world's population. There's a conservative, pessimist tone to the novel when it deals with humanity and governments, I'll leave it at that... The characters and plot have depth and the author explores a wide variety of philosophical and sci-fi themes... there's love, coming-of-age, god and punishment, erocentrism (kindness to ...more
Brandy
So much of humanity has died of the new virus, it's easy to believe that Hannah and Ennoia are the only survivors. They've seen too many of their loved ones die, the last of them Ennoia's late father's best friend: they've seen his skin harden and his organs dissolve, a terrible death with the immune system going haywire. 20 years later, their son Elijah is on his own, save for the Cherubim robot that occasionally goes berserk and kills people.

I'm going to read more of this series. It has a "Mat
Siraj Shaikh
It might not be too profound, but I got hooked immediately. And apparently I'm not the only one. All in all, this was one of the most entertaining books that I've read.
Chris
Jul 19, 2015 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, if already dated in some of its sensibilities. Not sure it grabbed me enough to continue reading the entire series.
Tvaleros (SpadesHighReads)
Story sets on a post-apocalyptic survival genre. Where a boy starts his beginnings in a deep exploration on his role in the new world. I can't really say much about this book because honestly the (above) description says it all. I really enjoyed the book, and it was a real eye opener. I'm not really into cyberpunk but the story is very engaging and keeps you wanting to read more.

It does have explicit content 18+ (Adult language + Graphic Content). Great art work, much reverence to the story, an
Ekel Adolf
As a saga, Eden is an epic masterpiece. The problem with the first volumes is the fact that the beginninning is actually the weakest,toughest and most challenging part of the story. At this point, the risk that the user might drop off already is at its highest peak.
Oliver
Apr 29, 2014 Oliver rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
(This entry stands for the whole series.) There is a lot to like here for fans of cyberpunk and post-cyberpunk. The thread of the narrative moves fluidly between war story, crime drama, and even police procedural. I found the war story sections the most compelling. At points, there's an unevenness in tone that I found distracting. That's probably because the art is so consistently good that the usual cues for comedic breaks found in manga -- emotional exaggeration and character stylization -- ar ...more
Lord
Jul 29, 2008 Lord rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, sci-fi
I've already read the first volume of this saga many times. I like its unique athmosphere of the post-apocalyptic world. And it's just a start to one my favourite manga series ever. Hiroki Endo created a world of its own. A world of fierce fighting, beautiful women and the most detailed art you can imagine. But what I like the most is really the athmosphere and unpredactibility of the story. And that's what makes this manga special. Not to mention the always perfect treatment of Dark Horse. This ...more
Kasey Jane
The fall of mankind is the easy part. The difficulty is what comes after.

I really like the art in this one. It is the highly detailed, almost cartoony style that was very popular in early manga.

The story is good: dark and complex without melodrama. Homosexuality and atheism are discussed in the sort of matter-of-fact way that you'd expect from people facing the bigger problem of human extinction.

"The world didn't end after all. But the world that I felt good living in sure did. In a heartbea
Josei and Seinen ...: Eden Discusssion 1 5 May 01, 2013 10:17AM
  • Blame!, Vol. 1
  • Planetes, Volume 1 (Planetes, #1)
  • MPD Psycho, Vol. 1
  • PLUTO: Naoki Urasawa x Ozamu Tezuka, Band 001 (Pluto, #1)
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 1: Blood of a Thousand
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 1
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 08: Fallen Angel (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Vagabond, Vol. 1
Hiroki Endo (遠藤 浩輝) is a Japanese mangaka born on 1970 in Akita Prefecture. He graduated from Musashino Art University. He is best known for his science-fiction series Eden: It's an Endless World, which has been translated into English by Dark Horse.
More about Hiroki Endo...

Eden: It's An Endless World! (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 2 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #2)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 3 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #3)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 4 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #4)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 5 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #5)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 6 (Eden: It's an Endless World, #6)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 7 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #7)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 8 (Eden: It's an Endless World, #8)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 9 (Eden: It's an Endless World, #9)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 10 (Eden: It's an Endless World, #10)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 11 (Eden: It's an Endless World, #11)

“That is life's talent. To accept new things.” 1 likes